• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
How are you guys solving visibility issues when there are doodads between you and your character and pathing issues when the camera is behind a hill? I can't wait to play this from the 3rd person perspective but I also hope it will be mechanically legit.

Love the interiors Oziris, creative doodad use.

Level 6
How are you guys solving visibility issues when there are doodads between you and your character and pathing issues when the camera is behind a hill?

1: The camera will, in most cases, zoom onto your hero, until there aren't any doodads left between the viewer and the hero. We're currently developing several strategies for this to work accurately.

2: Not sure what you mean here. The camera will successfully follow the hero, and it will not have the user look through terrain. If you are on your way down a slope, the camera will adjust itself to that slope. Same applies if you're on your way up.

Level 6
As Oziris said; the camera will never fuck up because of the terrain itself.
Doodads however, may make the camera system a little confused.
As it is, the system I've coded works by recognizing a kind of area labeled as "camera-stopping". This is pretty efficient, but not very accurate: and it only works in 2d.
Which means that those areas Oz creates will stop the camera, even if the doodad is pretty small, and your current camera height is high. It's hard to explain x)

HeroSlayer is currently developing an alternate method to provide greater accuracy when encountering terrain obstacles such as rocks and trees.
If everything goes well, the camera system will be able to detect doodads in 3-dimensional space. Which means that the camera will be able to look at the hero in between camera-stopping objects. Depending on how performance taxing this is we may update the camera at some point to use this new method.

And while you wait for the demo, I'll give you 3 images of the newly updated talent interface.
It's still not 100% complete as I've yet to position everything correctly, and find a decent spot for the "Points remaining" text :)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_020711_161104_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_020711_161104_01.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 166
  • WC3ScrnShot_020711_162248_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_020711_162248_01.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 116
  • WC3ScrnShot_020711_162259_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_020711_162259_02.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Level 15
For the pathing, I mean that if your character is in front of a hill and you click in front of the character (for him/her to move forward) it will often register as you having clicked on the hill and the character will actually move backwards. Thus making it impossible to get the character away from the hill/cliff. If I understood you guys correctly, you are adjusting the camera pitch to compensate for hills so you won't have this problem - which is great.

Isn't there a texture for NE bottom border? As human texture doesn't fit or am I just mistaking. (Haven't seen those border textures for a while)

I personally think the human one is fine, but they can always just flip the top texture.

I'm loving the talent trees but i'm curious how you are going to set up the requirements. I hated how the TKOK trees made no sense at all and the abilities with similar requirements were all over the board instead of using the simple but sufficient top-down approach (low-level to high-level talents).

Level 17
To your comments regarding the talent trees (I call them skill trees, but whatever, ^.^), our approach for Pre Demo is simple - one tree will hold your active abilities, the other your talents. Talents and skills, however, demand no requirements, so players get that sense of freedom when it comes down to it. You also begin with five skill points, which is pretty much enough to create a viable, solid build, with or without talents. However, in my opinion, the way I've created talents and classes is certainly lackluster (but still quite enjoyable). When we release the skill trees, we will be using a different approach (each class will have four trees, a Primary and three Secondary trees - of which players can only have two - which will also be free of requirements (depending on whether players prefer it this way, but I feel that it gives players a lot more to do and play around with when beginning the game, and opens up early tactics with bosses and dungeons).

Level 6
For the pathing, I mean that if your character is in front of a hill and you click in front of the character (for him/her to move forward) it will often register as you having clicked on the hill and the character will actually move backwards. Thus making it impossible to get the character away from the hill/cliff. If I understood you guys correctly, you are adjusting the camera pitch to compensate for hills so you won't have this problem - which is great.

Yes, the camera's AoA will always be some points above the terrain in order to fix this problem.
Although, if the user order the hero towards the sky - we might have a little problem x)

Level 8
Yes, the camera's AoA will always be some points above the terrain in order to fix this problem.
Although, if the user order the hero towards the sky - we might have a little problem x)

Let's hope they don't do that then. If you can't find a solution, maybe a small notice at the beginning of the game could be displayed?

Level 6
Well, if the user tries to order the hero to walk to the sky - it's his own fault.
I mean, why would you target the sky? :O

This is a rare scenario, however, and may only happen if the player uses the lowest AoA and stands on a /-slope.
It's also very easily fixed by using the "Up" arrow key to adjust the AoA.

Level 15
I'll PM him and see whats up.

