• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Post your map here for an In-Depth Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I haven't added a new version with fixes in awhile, working on A.I. At the moment which is almost done. I'll re-upload the new map soon.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
I won't add another map to your long list of reviews, but when you're done with all the maps, I'll guess you can review Missile Wars. You don't have to (but perhaps when you have reviewed all the maps!). Well you played the map so you can pretty much say your opinion about it I guess.

Missile War 0.53b

Base Rating
The Base Rating forms the base of the map's score.

Fun X X -
This map has a simple goal. Sends missiles and rockets on each other. It's fun to see the enemy shields go down and DESTROY ENEMY STRUCTURES!!! It's quench my bloodthirst a little when I see the workers and harvesters *Splats* when they die. But that's it.

Balanced X X -
The Missile and shield features is quite balance, but the expensive weapons seems a bit to powerful.

Original X - -
You based this map from another mapper. Also there exist many such maps, so I can't say this is a original map

Polished X X -
You have done some updates to the map, so it's somewhat polished and It's okay to understand the game. However the tutorial isn't the best...

Optimized - - -
It's playable at start, but the lagg will build up quickly. I've never played such a laggy map before. It's so laggy that my computer fps drops below 1!!!

*Merits*
You only get one merit category, and it happens to be the most common one to receive.

Small File Size √ √
277 KB is rather small. That's enough for a double merit.

*Demerits*
Demerits obviously bring down the score.

Extremely laggy √ √ √ √
Seriously, your game lagg like a bitch! Optimize your triggers. This game will eventually become unplayable. Imo it deserves a guinness record for the most laggy warcraft map ever made.

Seriously, Missile Wars is horrible. You need to put some serious work into this for it to be anything other than laggy garbage map. Otherwise the map is a bit fun.

Base Rating
Fun X X -
Balanced X X -
Original X - -
Polished X X -
Optimized - - -

*Merits*
Small File Size √ √

*Demerits*
Extremely Laggy √ √ √ √

(The numerical rating goes from 1.00-5.00, but the under-the-hood calculation can go below zero and above six, changing the rating description)

Rating: 2.00
Description: Fair

Replay isn't needed!

Level 13
First off, you calculated the score incorrectly. Second, there is no demerit for extreme lag (falls under optimization) and even if there was, there are no quadruple demerits. Third, you're kinda missing the Immersive category.

By the way, the queue problem fixes itself when there is a long line; people won't add their map to a line that will take a week to go through, will they?

Level 13
Tetris review

rover2341
Tetris

It's not easy to go wrong with something like Tetris. This map definitely proves this; Tetris (this map) is a very well put-together map with a few relatively minor problems that don't get in the way of the game very much. This basically means that Tetris is extraordinarily devoid of flaws and remains fun, thus it earns my approval.

Base Rating
The base rating serves as the main chunk of the score.

Fun X X X
Tetris is Tetris. It's not something you're going to want to play constantly, but its definitely something you're going to want to play with at least a couple times if not more.

Balanced X X X
The levels scale up well and all that. Not much can go wrong in this category since the map is Tetris after all...

Original X X -
Tetris hasn't been on Warcraft III before this map was made, so that's an instant 2 points. The remaining point lost is mainly because you can't rotate blocks and there's no actual original gameplay elements in it.

Polished X X X
This map is obviously well-polished; everything simply seems full and completed (except for the lack of rotation). Well done!

Immersive X X -
If I could rotate blocks, this would be a 3. It just isn't Tetris like I know it without rotation...

Optimized X X -
My frame rate dove as the blocks accumulated... I'm not sure how you could remedy this. This is mainly due to my graphics card, however; the real reason you lost a point here is because Warcraft III crashed when I chose not to play again after a couple games.

*Merits*
Merits bring up the score.

Small File Size -
760 KB is enough for a single merit here.

Un-Warcraft
Obviously, Tetris is pretty far from Warcraft or strategy games in general.

Fancy Coding -
Tetris isn't the easiest thing in the world to code for Warcraft III. It's not super-complicated, but it's more intensive than most maps. That's enough for a single merit in the Fancy Coding category.

