• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Post your map here for an In-Depth Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Level 1
its a really nice thing with these rewievs, so im gona show you my map.

its a td, its my first map (ive worked on other small stuff, but nothing, i ever plan to finish).

some problems im aware of with the map (just saying, so i dnt seem like a complete tard, when you look at the map in the editor, if you do)

lots and lots of leaks still need to be cleaned (specially in the hero skills), but it should not cause any problems, as for now its only 2 player (gona make it 6 when im done, but adding more players takes alot of time... something i dnt always have).
grammar may be far from perfect
and the terrain looks a little rushed... but im gona work on that too when i get the time :)

well... im really looking forward to your rewiev.

ps. i already had the map rewieved by another, but getting all the feedback i can, is the best way to improve my map i guess :)

Attachments

• Myth_and_Legend_Tower_Defence_newest.w3x
    416.5 KB · Views: 22
Level 13
Unfortunately, I find myself unable to conduct any more reviews. I'm afraid that life has caught up with me.

I apologize for crushing everyone's hopes, but I've acquired my new computer sooner than expected. Basically, this means I won't be doing Warcraft anywhere near as often as before. IE I won't be conducting reviews.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Since it's the summer and I'm bored, I'm offering map reviews to people who post their maps in this thread. These reviews aren't just the usual + - map's section scores; they are quite in-depth and aim at making your maps better. Of course, I have a numerical scoring system tossed in, but take those scores with a grain of salt - it's the real words and insight I give you that really matter.

Summertime ended!

Level 13
I am going to do more reviews, but I am changing the method for selecting a map.

If you want a map reviewed (DOES NOT HAVE TO BE YOUR MAP), post that you want it reviewed. I'll add the map to a list... Whenever I decide to make a review, I will randomly select a map from the list, check it off (and all duplicates of it), then play it a couple times so I can make the review. If multiple people want the same map, it is added to the list once for each person, doubling/tripling its chances.

For fairness' sake, if a map stays in the list for a while, I'll increase its chances every week or so until it gets picked.

Level 4
Wow nice Idea Dark.Revenant
Well i know it's hard to make such an "in-deep-review" of some maps but maybe you can review my map.. [that would help me alot.

It's a ball game like speedball but with heroes spells items arenas and different kind of balls (The Holyhandgrenade for example ;))

Link to forum => http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/unmercy-balls-111702/ (with some screenies)

Link to map => Unmercy Balls v2a - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely

Nerv ;)

Level 13
Oh boy

Defense of Armengar
VeljkoM

Defense of Armengar is basically a castle defense map. The problem is that it's not as good as Castle Defense.

Code:
[FONT=Arial] [B][U]Base Rating[/U][/B]
[B]Fun     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600] Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Repetitive and boring as the game wears on[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Uninspired units and abilities[/I][B][COLOR=#000096]
+[/COLOR][/B][I] The map is fun at first

[/I] [B]Balanced[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#960000]     Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]If the attackers do not dominate early on, they are fucked[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Some (many) stupid spell choices[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Only one narrow gate - siege towers are expensive and hard to use[/I]
[B][COLOR=#000096]+[/COLOR][/B][I] Game starts off on equal footing

[/I] [B]Original     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#960000]Ѻ [/COLOR]- -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Very similar to Castle Defense[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Lack of unique or even well-chosen abilities

[/I][B]Polished[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]     [B][COLOR=#960000]Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]- [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]MANY, many spelling errors, even in the map title(s)[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Various issues (leaving players not accounted for, repairs are exorbitant, etc)[/I]
[B]/[/B][I] Basic game mechanics and abilities/attacks work[/I]

[B]Immersive[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]     Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Story is boring/uninspired, many spelling errors break the feeling, forgettable terrain[/I]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]/[/B][I] Most of the units and their models have appropriate attacks/models[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]

Optimized[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600]     Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600] Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600] Ѻ[/COLOR][/B]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]/[/B][I] Nothing in the map is complicated enough to create performance issues, there are no opportunities for memory leaks[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial]   

[B][U]Merits[/U][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[I][B]None[/B][/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial]

[B][U]Demerits[/U][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B]Very Long     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#c80000]Ѳ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial][I]50 minutes is too much[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial].

