• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Tbh, this whole thread is kinda sad in one way or another. Seeing how people still want the game that, we can now safely say, we know isn't gonna happen, ever.

And after the whole Refunded fiasco, we can basically confirm our suspicion that it's never gonna happen, not that any of us were thinking it was likely to happen even before Refunded. And WoW BfA being a failure certainly isn't gonna help either.

To top it all off, RTS is (sadly :() pretty much a dead genre, so if Blizzard ever decides to do another RTS, which seems really unlikely in a long long time, chances that it's gonna be Starcraft 3: Warcraft 4 are something like 10:1.
I think they can do a new game based in something like total war franchise. It's like an evolved version of Nobunaga's Ambition mixed with cinematic strategic battles. They did a Warhammer version, so I think a warcraft or even Starcraft version should be amazing too. I'm sure there should be some mods already for the current game versions since Medieval II total war.
RTS are not "dead"propertly. But the formula is outdated in several ways.Fire emblem was dead too and reborn from it's ashes with gloripus games to Nintendo Switch and N3DS. However, if warcraft don't evolve they will lose customers and that's a fact. Blizzard will still milking WoW till it becomes econonomicaly inviable but with China paying for it I have my doubt it will die soon.
Personaly I hated what they did with Calia (turn her into a "forsaken" just to don't move the forsaken from their starting zone). WoW best expansion was Cataclysm because they changed ALL the world and the starting zone events. That was a true expansion in my personal point of view but well... let's see... the last good expansion was Legion because they killed a lot of old characters and past the crown to Anduin and that was amazing... Illidan and the demon hunters, traveling to argus and defeat Sargeras. For me WoW ended there. Now the plot about the old gods and the upside down from Stranger Things.... oh boy... I have my doubts..

I
Azeroth is a god not a dragon as far as I am aware. The Dragons were just a blessed race of monsters gifted power by other gods (not Azeroth) to help protect Azeroth during development. Azeroth is meant to be in an immature state and so incapable of direct intervention, which is why it is up to the heroes of WoW to fight instead against the many threats. Any Void Lord touched being would be capable of permanently corrupting Azeroth upon contact with her core, which is why the Old Gods posed such a threat despite being weak compared to their creators.

Due to the corruption of Death Wing and the resulting events the dragon flight was forced to give away most of their gifted divine power. This has left them in a state of limbo where lore wise there is no detail as to what they are mostly doing and what is happening to them. This was likely done for gameplay reasons to prevent players becoming to attached to them and starting to think about every Dragon they killed in WoW being a sentient being with little to no malice which would make the "heroes" the evil. Honestly they really should have been turned into a playable race in WoW, after all one can play as anthromorphic Pandas and Dogs so why not Dragons?

I'm agree. Dragonkind should be a playable race. Also ogres. Now we have "sub races" from trolls and helf... why not Ogres and dragons instead the gremblins? Even the idea of play an bicefal ogre with two players like you can do in HotS is an amazing idea (the first player in will take the active head and full control of the body till the player 2 log in, then the player 2 cast the spells and you attack melee and move).

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
'Reforged' rhymes with 'Four'; this means they are announcing Warcraft IV soon.
They have already given us a hint.
EDIT:
I have also decoded more messages from Reforged regarding Warcraft 4 if you want them then feel free to ask me.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
'Reforged' rhymes with 'Four'; this means they are announcing Warcraft IV soon.
Not really, it rhymes with gorged, surged etc.
I have also decoded more messages from Reforged regarding Warcraft 4 if you want them then feel free to ask me.
Why waste a post without already writing them?

Level 7
Even if Warcraft 4 were to happen... after the debacle that is Warcraft 3: Reforged and the irrefutable, undeniable proof that Activision is now calling the shots at Blizzard, why in the name of all that is holy would we even WANT a fourth entry in the series??! We should already know it'll be nothing but garbage under this regime.

Level 11
Even if Warcraft 4 were to happen... after the debacle that is Warcraft 3: Reforged and the irrefutable, undeniable proof that Activision is now calling the shots at Blizzard, why in the name of all that is holy would we even WANT a fourth entry in the series??! We should already know it'll be nothing but garbage under this regime.
Agreed. ActiBlizz showed complete and utter neglect and uncaring towards the game and the community (despite claiming to care very much for both). More than that, in Usual-for-AAA-Style, they insulted the fans and shook off any responsibility for this failure.

Blizzard doesn't care, they abandoned WC3 and any potential sequels. Plain and simple.

And it's a good thing. They'd end up making another failure.

