• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
It depends on your character. You're fighting your exact duplicate down to the last potion. We're not designing SoE to be one of those "die and just get rezzed instantly" games. Death is a penalty - your aim is to avoid it. With the right build (as each class has many survival abilities), you can avoid it.

If you really know your character, you'd know how to counter it, so the fight would be quick if you know what the hell you're doing.

But we're talking about the Warcraft III engine here with hosts that may possibly lag... not every death is going to be avoidable to an extent.

Here's my suggestion, just to make it less agonizing if you fail once:
• Reduce penalty for loss to 45 or 60 seconds
• For every loss, the spirit is weakened with a buff that reduces its attack damage by 8% (up to 5 times = 40%, where you just may be desparately fighting an uber spirit)

Level 1
Hi guys! I saw ur project yesterday first time and I'm very interested in this. I like ur death system, but I think u should change the time u have to wait until u can try figthing against u again, because 2 min are a long time to wait and also in a boss fight u need to come back soon. The way to become revived by a spell I think is somethink for the high leveld guys and cant be made by lower heroes so u have to wait all the time. :(

This is just my opinion! :D

Hi guys! I saw ur project yesterday first time and I'm very interested in this. I like ur death system, but I think u should change the time u have to wait until u can try figthing against u again, because 2 min are a long time to wait and also in a boss fight u need to come back soon. The way to become revived by a spell I think is somethink for the high leveld guys and cant be made by lower heroes so u have to wait all the time. :(

This is just my opinion! :D

personally, I think that death is highly "evadable" in this project because of the hero's abilities, items etc...

and on boss fights, you don't just go and spam skills, slash and slash, you need to have a strategy...

you're supposed to use your mind and plan your every move in this game, not just go out spamming ur skills until the enemies die...

anyway, just wait until you've played the demo, and I'm sure you'll understand everything...

Level 12
Really, guys? 2 minutes isn't that long. Personally, I think it should be a bit more.
Just a question, is the doppelganger exactly like you? Or is he weaker/stronger? I'm guessing he doesn't have a really great AI that lets him have a brain and use skills completely strategically as a human player, so you have a big advantage anyways.

Level 12
Exactly what I thought.
For that, I think the 2 minute thing is actually a pretty small amount of time, since you'll probably always win.

Level 17
Yes - your opponent is a split image. He/she will have your exact skill build, items, stats, look and potions. The AI will hopefully be similar.

Level 3
wow, this map will be really awesome :D
and yes, the character looks pretty much like tes iv (I play alot of it)
and the new attachment parts are really cool too :D
really a nice work!
waiting for the demo :(

Level 6
Okay, new year's eve; still no demo :(
What's going on??

Well, two things really:
1: We're currently in the process of creating and placing units, this is not as simple as it sounds.
Why? Because we use several systems that need to be instructed what to do, systems that takes care of AI, attack data, stats and other hidden mechanics.​

2: Even though it's a fun thing to do, it's just another hobby: personal things goes first.​

This being said, we're still going strong.
I've finished constructing the units in the object editor, and I've set up most of their hidden stats.

I'll ask Wolfe to put up some new screenshots when he has the time :)

Level 17
Grey, soon. As of now, it is a matter of getting all of our coding done and dusted, and finally, testing.

To the rest of you, I sincerely apologize for the lack of activity lately. We've been hard at work, and in a few days (maybe even a week, as I'll be away for a week) I will be making a mass update to the thread with up-to-date information and actual gameplay screenshots with previews of classes, and updated story, and introduction to the second faction, a world map, detailed system overviews (Quest System, Death System, Party System, etc.). Mostly, there will be a lot of text and pictures for you to feast your eyes on.

Until then,

Wolfe

Level 20
Cool, cool, btw... How will NPCs feature in this?
Simply populating towns? Can you speak to any of them or just the important ones?
Are there guards? If so are they merely for show or will they attack/you or enemies if circumstances require such?
Do you ever have people following/assisting you?
etc =P

Level 17
We are trying to approach NPCs realistically.

Yes, they are populating towns, however via code we will be creating simple artificial intelligence for them to make it seem as if they are actually living out their lives. Waking up at dawn, opening shops, shopping, guards training and/or going to their posts, then going home at night, etc. It is a long process, however.

In terms of dialogue, we may give players the ability to interact with random NPCs and giving NPCs a database of random tips and quotes to help the player. Things like:

• "I suggest you go see <insert name here>."
  • "Hail, friend! Have you seen the exotic goods here? They've cut the prices by over a half!"
  • "I hear that a witch resides in the east."
  • "Try NOT to die."

