• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Post your map here for an In-Depth Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Not sure about other Map Moderators, but any map with approval here, is (imo) approval worthy. Dark.Revenant, if any of the maps posted here don't have approval in the maps section, please let me know with a PM. Include the link obviously.

Level 15
Okay, this map is still a beta, but have fun with it.

Random AoS is, like the name says, an AoS which has a random subject. The theme is actually based on people I know. They normally submit ideas that I like (hence why they're the theme) and I usually implement them.

There are 9 heroes and it's a 4v4 map (maybe 5v5 in the future, but I like 4v4 gameplay most). It uses no custom models and has very few imports (a sound file, an icon, and a minimap icon). The items in the map are generic Warcraft III items found in mainly any AoS. The reason is is because I'm still working on core things like heroes and their abilities.

The terrain is very simple with few ambush points. It's not final, as I'm still deciding what to do with the edges on both sides.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=87556&prev=u=En_Fuego

Level 13
Stargate: The New Conflict review

Sure, I'll take you up on that, Gilles.

Also, if people are wondering, I feel no remorse about being brutally honest. I hope I don't hurt people's feelings when I give them low scores, because if someone takes offense at the number I give him/her (provided I'm not cussing that person out or something ridiculous like that), I will take offense at myself for even bothering to review that undeserving person's map. So far, this has not come up. Thank God.

Besides, it's just the internet.

nesatauri
Stargate: The New Conflict

Stargate: The New Conflict is a map made with Reign of Chaos, not The Frozen Throne. Unfortunately, this limits the map's potential substantially. Nevertheless, there is no excuse for the fact that this map is severely lacking in every department.

Base Rating
The base rating is basically exactly as it's called.

Fun X - -
Stargate was not very fun. It wasn't depressingly boring, but I wasn't very entertained.

Balanced X X -
The map layout is pretty bad. Not enough gold, a huge chunk of lumber, a boring layout, etc. The two points Stargate got was because it uses melee units, which come pre-balanced.

Original X - -

One point for the Stargate theme. The rest is vanilla melee.

Polished - - -
No sign of polish at all. Such a shame...

Immersive X - -
A barely attempted Stargate earns one point for immersion. The rest is just bleh.

Optimized X - -
Somehow, the map ran very badly. Everyone was averaging 15-20fps on a mostly MELEE map! What the fuck is going on in the triggers?

*Merits*

Merits are good points.

Small File Size √ √
472 KB is enough for a small file size double merit.

*Demerits*
You have no demerits.

Stargate: The New Conflict is one of those maps that is very easy to review. Easy maps for review are the ones that are irrevocably good or, more commonly, unforgivably bad. Judging by the score, it's not too hard to figure out which of the two this one is.

Base Rating
Fun X - -
Balanced X X -
Original X - -
Polished - - -
Immersive X - -
Optimized X - -

*Merits*

Small File Size √ √

(The numerical rating goes from 1.00-5.00, but the under-the-hood calculation can go below zero and above six, changing the rating description)

Rating: 1.05
Description: Very Bad

I captured a rather interesting replay... You should see it.

Attachments

• Stargate.w3g
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
Level 4
dark rev, first of all i really enjoy reading through your critques, it allows me to see where other people went wrong and how to fix it.

secondly i have one suggestion to your reviewing formula.

Perhaps you should integrate another base scoring item as Replayability. Often successful maps are ones that are replayable and provide different experiences every time. Just my 2c

Level 11
Level 4
could you comment on my map?
It is a little observation along the tradition and spirit of Blizzards the death sheep, thus it is a mini game. You will be asked questions and trick questions about what the game shows you and the challenge is to give the right answers.

Level 3
Thank you for the review!

It is at least more specific than "map sucks." I can work to correct it now.

So, what is interesting about the replay? Did someone dial your gate to prevent you from progressing in the game? I intended to leave that in as a potential strategy, but right now, I suppose, its too strong of a strategy and can make the game grind to a halt.

I can't view it because I have yet to buy the TFT expansion. $20, but I'm cheap :xxd:. A bit strange that the replay needs the expansion. Could Dark.Revenant or Vicboy or anyone else tell me what happened in the replay?

