• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I dont say there arent enough, i did only say people like screenshots, as much as they can see. I am not saying you aren't working hard, nor requesting you to give more screenshots or progress.
If you have understoot it the wrong way, i apologise, because it wasnt my intention.
Sorry for my english.

Level 17
Hello guys, just a bit of progress for you. As Oziris has told you, we did have a meeting last night regarding the way professions (classes) will work in Post Demo as well as some extension systems for such a system. I'll briefly elaborate on how professions will work in the demo below, and even a Post Demo class (yes, hoorah!).

Each profession will have three skill trees, two dedicated to that profession, and one that has three abilities relevant to that professions from other professions. For example:

I'm a Warrior, but I am able to use the Ranger abilities Sprint, Tripwire and Grim Slash (these are just made up) and the Necromancer abilities Festering Slash, Necrotic Shield and Plagueskull (again, made up abilities).

Each profession tree will have twelve abilities (depending on how many classes we have, the third tree will vary). Abilities will also be categorized by profession AND weapon. So the twenty-four class abilities you have are not influenced by your weapon. Rather, for each weapon type, there is six abilities exclusive to that weapon that you can access. Weapon abilities will work differently to class abilities in the sense that because you obviously will not use the same weapon all of the time, you will not have to dedicate any skill points to those abilities. Rather, weapon abilities are influenced by your stats.

We also explored the possibility of opening each class up to all weapons and armours, but adding weight to each weapon and armour to include a sense of realism to gear. Such a concept is still being considered, as I want some classes to have a sense of individuality when it comes to their weapons/armour.

Now, onto the part you're all probably dying to read.

I present to you... the Shade!

Profession
The Shade
“NEVER SHEATH YOUR BLADE FOR THE SHADE OF DEATH LURKS AT EVERY CORNER.”

"My travels across the world brought me to a quaint tavern in a small fishing village along the River Vinos. Many of the men in the tavern were drunk and rowdy, harassing the poor barmaids and chuckling like idiots. However, there was one cloaked figure who stood out from the small crowd. I assumed it was a woman, for the cloak outlined a slim, delicate figure.

She sat upon a stool over the counter, her face shadowed by a cowl. I took a seat on the other side of the room, and that is when I fully realized whom or what she was. One of the drunkards moseyed over to her with an uneven step, and grinned like a moron.

‘Say you come up with me and we have a good time, ey lady?' he questioned, his speech slurred and barely comprehendible. The woman sat there and ignored him. He pursed his lips and his face displayed anger. 'Ey, lady, you got no right to ignore me!' the drunkard exclaimed, grabbing her shoulder.

Then, the woman came to life, as if awoken suddenly. The stool she sat upon fell to the wooden floors and within seconds, the drunkard was on the floor with his eyes closed, a stream of blood freely flowing from his mouth. I was certain that he was not alive.

The other hooligans rose from their seats, fists clenched, and encircled the cloaked woman. 'You killed our friend, whore!'

She let her cloak fall to the floor, allowing me identify the woman. She was very tall, and had purplish white skin. Her hair was jet black, tied together by a metallic band that dangled from her head. Tied around the bottom of her tail was a keen knife that glowered in what little light the fireplace emitted. Grasping her body was certainly metal, but she did not have much of it. It wrapped around her as if multiple vipers entangled her, hiding her womanhood, but still revealing enough to astonish. How could such a fragile warrior wear so little?

One of the men lumbered forward, swinging his right fist in an arc. In a wicked blur, the temptress withdrew a long dagger that severed the man’s fist from his arm. He screamed in agony for a brief moment. However, he was interrupted as his assailant’s foot, clad in black metal, came crashing into his gut. He fell back, knocked out by the sudden blow. The remaining four men closed in on her, and she smirked with glee, for another dagger appeared in her opposite hand. She stepped back, raising her daggers defiantly, and leaped upon one of her opponents like a cat. The woman was clearly in frenzy, aroused by the sounds of pain that resonated within the small tavern. Her opponent collapsed. I gazed at what little of his back I could make out, and saw the cause of his demise – his back was dotted with bloodied holes.

The woman was silent, but as her daggers sliced through air and flesh, they made a soothing song that eased the carnage that I witnessed slightly. Another man fell to the ground, his left arm detached, and his shirt red with blood from a deep gash in his throat. As the two remaining men staggered, she stood back, smiling like a child. The fires that danced within the hearth faded within seconds, and shadows lingered all around. I was blinded by the blackness, but heard many sounds. The song of blades came to my ears like angelic music, interrupted by the sound of flesh being cut and heavy objects falling to the floor. When the bladesong concluded, I knew that the battle was over. Shadows dispersed, and the inn was silent. Chairs, tables and kegs littered the wooden floorboards, accompanied by the five corpses of dead men. When I say five, I do mean five. The man knocked out by the woman earlier was stabbed once more, lying amongst splintered wood and ale.