*Demerits*
Demerits bring down the score. Luckily, this map has none.

There's not much I can point out to you beyond the lack of rotation, minor performance issues, and the lack of original gameplay content. This is a very well-done map and certainly deserves its current standing as the highest-rated map thus far.

Base Rating
Fun X X X
Balanced X X X
Original X X -
Polished X X X
Immersive X X -
Optimized X X -

*Merits*
Small File Size -
Un-Warcraft
Fancy Coding -

(The numerical rating goes from 1.00-5.00, but the under-the-hood calculation can go below zero and above six, changing the rating description)

Rating: 4.34
Description: -Very Good-

Unfortunately, the score screen isn't shown after the game. In fact, I crashed out of Warcraft III after the game.

Note: Rotation apparently is in the game, but the rating shall remain.

Last edited:
Level 12
Thank you Dark.Revenant for testing my game, I am very happy with my score. and i will improve on it with your suggestions.

Things You pointed out:

1)

The remaining point lost is mainly because you can't rotate blocks...

Wait you can rotate the blocks...Like the Up Or W button would not turn the block? Hmm, I wounder if it has to do with keyboreds being diffrent of some sort.
The arrow keys dont run as good as the wasd keys. but they should both work...
You did mean rotate the blocks right?
I never tested it on a mac.
Or did you mean, Rotate what block you use, like you can hold a block, or save it? sorta speak.

Hmm... I guess i should have tested this on a mac...I haven't had it crash on me, yet. But believe it happened. Hmm... Ill see if theres anything i can do to fix this.

2)

Unfortunately, the score screen isn't shown after the game. In fact, I crashed out of Warcraft III after the game.
Well i told it to skip the score screen, Hmm not sure about it freezing after.

3)

and there's no actual original gameplay elements in it.
I was really thinking that i would get a much lower review because of this.

Its not mulitplayer because of the delay i fell is too much.
I do have a few easy ideas, Make the blocks be warcraft people or circles ect.
few more game modes (timed mode, surviaal mode (lines get added from the bottom over time).
maybe a few more effects.
A Way To lower the settings so the computers that don't run it well, can run it sommoth.

Any ways thnx for the Review. Because of this review i know where i can improve. on this.

Edit: My next update will polish a few thigns, like the icons. But you didn't seem to say the ones i had were that bad.

P.S. I believe in the give a little take a little, If theres anything i can do for you since you took the time to test my game. Msg me.

Last edited:
Level 12
AH, Well W should rotate it, or up. You should not be able to move the piece up...
I gonna guess you used the version from Tetris Beta v.1.1a.w3x. The one from the map section. Its the most updated one. Been there a few weeks.

I guess it doesn't work on macs (no idea), But it does on pcs, or at least at the testing i have done online have shown it worked.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
May I bother you xD - I'll extend your queue with another map.

Can you review my map? Naval Battle

I know it could get -score cuz of the unchanged BS starting terrain, but I hate reterraining. I expanded the map greatly to add another dimension to the game, as well as a basic movement engine.

Last edited:
Level 6
I know this is probably not needed to be said, but your reviews seem dead on, fair, and flexible. I like your rating system, and I can see why you got all defensive about other ppl reviewing (because they do it differently). And I personally don't think you should have to worry about replays, because if anyone doubts you, they should just download the map and try themselves.

Level 17
What?

Anyway, Dark.Renevant... Umm... Nothing...

I'm making a new map... Tell me if any of these is what you would call "fun".

A) sniper game consisting of different sniper weapons, may also use camouflage. You can go prone and sneak somewhere. 3rd person view and alot of sound effects. Shooting an unsilenced gun will cause a signal on the minimap, or shooting a silenced gun will confuse the enemy.

B) a scary murder game where you can hide in the fields and ect, with a 3rd person view camera. Sound effects and even a "sign" that the murderer is near you to freak you out more. Just like the murderer kind where in you will hear a "I'm a barbie girl song" xD

C) guitar hero game. You know... Sound, speed, and tapping the key arrows.

When you choose one, I will work on it...

Level 13
What?