Quotes like that. They're not in the game. They're just examples. Guards are present in the game, and thus far (in the Prelude), you do involve yourself with guards both with them being hostile and you aiding them. As for the long-term, it is something to consider, but also something I cannot guarantee.

For your last point - it is unlikely this will be implemented. However, in single-player (a mode we intend to implement in later versions, my apologies to those who hate multiplayer, you'll just have to wait), I plan on designing a mercenary system in which you can buy out foreign slaves (amazons, barbarians, beasts) or have timed mercenaries that represent the other classes.

Hey, do you think you can add in a custom 'hostility' system, like in Oblivion?
So, a certain character will behave differently to you depending on your status.
eg. if a person likes you, they'll say: Greetings! I heard that the Armoursmith is having a bargain sale!
and if they dislike you; F*** off, you nosy prick.
Something like that.

Level 17
A reputation system is unlikely. =P

I am now on my mobile because I am away, so expect slower responses.

Level 5
uhmmm would you prefer a woman with big boobs ???? or a flat woman???? lol jk
for all those who dont know, im the model maker, and i would like to inform you that Ive done nearly all animations and they look really cool ;)
Ive also done some attachments of weapons and some armor
Im currently trying to make robes... that will be hard to match with animations o.o

Level 20
That's COOL, though it's not quite as simple as you'd hope I fear...
Too many things to consider. ;p

e.g. don't forget players will TRY to break the system, idk why, there are just people like that. for e.g. running off to 'draw' enemies to a town - if the AI is too simple and NPCs run away, they might not go back to their post or open a shop or something... :p

Keep it simple, but make it thorough! ;)

Yeah don't do a renown system... YES it would be epic but it'd need to be integrated with the AI, making it even more complex D:
You'd also need 'classifications' T_T *shudders*

Level 20
Same thing really, npc opinions?
It'd involve making everyone love/hate you (boring) or classifying people... in guilds/factions/unique mindsets.

Which I presume would be a lot of work these guys could do without :p

The suggestion was good though, it WOULD be cool to see that!

Level 3
Might I suggest details in guards and higher ranked units within their uniform? and also, what are the coat of arms for the city's have you made some yet? that'd be cool to see :D

Three maps in all, one is the Imperial Crown which is about to get released, the second one is Nahajin Lodge which will be featured north of the Imperial Crown and a PvP map, players from the Imperial Crown will be able to fight with the Nahaijin Lodge players and who wins gets to kill the most strongest enemy in the SoE.

Edit: I drew the Krevengarde armor, it's still a WIP art. Bad quality btw.

Attachments

• 15072010337.jpg
    15072010337.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 15072010338.jpg
    15072010338.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 128
Level 5
How many levels are there? I'd actually say it looks kind of low-level looking imo, as high-level tends to be more buff and even more detailed

like lasers and fire on the armor??? or perhaps a phoenix flying around the helmet o.o

you are wrong dude

Level 17
On phone so I am unable to look at the drawing. So to help the the discussion there are four tiers of armour.

I've drew the first armor set of the game, just can't take a photo, I left my phone at my friends house! I'll be also getting a scanner sometime soon.

Some update from me:

-I finished the terrain for the pre demo

-Pathed it 100%

-Started terraining a new area that is located northeast of Kravengarde!

It's a land of magic and mistery, this is going be very interesting to terrain!
The WIP terrain shows only the road to the magical land. Stay tuned to see more of it!

Attachments

• MagicLand.JPG
    MagicLand.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 2,434
Level 6
Yarr folks!

There's a small content update on the coding side of life :)
Not sure of Oziris or Wolfe disclosed information regarding a failed test run during the last weekend..
Anyway; we tested the map and guess what? No one crashed or disconnected! :D

We realized, however, that there is a good amount of fixing remaining before we can release the demo..
Also minor details such as information to keep players from going
berserk, unit positions and redesigns will prolong the time until a demo release.

As for the content update:
  • A short ~30 sec. cinematic showing the first camp has been nearly completed (about 90%)
  • Lots of minor buggfixes such as abilities having high mana costs, damaging wrong targets etc. have been corrected!
  • A villager AI has been added: Kravengarde's citizens will now have a little more fun!
  • A CameraObject system has been coded, allowing for very smooth and good-looking fly-through-cinematics of areas.
  • A secret hero's skillset has been fully coded!
  • Many improvements and redesigns on the Paragon skillset!
  • A minor update to the hashing algorithm that handles save&load codes, reducing the number of characters in some scenarios.

So hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.