• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Sorry in advance if you've heard and answered this question before but, are spells going to be bought from a class trainer, or are you going to automatically learn a new spell at certain levels? I for one propose ( just a thought ) that you try make something similar to wow. You learn spells at trainers, but you also learn some 'special' spells from your talents ( which you later upg at trainer ). It is up to you guys, this was just an idea, sure you thought of it b4.

Level 17
In the demo, spells will be learn't via the talent trees. In the actual game, depending on whether players are happy with the basic, over-used talent tree system, abilities become a little more complicated with classifications, etc. I have ideas on how abilities may be obtained, but nothing really official.

Level 2
Take in consideration having trainers for spells, and certain spells you get from talent tree which are then further upgraded at trainers. Meh, dunno, anything you guys make suits me :D

Level 19
Sure:)
Maybe once the important stuff are done, the terrain could be made even better:)
Although I find it acceptable already.

Level 6
Grimoire's No Limit Hack is Oz's BFF.
^this

Also, that super-mega-deluxe system that Wolfe was going to be showing off later tonight or tomorrow, will probably not make it.
It's because I'd forgotten that we'd have guests tonight, my bad :(

Something worth pointing out on the screen shot topic is that we want to display the map the way it is/are going to be played.
The images won't simply do the map justice if we haven't finished all the essential parts.

To me, it seems like you guys have been working more on after-demo rather than demo.
This is true is some ways; but as Wolfe said - some of the game-breaking changes that we will introduce in the Post Demo, requires that I code much by myself.
Thus far, we've relied on a huge number of external scripts and systems.
I'm gradually coding our own versions of those systems to better suit our needs, and give us the power to do things we want them to be done.
While this delays the release of the Demo, I will have less things to code after the Demo - resulting in a much faster release of the Post Demo!

I'll promise something, though: at the end of the weekend you'll have some screenies of the intro of the demo!

Level 6
Alright folks!

Here are the promised pictures!
Note that everything you see is of course subject to change, etc. ;)
Comment and Critique!

(And yes, the balancing in this alpha build is completely off! :D)

Attachments

• Battle2.jpg
    Battle2.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Battle3.jpg
    Battle3.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Battle4.jpg
    Battle4.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Battle5.jpg
    Battle5.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Battle1.jpg
    Battle1.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Idle.jpg
    Idle.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Heal.jpg
    Heal.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 89
  • CameraDist.jpg
    CameraDist.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Battle7.jpg
    Battle7.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Battle6.jpg
    Battle6.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Intro1.jpg
    Intro1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Intro2.jpg
    Intro2.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Intro3.jpg
    Intro3.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 107
Level 2
1st : Plz refer to original hero icon or make it logical , you used POTM icon for WindRunner , didn’t you?
dongcung2.gif

2nd : You should use white floating text to display allies damage, bold white one for crit/bash/skill dam and red for enemies
foyourinfo.gif

3rd : About camera, is it possible to switch to normal view without cam lock?
09.gif

Anyway, awesome work , keep it up dudes
02.gif

Level 12
Kaiba, they said those wern't screenshots of official gameplay and that it would change. I think they know about 1, and have considered 2 and 3.

Level 17
1. Yeah, we already know that. Once our model is finished, proper icons will be assigned. The current models we use are placeholders. ^.^

2. I am unaware of what Tukki plans with his battle text system, but I'm sure he'll see your suggestion.

3. Sadly not - the terrain was designed for third-person camera systems. However, it is still quite flexible in terms of moving around, etc.

In another day, the progress report will be up, rife with gameplay screenshots as well as a small preview of our fourth and last class for Pre Demo. To give you a hint as to what it is - it uses our new casting system to its full potential.

Level 13
One thing just about terrain in the screenshots I noticed which maybe just to me look bad are the little trees!! They are sized down and look just bad so I would recommend fixing that but the rest I like.

