• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice about quests but why no contest about seventh class???

If you maybe read you will know why. I'm just going to quote, pff.

I've decided to cancel the Seventh Class Design Contest as I would rather have it when all Post Demo classes have been announced.

This is because we don't want confusion with our already made classes that are unrevealed and the ones you would make.

Level 5
Oziris can i just pm you with the story of what i thinked and the picture??? for seventh class i had????

I have made a area where you are transported after you die. What happens next is up to Wolfe to tell you!

Attachments

• Death zone.JPG
    Death zone.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 158
Level 15
Will you guys have cast times or just instant-cast abilities?

Cast times would add alot to gameplay and allow for additional ability mechanics. It would really add a new aspect to gameplay (you could even have abilities like curse of tongues from WoW that slows a unit's spell casting time by 50% - stuff like that)

BTW Oziris I really like the death area. Have you thought about adding graves (maybe popping out of the rocks or floating in the air)?

EDIT - have you guys asked to make this a hosted project? It's obviously a highly watched mod and becoming hosted would allow you guys to have multiple forums for different things instead of just massing it all in one thread. Plus we only have like one active hosted project atm and it's a campaign.

Level 17
Will you guys have cast times or just instant-cast abilities?

Cast times would add alot to gameplay and allow for additional ability mechanics. It would really add a new aspect to gameplay (you could even have abilities like curse of tongues from WoW that slows a unit's spell casting time by 50% - stuff like that)

BTW Oziris I really like the death area. Have you thought about adding graves (maybe popping out of the rocks or floating in the air)?

EDIT - have you guys asked to make this a hosted project? It's obviously a highly watched mod and becoming hosted would allow you guys to have multiple forums for different things instead of just massing it all in one thread. Plus we only have like one active hosted project atm and it's a campaign.
Abilities do have cast times, and there are other abilities that either accelerate that or hinder it. Cast times are very much a part of the game, especially classes that require such mechanics. What I am considering on adding is the flexibility of cast times and dividing it into intervals. For example, there are five intervals, but if I manually stop the cast at the third interval, the spell will still commence, it will just deal less damage. There are all kinds of possibilities.

With the arena, I do not think graves are necessary. That arena is a pivotal part of our 'death' system, and when I mention arena, it may strike you that a part of this system involves fighting in the afterlife. More details will come eventually. ^.^

We have considered it, and I've even PMed Ralle and asked him whether it was worth doing it. He said yes, but I'd really prefer to have a playable version of the map ready before we advance to that step. Having a playable map would certainly increase the activity on our hosted forum.

Level 6
Kleera said:
I am still amateur ;)
Aren't we all? :)

A quick update on the coding progress:
  • Quests
    • Finished another quest. (total quest progress: 4/5)
    • Minor fixes to the cut-scenes and another scene added!
  • Abilities
    • All Demo abilities have been coded!
    • New spell-effects have been added to the Ranger.
  • Misc
    • "Cutscene" library now features over 3 different in-game created "scenarios"
    • Cliff-detector added: players won't be able to run up and down steep hills/ravines.
    • Work on an epic and unique Weather system has begun.

Nice tukki! Now we can work on the Warrior spell effects next ^^

The Weather system is my idea and I'm sorry if I'm prolonging the pre-demo but it's jut for the better gameplay!

Okay, here how it goes:

Night and Day will last 30 minutes which will give a more realistic feeling rather then Day/Night every 5 minutes.
The day and night will feature clouds, 2D clouds in the sky that are moving and projecting a shadow under them that's following them which will give an epic feeling to the terrain.
The day will have a sun that will circle around the map, same for the night, a moon will be circling around.
When clouds are concentrated on one spot it will cause them to rain (Heavy, Light)/snow(Light).

and that folks is the Weather system!

Level 3
Nice tukki! Now we can work on the Warrior spell effects next ^^

The Weather system is my idea and I'm sorry if I'm prolonging the pre-demo but it's jut for the better gameplay!