[B]Bad English     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#c80000]Ѳ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[I]Even the fucking map file name is misspelled[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial].
[/FONT]

Defense of Armengar... My heart sank as I downloaded the map and hosted it on battle.net, seeing that the map's name was 'Defence of Armengar' and the filename was 'Deffance of Armengar.w3x'. The map title's misspelling is not serious; using a C instead of an S is a common mistake. However, the filename is just unforgivable. The premonition turned out to be true. One notch of 0.05 points lower and the map's description would be 'Lacking' rather than merely 'Average'.

The game started off on the right foot, perhaps. Every player had a level 1 hero, the attackers had wood harvesters and a couple unit-training strucures, and the defenders had a mass of units on a castle. As we scrambled to make the attacks, we were met with stiff resistance from exploding barrels. I threw some battering rams into play and knocked the gate down as it finally exploded. My critical mistake was not spamming goblins (they are free) for the entire game.

The game progressed, the enemy heroes leveled due to the zounds of goblins being massacred with ease, and our heroes could barely gain experience because the kill-to-death ratio was something like 1:50. The enemy heroes quickly gained their 60-second-invulnerability spells (this is a HORRIBLE idea in a game of this style; Divine Shield is one of the most imbalanced abilities possible) and walked in to block the ONE enterance to the castle. They were unkillable at this point.

After this, it was just a matter of time before the long near-hour clock ticked to 0. I managed to destroy the catapults on the wall, board the walls with ONE siege tower (after a lot of fumbling around with abilities), and do minor damage to the heroes, but at this point they were completely invincible to everything the combined, continuous forces of all of the attacking players could do.

The game ended and all I could think was that this map has a LONG way to go before it can resemble quality work. To put it simply, you need to improve all aspects of it in order for it to succeed. This new review layout makes this easy; it shows you exactly what you would need to do in order to improve your score. However, I do NOT do re-reviews, no matter how much the map has improved or how good it is.

Rating
: 2.55
Average

The next review is this sunday.

Attachments

• What The Fuck.w3g
    335.9 KB · Views: 62
Level 21
I will just say this.Why do you think I put "siege towers"?Siege towers are the key
But yes you are right about my spelling and grammar.And Heroes are little(well more then little) stupid.
Buy you gave me idea.I will next time change the exp gain....And get rid off **** shield.
But your "strategy" made me laugh.Why?
Some points:
1.Houses you destroyed with heroes should have been destroyed by goblins.They have "Pillage" ability.
2.You don't know why catapults don't attack?Because of the height of the wall.You need to bring them in range then order attack.
3.If you watched your units when you attacked gate you would noticed that they were just standing.You have to order them to attack gate often.They get distracted by arrows.
4.What most disappointed me is lack of siege tower use.They are the key.Just make couple of them and attack rear walls.Or even main gate and use slaves to repair them.
Or use them to carry battering rams to wall catapults.What do you mean hard to use?You load units bring it to the wall root the tower and unload units.
But what I have seen it looks like 50 min isn't enough.You couldn't kill 1 hero.

But in the end my **** mistake was the enemy heroes.But any way thank you for this review and replay (I was laughing so hard) .

Last edited:
Level 13
I will just say this.Why do you think I put "siege towers"?Siege towers are the key
But yes you are right about my spelling and grammar.And Heroes are little(well more then little) stupid.
Buy you gave me idea.I will next time change the exp gain....And get rid off **** shield.
But your "strategy" made me laugh.Why?
Some points:
1.Houses you destroyed with heroes should have been destroyed by goblins.They have "Pillage" ability.
2.You don't know why catapults don't attack?Because of the height of the wall.You need to bring them in range then order attack.
3.If you watched your units when you attacked gate you would noticed that they were just standing.You have to order them to attack gate often.They get distracted by arrows.
4.What most disappointed me is lack of siege tower use.They are the key.Just make couple of them and attack rear walls.Or even main gate and use slaves to repair them.
Or use them to carry battering rams to wall catapults.What do you mean hard to use?You load units bring it to the wall root the tower and unload units.
But what I have seen it looks like 50 min isn't enough.You couldn't kill 1 hero.

But in the end my **** mistake was the enemy heroes.But any way thank you for this review and replay (I was laughing so hard) .

Siege towers are not easy to use because of the whole uproot and root thing, not to mention units do not automatically load into them even if you right click it. You have to change this.

