• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
How about we don't?
We had a perfectly functional game before 1.30.
Then they patched it and made everything broken and didn't fix it for months on end.
The game is still riddled with bugs and dumb shit like this.
We have every right to be pissed, the only way we can get this fixed is to be loud and whine as much as possible.

They're throwing us under the bus by making a once fully functional product subpar and expect us to pay for Reforged which adress all the problems they created in the first place.
Its a despicable business practise and they need to be called out on it.
This site is so infested with yes-men sometimes i can't believe it.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

How about they roll-back to the last stable patch until all the bugs are fixed?

And I am a software engineer. So don't come at me.
Yes software development is hard. Legacy spaghetti code is hard.
There are industry standards to help so that broken things are not rolled out. And it sometimes happens anyways because we're all human and make mistakes, so backups are kept and if something breaks, the backup is rolled back/restored. It seems that the current wc3 is not capable of doing rollbacks or something, and it may be a good idea to make this functionality.
It also seems that proper testing is not being performed.

If you don't like it, develop your own game lmao
Y'know I always wonder why people say this nonsense. Like who started this dumb trend of saying this? Why is no one capable of the simple reasoning skills necessary to realize how wrong this statement is? Implying that you have to be a successful game developer to know whether a game is good or bad. That's not how... anything in life works, yet I see this stated all the time.

Like I'm not a pilot, but if I see a plane crash into a tree, I'm still pretty sure he fucked up. And Battle.net is currently broken, so guess what that means...

They're throwing us under the bus by making a once fully functional product subpar and expect us to pay for Reforged which adress all the problems they created in the first place.
I don't believe they are messing up on purpose. But I do believe that they should not have made big patches until they were completely sure of the codebase they were working in.

P.S. most of the serious map developers (as in, the ones who have communities of 5000-10000+ players) are working and playing on 1.28.5 which is the last stable version. This is exactly the reason why. Because if you develop on an old version, they can't suddenly break everything in your map.

If you are not happy with what Blizzard is currently doing, join these communities and do not buy reforged. The only thing that matters to a company is what you do with your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Reforged is also a hot mess on release

Reactions: Rui

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

BTW damage detection systems on the hive are currently broken (units never die using GDD). It does not seem that the new world editor contains damage detection natives even though the patch notes say it should:
  • Scripts can now detect when any unit is damaged

At least, it's not in GUI. Can't find the native in JASS if it exists.

Recommended to not do map development until things are more stable. If you save a map with the new wc3 editor, it may be corrupted permanently.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

You can repeat yourself all you want, your point makes no sense at all.

Someone's ability to create their own game has no relation to whether or not they should be allowed to express their frustration with WC3.

At least explain why you believe only game developers should be able to criticize game developers?

I have no sympathy for whiners and complainers
You're whining about people criticizing Blizzard.

Level 24
At this point they are well aware of how fucked up their release was.
They clearly don't.
Just roll back the patch.

Melee players get more changes nobody asked for.

Custom games is dead.

RoC is dead.

AT is dead.

I don't know about singleplayer campaign, but i've heard a lot of bugs concerning 1.30.

What is left? 1v1 melee.
Like thats great and all, but they make up only a portion of the playerbase.

Edit:
Even for 1v1 theres not much to be happy about.
-Dagger is a clunky item that could have just been scroll of regeneration and adds micro to a micro heavy race
-KOTG should have been reverted back to 1.28 instead they double down on their idiocy.
-They dont make changes to obvious spells that need buffs: Thorns Aura, immolation, doom.
-Instead we get nonsense changes that nerf already useless heroes like Firelord.
-Replace 2 veto maps for 2 new veto maps.
-Caving in to redditors and increase armor on all ring of protection by +1. Even gruby commented about how broken it was and he usually shows restraint in critisism.
-Vampiric Aura effect increased from 15% to 20%, op changes for a level 4 item for the sake of "As a baseline, aura items should at least be the same as a level 1 hero ability. Since Devotion Aura and Vampiric Aura were buffed, we are increasing the effect of their respective aura items as well."

Like im not super into melee ladder, but these changes are so obvious once you crossreference peoples opinions with each other.

Last edited:
Level 20
@Razorclaw_X its only messing with custom data, as logn as u stick to using the standart units/spells/items/doodads u r fine and u wont notice that somethings is wrong
But the people updating the Campaign would notice this. Custom data is used in every map in both campaigns.