Okay, here how it goes:

Night and Day will last 30 minutes which will give a more realistic feeling rather then Day/Night every 5 minutes.
The day and night will feature clouds, 2D clouds in the sky that are moving and projecting a shadow under them that's following them which will give an epic feeling to the terrain.
The day will have a sun that will circle around the map, same for the night, a moon will be circling around.
When clouds are concentrated on one spot it will cause them to rain (Heavy, Light)/snow(Light).

and that folks is the Weather system!

Sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see it in action.

Level 3
Weather system is EPIC, +rep to you for telling us.
EDIT: I cant give you rep because i must spread it somewhere else.

Level 6
XenoStalker said:
Will the weather system be a looping function?

I'm just curious how many systems you people plan on having going on at one given time, it might clog up memory.
How solid is your guys' control over leaks? The map leakless so far? ANSWER ME! ^.^
Yeah, it'll be running forever in the background.

Well, we've a lot of systems running currently and while some of them might be intensive, I've tried to reduce spike-loads and even out the computing. As for leaklessness, I'd guess so; can't promise since I've only created about 40~50 of our 100+ triggers :p

I can guarantee, though, that if you experience any lag while playing the map (something that I've yet to experience) it's probably caused by awesome terrain :>
And I've implemented the -camera lag command for the sole purpose of reducing terrain lag.

I'm inferring that most of the size is from music. I can tell from screenshots that SoE doesn't spam custom tilesets and doodads like Gaias Retaliation or Diablo 3 Warcraft, models themselves are about 100kb anyways, and from that hero model, I think they will use ingame textures, and they are using attachments, which are like 5kb.

Level 6
Since the last update I've done a lot of minor fixing to our systems.
Mainly regarding combat and movement.

Remaining work for me should be:
  • Creating a lot of units
  • Adding all items
  • Fixing spell effects
  • Testing
  • Reserved for stuff like bug fixing

And a little present for you until we release the demo ;D
> Google translate beatbox (hit "Listen")​

Level 17
So, I thought I'd update you on SoEORPG's Party System which, though it will be in effect in Pre Demo, its potential will be fully realized in Post Demo when players vary in levels (high or low).

Party System
Shadows of Everwood ORPG will introduce a new party system to help organize the game a lot more, encourage the making or playing with friends and creating an even better gaming experience for players. This party system will be limited to each tier (elaborated below), but grant players in parties a greater advantage in the game, hence making their gaming experience better and freer.

Parties are limited to the three tiers of the game. You cannot be in a party with a player in another tier. Tiers are as follows:
  • Prelude, Chapter I, Chapter II
  • Chapter III
  • Chapter IV

Features
The party system includes:
  • shared vision between party members
  • loot roll
  • warnings when a player is below twenty five percent health and mana
  • hero glow around party members
  • shared gold
  • ability to use “arcane dust” to teleport to and from town as long as an ally is nearby

Players in a party are able to share two things – vision and gold. When a Satchel of Gold is dropped and a player picks it up to reveal a random amount, that amount is then divided amongst players. Vision is able to be shared when you’re lost or require assistance and your party does not know where you are. By typing in –sv, an arrow will appear leading you to the remainder of the party. You can turn this off by typing in the same command.

Summary:
  • when you receive a Satchel of Gold, the amount is tallied and split amongst party members
  • typing in –sv will create an arrow that will guide you to the locations of your party members

When an item of value is dropped from a monster, players are unable to pick it up until it has been rolled for. The game will automatically roll for each player after thirty seconds and display the results in the Character Panel. If players wish to vouch out of the roll, they must type –nr. The highest roll gets the ability to pick up the item. If that player does not want the item (which he/she should seeing as he/she did not decline), he/she is able to drop it.