If I do do it, would you guys want a realistic-topography (visible height variations and color-coded zones depending on weather conditoins) or just a plain old parchment-style map with ink-drawn regions. The latter would be cooler IMO and easier to read, but the former would also tell players alot more about each zone.

EarthMap_2500x1250[1].jpg

VS.

Middle-Earth-map_UK_800_600[1].jpg

Level 17
I will be making all arrangements with Raven0 regarding the production of our world map in private, so shhh. =P

Just a quick progress report - we're going quite steadily, with several major bugs currently being fixed, and Tukki working hard on some new, impressive systems for your enjoyment.

Over the course of the weekend, I will be finalizing the Arena System and the "Battle of the Peak", then presenting it to you when I return from my tiny little vacation.

Level 6
A little progress update! :)

Since I'm pretty lazy, I'll just copy paste the change log and provide some small details regarding the more obscure changes.

[highlight](Note: this list probably contains some content spoilers!!)[/code]
• Added two new Magus talents (Damage Reflection and Intellect)
• Added support for talents in the Specialization Interface (Specface for short)
• Revised the quest Setting it Straight to better follow its intentional design
• Coded a multi-dimensional table system called StackFields to support upcoming systems
• Fixed the Upkeep information tab to display map version, download site and the team members
• Changed the cast time of Fireball and Barrage to their appropriate values
• Made numbers become highlighted in the Inventory and Specface multiboards
• Updated the Specface to display if the selected object is an ability or a talent
• Updated the description of many abilities to reflect their actual object editor tooltips
• Removed many useless interface details such as “Intelligence, Agility and Strength”
• Rewrote the Warrior's Juggernaut Stance ability
• Started work on moving from the old cast system to the new engine
• Fixed a bug in the CastEngine which allowed casting to continue after death
• Remade the multiboard texture
• Fixed computer-owned player names
• Added a monitor resolution system which can, provided with a proper resolution, resize most interface elements to fit your personal monitor!

[highlight]The following section does not contain any potential spoilers!![/code]

While many of these notes may be boring for the casual reader, there are some which are interesting!

First out are the talents: Yes - I've finally started to code the talents!

Second out are the various updates to the Inventory and Specface multiboards! (They look a lot better now!)

And last is the monitor system, which will resize most interface stuff to fit your monitor.

In WC3 a text tag size of 2 might look very good on a computer with a 1920x1080 resolution, but not quite as good on a 1240*1024.
This was brought up by diego yesterday, and since it's a problem for players with a different resolution than mine, I decided to create a system that could fix it.
And here it is.

The only catch is that it requires you to know your resolution, and manually write it. It's clearly explained so there shouldn't be any problems, though.
After writing your resolution the system will confirm it, and you'll be able to change it whenever you want!

Level 6
And last is the monitor system, which will resize most interface stuff to fit your monitor.

In WC3 a text tag size of 2 might look very good on a computer with a 1920x1080 resolution, but not quite as good on a 1240*1024.
This was brought up by diego yesterday, and since it's a problem for players with a different resolution than mine, I decided to create a system that could fix it.
And here it is.

The only catch is that it requires you to know your resolution, and manually write it. It's clearly explained so there shouldn't be any problems, though.
After writing your resolution the system will confirm it, and you'll be able to change it whenever you want!

So yeah, it's far from perfect :p
Funny thing is that you can actually write some really weird dimensions (such as 1337x7331) and it will resize accordingly x)

Thanks for the kind words, though :)

Level 6
An epic dimension indeed :D

Mad props to Oz for actually creating the video x)
Since both me and Wolfe said "You create the video Oz!!", more or less :)
Then he went through hell to learn encodes and adobe premiere etc.

Expect a little progress update later today!

Level 6
It's quite easy;
  • Import an image with a transparent border.
  • Then just display it using some system :D

At first, the images were about 500kb/each.
Now, after a lot of compression, they are at ~90kb/each.
So it's a good way to create backgrounds :) (Instead of using destructables)

EDIT: The system I use is: CLICK ME!

Level 6
Okay, after a day of bug-testing the new resolution system (and adding some features) I think that it is finished!

It will not only scale text-tags and images, but also multiboard text!
Some of you probably know that multiboards cover a % of your screen, which makes this system really handy since some of you might have problems displaying tooltips!
I.e 16% of 1920x1080 is much more than 16% of 1280x1024!
A maximum characters of 70 fits perfectly on 1920x1080, but is much higher than the appropriate value of 1280x1024 (which is around 45).

Some sort of preview might appear tomorrow ;)

Not much else has been done, coding-wise.
A little fixes here and there, etc. Nothing spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.