How about we stop ripping on a team that is trying to revive a 17 year old game. Give them time and have some patience. If you don't like it, develop your own game lmao
I find it difficult to put that much faith in a team that seems to push out patches that break things even their internal teams would have difficulties with dealing with.

The whole Arranged Teams situation is inexcusable; that would be like going to Diablo 2 and removing Act 2 for six months because of Duriel killing everyone walking into his room.

Last edited:
Level 27
For those speaking Spanish, Furion still has an English soundset in the Spanish versions, people always talk about not being hard with the dev Team, but why the hell they mess with the soundsets in the 1.30 patch that was for online services.

The Shaman is in Spanish, The Miracle!

Level 8
For those speaking Spanish, Furion still has an English soundset in the Spanish versions, people always talk about not being hard with the dev Team, but why the hell they mess with the soundsets in the 1.30 patch that was for online services.

The Shaman is in Spanish, The Miracle!
This is the case not only for Spanish, but for multiple languages, both for furion and shaman.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I am pretty confident in Reforged not being a buggy mess. Mainly because it is marketed as a new game, traditionally new blizzard games are without major bugs and those few that exist are fixed within days.
Hell, even their alphas and betas are almost bugless. I played Hearthstone beta and HOTS alpha + beta without ever having a problem. The two most recent WoW expansions have also had perfect launches (in terms of stability, gameplay might be flawed but that's not a bug)

That being said, clearly they do not give wc3 the same high priority treatment. Maybe because it does not give them money like new games do.

Level 3
I've found some bugs dont know if they have been reported or not because there is no bug thread for 1.31
  • When using map in folder mode, editor saves imported file paths using forward slashes "/" while game still looks for disabled versions of icons with backslashes "\" producing green missing disabled icons in game.
  • New natives BlzSetAbility ... Field uses "1" for level 1 of ability, but BlzGetAbility ... Field counts from zero, requiring 0 value for level 1 field
  • Abilities modified with this new natives in most cases require a "refresh" in order to apply changes. I found a way to make this refresh using IncUnitAbilityLevel and then DecUnitAbilityLevel and it's works, but there is some abilities mainly item abilities that cannot be leveled up properly so there is no way to update fields of those abilities.
  • You cannot change icon for abilities based on 'AAns' (Charge Gold and Lumber) using provided native functions
  • TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ causes editor to crash when using Lua mode
  • Sometimes missing //! beginusercode ... //! endusercode causes editor to crash when using Lua mode
  • Attempt to change (double clicking) some game constants and game interface settings cause editor to crash
  • Right after opening a map attempt to select terrain in terrain palette cause editor to crash
  • There is a lot of missing strings in the editor. Im using russian version of Warcraft 3 and WorldEditor so that might be the case, but I would prefer to have english strings instead of missing.
Also it would be nice to see ITEM_IF_GOLD_COST for item fields because this is so needed.

Attachments

• missing strings.jpg
    missing strings.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 242

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
i am having hard laggs on big maps (+1k triggers, +400 variables, +25k doodads +75mb) and could get that confirmed by a few friends trying to open larger maps too

on smaller or medium sized maps we worked fine for me too, yet i didnt had any lagg issues before update even on large maps
What version of the editor have you run, the one from the x86 folder or the one from x86_x64 folder?
P.S. most of the serious map developers (as in, the ones who have communities of 5000-10000+ players) are working and playing on 1.28.5 which is the last stable version. This is exactly the reason why. Because if you develop on an old version, they can't suddenly break everything in your map.
Or maybe because it doesn't necessarily require original CD-keys.

Level 10
Custom games is dead.

As far as my experience goes, custom games are more alive than ever, after we finally got rid of bots (that said, before this patch hits, lets see if it stays like that). I mean, look at the game lists in bnet. Power towers? Escape builder? Space command? Normally maps you would never have found when playing before.

I think i wait out this patch with my current projects, i'm not too fond of getting my map corrupted. But i'm already working slowly on maps for years now, so i really don't care that much to have my progress halted for some months. I will probably go and create one or two new projects, just to mess with the new functions. I mean i knew this stuff was bound to happen when they announced to work on this pasta that is this game. And i'm more interested how it will end up rather than caring for how the progress goes.

And what i really know is that these new features look juicy.

Level 9
I-it f-finally came? With all those beautiful features? Its finally here? Or this week at least?
HOOOOOORRRRAAAAAAAY!
Although I must admit I expected them to add more missing features, like a few getters and setters and stuff, but whatever. I'll wait for 1.32, no biggie.