The FPS issue may be because of weather effects. It may be because of memory leaks but noone has berated me for leaky triggers yet.

And yes, the layout sucks. Its that way because of my first attempt to get the computer players to do behave like I wanted them to.

Perhaps I should concentrate on making a campaign rather than try to squeeze everything into a single map.

Level 13
Apocalypse Day review

Rating: 0.00
Description: Crashes on loading

Damn, and it sounded like such a fun map, too...

May this be a lesson to everyone; always have your maps be platform-compatible. I will not play a map I cannot run on my Macintosh!

Level 11
Rating: 0.00
Description: Crashes on loading

Damn, and it sounded like such a fun map, too...

May this be a lesson to everyone; always have your maps be platform-compatible. I will not play a map I cannot run on my Macintosh!

lol, first time i hear this... i didn't knew, sorry for that
and i dunno the reason why map crashes on Mac :eek:
btw i have 1.21b patch

Level 12
Hi

Hi, If you would like to test my tetris map that would be great.

By the way. I guess this wont matter because you
can only test what you play and not whats to come.

But there will be better icons for spells.
and there Most likey will be a roation system.
But still one player at a time.

Mulitplayer is still undecided because of the slow input.

Also keep in mind the The WASD Keys run better then the arrow keys.
But the arrow keys you can hold down and the blocks will slide.

DL For map , Pictures and Basic info.
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=100868

Level 17
Dark.Revenant or Vicboy or anyone else tell me what happened in the replay?

The FPS issue may be because of weather effects. It may be because of memory leaks but noone has berated me for leaky triggers yet.

And yes, the layout sucks. Its that way because of my first attempt to get the computer players to do behave like I wanted them to.

Perhaps I should concentrate on making a campaign rather than try to squeeze everything into a single map.

Hmm... So you can't view it? I'll check in to your replay... Expect some notes on what people said in the game also some screenshots...

This is only is Dark.Rev retries and reviews my map :cute:

Weather Effects? No, its really a problem really...

But, this thing caught my eye

• spawn frequency
    • Events
      • Time - Every (8.00 x 60.00) seconds of game time
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Unit Group - Pick every unit in creepspawn and do (Unit - Create 1 creepType[((11 x creeplevel) + (Integer A))] for Neutral Hostile at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing (Random angle) degrees))
  • unitcount main
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Spawns a summoned unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Finishes training a unit
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Finishes reviving
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Dies
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Is issued an order targeting an object
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Begins construction
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Begins construction
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.01 seconds
      • For each (Integer A) from (Player number of (Triggering player)) to (Player number of (Triggering player)), do (Trigger - Run unitcount subfunction <gen> (ignoring conditions))
      • If ((Unit-type of (Ordered unit)) Equal to Banshee) then do (Trigger - Run unitcount Daily <gen> (ignoring conditions)) else do (Do nothing)
      • If ((Player number of (Triggering player)) Greater than or equal to 7) then do (Set unitcounts[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (unitcounts[(Player number of (Triggering player))] - 1)) else do (Do nothing)
  • unitcount Daily
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.02 seconds
      • Game - The in-game time of day becomes Equal to 12.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Trigger - Run unitcount subfunction <gen> (ignoring conditions))
      • For each (Integer A) from 7 to 12, do (Set unitcounts[(Integer A)] = (unitcounts[(Integer A)] - 1))
  • unitcount subfunction
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set unitcounts[(Integer A)] = (Number of units in (Units owned by (Player((Integer A))) matching ((Life of (Matching unit)) Greater than or equal to 0.01)))
Other than that, its hard to find...

Level 3
Aha! forgot to destroy those unit groups! Thanks for spotting that!

Dangit, don't have enough rep to give out rep. Eh, guess its a measure to keep people from creating sock puppet accounts to rep their main accounts to heaven

Level 13
Invoker War review

lol. maybe the map is too advanced, need a better pc to play haha..

Custom natives and the like are known to crash or instantly scorescreen Macintosh computers. Never use them unless you feel like pissing off anyone trapped with a Mac in a gaming environment.
Trust me, most Mac gamers wish they had Windows or Linux for gaming, considering it's cheaper and more widely supported. The Windows OS sucks, but its games don't.

