• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heaven's Fall: Melee Gameplay Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
A very good job, man ! Your mod is awesome, i like the new races, the story is good, and i can see that you put a lot of effort to create this

Could you please expand on what you mean by templating? The idea sounds extremely useful but I don't quite know what you're getting at. I'm already a bit worried about unitIDs in my own custom race mod, and at the same time would like to have 'plug and play' races (i.e. I can release a finished MPQ containing one race, and then work off that MPQ for the next race).

... any possibility of sharing that little secret? :p

In modding, I make unit data, art assets, and scripts. Merging art data has always been fairly easy with the help of MPQ editing software, and is made even easier with JNGP which I scarcely touched in the original development of most of what is in HF right now.

So, although I recognize that some people here on the hive probably have even more effective systems for managing their content, what I mean is that I have now re-used enough of the stuff in the mod that I can see the two best things to make data merging easier are to have a streamlined process for scripts, and a streamlined process for unit data.

Scripts aren't that hard because I just took all of the spell systems and libraries used in HF and put them in one single jass library file that I import into maps while I work on them. For unit data, JNGP lets you choose unit IDs, so I made the effort to actually choose unique unit IDs like blizzard did when developing the original game. This means that I can make all the units in separate maps, and still merge them with just a couple of clicks in JNGP because there were be no unit ID collisions (JNGP was designed to fix unit collisions like 'u000' and 'U000' from two separate sources, but they fixed it by using special characters such as 'u0!#' that crash some of the modding software I use to produce the production version of HF, so unit ID collisions are still a problem).

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92572084/TurtleRider.png

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
HE LIIIIIIVES!

Lol, j/k. It hasn't been that long. :p

Nice Turtle-Walrus-face.

//EDIT// - I'm still trying to figure out if JNGP is worth my time. I've nearly removed any need for multiple buffs (so no ABuff), but I still have a few (v?)JASS triggers from others that I can't duplicate. But it's so obtuse...

Level 1
Ah, okay. I haven't yet made the transition into JNGP but I suppose I should. Thanks for the answer. :)

Short fully, I recommend JNGP 2.0.7(or 2.0.8?) for use rather than the rest as it has highest stability and features.
I thought JNGP was waste of time first but when I met VJass I reconsider and finally use it (back then I use 2.0.4, the latest at Blizzard Modding). I'm satisfied with it, just make sure antivirus are whitelisting them or else JNGP is doomed.

Racing against the clock to get things done.

I was unable to complete my vision for HF v2 on time; I will continue working, but in the meantime I am about to release an update for HF through its current updater system that will replace the Freezing Legion with the WIP Northpact, and upgrade the Lost Tribe building models (which really needed that).

Edit: I'm concerned that "removal" of the HF v1 Freezing Legion might prove to be annoying for anyone who enjoys playing them in that version, until such a time that the HF v2 freezing legion is satisfactorily completed. Probably going to replace the Risen instead.

Another Edit: That countdown timer was an hour short even in my time zone for some reason. Update will probably be out within the hour.

Third Edit: My editor has been crashing numerous times as I piece together these files. I almost wonder if it's getting to be time I should write my own editor or something.

HF v1 w/ additions Progress Report:
Unit Data Blending: 100%
Unit Data Compiling: Program run completed.
Script Blending: 100%
Heroes and Town Hall on Global List (for code): Yes
Asset Blending: 100%
Testing Configuration: 100% (large number of issues found) (releasing anyway)
Uploading to Net: 100% (first upload failed, repeating some portions, dropbox.com is rejecting uploads)

(This is finished.)

Edit: So basically I just created a jumbled mess. Anybody who can figure out why the BTNTemp icon with "Default string" tooltip is filling up the unit queue info panel at the bottom even when the building is first constructing (which I didn't even know was possible until this new version) will get lots of praise!

Last edited:
Level 3
yay testing the new race and new update, i like the icicle workers :) but the fodd building costs 52 wood? I would be fine with just 50, but whatever. and yeah lol what is up with that default string, maybe just do a brief overcheck on the coding and I will play all races and see if there r any that don't have it, like the new building models though. lol while i was typing the enemy attacked me and destroyed my food farm, nuuuu :( why does the legion grandmaster not have any descriptionm like the other new heroes? he is not the only new hero, :( lol all those default strings when u train something, maybe you put something somewhere about building or training or upgrading, because they seem to take up the numbered, empty slots. yet they dont count as units or upgrades, as they get overwritten when i train something else. agggh no early base defence? I'm dying!!!! nuuuu! i also notice that it uses allot of placeholders from the freezing legion? and i've pretty much been killed while typing this and not really paying attention to the multiplayer (yet singleplayed) match. and i'v lost, its not your fault, i hadn't ieven realised the match had started and when it did i didn't know until it was too late :(, nice idea though, just need to flesh thwe race out, I can't wait for the HF2 though, and maybe, who knows, HF3 will be its own program *wink wink*. good luck, and..... peace out.

Level 3
list of known default string races: zear fallen, north-pact, enlightened tide, freezing legion (note: when the bar is full of units and then finishes one, the default string comes back.), lost tribe, void spawn (note: only buildings that produce upgrades or units seem to have this default string problemo, because some void spawn buildings and when training some void spawn units, the default string doesn't appear, this is probs because these building are only being built, have nothing to produce, or only have the one production slot?), the final alliance (note: does not affect garrisons, it seems to only be when production of something or when building a production capable unit or building)

Level 3
now do note: the default string isn't really game breaking or annoying, just weird bug, maybe it could be discovered and useful? as in maybe it could be used to setup something to be built while the building is being built, like a small barricade surrounding it (just replace default string with sandbag on that building, and it would cost nothing and constantly be produced, so that the building is completely surrounded) or so that it will produce a special side building ( kind of like the starcraft building upgrade thingies, for the terrans)

Level 3
also is the campaign going to surround some giant dead skeletons surrounding some sort of relic of doom? because thats what the background on the main menu kind of says, also sorry for all the comments after comments, don't ban me :(

Great to see the excitement there, leonidas555551! For me it was a bit dismaying to not be able to release something more fully functional yesterday, so I'll be making even better things as I have time available.

