• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Portals! Development thread (system 90% ready mpi)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Portals! Development thread!

Project: Portals

This is development map based on my portal system.
The system is based on two abilities.
Portal gun 1:
Shoots missile that will create portal to another dimension if it hits unit or expires.
Portal gun 2:
Shoots missile that will create portal to another dimension if it hits unit or expires.

Units can travel between those two gates (3seconds delay after each travel)
So you can teleport spells, units (and give me ideas) what could i possibly do more with this idea.

Gameplay:

Objective: Destroy enemies base (same as basic aos)

Unique features:
- Controll extra zones for more income and extra defences
- Buy suport unit from tech center to help you. The suport unit can be upgraded and its completely ai controlled.
- Buy weapons from shops to gain weapons/spells. Weapons can be upgraded.

Progress:
RELEASED: Portals! v1.5b Beta
Includes:
15custom weapons!
7custom upgrades! for helicopter (ai controlled
controll line system! (for extra creeps and income)
portal system!
collisions system!

link Portals: The First Encounter - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Attachments

• portals.JPG
    portals.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 355
  • pullbackgun.JPG
    pullbackgun.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 338
  • weapons.JPG
    weapons.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 272
  • playing.JPG
    playing.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Portals! v1.5c beta.w3x
    123.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Level 7
I think the idea sounds awesome. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Level 13
*Uptade*

Terrain:
So far iv made base terrain witch consist 3 small lines. It is small map but maybe it will get more fun with more action.

Spells:
Fireball - makes damage when hit, can traver trought portals
Flamethrower - fast damage channeling spell - can teleport once trought portal
Fire field - area damage, no target - nearby units cannot use portals for 10seconds.

Spells that are on development:
Shock grenade - area damage, target, explodes, can travel trought portals, nearby units cant use portals for 10second.
Ion cannon controll - marks target and after a while launches huge beam that deals damage.

(Upgrade system development):
You could use upgrade center to make your portal gun better in someways. Selecting some upgrades would disable others.
Stealth upgrade - invisible portals for enemy
Homing portal - searches for target (hero) and creates portal there
Strong portal - duration of portal increases.

Level 8
wow , this is based on the game portals jajaj ... well anyways , i have an idea..

its mainly tactic:
you can make random obstacles in random parts of the map (with regions)... so , then you can use portals and force your enemies entering it... you should make a spell that attract the enemy for X sec (no too much , 3 secs or 4) so then , if you are fast , you can mainly transport the enemies into the portal you made... and then they get catched by the obstacle xD (o trap :p)...

Another skill that can mainly be made to be used tacctically:
any skill that has Pushback , its rly good , you can make you enemies enter the portal , forcing them xD... its very good...

hope i help ya xD:..

Level 13
wow , this is based on the game portals jajaj ... well anyways , i have an idea..

its mainly tactic:
you can make random obstacles in random parts of the map (with regions)... so , then you can use portals and force your enemies entering it... you should make a spell that attract the enemy for X sec (no too much , 3 secs or 4) so then , if you are fast , you can mainly transport the enemies into the portal you made... and then they get catched by the obstacle xD (o trap :p)...

Another skill that can mainly be made to be used tacctically:
any skill that has Pushback , its rly good , you can make you enemies enter the portal , forcing them xD... its very good...

hope i help ya xD:..

Well making units be attracted to something is something that i tought too and the pushback things too. Its a good idea but I can do jass and gui aint really good making pushback spells.

Level 8
Well making units be attracted to something is something that i tought too and the pushback things too. Its a good idea but I can do jass and gui aint really good making pushback spells.

well , yeah its just a suggestion to make the game more interesting, and i have another idea:

you can make like secret places , the way to get to them is by portaling into a special place or things like that xD... and there you got... dunno xD , some "extra" thing...

it doesnt matter if you cant do it , you can ask for help or simply don do it xD , its just a suggestion xD... hope this help...

Level 13
*Uptade*

Whats new?:
- Decided to go with weapons system. You can buy weapons from shops and upgrade them.
- Decided to create controll system. You gain extra defences + gold when controlling certain points.
- Added some screenies to first post.

When ill release beta it will be probly pretty dissapointing since Im mainly interested on doing flashy spells and releasing this map fast (to see has this map got any chance to be fun to play. But it might be improve later.

Level 8
well , i would like to be one of the beta testers , but well , doesnt matter yet... what im asking is , wtf is that like icy thing... it is a skill ?... obviously it is but what im trying to say is that , maybe it is a powerup or something you can catch up...

Level 13
well , i would like to be one of the beta testers , but well , doesnt matter yet... what im asking is , wtf is that like icy thing... it is a skill ?... obviously it is but what im trying to say is that , maybe it is a powerup or something you can catch up...

No its a spell (its old tought). I like flashy things.

*Uptade*

- multiboard ready
- item/ability system 50% ready
- improved collision system
- 5 spells/weapons ready

*Uptade*

- removed older pics. added 1 new.
- improved terrain.

I will soon try to test this game in bnet If I can make firewall from blocking it. This map is far from finished, but it should be somewhat playable soon.

also I dont remember how to add custom loading screen...so I will add it later and post the loading screen here (i know it sux, but its custom :).)

First puplic test held!'

it was pretty fun, but there are still lots of bugs and the game aint very newbie friendly.

So as for posting my map here it will take lots and lost more triggering and testing.

anyways here is one picture of the beta test:

Attachments

• portals.JPG
    portals.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 270
  • portals beta.JPG
    portals beta.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
Having hostin few games, the map is becoming more playable.

Things to do before next test:
- more spells
- remove ability when item bought
- fix heal skill for all players.
(- maybe also add levels for helicopter upgrades)

If you are interested in joining beta tests, go to hiveworkshop chat (ill always anounce beta tests there 10minutes before testin)

The next test will probly be this day at random time.

Created new spell: Pullback Gun
- shoots missile that will pull enemies that it hits to hero.

that consumed hell lot of time, but might be fun spell. added screenie to first post!.

9 weapons/spells ready:

- Blaster
- Shotgun
- Doomsday
- Flamethrower
- Machine Gun
- Darkness Cannon
- Grenade Launcher
- Ring of the lich king
- Pullback Gun

added screenie to first page. Im starting to lack ideas. I want to make laser spell but need idea/effect for it.

Level 13
ITS FINALLY HERE!

Portals! v1.3c Beta

Includes:
12custom weapons!
7custom upgrades! for helicopter (ai controlled
controll line system! (for extra creeps and income)
portal system!
collisions system!

DL links for map are on first post!

Leave feedback and suggestion thx. I could use ideas for spells (effects, damage, range etch...)

I need ideas for following spells:
laser
mole gun
taser gun

AND MODS PLS CHANGE THREADS NAME TO: Portals! Development thread

release v1.4 beta.

major fixes:
- working sniper gun
- more expensive shotgun
- fixed down controlling
- fixed acurary bugs

I was hoping for some feedback. I think I will release v1.5 soon, have run few test with it already.

Released 1.5b

added weapons:
- molotov coctail
- cluster grenade

Well now im out of ideas. So pls give feedback/suggestions. I might start a new project also.

Level 13
I tried the game yesterday and it was great, however, the portal seemed nearly useless and I found no point in it. In the end, I decided that the portal should either be changed, or improved. Maybe some weapons MUST travel through portals to have any effect or something.

Hmm, thats interesting idea. Thanks for feedback. I think im gona modify it to next version and maybe improve it a bit.

Even if you dont like this map. Go suggest spells/ideas to my next project: Soul Hunters

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...my-next-project-suggestions-92129/#post755093

Status
Not open for further replies.