ColdRocker said:
Perhaps you should integrate another base scoring item as Replayability. Often successful maps are ones that are replayable and provide different experiences every time. Just my 2c

That's where the Fun score comes in. The fun score can go up to 4/3 or even 5/3 if it is very replayable...

Yes, I know, I'm doing these reviews out of over. Bwahaahahaaaa...

jareph
Invoker War

Invoker War is a fun map of spell combat where the players are given three elements that they can invoke in different combinations to achieve a variety of spells and effects. This limits each player to ten spells for use with up to 4 teammates against up to 5 enemies. It feels simple and fun, but somewhere along the lines it just seems... Unfinished. I really expected a bit more out of a final version...

Base Rating
The base rating forms the main part of the map's rating.

Fun X X X
Invoker War is pretty fun. It may even be worth several playthroughs just for fun. Normally, this would give it 4 points, but I'm holding back on the extra credit point for the problems that I will describe later in the review.

Balanced X X X
Invoker War has refined spell balancing and such. The teams start with the same stuff and don't get any bonuses from killing others besides adding to the score. The balance is pretty much fine in Invoker War.

Original X X -
Well, considering that most spells in Invoker War are either blizzard spells or very close to blizzard spells, and the fact that this map kinda feels like a stripped-down Spellcraft, an originality point is lost. Only one, however, since this genre of maps isn't exactly common.

Polished X X -
This is the easiest part of the map to fix, and with it the Immersion score would probably rise as well. The problems I noticed with the polishing mainly stem from the user friendliness. I was able to figure everything out, but most other players did not. As you can see in the replay, a couple players were wondering how they could change their elements. They didn't realize that they were stuck with those elements through the whole game... Second, this map suffers from the Information Overload™ syndrome that plagues maps that try something different. In other words, there is a lot of text floating around on the map and the screen that daunts the players and makes them especially susceptible to leaving. This symptom is plainly obvious in the replay. Third, since you obviously know of the leaver problem, you really ought to have added a team rebalancing function. Ending the game 5v0 as I did is not a good thing.

Immersive X X -
Information overload hurts immersion. It would be better to give the information to the players in smaller bits when they actually need it. Be creative here...

Optimized X - -
Oh, boy. I should probably explain exactly what earns each optimization score... This is all relative to my own computer, by the way. It exceeds the recommended system requirements for Warcraft III comfortably. I'm going to start with a 3 point optimization score: "Congratulations, this map runs flawlessly at a steady and playable frame rate." The 2 point optimization score is basically "Playable, but has lag and frame rate problems or surges every now and then." The 1 point optimization score is pretty much "Playable, but just barely so. Not a comfortable frame rate and may have lag and frame rate problems fairly often." The 1 point score is where Invoker War stands. The 0 point optimization score is basically "Becomes completely unplayable for extended periods of time."

*Merits*
Merits are extra good points that warrant special attention beyond the base score.

Small File Size √ √

216 KB is pretty damn small. Invoker War gets a double merit for small file size.

*Demerits*
Demerits are extra bad points that warrant special attention beyond the base score.

No Documentation
Unfortunately for this map, there was no quests menu in Invoker War. Since there is no documentation beyond the loading screen, this map receives a demerit.

Invoker War is a fun spell combat game with a bit of tactics thrown in for good measure. The good outweighs the bad, but the bad nonetheless brings down the rating. Too bad you submitted the map for review after you called it "Final".

Base Rating
Fun X X X
Balanced X X X
Original X X -
Polished X X -
Immersive X X -
Optimized X - -

*Merits*
Small File Size √ √

*Demerits*

No Documentation

(The numerical rating goes from 1.00-5.00, but the under-the-hood calculation can go below zero and above six, changing the rating description)

Rating: 3.35
Description: Acceptable

Attachments

• Invoker War.w3g
    95.1 KB · Views: 107
Level 13
Random AoS review

This fulfills my duty for today...

En Fuego
Random AoS

Random AoS... It could have been full of so much win, but it ended up falling to the depths of failure. This is mainly because of the lack of fun present in the map.

Base Rating
The base rating forms the basis of the rating. Obviously.