Level 6
1st : Plz refer to original hero icon or make it logical , you used POTM icon for WindRunner , didn’t you?
2nd : You should use white floating text to display allies damage, bold white one for crit/bash/skill dam and red for enemies
3rd : About camera, is it possible to switch to normal view without cam lock?
Anyway, awesome work , keep it up dudes

Firstly, icons are only placeholders ;) But yes, that is correct.

Secondly, the scrolling battle text is configured as described below:
  • You'll only see damage/heal dealt to you, and the damage/heal you deal.
  • Damage is colored red, while healing is colored green.
  • A critical ("true blow") is easily distinguished because of it's transformation (Medium->Large)
  • Normal damage/heals transforms the other way around. (Medium->Small)
  • If you damage/heal a target with a high-frequency dot/hot, the system will not spam texts. (As noted in the Phoenix Dart/Unguent images)
Thirdly, as Wolfe said: no. It's quite configurable, however, with options such as: Angle-of-attack, rotation, camera distance & camera lag.

Imperial White Lion? You need some custom skins for the swordsmen, as they have an eagle on the shield. :)

So true! If you have something in mind, don't hesitate! :)

Look forward to Oz's video and Wolfe's report: they'll be awesome!!

Also, thanks for all the kind words folks. We appreciate them!

Level 9
So true! If you have something in mind, don't hesitate! :)

I got a time management issue, due to being a full time employee (as a .Net coder) and due to being in my 2nd (last; hopefully the last) year in a Masters course. However, I'd be willing to stick my head into a bit of skinning for you guys.

Don't call it an application to the project, as I'd hate to say "yes, yes, I want, I will, you can take that to the bank!" and then come in, empty handed. I'll see what I can do. :) Is that OK?

Level 12
Hmmm, maybe you could create a lion on the swordsman's shield instead of what he currently has drawn and change his helmet up a bit to resemble a lion. You could also change that gold tint on his armor to pure white/silver.

Level 6
I got a time management issue, due to being a full time employee (as a .Net coder) and due to being in my 2nd (last; hopefully the last) year in a Masters course. However, I'd be willing to stick my head into a bit of skinning for you guys.

Don't call it an application to the project, as I'd hate to say "yes, yes, I want, I will, you can take that to the bank!" and then come in, empty handed. I'll see what I can do. :) Is that OK?

It's always nice with more people!
Anyway, since many of us are in a boat similar to your's, I believe that it would be perfectly fine.
This is however, Wolfe's area - so I'll just notify him :)

Level 9
I'll look into it after the coming week. I still got 1 exam to go through, then I'll start working on my dissertation thesis. I guess I'll start drawing instead of playing WC3 from now on :D

Does that delay affect your deadline? :)

{EDIT}
It's always nice with more people!
Anyway, since many of us are in a boat similar to your's, I believe that it would be perfectly fine.
This is however, Wolfe's area - so I'll just notify him :)

Cool, we'll keep in touch then. :)

Yay! I get to give back to the community which offered me a lot (as far as WC3 goes) during the past years.
:vw_love::vw_love::vw_love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Since we suck at matching our deadlines (we had one planned for the Demo back in November), it shouldn't be much of a problem x)

A small shout out to everyone out there: The Demo just entered Beta-phase!

Cool, we'll keep in touch then. :)
Definitely! Expect some sort of message from Wolfe tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Level 17
I know, I know, you'll hate me for posting again without a report (coming in a few hours, by the way), but I'd just like to note a few things for the nice little video Oz made to present to you all!

• stats for abilities, etc. are not yet definite or balanced, so despite Oz being killed so easily, proving that soloing is difficult, it will be even harder, so you will be in need of a team
  • most creeps are yet to be placed and given abilities and events
  • you will not be able to get nearly every ability at level one, despite what the video showed you =P

That is pretty much all for now - hope you enjoyed that sneak peak!

Level 17

... Everwood Entertainment ...