Astonished by this scene of bloodshed, I turned around and, to my amazement, saw the cloaked assassin gazing at me. Our eyes met, and all of my courage melted upon the sight of her decadent silver eyes. She grinned, and said:

'hatred looms high above the land – the shadow of death has come to purge all who encourage it.' With that, she left.

Thus, I dubbed her a Shade – a bloodthirsty harpy who dances across the field of battle, leaving behind a trail of blood and shadow.”

Role Melee Damage
Primary Stats Agility, Strength
Weapon Proficiencies
Armour Type
Swords, Daggers, Katars, Fists
Light Metal

Blood Specialization
Shades that specialize in this mastery tree embrace their knowledge of weaponry to combat the foes they encounter. Quite often, you will find one of these murderous charlatans dancing across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind a trail of blood and misery.

Shadow Specialization
Shades that specialize in this mastery tree are malicious, calculating and selfish in their actions. Adept at fading into the shadow realm, finding traps and then disarming them, these common criminals are usually found tricking honest folk and selling themselves off as assassins and mercenaries.

Profession Mechanics
Dance of Blades
Shades are able to dance across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind only blood and misery. Players initiate a sequence of events called a dance, in which all abilities used acts as a step. As you execute a step, your next ability will deal more damage, until you unleash a devastating finale upon your foes. If you exceed the limit, you become exhausted, decreasing your movement and attack speed significantly. Maintaining the dance is crucial, but difficult, as you only have a certain amount of time allocated between each step. Generally, that time is three seconds.

Attacks
Shades are masters of battle who have practiced ancient battle techniques. Of these techniques is the skill rotation in which each ability is classified as a Lead, Off or Follow strike. This also applies to steps in the Dance of Blades.

• Lead attacks are initiating attacks that leave a target with the “Lead” debuff and often carry Conditions
• Off attacks are follow-through offhand attacks that deal more damage if a target has “Lead” and often worsen Conditions
• Follow attacks are optional double strikes only usable after an Off attack has been used, dealing double damage

I see what you did there.. By taking an idea of mine and putting it in a map everyone's heard of, my idea becomes, "cool, nice idea" for you and "stole it from SoE" for me >.>

ontopic, I like the shade, even if I do feel my idea for class-trees and customizable spells was stolen :[

ahmm, I think class-trees and customizable spells are being used in a lot of games nowadays so I don't think its right for you to say that it was your idea, unless all of those other games (I'm talking about stand-alone games like WoW) got that idea from you...

Level 17
I honestly do not understand what you mean. Class tree's are essentially a part of a lot of RPGs and MMOs, and customizable spells... do you mean spells that you as the player create? Too complex to do, and we don't have that in our map. o.o

Level 17
ubran, I do not enter Hive Chat very often, so I was not aware of it being your idea. We did discuss it last night. HeroSlayer suggested the foundations of such a system, and we expanded on it from there. I am not aware of if he got the idea from Hive Chat, but I am sure that none of us have stolen your ideas.

you need to realize that in reality, if ur doing RPG's its pretty easy to come-up with an idea that is almost if not exactly the same as the idea of other people without realizing it so even if you don't post your ideas for this kind of map on a public place, it is highly likely that someone will have that same idea... especially when it comes to spell systems and such...

Level 5
I know the whole, "nothing is truly original" idea. My heart just got smashed to pieces when half of what made a portion of my map stand out is created as part of another, more popular map, because the logical side of me knows that (especially on the internet), the more known brand gets credit for being the original, like Band-Aids and other adhesive bandages.

Level 17
I know the whole, "nothing is truly original" idea. My heart just got smashed to pieces when half of what made a portion of my map stand out is created as part of another, more popular map, because the logical side of me knows that (especially on the internet), the more known brand gets credit for being the original, like Band-Aids and other adhesive bandages.

If it is your idea, we apologize, but I can guarantee that we did not steal the idea from you, or any Hive Chat conversation. My team just happened to have brainstormed the same idea.

Level 5
If it is your idea, we apologize, but I can guarantee that we did not steal the idea from you, or any Hive Chat conversation. My team just happened to have brainstormed the same idea.

Do not apologize Wolfe.

Ubran, I spent like 1 hour chatting to think of this idea, If it is yours, go cry somewhere else :S

I never steal ideas, I dont need to do it, and if this was something I had acquired from you, I would SAY IT

Level 12

It wasn't your "original" idea in the first place. I've seen a lot of MMORPGs use this spell system, and I find it to fit this project perfectly.