Fun X - -
You got little fun in the map! This is bad, as you could imagine. Seriously, make the hero abilities more interesting, make the combat more interesting, make the terrain more interesting, make the layout more interesting, make the way people have to play the map more interesting, etc. Otherwise, it's boring. Very, very boring. You need to really work on this. Really.

Balanced X X -
While the game lasted, it was fairly balanced. Some people were complaining about weak abilities, however. Including myself. This isn't helping the fun category, either.

Original X X -
It would have gotten all three points here, but Random AoS lost one due to the fact that there are no original gameplay conventions at all present in Random AoS.

Polished X - -
Random AoS is riddled with problems, big and small. Let's start small. You need to make better tooltips; they are highly confusing. And not in the good way. It's better to have people say "WTF!" than "wtf?", you know? Item icons make no sense at all and have active button borders when they are passive. Not a good sign. But more importantly, the terrain is very poor and the look of the map is very plain. However, the most important issue is the bug content. I will sum up my experience with bugs in this map with: My hero permanently disappeared off of the face of the earth mid-combat, supposedly from an ability one of the enemy heroes used (looks like a spirit walker) as I dashed to the trees in my chaos-monger hero thing.

Immersive X - -
For the above reasons and for the poor look of the map, immersion was killed.

Optimized X X X
The map ran fine, suggesting that either the triggers were well-cleaned or Random AoS simply had very few triggers to begin with.

*Merits*
Merits give this map a higher score.

Small File Size √ √
408 KB is small enough to warrant a double merit.

Theme
Random AoS kept a fairly consistent theme throughout and therefore earns a theme merit.

*Demerits*
No demerits for you.

Random AoS was a good idea gone awry. You may consider doing a rather extensive revamping of this map in order to make it better. As it stands, it is not of good quality.

Base Rating
Fun X - -
Balanced X X -
Original X X -
Polished X - -
Immersive X - -
Optimized X X X

*Merits*

Small File Size √ √
Theme

Rating: 2.30
Description: Fair

And now, for a Decreviewial summary and ranking thus far of the current ratings:

1. Invoker War
Adjusted Rank: 4.62

1. The Zre Diamond
Adjusted Rank: 4.62

3. Galactic Conquest DE (Re-Rating Pending)
Rating: 2.55
Description: Average
Adjusted Rank: 2.86

4. Random AoS
Rating: 2.30
Adjusted Rank: 2.42

5. Police Catch Thief
Rating: 2.24
Adjusted Rank: 2.33

6. Eternity of Azjol-Nerub
Rating: 2.10
Adjusted Rank: 2.11

7. WarCraft Maul
Rating: 1.83
Description: Bad
Adjusted Rank: 1.74

8. Stargate: The New Conflict
Rating: 1.05
Description: Very Bad
Adjusted Rank: 1.03

9. Halo Battle Grounds
Rating: 1.00
Description: Disgusting!!
Adjusted Rank: 1.00

10. Battle Tactics (Re-Review Pending)
Description: Failure!!!
Adjusted Rank: 1.00

Attachments

• Random AOS.w3g
    65.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 13
I usually suggest things broadly. The reason I do this is because, as you hinted, it is your map to make, not mine. I merely point out the most important issues and reveal as to why people like/dislike the map. If you already know all of this, why don't you go ahead and fix it?

My reviews seem short and concise because, quite frankly, they are. I tell people what their map is like and what impression it gives me without pulling any of the regular professional paid review bullshit. I don't explain in detail the nuances of the map or sit back to praise it, nor do I pick at every little detail and ride in to flame it. I list the things that need improvement and roughly what I think of the map and why I get that impression. It's mainly a reality check and a good way to put your "Drawing Board" into perspective.

Level 6
I was suggested by a friend to put my map up for bad ass reviewing.

The map is only in its testing stages, but I've put every effort into making it as high quality and smooth as possible.

Problem is my online player review and suggestions aren't always free of bias, and lots only kiss ass with hopes of their name in the quest log.

So I ask you give an honest opinion, and keep in mind my map has been called "Confusing" and "Complicated", though that was just by the kids who don't care to learn something new.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=89467

Yes I know the file size is big. But I'm a quality over size guy.