Anyway, Dark.Renevant... Umm... Nothing...

I'm making a new map... Tell me if any of these is what you would call "fun".

A) sniper game consisting of different sniper weapons, may also use camouflage. You can go prone and sneak somewhere. 3rd person view and alot of sound effects. Shooting an unsilenced gun will cause a signal on the minimap, or shooting a silenced gun will confuse the enemy.

B) a scary murder game where you can hide in the fields and ect, with a 3rd person view camera. Sound effects and even a "sign" that the murderer is near you to freak you out more. Just like the murderer kind where in you will hear a "I'm a barbie girl song" xD

C) guitar hero game. You know... Sound, speed, and tapping the key arrows.

When you choose one, I will work on it...

I'd advise against all three, unless you REALLY pulled A off. B isn't unique enough and C just won't work.

Level 9
The leak message mentions units boarding a ship.
I believe Winter Maul has a ship at the end, which could suggest some of the triggers were copied...

Level 9
Hello, the map Shadow Hunters v1.5 AI is a sniper map, with 3 modes and thousands of options that im sure you will have fun testing if you like to be sniper, before releasing the version i want to make sure that there arent any bugs, the known bugs are :
1-Ai sucks at CTF (doesnt capture flag, moves only randomly)
2-Sometimes shooting at the head from the back may miss (will be fixed on the full release)
3-Ai may cast spells on teammates (usually not)

Map Informations:
Changelog:
-Added AI (bots) to the map
-Reworked the ability Barrage
-Reworked the ability Airstrike
-Reworked loading screen
-Added some quests that include credits, controls revised, and blacklsit
-Added a blacklist system
-Added a new command : -Hidemessage, -Showmessage (all)
-Added a new command : -DisableCollision, -EnableCollision (player red only)
-Added a new command : -Suicide (all)
-Players now have sometime to read Commands
-Reduced map size by ~400 KB
-Changed some sounds for optimizing features (i feel this one is retarded ) )
-Reduced map lag by ~3-4 times (now slow PCs can play the map)
-Most of system messages color important text with the color Red now
-Reworked CTF flag region, and map edges (unsure if its the same map edges for v1.4)
-Minor Sniper Model Changes
-Fog now changes with the terrain type

Many other changes that i forgot to write, play to see.
:
Modes: -Capture the flag, -Team deathmatch, -Free for All
Suggested Players : 1-10
Genre : Warfare (Realistic Sniper)
Ammo per magazine : 15/10/5/1/none (choosable by host)
Musics : 43 (read commands)
Can manually customize scope - Yes

Controls : Arrows (move sniper or scope) (can use mouse for sniper's movement)
Z : Reload
X : Shoot
C : Magnify (for scope only)
V : Activate Sniper Scope
A : Sprint
S : Stop
D : Barrage
F : Throw Bomb
R : Air Strike

Terrains:
Northerend (Ice Environment)
Ashenvale (Forest Environment)
Barrens (Desert Environment)
Hell (Hell Environment)
Iceworld (Frozen Environment)
Underground (Deep Cave Environment)

Sky/Weather : Dependant on terrain

What i need is bug reports/suggestions
Alot of +Reps to be given, direct suggestions/reports/comments prefered

If i forgot anything to say you can remind me )

thanks, have fun

i cant upload via hiveworkshop for some reason, heres via mediafire:
Shadow Hunters v1.5 AI.w3x

Your reviews are very nice, hope you review this one, i gave you +rep

Level 13
I tried playing R U A Rtard today... Multiple times. I couldn't get past the gargoyles no matter how well I spammed pig construction; they'd autotarget me after a few seconds. This happened to everyone in the game all four or so times. Thus, it doesn't get a review because I can only see about 1/10 of it.

I just now played Uncharted Waters... I crashed out of it after about 3 minutes of combat.

Please get this fixed... I crashed as soon as I scrolled my screen off to the edge of the abyss.
I have recently noticed this myself as well...
But the game doesn't crash always. For me, only about 1 / 10 games crash. It could be that some settings are more likely to cause the game to crash.

What settings were you using?
Would it be possible for you to test the game again?
And how did you crash? Disconnect? Fatal Error? Server split?