As far as my experience goes, custom games are more alive than ever, after we finally got rid of bots (that said, before this patch hits, lets see if it stays like that). I mean, look at the game lists in bnet. Power towers? Escape builder? Space command? Normally maps you would never have found when playing before.

Level 9
I am pretty confident in Reforged not being a buggy mess. Mainly because it is marketed as a new game, traditionally new blizzard games are without major bugs and those few that exist are fixed within days.

Reforged won't be any more buggy than Warcraft III for one simple reason - its a reskin marketed as a new game. From what I gather, there will be no mechanical differences.

Level 11
I’m glad that when I read through this thread, about 40% of it had nothing relevant to do with the patch.

Custom Games are more dead than before imo. Until Warcraft III implements something similar to Gproxy, some people will opt for 3rd party solutions that have that feature such as irina and ent. So some of the player base is currently split.

Level 5
You can repeat yourself all you want, your point makes no sense at all.

Someone's ability to create their own game has no relation to whether or not they should be allowed to express their frustration with WC3.

At least explain why you believe only game developers should be able to criticize game developers?

You're whining about people criticizing Blizzard.
This comment is golden truth. I salute such fine logic and writing.

Reactions: Rui
Level 11
Damn, all of these changes seem pretty nice.

Personally, it has been a while since last I did something with the world editor but it has been a blast and seeing some quality-of-life essentials being imported like OnDamage events makes me a little bit enthusiastic. It's a shame that people are generally unhappy with this.

I really hope Blizzard is able to fix the pointed out things. Everyone can criticize, but you also have to know the borders between criticizing and just plain insulting the developers that are putting a lot of effort into this. Give it more time, yes it's hard, but I think eventually most of us are going to be happy.

And I certainly hope that Reforged will not be a 'bust' like some people say because I might want to make just a few more spells with the new updates. ^^

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Damn, all of these changes seem pretty nice.

Personally, it has been a while since last I did something with the world editor but it has been a blast and seeing some quality-of-life essentials being imported like OnDamage events makes me a little bit enthusiastic. It's a shame that people are generally unhappy with this.

I really hope Blizzard is able to fix the pointed out things. Everyone can criticize, but you also have to know the borders between criticizing and just plain insulting the developers that are putting a lot of effort into this. Give it more time, yes it's hard, but I think eventually most of us are going to be happy.

And I certainly hope that Reforged will not be a 'bust' like some people say because I might want to make just a few more spells with the new updates. ^^
The new damage type, attack type and weapontype natives are pretty exciting. Lua will be nice once it can be used in preexisting maps and run alongside vJass.

Damage Engine 5.0 is extremely powerful, for example, and does not require any modifications made in the Object Editor.

Level 11
I just noticed that comments that are triggers no longer have the icon and green text that clearly shows the trigger is a comment after being saved in the 1.31 editor(from 1.30.4 perviously). Newly created comments in 1.31 editor have the green text and icon though. I'm assuming this just falls into the corrupted strings category.

Level 9
Nothing works on the new patch! Most custom maps crashes or just don't open like Hell Halt. My friend even has performance issues, FPS dropped drastically for him he can't even play!!!

WHAT THE HELL??!!

Level 6
When I try to download the map at Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com, I get an error.
1. Map file is corrupt or truncated.
2. Invalid magic number in map header.

I noticed it back in the PTR 1.31. I tried to handle this error on my own and it is very strange. Since one of the maps still loaded Storm Peak's 1.01 -Patch 1.31 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com after editing it in World Edit ptr 1.31. Who faced this error is at all or only at me. Probably the case in the site and the script that he removes the mapinfo?
There was also one mistake when I edited the relief of my futman's WoW Footmen v1.22 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com landscape in the x64 version of the editor. There also occurs an error when editing the landscape in the editor and in the x86 version for some reason it is not observed and the editor does not hang.

I'm just disappointed that they did not include syntax highlight yet. For people who are not that familiar with the engine, like myself, these new natives are really difficult to get into.
I try to use Jasscraft still, but that tool isnt that productive. We could really use an updated version of Tesh for Jass and vJass integrated to the Trigger Editor.

Level 27
Well the new data in the WE doesn't match with the one in the descriptions in the patch, the Anti Health Fire Orb data says 0.65 -> 65% of health reduction while the patch says 35% -> 0,35.

Another thing the items descriptions are wonky right now. this type of data <AIf2,DataA1> now gives 0 a return value on all orb items, instead of the real damage of the orb.

for example the Fire Orb.