Last edited:
Level 11
Thx for the reviewing, comment receive.:grin:
i m also try to do the next version of invoker war.
but the problem is lag.
as you say, my map is a laggy map. this is because of replacing the skill.
And i m using my brother computer to work it.My brother computer only can support the trigger without any lag.
But, now he going to university with his computer.....
so that should have a final...

nvm thx anyway.
maybe when he is holiday and coming back with his computer.
i will continue it. :xxd:

repeat: Thx for the reviewing:grin:

Level 13
4th of July Special

-=4TH OF JULY SPECIAL=-

IceFrog
Defense of the Ancients: Allstars

Defense of the Ancients: Allstars is a word that produces either a repulsed or an enthusiastic reaction from battle.netters. Some hate it for its popularity, some hate it for its quality (in my opinion, this is the stupidest reason to hate it), and some even hate it for the fact that it fucked up the original DotA, but most don't hate DotA: A - they hate the players who play it. Everyone else, of course, either doesn't care or simply loves DotA: A. I'm here to put Defense of the Ancients: Allstars (do not mistake DotA: A with DotA, by the way) into perspective. Just what is the actual quality of the most played custom map in the history of battle.net? I'm here to tell you that while it's certainly not bad, it definitely has room for improvement.

Base Rating
We start with the base rating, which basically shows us the main part of the score and the overall quality of the map.

Fun X X -
Why not 0 or 5 points, you may ask? The answer is twofold: 1. It's my opinion, and 2. Its more of a compromise. Ever wondered why DotA: A became so popular? It's because there was ample competition available in the "hot new thing" when IceFrog began tournaments and such for his map. In essence, IceFrog could be the new CEO of Electronic Arts with the way he pours an unsaid quantity of money into promoting his decent map. Some DotA: A players truly enjoy the game, which is a fact that I must respect. The others, in my experience, are there for the asskicking. Deep down, most of the DotA: A players are there because they know that they'll be able to deliver an asskicking to some n00b(z) during the match. Notice that "n00b", in this case, applies to anyone with an advantage over the said player or anyone who is losing to the said player. Strip away that part of the map, and it's still fairly fun, but just not what it used to be. Thus, Defense of the Ancients: Allstars earns two points for fun.

Balanced X X -
DotA: A, as it has been going through its many, many versions, has developed a high sense of hero balance. The heroes, in some way or another, are basically balanced with each other and have their roles. This is quite a feat, considering the sheer quantity of heroes in DotA: A. This makes it all the more surprising that the items are not quite so finely balanced. It's not terribly extreme like most maps, but the items still count more toward the hero than the hero itself by the time the game is over. Also, there are a LOT of combinations. Unlike some maps in which the combinations are there to help you, DotA: A practically forces its players to get some good item recipes made in order to even survive. In general, while there is a lot of synergy going on in DotA: A, it's not properly tuned in some places and can be fairly frustrating or even downright broken in a few areas.

Original X X -
Simply put, DotA: A is the most copied map on battle.net, with the possible exception of LoaP. However, this means almost nothing to me in terms of originality. Thus, I look at where DotA: A actually came from. The obvious answer, of course, is DotA. IceFrog certainly made many changes to DotA to form his version, and now the map plays almost completely differently than the original. However, the fact still remains that it was ripped from the original. Therefore, the originality score is a two out of a possible three.

Polished X X X
For its flaws, Defense of the Ancients: Allstars is very well polished in every department, except possibly the terrain quality. Anything less would be completely ludicrous given just how many God damn versions have been released and the amount of time the map has been in production.

Immersive X X -
This is by far the hardest area to rate in a map like DotA: A. I eventually decided on a two out of three because the competition-heavy environment is fairly stable in your average battle.net pub, but the real spirit and the essence of the map become grayed out when you take away all of that stuff that the players add to the map rather than what the map adds to itself.

Optimized X X -
On my computer, DotA: A runs fairly well, but not the best I've seen by far. It has room for improvement in this department, hence the two points.

*Merits*
DotA: A has a few merits, but not terribly many.

Quantity
Simply put, there is a lot of stuff in Defense of the Ancients: Allstars. A lot of heroes, a shitload of items, a lovely bunch of coconu- I mean game modes, etc.

Computer AI -
DotA: A has a fairly good computer AI, but hardly anyone uses it. Especially not on battle.net...