I like the base defense suggestion; in earlier versions of HF, that was something that was often forgotten. And, it's true, the +2 armor bonus of the lantern glow on the igloos is not a particularly noticeable effect (and creating those Snow Pile objects that give +3 damage requires tech level 2).

Do you think I should add something more for their base defense, or remove the requirement on the Snow Piles?

Will u fix the Necromancer race green icons

Yes, this will be addressed sometime soon. They have been removed from the choices in-game until they are more complete.

Edit:

Did some research about how the game works in regards to the glitch BTNTemp stuff. I managed to write "uber win" onto the screen there, but haven't actually resolved why the thing shows up at the wrong time.

Partly, the problem just spurred me to think about how that part of the game works. I had a curious thought about customizing some stuff, but it looks like it's not going to work.

Attachments

• understand_error.png
    understand_error.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Since it was the holidays, I ended up taking a break after it all wasn't working and spent some time making a mod that I'll probably never release just for the sake of relaxing:

takin_break_pic2.png

takin_break_game.png

Quite agreed that a lot could use fixing in the new stuff. I'll need some more time to get that all fixed up.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Retera said:
Racing against the clock to get things done.

I was unable to complete my vision for HF v2 on time; I will continue working, but in the meantime I am about to release an update for HF through its current updater system that will replace the Freezing Legion with the WIP Northpact, and upgrade the Lost Tribe building models (which really needed that).

HF v1 w/ additions Progress Report:
Unit Data Blending: 100%
Unit Data Compiling: Program run completed.
Script Blending: 100%
Heroes and Town Hall on Global List (for code): Yes
Asset Blending: 100%
Testing Configuration: 100% (large number of issues found) (releasing anyway)
Uploading to Net: 100% (first upload failed, repeating some portions, dropbox.com is rejecting uploads)

(This is finished.)
Woah, you had an actual "countdown timer" you set for yourself, to keep yourself to a deadline? That's pretty beast, mate. : )

I gotta say, you are an inspiration to those of us who continue to slog on in our projects... Lazy blokes like me (who really should do more work) ought to take a leaf outta your book. : )

While it sounded like a good idea initially, I was a bit dismayed by the quality of what I released when I forced a deadline on myself.

But, from the standpoint of an inspiration, sure, it can be a good idea.

EDIT: I FOUND IT!

The magical mystical curse of the new year has been solved!

On line 10104 of ItemData.slk, there was a STRAY NEWLINE CHARACTER!

Code:
C;Y308;X1;K"Ipyg"
C;X3;K"Custom_Ipyg"
C;X4;K0
C;X5;K"Charged"
C;X6;K2
C;X7;K3
C;X8;K"AIw1"
C;X9;K"AIw1
AIw1"
C;X10;K0
C;X11;K3
C;X12;K14
C;X13;K1

And it should've looked like this:

Code:
C;Y308;X1;K"Ipyg"
C;X3;K"Custom_Ipyg"
C;X4;K0
C;X5;K"Charged"
C;X6;K2
C;X7;K3
C;X8;K"AIw1"
C;X9;K"AIw1"
C;X10;K0
C;X11;K3
C;X12;K14
C;X13;K1

Once I fixed that in Notepad, everything got better! The Tuskarr Chieftain's fishing started actually catching fish, the BTNTemp icons all went away... It solved all the really dumb problems!

Edit: An update fixing this was released. Note that it's just the notepad hotfix, so most of the game components are still the same and in need of work, but the truly broken game interface stuff is fixed.

Last edited:
Level 3
Yay! i knew u would find it. and maybe in future, who knows? the power of what u discovered could prove to be more useful than demonically annoying :D keep it up Ret, don't get too frustrated, dont put to much workload on yourself. you can do it!

With classes starting back up, it may be hard for me to do much updating for a while.

I was troubled by how much of my development time was spent doing tasks that could've been automated like importing files, and not by actually designing new content.

I started an effort to re-code the Object Editor with new features, but have not yet finished. See attached image for example of some progress on that.

Edit: In the picture shown, none of the values were hard-coded -- they were pulled from the warcraft game data in a similar manner to the real world editor. That was the code advancement I was trying to show -- a first step in rebuilding the world editor's object editor so that I can add powerful features.

Edit: In comparison to the real world editor, you might note that there were 3 neutral passive units more than in the real game. I believe this was because I did not hide Sammy! and the Kobold Shoveler's data while loading unit data.

Attachments

• WIP_Object_Editor.png
    WIP_Object_Editor.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Level 1
Map Selection Bug

i would like some help for some reason when i play the mod and try and select the maps if i wanted to browse my maps i downloaded and i click one 3 maps my game crashes has this bug been fixed or not if so please tell me :ogre_haosis:

Level 3
i would like some help for some reason when i play the mod and try and select the maps if i wanted to browse my maps i downloaded and i click one 3 maps my game crashes has this bug been fixed or not if so please tell me :ogre_haosis:

maps that are in the downloads folder generally are modified maps, and therefore, because heavens fall modifies pretty much everything in the game, they will not work when playing heavens fall, now, if your talking about a custom made map made by yourself in the heavens fall world editor, i believe there is a bug where the game mpq files and the world editor mpq files are different so they are not compatible, although i could be wrong retera?

Status
Not open for further replies.