Progress Report VI

Introduction
Hey guys,

I’ll make this quick. It has been quite a long time since we published a progress report, and I apologize, but life has been cruel to us all on the team. Onto team progress:

4eNNightmare, Lead Artist – resigned
Adiktuz, Coder – hiatus (three months)
Baassee, Coder – resigned
Dragonson, Artist – out of work
Goolygot, Modeller – awaiting orders
HeroSlayer, Lead Modeller – active
Oziris, Lead Terrainer – active
Tukki, Lead Coder – active
Wolfe, Project Lead – active

So as you can see, we’re pretty much dead when it comes to icons and textures, and coding has slowed down due to loss of baassee and Adiktuz. However, we’re slowly going along, so please be patient. I’d also like to repeat that:

DEMO – IT WILL BE RELEASED WHEN IT IS READY

Your patience is greatly appreciated, and though I’ve made some false promises in regards to release dates, I can assure you that we will not fail in our task. We are every bit as determined and passionate about this world that we are forging than you are of wanting to explore it. Also, I’d like to introduce BlackDoom and NFWarto the team as artists. They may not be here forever, but we very much appreciate their help, and hopefully, so will you.

Now, onto the part you guys love the most.

Regards,

Everwood Entertainment

The Imperial Crown
Imperial Crown

The Imperial Crown is a vast collection of human kingdoms governed by one great figurehead, the Emperor. The origins of this union stem from the shadow cast over the land by the demigod Jorzut in his crusade to become a god. As a result of Jorzut’s goals, the six human kingdoms agreed to come together as one single, united force and beat back the undead tide in a storm of blade, arrow and magic. After this great, decade-long war concluded, these kingdoms came together as the largest empire of humanity recorded in the pages of history.

The Imperial Crown is currently in an age of equal horror and splendour. Sparked by war, greed and the need for betterment, the Technoassance has begun, an age of technological advancement, which has brought upon the Grand Sciences and an even greater arsenal of wartime machines and tools. However, from the inside, this great empire is beginning to collapse as tensions between the kingdoms and their emperor escalate and dark shadows begin to gather over the empire once more.

The Imperial Crown once consisted of six countries, but now, only four remain loyal to the Crown. They are Vinosca, Boronia, Eternia and Siev. Players begin as foreigners from one of the two countries that left the empire upon its making.

Kingdom Information
Kingdom of Vinosca
Capital: Kravengarde
King: Francois Veldonn
Governor: Adriano Rivo

Situated in the easternmost borders of the empire, the Kingdom of Vinosca rests nicely amongst large trees and dense marshland caused by a great flooding three decades ago. Well known for their foods and trading assets, most Vinoscans are quite content with their existence governed by the council of the emperor and not their own king. Their worship of the god Vinos, who blessed them with the great floods during drought, was abolished. This has given way to patriots and priests of Vinos to rebel.
Kingdom of Eternia
Capital: Arenburg
King: Kurgan Brandirson
Governor: Francesco Carromicci

Down in the valleys of the Bronzetree Mountains is the Kingdom of Eternia, a vast, circular heartland filled with rolling, bronze plains and crisp autumn forests. Named for its eternal autumn and connection to the elemental spirits, the Eternians hold a great hatred for the emperor and his servants, often rebelling and killing those loyal to the empire.

Kingdom of Siev
Capital: Siringrad
King: Dmitry Stalov
Governor: Tanto Sinatro

The wildest and most untamed peoples of the empire reside in the arctic north of the continent, living in small, close-knit communities and traveling from the coast to their island. Like Vinoscans, the Sievan peoples are content with their existence, only because the emperor has no true control over the free-spirited Sievan tribes. Despite this, they know full well why the emperor cannot be trusted.
Kingdom of Boronia
Capital: Vena
King: Emperor Rinaldo D’Alessandro
Governor: None

Boronia, Mother of the Empire, and home of the emperor, is a land of religious discipline and magnificence. On the western borders of the empire, the mountain cities chiseled into the cliffs of the Bronzetree Mountains stand watchfully over the empires kingdoms, untrusting of those outside the Imperial Domain. The Boronians are extremely rich, and because of that, their military is well funded.