And if you are going to force micromanagement with 30+ attacking masses, you are going to need to add commands that do it for you without tedious mass clicking.

Level 13
alright, so i figure, what have i got to lose? link is in my sig. uploading 0.94y after this post.

i think i might've fixed my item drop system i think i might caused a leak with the if then funtions.

i'm a total newb at jass so i keep making mistakes like that.

i know very little about triggering so if your review can focus on triggering, great.

i don't really care to hear about map balance and that kindof thing but if you want to tell me about that too, fine.

i think i will be planning to add in new abilities and take away some of the ones that are in there. like for 0.94z i am planning on adding a new ultimate for chaser b since the one he has is kindof lame and uncool. i just added a new ultimate for chaser d. it should be really cool.

it'll be interesting to get your opinion on how the runners work. overall i think i try to do super fantastic things with them and then i find out i don't know how to do it...haha.

anyway please look at my variables and my globals and locals. and any and all general tips for triggering that you can give me i would love!

Level 4
Unmercy Balls for the next map to review tomorrow. I am looking forward to this one!

Rofl ..thanks ;)

Well I know 1 bug with the bouncing trigger ..sometimes a ball fly out of the arena if he is too close to the wall (I know regions are buggy but a good friend > anachron < is currently working on an awesome bouncing system for me ;) )

Last edited:
Level 8
If you find the time,
There is a map I'd like you to review, its great, but not very popular,
Maybe you can figure out whats wrong, =/
Anyways here it is! Hopefully it gets reviewed sooner or later. =P
Epidemic v.1.00 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

I'd suggest more than one player,
This isn't a push over map and it makes you think and struggle. >w<
have fun!

Level 9
Hello i have a map (it's not exactly my but this doesn't matter) and i work on it from long time and at the moment i think most of the things are ok. The problem is that i no have any more ideas for improvement or fixing the things. Here is the map Virus Infection . Hope you will review it soon :wink:

and btw i am thinking to ask moderators to review it again but first will wait for you and if you give me alot of things to work and thing about will be good

Level 13
Dang

Code:
[FONT=Arial]
[B]Unmercy Balls[/B]
[I][B]Nerv91.Slayer[/B][/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial]

Unmercy Balls reminds me of MadBalls Arena, only it's a lot less sophisticated.  You pick an arena and a gametype, then go at it.  You need to wait until the map is more finished if you want a good review, because an unfinished map feels unfinished and that is reflected in the score.

[B][U]Base Rating[/U][/B]
[B]Fun[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]     Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ[/COLOR] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Various bugs, issues, and problems degrade the experience[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B] [/FONT][FONT=Arial][I]Game gets old / boring due to lack of gameplay variety[/I][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#000096]+[/COLOR][/B][I] Fast-pased and (sometimes) interesting gameplay

[/I][B] Balanced[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600]     Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600]Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#009600]Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][I]Sometimes you get corner-fucked with 3 balls constantly whacking you[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#000096]+[/COLOR][/B][I] The player choices are fairly different but still balanced
[/I][B]
Original[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]     Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600] Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]A lot like MadBalls or Dodgeball, but not 3d and not as slick[/I]
[B]/[/B][I] The map may have unique content, but it still plays the same as others

[/I][B] Polished[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#960000]     Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]- [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Occasional spelling error, hotkeys not shown, etc.[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Difficult to know exactly which balls will hurt you (can't tell by the speed)[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] Faulty arena repicking, no breaks in the action (to shop and read shit)[/I]
[B][COLOR=#000096]+[/COLOR][/B][I] The beginning parts of the map are well-presented
[/I][B]
Immersive     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600] Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I]Problem with arena repicking: no vision granted, balls keep spawning in old arena, etc.[/I]
[B][COLOR=#960000]-[/COLOR][/B][I] The fucking teal screen with the Holy Hand Grenade[/I]
[B][COLOR=#000096]+[/COLOR][/B][I] The mood and flow of the map remains constant throughout
[/I][B]
Optimized     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#969600]Ѻ [/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]-[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B][COLOR=#960000]- [/COLOR][/B][I](smoothness) The ball movement system had too high of a period (0.04 or 0.05); use 0.02[/I]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial][B]/[/B][I] The map ran reasonably well, but I can't search for leaks in a protected map[/I][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][U]

Merits[/U][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B]Small File Size[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#0000c8]     Ѳ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[B]Fancy Coding[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=#0000c8]     Ѳ[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B] -[/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][U]

Demerits[/U][/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial]
[I][B]None[/B][/I][/FONT]
I had a good feeling about this map when I started it up. The presentation was good, there was a variety of players to choose from, etc. I saw that the arenas were a bit basic, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of editing.

