• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Projects of old, gather ye' resources... [Mod Compendium]

is it possible to get a newer version? the versions you got are pretty old

A newer version of which mod? If you mean DoC that is the latest version. They are working on an update as of April 23, 2012. When they release I will update this package.

@Kam, well... I'm trying to dl this for weeks now, but always stop at 34 mb, but no worries now Trilby organized a pack to me.

That sounds like a connection problem to the server. Either your ISP doesn't like it or you have a firewall or other security feature that is inhibiting you.

Level 6
I'll be releasing the newer DoC models one at a time as I finish them.

As a teaser, here's the new Azeroth Footman, the most likely candidate for first release.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FootmanMarching copy.gif
    FootmanMarching copy.gif
    63.4 KB · Views: 585
Level 2
So wait a sec, John_Drake, I'm just curious. Since you're releasing your models like this, does that mean that DoC is dead? You're not going to continue working on it?

Level 2
Ah, great! That's good to hear. ^^

I assume any significant updates will be over at the DoC hosted project forums in WC3C?

Level 6
Yeah, though we'll probably start a thread over here as well once we get things rolling again. I'll be visiting Skullpitter (the other project leader) in about a week, so hopefully that will get us back to work.

Part of the reason I want to release models one by one as I make them is to help re-motivate me to get things done. I've got a lot of half-finished models, and if I work on making them all release worthy they'll eventually get done, heh.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow. This is something that, as a self-ascribed Archivist of old mods and their ideas, I can really respect.

However (and I hate to even bring it up like this, as it makes me look rather prideful), I would appreciate at least *some* recognition in regards to Ominous Horizons. I spent many long hours painstakingly copy-pasting almost the entirety of their forum-based discussions, e-mailed everyone I could get a hold of, finally managed to contact the two co-creators, grab the vital stuff (MPQ) & get permission to use, upload & modify it, and wrote up the entire "submission" (took forever to break it up into Zip-pable chunks x/...). Only at the end did they change the submitter to "TiJiL", which I was ok with because it was his work. :p

I even wrote that juicy little history paragraph about OH that you used, & arranged those guys to take that screenshot. Just sayin'. : ) Again, props for organizing this all for the people & making them aware. Just saying 'credit where credit is due', please. :p Again, kudos & thanks.

Level 3
As far as I know, once there was a project on motive Warhammer 40k. The project for a long time is deserted (correct if I am mistaken), and the most part of its models now is in the general(common) access on this site. However some models have not received a wide circulation. Such as: Kasrkin, Vox - Radio(I am sorry if was mistaken in a spelling),Fling'boyz and Flamethrower . If it is possible, I would like to ask to lay out you them in the common access within the framework of this project.

The author of these models Burning_Dragoon5

Level 3
Thank for given links, however I have already had time to see both this site and this subject. There only images this models, but I has already found where it is possible to receive them (all but Kasrkin). It is all that Chinese site bbs.islra.org about which I mentioned in a subject of project Warhammer Reign of Terror. If it is necessary (and it is possible) I could give the direct link to these resources.

Level 3
As on models bbs.islra.org mentioned by me go as one pack with what already are on hiveworkshop, I have decided to collect models missing here in one archive and upload them is direct in this subject.

Attachments

• WH40k.rar
    470.9 KB · Views: 146

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Couple thoughts I just had:

1) I was just perusing the topic, and you realized your missing at least 2 major projects & hallmarks of Wc3 Modding... Heart of Storms and The Great Troll War Mod (headed by Dmitry Rommel and TerranUp16, respectively). HoS is 'technically' still in development (*cough* after nearly a half-decade or more?... *cough*), but see #2 below. GTW, on the other hand, is long dead, and had tons of interesting resources & such... I should know. :p

Anyway, if you wanna format that and insert it into your Compendium, I fully approve. Just make sure to throw my name somewhere; many hours of work & a lot of contacting to get all that stuff. :p Hope people here can enjoy it.