Level 6
A (very) small content update from a snowy and cold Sweden!

I've finished my special cut-scene library, so you guys can expect some terribad quest-update cinematics. These cut scenes are not skip-able, on the other hand they last around 10 seconds and consists of pure action: no talk, no bulls**t :D

On a side note; that secret golem boss I told you about a few pages back might not make it into the demo.

Also, it seems like ubran has realized that we didn't steal his idea of the chat (or anywhere else if that matters). So could we stop this topic, please.

With that, I'll return to the blistering snowlands and continue coding.

Last edited:
Level 17
No other comments on the Shade? *sob*

I am currently drawing concept art for one other Post Demo class, and working on a backstory for the Pre Demo class - the Warrior - which will be up by tomorrow (hopefully). I'll try and have some screenshots of Warrior abilities, but no promises. =P

Level 9
I'm not 100% familiar with this (the map in general) yet, still reading, but the Shade's attack mechanics could be meshed into some type of Combo-move system (stuns, criticals, etc), and further be affected by Conditions (if I am using them in the correct context). Feel free to expand off of this as a general concept or... build off of the idea.

Level 17
Profession
The Warrior
“THE FIRES OF WAR RAGE CONSTANTLY, AND IT IS WE WHO ARE BURNT BY THE FLAMES.”

"For years now, the Imperial Crown waged a bloody guerrilla war against the southern kingdoms of Tahij and Gomar. I did not pay attention to such tensions, for this war is merely the result of the emperor’s imperialistic views and greed. However, in recent times, the war intensified and a close friend of mine died. As quick as any imperial steed could take me, I left for the south.

Upon arriving in the Gomari capital, Naraius, I was welcomed by the city’s Mother Priestess and lead to field of empty, golden homes. Lavender and rose wafted in the air, tickling my senses, as I observed the homes. Each house was small and rectangular, built from sandy granite. Above each doorway was a different symbol, and amongst the small shelters I saw, I determined that this expanse of abandoned homes were graves of fallen citizens of the entire kingdom. We proceeded into one of the homes, above the doorway of my friend’s grave were a white shield, and from it sprouted two ascending wings.

The Mother Priestess smiled at me as I entered, and only a meter or so away was a human-sized sarcophagus. I gazed at its lid, and it depicted some sort of animal holding a crystal orb. I looked at the woman next to me, and proceeded in asking, “How did he die?”

“Gaze into the ball, and you shall find out.”

Therefore, I did.

My eyes peered into the small, round globe and the world around me become nothing but sand. Rolling dunes of skull-white sand were scattered all around me, and I felt the burden of the Sun’s heat. The sky was a cloudless blue, and there was only a brief, warm breeze that whispered through the desolation. I was not remotely present in the scene, but it felt as if I was. I could feel my body digging into the sand and hear the distant footfalls of a bitter soldier. Limping through the sands was a muscular man, clad in silver and gold, with baggy brown trousers. Strapped to his back was a large, oddly shaped shield and tucked behind a cloth sash were to swords. This man, my friend, was a Scarab Knight of Gomar, a guardian of the Scarabbi Codex and the people of the desert kingdom.

Suddenly, the sands began to quake violently. The earth near the warrior fell through the surface of the desert, plummeting into the void. The sands shifted, eager to fill the deep hole, falling into it like graceful waterfalls. Within a matter of seconds, a winged lion emerged from the depths. The lion was as black as the night, with large red eyes. Its wings were charred and its fur dirtied by ash and rock. The beast flexed its wings, unleashing a torrent of falling ash, and roared. Not phased by the sudden emergence of this beast, the knight slowly withdrew his longswords. From the depths of his throat came a thunderous war cry that echoed for miles in the empty, sandy landscape. Both beast and warrior clashed violently.

The lion pounced, mouth wide open, guided by his blackened wings, upon the man. Two blades ripped into the beasts throat and then withdrew, causing the winged monster to cry and stagger backwards. Blood flowed like slow-moving lava from its atrocious maw. My eyes seemed to move away, revealing the full scene of battle. To the left was the beast and to the right was the warrior, who had composed himself. Another breeze wafted through the land as the Gomari Knight sheathed one blade. The beast charged, and within seconds, the knight turned, legs bent, as the beast collided into his shield, causing it to once more lumber backwards. The warrior's shield was now in his hands, paired with his ornate longsword.

The two clashed once more in a flurry of fang, tooth and blade. Paws slammed, shields clashed, sword met flesh. I could not see much in the mess, only blood. It came in spurts, and once the battle had concluded, the sight was bloody. Half-sunk in the skull-white sands was the beast, its red eyes now white and its body limp. Only a short distance away was the warrior, limping away. I did not understand how my friend could die from such an ordeal - until I saw the blood. In his shoulder, a blotch of blood stained his armor, until the warrior finally collapsed. And then, I returned to the presence of the Mother Priestess and frowned as she left.