Level 11
Sry here, i have reread the post and i found something not confuse here.

Polished X X -
This is th..................................................Second, this map suffers from the Information Overload™ syndrome that plagues maps that try something different. In other words, there is a lot of text floating around on the map and the screen that daunts the players and makes them especially susceptible to leaving. ....................................................................
the word susceptible to leaving. mean leaving the area or leaving the game?
the word Information Overload™ is what information overload?

And i can't view the replay because i having warcraft 3 v1.21e

Level 13
Not too good at English, I see?

Basically, it means there's too much "help" and information floating around the screen near the beginning of the game. This makes players want to leave the game.

Also, the crash was the standard FATAL ERROR (without a dialog, obviously, since I run a Mac). The settings were something along the lines of including powerups, no alliances, abyss edge, moderate amount of islands...

Also, the crash was the standard FATAL ERROR (without a dialog, obviously, since I run a Mac). The settings were something along the lines of including powerups, no alliances, abyss edge, moderate amount of islands...
Now that's new... It's the first Fatal error that has happened in my map.
The map has a couple of times caused a server split, but never a fatal error before

Hmm.. I wonder if it only happens on Macs :con:

Level 13
Cannon Defense review

Bob27
Cannon Defense

Cannon Defense is a fairly entertaining map, but it has some fundamental problems that bury its potential.

Base Rating
The Base Rating forms the base of the score...

Fun X X -
Cannon Defense was a fairly fun map, but has definite room for improvement. After level 5 or so, every upgrade is finished and gold becomes used exclusively for lives, for example. Perhaps more upgrade options and something to make the game more replayable? Also, the base gameplay is a bit... bleh. It just comes down to clicking somewhere in front of the enemies and watch them die. The boss fights are especially boring. Improve this category, please.

Balanced X X X
There's nothing that can really go wrong in this section, so Cannon Defense gets all three points.

Original X X -
Cannon Defense is a fairly original idea with some unique features such as an interesting terrain and theme, but the rest is basically either an old and dusty formula used in other maps or simply vanilla WarCraft III.

Polished X X -
The map was generally fine, but it had a few annoying problems. First of all, the quests menu was incomplete - the text was cut off. Also, the cannons and the leaderboard would block visibility fairly often, the latter of which would make it hard to shoot units on the path leading up to the point of life loss. There's a few other things I could mention, but in general the polish was OK.

Immersive X X -
I'm not sure what to say for this category... The whole feel of the map was fairly ordinary, to put it in my cryptic terms. The immersion wasn't spectacular, but it didn't suck either.

Optimized X X -
The map had a pretty good idle frame rate. It's not like anything is terribly complicated in Cannon Defense, though. However, with a bunch of units, terrain, and flamestrike effects on a flat plane (sometimes with weather), the frame rate on my computer goes out the window. This didn't hurt the gameplay too terribly, but it was annoying.

*Merits*
Merits boost your score.

Small File Size √ √
208 KB is damn small. Good job!

*Demerits*
No demerits here!

Cannon Defense is very hard to categorize. In a way, it's TOO simple, and this really brings it down. It could definitely be improved with relatively little work, though.

Base Rating
Fun X X -
Balanced X X X
Original X X -
Polished X X -
Immersive X X -
Optimized X X -

*Merits*
Small File Size √ √

Rating: 3.88
Description: Good

Attachments

• Cannon Defense.w3g
    123.3 KB · Views: 62
Level 13
I realize that my reviews are gradually shrinking in size. This is because I don't want to list every single problem like a beta tester would. I'm giving an unbiased first-time-impression (or 2nd+3rd time if the map is really fun), because I know mapmakers lose sight of the impact the game has on first time players and the problems those players would notice.

Level 4
Wow, good job on reviewing so many people's map.
You're very correct. I tested them too and looked at thoose points.
You should get paid for it, cause you could review many maps wich gets alot better.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
You're fit for a map moderator, if you like to play all kind of maps that is... Currently not long time ago 2 map moderators we're hired... :/

You must explain the word the meaning of the word "Immersive", cuz my dictionary that word doesn't exist...