*Demerits*
DotA: A doesn't have any outstanding demerits.

Hopefully this puts Defense of the Ancients: Allstars, also known as DotA: A (NOT TO BE MISTAKEN WITH DotA), into perspective for you. It is a fairly fun map with a lot of features and a competitive environment at best, and a broken n00bfest at worst. My opinion is somewhere in-between, so that the best of both extremes can be used.

Base Rating
Fun X X -
Balanced X X -
Original X X -
Polished X X X
Immersive X X -
Optimized X X -

*Merits*
Quantity
Computer AI -

Rating: 3.88
Description: Good

Level 13
I don't want to post a replay of a game in which people can blame my review on my skill at the game. Trust me, I've played DotA a lot and DotA: A a good bunch of times, too.

The auto-save replay function is something I WOULD turn on, but the problem is my Wc3 crashes when I click on the options menu button. I can't turn it on from in-game, either...

Today, unless TEC_Ghost has something to say about it, I'll be re-rating Galactic Conquest and re-reviewing Battle Tactics.

Level 17
Today, unless TEC_Ghost has something to say about it, I'll be re-rating Galactic Conquest and re-reviewing Battle Tactics.

Yay, anyway, I know some programs that has Auto Save...

But, please, save my replay... I love seeing other people get owned and ect...

And if this is true

I don't want to post a replay of a game in which people can blame my review on my skill at the game. Trust me, I've played DotA a lot and DotA: A a good bunch of times, too.

The auto-save replay function is something I WOULD turn on, but the problem is my Wc3 crashes when I click on the options menu button. I can't turn it on from in-game, either...

Then what about all the other reviews you didn't save...

Also, as the last sentence...

Can you review this cinematic map of mine? It doesn't have to be a long review at all and these maps don't require more than 1 player nor 6 minutes...

1st Episode

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps.php?id=853w64

2nd Episode

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps.php?id=z7nf34

I've heard you say that you'll only pick one?

Well, this is the case where you shouldn't pick one...

Please... :cry:

Level 13
I may watch it sometime and say something off to the side, but I'm sticking to the 1 Full Review per person.

Edit: Crap, some things came up, such as my brother's birthday. I'll do these on Sunday.

Edit 2: Shit, I have to wait 'til monday... I hate surprises.

Last edited:
Level 13
I tried Battle Tactics again, only with the newest version. It still bugged up and failed just as before.

Galactic Conquest was a little better, but it mostly ran a little smoother.
I gave it a 3.20, a definite increase from 2.55, mainly because of the improved frame rates.

Level 17
I tried Battle Tactics again, only with the newest version. It still bugged up and failed just as before.

Galactic Conquest was a little better, but it mostly ran a little smoother.
I gave it a 3.20, a definite increase from 2.55, mainly because of the improved frame rates.

And you didn't give me a replay???

BTW, you should notice that I added and changed somethings... Like ship's texture...

Level 13
spiceant Succes Training review

spiceant
spiceant Succes Training

When I approached this map, I was trying to reassure myself about its quality. The map name itself is really weird and even misspelt, so it took a fairly large force of will to ignore the foreboding feeling inside of me. It seems my estimations were correct; the map was fairly well put together, but it just wasn't fun.

Base Rating
The Base Rating forms the base of the score. The fun score is the main limiting factor for the overall score, as this map clearly shows.

Fun X - -
Here's your major pitfall. This map just isn't fun. In fact, the games I played involved everyone leaving (apparently at exactly the same time) within a few minutes. That being said, this was enough time to give me a good impression of the map.

Balanced X X X
Well, since everyone is exactly equal and such, the balance seems fine.

Original X X -
The map idea is original for sure, but it doesn't have enough stuff to get all three points. You know what I'm saying? It's so much about the percentage of a map that's original, a lot of it is about the actual cold quantity of new things it has that really matters.

Polished X X -
Oh my God, dude. Part of the fucking map name is misspelt. How can you not see that? Also, you really need to find a better way to give the players messages than this map's current system, because I couldn't see any text. Not on the bottom where the unit info usually is, not as floating text, not as game messages, nothing. My subtitles ARE enabled, by the way. Please do not blame this on me - if there is supposed to be floating text, you need to keep a permanent message in a corner or something, because half the time floating messages don't show up unless there are at least two of them going on at the same time. The fact that a head is speaking to me without any sound or visual cues as to what it is saying is very annoying. The rest of the map seemed very polished, however.