Role Melee Damage & Tank
Primary Stats Agility, Strength
Weapon Proficiencies
Armour Type
Swords, Bows, Axes, Shields, Maces, Daggers
Heavy

I'd just like to clarify that Warriors have no specializations, or an official mechanic, because the Warrior class will not make it to the Post Demo phase. An extreme modification of the concept will, however, be present.
In another three days, I will be announcing a Post Demo contest for all of you eager fans. The contest will be about creating our seventh and potentially final class for the Post Demo phase of development.

For further teasing of your senses, gaze upon our art and terrain (courtesy of Oziris).

Until then,

Wolfe

Last edited:
Level 5
In the Contest we will draw the seventh Class???? Count me in The Contest :)

Last edited:
Level 6
Okay a big fix on the Cutscene library has been made!
The cut-scenes will still look a bit terrible, but a lot less funky than they used to look x)

Going to update later with some screen shots :)

3 of 5 prequel quests are now fully complete!
Well, all are complete but not that cool to do..

Also, a note on the seventh class contest: Go crazy with your imagination - I'll be able to code nearly anything as long as it doesn't involve: destroying the world or causing terrain deformations. A bunch of other regulations will also apply, but those I've stated are the ones you should worry about!

Examples of what you can include in your spells are: Condition modifiers, attack-based abilities, projectile reflecting, threat migration, jumping, gattling-gun, stealth. BE CREATIVE! :D

Level 17
I will give all details in one post tonight, and that is when the contest will start. You will be designing your class with the use of words, as well as providing mechanics, a role, various playstyles, specializations and sample spells/abilities. If you wish, you may draw the class, however Oziris will re-draw it.

Level 17
Hello everybody. I've decided to cancel the Seventh Class Design Contest as I would rather have it when all Post Demo classes have been announced.

Anyway, screenshots for you all!

Adjustable_Fog1.jpg

Adjustable_Fog21.jpg

Shadows of Everwood ORPG's camera system is third-person, but it is tailored to suit the needs of all players. In these screenshots, you are introduced to the -camera lag command, which brings fog back and forth, adjusting it to your needs. Doing this will greatly increase or decrease your lag, depending on your computer. The first screenshot is -camera lag 1, the second is -camera lag 6.

Assassination1.jpg

Imperial Crown players begin as members of a traveling merchant cartel seized by the White Lion Army of Vinosca. Depicted here is a part of the very first quest, "Setting It Straight" in which players are to simply find Captain Lars (who is, as depicted, assassinated).

Sandwatchers1.jpg

Sandwatchers21.jpg

Furthermore, the assassin disappears, and has raised the alarm. You must engage the White Lion Sandwatcher en masse as they attempt to avenge their fallen captain.

Level 2
oooo... OMG, everytime I come here, is something new! I can't wait till I can play it! :infl_thumbs_up: Screenshots are really amazing and the work is really great.. i am pretty sure, this will be better then TBR and TKOK... I am really looking foward to see these models of classes xD yay! and Oziris these art of classes are amazing!!! :) I like that 4th art (assasin I guess) most :vw_love:
Offtopic: I wish I could do something, but I am totally noob in these things, but I am learning with time :). Right now I can do icons, 2D skinning (but not professional, amateur still). xD So I can be just your fan :D

Level 17
God... the terrain is amazing for yet another (sorry) 3rd person map for WC3.

Sorry if it's stated somewheres, but how big exactly is the map? To be more specific, how many towns and regions will there be according to the scale of the map? (if that makes any sense)

The map scale is 480x480, however we've divided the map into four main regions - in each region, there is one major town, the biggest being Kravengarde, which is located in the demo. To further elaborate, Kravengarde is the capital city of the whole map, so higher levels will also find themselves there picking up quests and buying expensive armor/weapons. To specify, there are four major towns, four dungeons, four regions and an unknown amount of event quests. ^.^

Marsal2000 said:
feels like an mmorpg ~.~
Is that such a bad thing?

To you, Kleera, we are currently not looking for anyone else, but we appreciate your interest!

Level 9
Wolfe said:
find themselves there picking up quests and buying expensive armor/weapons.

How many quests will there be? Will there be chains (quests leading to more than 1 quest or quests unlocking other quests or... of that sort)?

Also, will quests be saved completed or will they be repeatable? Or.. are you even ganna have some saved and some repeatable?

Questions!

Level 17
There will be four kinds of quests, which will be elaborated on later, but the main chain quest of the game is Story Quests which follow the main storyline and link together each chapter.

The latter, Xeno. Story Quests are not repeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.