Description said:
Añade <AIf2,DataA1> p. de daño adicional al ataque de un héroe mientras la lleva. Los ataques del héroe también se vuelven a distancia al atacar a unidades aéreas enemigas y reducen la eficacia de la curación y la regeneración de las unidades enemigas un 35% durante <AIf2,Dur1> segundos.

Añade 0 p. de daño adicional al ataque de un héroe mientras la lleva. Los ataques del héroe también se vuelven a distancia al atacar a unidades aéreas enemigas y reducen la eficacia de la curación y la regeneración de las unidades enemigas un 35% durante 0 segundos.

Attachments

• HealthOrb.jpg
    HealthOrb.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 115
  • SunderingBlades.jpg
    SunderingBlades.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 184
Level 9
Well the new data in the WE doesn't match with the one in the descriptions in the patch, the Anti Health Fire Orb data says 0.65 of health reduction while the patch says 35%.

Another thing the items descriptions are wonky right now. this type of data <AIf2,DataA1> now gives 0 a return value on all orb items.

for example the Fire Orb.

So it reduces 1 to 0.65, no? That is exactly 35%.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

It doesn't seem like nested trigger-categories work in the World Editor.

Level 16
Seems like great news, although I'm reluctant to re-download Warcraft 3 before Reforge goes live, somehow all this seems like a warm up to that.
Well, that and also my lack of free time.
Still, very happy indeed that War3 is still alive, and looking forward to what THW can do in the near future, new campaigns perhaps? COOP campaigns?! :))

Good luck to Blizzard, and thanks to people who actively contributed to THW and kept War3 alive, @Kam comes to mind here!

Level 18
How about we don't?
We had a perfectly functional game before 1.30.
Then they patched it and made everything broken and didn't fix it for months on end.
The game is still riddled with bugs and dumb shit like this.
We have every right to be pissed, the only way we can get this fixed is to be loud and whine as much as possible.

Its a despicable business practise and they need to be called out on it.
This site is so infested with yes-men sometimes i can't believe it.

Just shut up man, nobody cares about your opinion, they're working hard on a fucking 15 year old codebase to give us what we had asked for ages, literally tons of community suggestions being implemented and you're still bitching about it, fuck off.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I think everyone complaining here should have downloaded the PTR and tried ti help the developers.

I see so many issues that weren't caught during testing phase because, guess what? These same people couldn't be bothered to open their own maps and tinker with them during PTR phase.

Blizzard is a huge company, but the team working on WarCraft 3 is much smaller. If you think this small team can find and fix all the bugs in a nearly 20 year old engine with regards to hundreds of thousands of different maps which were created over the years, WHILE adding major new features that improve the game experience and pave the way for the future, you need to have more realistic expectations.

Hardly anyone actually bothered to download and test anything in the PTR, it seems the vast majority just want others to do the testing for them.

This small team took the time to work with me with the errors I had while working on Damage Engine and they found the root cause after many hours of testing. The issues now being reported by people, people asking for the changes to be rolled back, where were you when the PTR was ongoing?

WarCraft 3 is only as strong as its community. If the community wants portability, compatibility and expansion, it's only fair to contribute error reporting during the testing phases and not settle for other people doing that work for you, because everyone has different circumstances and there are countless variations to consider that are impossible to predict from an armchair.

Level 31
Great patch Blizzard, thank you, this update is so aw... oh wait. just jk, patch so trash, now i can't even open my map to test (worked on it for like 1.5 years).
All the names are just destryoed.
Screenshot_23.png Screenshot_24.png
Poor small Indie company, can't afford to make a decent working patch.... im just so angry, so much work just gone....

Great patch Blizzard, thank you, this update is so aw... oh wait. just jk, patch so trash, now i can't even open my map to test (worked on it for like 1.5 years).
All the names are just destryoed.
Poor small Indie company, can't afford to make a decent working patch.... im just so angry, so much work just gone....

Why don't you have backups for something you've been working on for over a year? Furthermore there is a warning on the front page of hiveworkshop stating that this bug exists.

I suggest checking your JassHelper folder for backups. If you don't have JH enabled then you can look for an old version of you map if you have it, and export the strings and import them back into your map. If you don't have either of those then yes, your data is lost. However that is your fault for not keeping a single backup.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Why don't you have backups for something you've been working on for over a year? Furthermore there is a warning on the front page of hiveworkshop stating that this bug exists.
I agree.

Let this be a lesson to everyone that you should have backups. An easy way is to just keep your map in Dropbox and edit it from there. Dropbox keeps all old versions for a month. You can restore them via the web interface at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.