Immersive X - -
This would definitely be higher if I could actually see what the fuck the guy is trying to say to me. The only point you get is because the map was fairly well put together and the sounds were used well, repairing a small portion of the immersion the rest of the map destroyed.

Optimized X X X
The map ran perfectly. Not like there was anything all that complicated, though...

*Merits*
You only get one merit category, and it happens to be the most common one to receive.

Small File Size √ √
256 KB is rather small. That's enough for a double merit.

*Demerits*
There weren't any things I could see that were worthy of a demerit.

I really don't know how you could make this map more fun. I have a feeling that you need to go back to the drawing board with this one. Many of the previous maps were good ideas that had something wrong with them somehow, but this map... It was basically destined to work out badly. I suggest you plan out a map with a better, more catchy design plan.

Base Rating
Fun X - -
Balanced X X X
Original X X -
Polished X X -
Immersive X - -
Optimized X X X

*Merits*
Small File Size √ √

Rating: 2.20

There is no replay. To be perfectly honest, it wouldn't have shown you much, if anything.

Level 13
Iblis' Rule review

Far Aldazar Din
Iblis' Rule

Iblis' Rule... At first I looked forward to a single player RPG, as it is different than everything else thus far (single player, instead of multi player). As soon as I started the map, I realized how foolish I was. May this be a lesson to others: what not to do in a map.

Base Rating
The Base Rating forms the base of the map's score.

Fun X - -
This map is simply not fun at all. It may force a small bit of enjoyment out of a bored person, but beyond that there is nothing going for this map. At all. There is hardly anything to do, the map ends prematurely, there is nothing new in this map, etc. Honestly, if this is your SECOND RPG, why is it so bad?

Balanced X X -
The game started rough enough to frustrate me but became smoother (but too easy) later on. There's not much else to say about this.

Original - - -
Iblis' rule's originality is limited to a boring story, a couple imported models, a bad (and small) terrain, a few custom units, and a few triggers. Nothing else. Nothing is original about Iblis' Rule. Honestly, a LOT of work needs to be done, preferably a total remake.

Polished - - -
Iblis' rule is filled with problems, big and small. Scratch that, it's simply filled with huge problems. The smallest of these is the fact that the hero models do not have portraits and have mismatched icons, voices, collisions, names... Say, you didn't change the heroes at all except for swapping out the model and abilities! Next up, the quests system was poorly done and uninteresting. The terrain was truly awful as well. A lot of things seemed out of place or simply messed up or missing. However, all of these problems are NOTHING compared to the total severity of this last problem... Every enemy was a creep, thus my hero never went past level 5. This made it impossible to continue the game past a certain point, so I simply quit. What a crappy way to end a map, man!

Immersive X - -
The immersion factor was annihilated by this map's many, many downsides. The one point you got here was because at least the terrain had a theme and the english wasn't distracting.

Optimized X X X
Iblis' Rule ran fine. This is predictable, since there is hardly anything going on at any given time.

*Merits*
Merits, predictably, bring up the score. Unfortunately, this map's only merit doesn't even apply.

Small File Size - -
368 KB. That normally would count for a double merit, but that rule doesn't apply here. This is a single player RPG, thus the file size doesn't matter in the slightest. It is actually BAD that the map is this small, since single player maps should take full advantage of imports - size doesn't matter.

*Demerits*
Demerits obviously bring down the score.

No Documentation
There is no documentation of any kind in the quests menu or any other place in the map.

Bad Imports -
Seriously, a hero model without a portrait is just sacrilege.

Iblis' Rule really has nothing going for it. Seriously, it's just plain bad. You need to put some serious work into this for it to be anything other than garbage.

Base Rating
Fun X - -
Balanced X X -
Original - - -
Polished - - -
Immersive X - -
Optimized X X X

*Merits*
Small File Size - -

*Demerits*
No Documentation
Bad Imports -

Description: Awful!

Attachments

• Iblis' Rule.w3g
    87.4 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.