Summary:
  • loot is untouchable until rolled for, only stats, etc. are displayed
  • players who do not wish to have the item must type –nr to get out of the rolling tally within thirty seconds
  • results are displayed briefly in Character Panel
  • players can drop the item and give it to someone else

This is mainly for supporting classes; however it is also a good reminder for back-up tanks to prepare to take threat from damage dealers and for damage dealers to slow down on their damage out-put. Whenever an ally has only 25% or less HP or MP, each player receives an in-game text that displays the name of the player, the class and “<insert class here><insert name here> is under 25% health and mana”.

Summary:
  • each player is reminded when a player is below 25% HP and MP
  • “<insert class here><insert name here> is under 25% health and mana” is the text

Each member of your party has a hero glow. This highlights who is in your party, but is also colour-coded by your ally to suit his or her position. The party leader assigns who has these colours, so it is assumed that your leader knows what he/she is doing.

• Red – main tank
  • Blue – back up tank
  • Teal – healer
  • Purple – damage dealer

Party leadership immediately goes to Player Red who is automatically the party leader of his/her own party. Player Red is also able to elect others to become party leaders through the -elect command. Once elected, players are divided by parties.

Summary:
  • player red elects party leaders through the -elect <insert colour here> command
  • player red is already a party leader

In the game, there is an item known as Arcane Dust that allows allies to teleport to each other. This links players together better, however it does not work for players in dungeons. What I mean is, if you are outside of a dungeon, your party members inside cannot teleport out to you.

Summary:
  • players can teleport to party members with Arcane Dust
  • does not work if you're in a dungeon and your party members are out of it

• Currently working on Altherous the Bloodstirrer and the Hellshade (mini-bosses), re-writing quest dialogues and designing mobs and mob mechanics.

Last edited:
Level 9
Yeah, it'll be running forever in the background.

Well, we've a lot of systems running currently and while some of them might be intensive, I've tried to reduce spike-loads and even out the computing. As for leaklessness, I'd guess so; can't promise since I've only created about 40~50 of our 100+ triggers :p

I can guarantee, though, that if you experience any lag while playing the map (something that I've yet to experience) it's probably caused by awesome terrain :>
And I've implemented the -camera lag command for the sole purpose of reducing terrain lag.

Good to hear.

Camera lag command sounds pretty handy for sh*tty computers :p

Wolfe. Demo.

Level 17
Wow, if you're putting this much effort into making a map for Wc3, you might as well make a whole new game with your amazing skills :p

We very well could, and who knows, it may evolve into that. But we'd require so much more in terms of resources, more team members with different roles, etc. xD

Level 9
Wolfe, your party system (in theory) is very innovative. I like how you took the annoying things and made them simple. The recognition feature is very original in terms of a Warcraft map. I don't agree with having player 1 being the party leader automatically though. Each player should have a chance to create their own party and invite their own players. Besides, if a Ghost bot ever hosts this map publicly then noobs may be the party leader and end up screwing everything up.

Also. Wolfe. Demo.

Level 9
Saying it wont haste things.

I've known Wolfe for years, he's been a shaman for two of my clans.
He's never made a map in those years too, ironically. This is the first project I've seen him do and it's turning out rather well - with no demo.

--

Hasten*

--

Wolfe my last question about parties is if they will only be for the "acts" or "chapters" that people are in - you mentioned something like this if I recall (the limitations).
Also, what grounds do we viewers stand on in terms of hero suggestions; races, magic, theme, etc...?

:goblin_good_job:

Wait... Wolfe. Dem- oh yea nvm contests yea yea...

Level 17
The whole Player Leadership thing may be changed, but I agree with you on the whole Ghost Bot thing. Certainly something to consider.

Yes - parties are restricted to the three tiers. The reason for this is because of power-leveling. Experience is limited to the members of a party that killed an opponent. Another reason is so that cut-scenes can be limited to just that party, rather than interrupting the game for all players, as well as quest dialogues. So if a player goes and accepts a quest, all party members have that quest. It is so much easier with dialogues as well and the storyline.

Level 17
We're hoping to release it after New Years. Progress will pick up soon, as exams are ending and my team are getting ready for the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.