Casting System
The Casting System

Every game (MMO or WC3 RPG) features magic and even timed abilities, that each comes with cast times. In Shadows of Everwood ORPG, this is also the case. Casting, in my eyes, is a penalty for the abilities that do great things such as high damage, a knockdown and whatnot. Why is this a penalty, you ask? Well think about it – mage classes already wear very little armor, and are lacking in defense (relying solely on their own defensive spells) to be able to live through a fight, but deal high amounts of damage. This limits mages to being really affective in group play – but a lot of people like to be able to solo things, but not suffer for it, which is why we’ve upgraded the original casting systems you see in games to appeal to the needs of spellcasters that is flexible and allows you to even deceive your opponents. For those of you who are slightly confused, think of it as a mechanic that balances the poor cloth-wearing classes to the sneaky or brutal melee classes. For those of you who think this may unbalance the scale between healers, damage dealers, melee and whatnot, chill – melee classes will get a less drastic mechanic for their abilities, but if that isn’t enough, don’t worry. Abilities will all be specifically designed not to turn this system into a huge OP machine for casters. Keep reading for more details!

Cast Bars
Each ability with a cast time has a bar (each ending with an interval) that represents 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of casting progress that your spell can reach depending on what the player does. If a player stops, the progress of your cast is rounded down to a bar (so if you’re at 90%, it’ll go back down to 75%). Resuming your spell is as easy as clicking the icon (or using the hotkey) of the same ability. Clicking on a different ability will cancel your current cast.

When casting, enemy players are able to:
  • disrupt your casting by stunning, knocking you back or knocking you down
  • through a true blow from a foe, you lose a bar of casting
  • certain abilities can extend the duration of your cast times or even slow down your casting

When casting, ally players are able to:
  • hasten your casting through the use of certain abilities

When casting, you are able to:
  • hasten your casting through buffs (if you have them) before casting
  • move while casting
  • stop casting at any time by clicking the icon of that ability, rounding down to a bar and fading after five seconds (bar-by-bar)
  • resume casting by clicking the same ability, but the energy cost is unaffected

Demo Update
Demo Update
You guys saw the video Oz posted – the demo, as you can see, is going very well. If we keep to this pace, we’ll be well on our way to release. As Tukki also stated, the demo has reached BETA Development stage, which means very soon (in a month or so, perhaps), private BETA testing will begin. What does this mean? Yes – you guessed it. Six lucky fans will be able to test the game with the members of our team. However, don’t get your hopes up – we’re not taking applications for testers yet. When we are ready, we will tell you, and recruit those six lucky people.

In terms of design, I am currently working on expanding the demo with quests, as well as testing and polishing the class abilities. On that note, you’ve been formally introduced to the Warrior and the Ranger. Sadly, I have no time to get all fancy with the two last classes, so I’ll re-introduce all four Pre Demo classes to you now.

• Firstly, we have the Warrior, a flexible tanking class whose abilities give players the option to deal damage or become a fully-fledged tank. One of his greatest feats is his/her aforementioned flexibility, but also his/her ability “Lord of War”, which does something different depending on your weapon currently equipped.
  • Secondly, there is the Ranger, a self-sufficient condition spreading damage dealer whose abilities able the other classes do be better through the amount of Conditions you place on targets. The Ranger also features his/her own bear, which is uncontrollable, but gives you a better chance of survival (as you are the weakest class in terms of armour, etc.).
  • Thirdly is the benevolent Paragon, another self-sufficient class that borders on being a tank and supporting class with healing abilities and buffs. The most unique feature on this class is his/her ability to deal damage and heal at the same time through a “defensive and offensive” target system, which is similar to the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning system for those who are familiar.
  • Last is the destructive Magus, a powerful tempest of elemental and arcane magic, whose abilities allow him/her to dispatch multiple foes quickly. Like the Ranger, the Magus uses Conditions, but at the price of her AoE, energy management and threat management is crucial. Unlike the Ranger, the Magus is able to buff allies.