So we started it up and started rocking. The first thing I noticed as the game started was that the regular balls do not stand out very much. Perhaps a noticeable shadow or glow would fix this. Worse still was the fact that I couldn't tell how fast the ball needed to go to deal damage. I would walk into a ball, thinking i could hit it, only to lose a bunch of health! I noticed the shops in the arena and looked at one. This nearly cost me a life, as 1. you have to be almost next to the shop to activate it, 2. it takes 2 full seconds to activate it, and 3. just looking at the items takes time that you don't have. There are no pauses or breaks in the action, meaning that reading tooltips is impossible. This wasn't helped by the fact that the spell hotkeys were not shown, so I had to guess my way to efficiency.

The balls themselves could be misleading. One of the players didn't realize the holy hand grenade's white and gold light was deadly, instead thinking that it would heal him. Also, the period of their movement was too high; the motion would be a LOT smoother if it was set to 0.02 rather than 0.04 or 0.05 / whatever you have now.

Last Man Standing was balanced enough. Things went seriously downhill once we chose the Killing (forgot the exact name) mode and used a different arena. First of all, the balls kept spawning in the old arena. What's up with this? Turn off that trigger! Second, vision was not granted to the new arena. My unit had a large sight radius, but one of the players had a unit with 0 sight radius, meaning he couldn't see shit. Also, since it takes many hits to kill someone and it requires a fair bit of luck to hit someone with a ball (lag + movement + a bunch of balls flying around), it just turns into a game of who can killsteal with abilities the most.

All-in-all, I didn't see any distinguishing, positive factors that sets this map apart from games like Dodgeball or MadBalls Arena. However, the map was not bad. The conclusion, therefore, is that Unmercy Balls is just not finished, and probably wasn't ready for this review. You need to smooth out the bouncing system and make the game more slick, remove the bugs and polish up the gameplay, and most importantly add balls / weapons that are not the plain old 1. aim 2. fire 3. watch it bounce into shit. This map needs good old-fashioned work, but it certainly has potential.

Rating
: 3.70
Good

Keep in mind that you can nominate any map (not just your own) to be reviewed, and that multiple nominations (as in different people nominating the same map) increase the map's chances of being selected.

Attachments

• Unfinished Balls.w3g
    113.8 KB · Views: 74
Level 4
Well thank you for the review. Yes you are right it isn't really finished but I hope I can change this with your hint.
Lol i didn't this shop thingy :C I'll try to change this.

Well Mad balls arena is totally different.. caus u can pick up those balls and it's in 3d... not in "2d" (sliding) and dodge ball is in my oppinion lame... caus the balls bounce only between the eastern and western wall. You are also right with the teal screen of the Holy handgrenade.. its annoying :C ..

..I know my movement trigger should be changed (it's based on an expiring timer.. every 0.02sec i think) but when I get the new bouncing system from Anachron I'll change the movement of those balls. (Then I can implement some cliffs .. I think ;) )...
I know my english isn't that good but I think everybody can understand it.

Yes you are right with the tooltips maybe I should delete the text and write somethin like
Function: x
Dmg: x
Heal: x
etc...

Thanks for your review.. you helped me alot ;) !
+rep (lol It's just 1 point but who cares xD)

Optimized Ѻ Ѻ -
- (smoothness) The ball movement system had too high of a period (0.04 or 0.05); use 0.02
/ The map ran reasonably well, but I can't search for leaks in a protected map

Yes I know.. In my newest (not official) version I removed every leak.. (scanned it with "leakcheker" ..dunno exactly the name of this programm ;) ..Points, unitgrp, playergrps, sfx, etc.)

EDIT: Rofl ..the name of the replay xD ..ye but it's true^^ Omg.. many people make jokes about the Gamename... example "(not) unbugged balls" ..

Last edited:
Level 10

User

Add to 43berries's Reputation 43berries has little to show at this moment (16)43berries has little to show at this moment (16)

Epidemic v.1.10 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Lately my map has been getting hype, tell me if you feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.