2) The title of the topic is "projects of old", yet you have some 'current/finished' (Retera's) and 'still in progress' (Dawn of Chaos) stuff. If that's the case:

2a) Heart of Storms (HoS) is still in production, but it's really, really awexome. I happen to have a lot of documentation (forum archives in Word documents, picture archives, any available models (<- which is almost none; Rommel is infamously tight-gripped and wants things fresh for the mod)), if you'd be interested.

2b) Can I put my modding stuff up on this topic? I mean, the more people know, the better. And, (haha), my project is so slow as to be dead. :p I totally am & plan on continuing it, but for the purposes of your thread, it won't change much anytime in the immediate future. :p Let me know.

Anyone is welcome to post their own material in this thread, if it's comprehensive enough I will add it to the front page.

I take it you are a steward of the GTW materials. Would you believe the original members would be ok with it being added?

I have not attempted to obtain anything for HoS, however if you would like to post promotional material as you have described I have no issue with that. You do need his permission to post models, textures, icons, sound files, etc.

I'll keep at this. I appreciate the effort on your part.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Anyone is welcome to post their own material in this thread, if it's comprehensive enough I will add it to the front page.

I have not attempted to obtain anything for HoS...
Hum, really? I'll have to think about that; I don't know if it's good/complete enough.

Kam said:
I take it you are a steward of the GTW materials. Would you believe the original members would be ok with it being added?
As much a 'steward' as is possible, I suppose (same with OH). And yes, I believe I have permission to have that posted (I should think so, given it's all up on Wc3C).

Kam said:
I'll keep at this. I appreciate the effort on your part.
Not a problem. To be honest, this is what I should've done long ago; I've made it my self-ascribed mission (at least in the past) to be the Unofficial Archivist, but mainly for my own purposes. This is good.

Level 16
So far i know he left Poland and is working now in england, and becouse of his private life beeing more importaint than modeling he left the scene.

Level 2
I'm having trouble importing the models into my world editor from DoC. I'm gonna create a new thread in the help section for the Warcraft 3 editor but I wanted to know here if anyone knew what paths I should use for the models.

Also, sorry if I accidentally necro'd this thread...

Last edited:
Level 2
Thanks Kam. How exactly would I go about that? I have the model editor but I don't see anything in here that would show me the model path...?

Last edited:
If you mean the actual model path and not the textures it is usually one of two:

war3mapimported/modelname.mdl - This is the default.

or

modelname.mdl

When you open the model in war3model editor you can look in the texture manager for texture paths. If you are missing one it will display an error with the missing texture's path when you attempt to open the model.

Level 2
I tried matching the paths in the MDX pather and tried importing the extra textures too but to no avail. It seems like these models just don't want to work with normal Warcraft 3. Either that or I'm missing something else.

EDIT: As it turns out my 2D building portrait models appear to be importing fine, but the 3D models for the buildings and units are not. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

EDIT 2: Wow. I'm such a derp. I read through the rest of this forum, found the issue with the building I was having trouble with, learned something new and useful about the model editor that solved another one of my problems... I'm good now. :) Thanks a ton for the help, guys!

Last edited:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

That's amazing. Quite detailed; almost too detailed. Probably a good T3 Uber-building.

Actually, from what I can tell, most of the "Details" are just cleverly placed textures, I'd say that the model uses the same number of polys as any other Wc3 building.

That particular model is 1 M, so it's rather large.

This is indeed the Russian mod: http://xgm.ru/p/rotlk

I have been renaming file directories for the model section so you don't receive an error when you try to open them. I will post the pack later tonight.

EDIT: Pack up.

Attachments

• Black Warrior.jpg
    Black Warrior.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Don't think I'll upload the other models to the model section here as the feedback can be stupid, so I'll most likely just upload them to this thread specifically.
Lol. Not sure what you were expecting, here at THW. Wc3C is a much better source for solid feedback.

Y'know, as long as you wait a month or three for someone to post something. x/