And there you have it with the classes, folks. I designed them, and although not remotely unique (who hasn’t seen a Warrior, Mage or Ranger before?), they fulfil their roles quite well and do even better when they cooperate with each other. However, these classes aren’t here to stay forever – they’re Pre Demo classes, Post Demo classes will be even better based on player feedback!

As for the demo itself, it will be released in three big versions (with patches and bug fixes in between). Each version includes a whole new chapter of gameplay, with new talents, items, etc. In the first version, it includes:
  • two quest chains
  • four classes
  • six abilities per class
  • an arena system
  • the death system
  • your first armor set
  • a lot of creeps with diverse mechanics and events

A pretty basic outline for now - I'm sure I forgot a few things, but as the versions go on, you'll be introduced to new bosses, the first of the four major dungeons, event quests (six planned for the whole demo) and more. When all of the demo is out, surveys will be published and uploaded, and feedback from players regarding mechanics, systems, etc. will be taken in, filtered, and things (I guarantee this) will change because of the players. This means Pre Demo and Post Demo might be two completely different experiences.

That is all for the demo thus far, as if I keep going, I’ll spoil the surprise for you all!

Future Endeavours
Future Endeavours

Not that I want to spoil everything for Post Demo (our plans, that is), but I’d just like to highlight a major change in our overall goal. That being said, some of you might be disappointed, but most of you will be relieved to know that it will probably take a year of development off from the whole game.

Now, this major change is the removal of our original PvP mechanics between two factions. For newcomers who are unfamiliar, the original plan was three maps – two for PvE (one per faction) and a PvP map where both factions met and did battle. That plan has changed – there will only be two maps, the PvP and PvE, however two factions will still appear. Through storyline towards the end of the Imperial Crown PvE map, players will witness the second faction rise, and then do battle in the PvP map. What this does is it introduces minor PvP mechanics in the PvE map, as well as makes players feel like their contributing to the storyline that leads you into the PvP map. That pretty much sums up the future of Shadows of Everwood – I won’t go on, because I’ll probably spoil the storyline for you all.
That's all for now, folks.

Level 8
Keep up the amazing work, everyone! Wolfe, you've really outdone yourself with this one. I congragulate your efforts on heading such astounding project. Can't wait to see the beta!

Level 17
No idea, nuuh.

Just a quick list of what I am currently working on:
  • an arena system that includes gambling, dueling and even AI scenarios
  • the first event quest in the game - "Battle of the Peak"
  • "Battle of the Peak" boss fight

Not much, but in the coming week, I'll be opening up "Battle of the Peak" and the Arena System to you all.

Level 3
No idea, nuuh.

Just a quick list of what I am currently working on:
  • an arena system that includes gambling, dueling and even AI scenarios
  • the first event quest in the game - "Battle of the Peak"
  • "Battle of the Peak" boss fight

Not much, but in the coming week, I'll be opening up "Battle of the Peak" and the Arena System to you all.

Now THAT I can be patient for. An arena? nice. What map will it be featured in?

I've been making a new area under the academy, the sanctuary. It will feature a capture the flag quest which will be located in the sanctuary's garden. In the sanctuary you'll be facing an ogre boss.

Here are some WIPs for you people to keep you entertained. Also the awesome hero model which is being made by heroslayer is going to be tested tonight. Maybe some news and screenshots tomorrow!

Attachments

• First room.JPG
    First room.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 124
  • room1b.JPG
    room1b.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 126
  • roomnight.JPG
    roomnight.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Garden.JPG
    Garden.JPG