Level 11
Yo, me again xD
My brother have also done a map, and need your review~
he has no account at here so i help him to send ~
his my not lame also ~
pls help him for a review , tyty

Attachments

• RotH_ver2.11_BETA1.w3x
    266.2 KB · Views: 23
Level 13
Dread Wars review

ShadowHunter291
Dread Wars

There are three kinds of map names. The first type is of names that are attached to a map; these range from ones like Dread Wars (ones that seem a little corny and have trouble attracting battle.net joins) to decent names that are catchy. The second type is worse - names of which a map is attached to; these are usually crappy names that are associated with crappy maps, almost always a duplicate of some other map. The third type is the best: names that have meaning in the map but do not define it. This introduction has nothing to do with Dread Wars beyond the point that it doesn't get very many joins. This probably attests to its replayability...

Base Rating
The base rating is exactly as it says.

Fun X X -
Dread Wars was fairly fun, but it's not something that I will jump out to play for a second time. For a large variety of reasons, the fun didn't seem to blow me away, so I give it a two out of three. If there are any questions about this, SEE BELOW.

Balanced X - -
The balance between units and abilities is done well, of course. This is only natural with all-custom units and abilities. The problem Dread Wars has is not with its individual checks and balances but with the overall big picture. It is fairly obvious to everyone who plays this map that it is intended to be a full-on strategy map, but it just doesn't play that way. Sure, there are strategy elements, but all it really boils down to is who can expand and research up the tiers the fastest. After that point, all strategy beyond making an alliance and telling what your slaves to do goes out the window - it's only a matter of time before that fastest person wins. Another problem is that gameplay styles clash in a very ugly manner. Instead of combining tactics and strategy in a fun way, the tactics are basically left to be a muddle of crud for all but experienced players who understand what every unit does and the strategy is destroyed after 15-30 minutes of play. Finally, the whole preserving the souls business needs serious tweaking. At best, it's a temporary, necessary duty to get souls. At worst, it's an annoying chore that takes your attention away from the real game.

Original X X X
I haven't played anything quite like this before, which is saying a lot. Every unit and ability was basically custom and the overall gameplay elements were fairly unique. This adds up to a full three for Originality.

Polished X X -
Dread Wars had the obvious feel of effort that one gets with maps that have been given hard work in production. This is reflected in the overall polish; I have few gripes. The spelling and grammar seemed to be spotless and the game didn't try to overload the player with forced information. The reason why this category is a two rather than a three is because it feels... cluttered. Too much stuff seems to be happening at once and it really hurts. There was no better category to put this, so I chose polish.

Immersive X X -
The feel and overall immersion of the map was broken only by the sort of cluttered look to it and several unfitting terrain tiles. Really, pick a different tileset.

Optimized X - -
A slightly below-par average frame rate and major frame rate skips every 1.5 seconds is NOT good. I'm guessing the frame rate skips are because of your multiboard. Get it optimized or it will deter more players.

*Merits*
You have one. Congratulations.

Theme
The theme of Dread Wars was consistent and fairly well done. This is enough for a Theme merit.

*Demerits*
You don't have any. Congratulations.

Dread Wars... Yeah, I don't have anything else to say about it. It has potential to be sure, but it needs work.

Base Rating
Fun X X -
Balanced X - -
Original X X X
Polished X X -
Immersive X X -
Optimized X - -

*Merits*
Theme

Rating: 3.15
Description: Acceptable

I could not save a replay because my computer crashed some time after my opponent won the game. I was talking with him about the game and discussing our opinions (he was an experienced player). My computer had its periodic overheating problem and crashed in the middle of that, so I could not get a replay.

Level 6
Hey thanks for the review. I can't argue with any of that, its dead on. I have this bad habit of trying to put as much cool stuff into a map as possible, I guess I tend to overdo it :hohum: I'm not exactly sure I follow what you meant about the tileset, but I do understand the clutter. I might just redo the terrain entirely.
And the framerate, I'm not sure what the problem is (I've never had any problem), but if its the multiboard I'll definitely look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.