Level 7
They should just stop calling themselves Blizzard at this point. It's just Activision now. Hell, I can't be the only person who noticed that one year Mike Morhaime was the CEO of Blizzard Entertainment and then the next year he was just the President of Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard doesn't have a CEO anymore, that means it's no longer independent. Activision's dug its claws in deeper, and Reforged is the ultimate result of that.

Level 11
They should just stop calling themselves Blizzard at this point. It's just Activision now. Hell, I can't be the only person who noticed that one year Mike Morhaime was the CEO of Blizzard Entertainment and then the next year he was just the President of Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard doesn't have a CEO anymore, that means it's no longer independent. Activision's dug its claws in deeper, and Reforged is the ultimate result of that.
I am not entirely even sure it matters. Even if Blizzard remained just that, it probably would have succumbed to this anyways. Seemingly this happens with most large Video Game companies.

Look at Tale Worlds. They were a small indie dev crew, and created M&B - a Sandbox game that was just awesome. They even announced a sequel. But after getting their millions, they got lazy and it took them 10 years to release a buggy demo for a sequel... And they are being dishonest, and not communicating just like Blizz.

Look at Naughty Dog. Made some decent games before, games that were beloved by fans, but recently has adopted EA's style of abusing their fans, and actually doubling down on that. On top of releasing a completely underwhelming game with terrible story.

The Golden Days of gaming were when Video Games weren't such a big industry, and they were being made by few, small, but very dedicated developer companies.

Level 7
I am not entirely even sure it matters. Even if Blizzard remained just that, it probably would have succumbed to this anyways. Seemingly this happens with most large Video Game companies.

Look at Tale Worlds. They were a small indie dev crew, and created M&B - a Sandbox game that was just awesome. They even announced a sequel. But after getting their millions, they got lazy and it took them 10 years to release a buggy demo for a sequel... And they are being dishonest, and not communicating just like Blizz.

Look at Naughty Dog. Made some decent games before, games that were beloved by fans, but recently has adopted EA's style of abusing their fans, and actually doubling down on that. On top of releasing a completely underwhelming game with terrible story.

The Golden Days of gaming were when Video Games weren't such a big industry, and they were being made by few, small, but very dedicated developer companies.

It sucks, because those Golden Days of gaming are how these companies became so big in the first place. You'd think the best way for them to continue to grow would be to keep doing things the way they did originally.

Warcraft 4 is consists of four campaigns.

1. Fury of the Alliance (Human Campaign): Command the forces of Stormwind and lead Varian to ultimate victory.

2. Dawn of the Forsaken (Undead Campaign): Defeat the Scourge and the Lich King and bring ultimate power to the Dark Lady.

3. Revenge of the Horde (Orc Campaign): Restore the honor of the Horde and command the Warchief Thrall to bring peace to his race.

4. Legacy of the Sentinels (Night Elf Campaign): Protect Ashenvale and beyond from invaders.

I think WC4 has four main characters in the campaign; Varian, Sylvanas, Thrall and Tyrande.

Level 11
Warcraft 4 is consists of four campaigns.

1. Fury of the Alliance (Human Campaign): Command the forces of Stormwind and lead Varian to ultimate victory.

2. Dawn of the Forsaken (Undead Campaign): Defeat the Scourge and the Lich King and bring ultimate power to the Dark Lady.

3. Revenge of the Horde (Orc Campaign): Restore the honor of the Horde and command the Warchief Thrall to bring peace to his race.

4. Legacy of the Sentinels (Night Elf Campaign): Protect Ashenvale and beyond from invaders.

I think WC4 has four main characters in the campaign; Varian, Sylvanas, Thrall and Tyrande.
1. Was Varian even a thing before the mmo-that-shall-not-be-named fanfic'ed him into existence?

2. Why not the opposite? "Down with the Pests" (Undead Campaign): Arthas gets rid of this annoyance called Sylvanas.
Or maybe let's go for a more realistic (lore-wise) option? Once Arthas merges with Ner'Zhul and regains his power, Sylvanas and the rest of the "Forsaken" are taken back under Lich King's command.

3. Revenge against what, exactly? End of Warcraft III had humans and orcs at least on truce terms, if not friendly.

4. Protect Ashenvale against what invaders? End of Warcraft III had orcs and humans both become allied with Night Elves.

Level 4
I don't think Warcraft 4 would happen, I would like for it to happen but, that would ruin the WoW storyline and all, I mean, what story would warcraft 4 have and how would it look? Blizzard already disappointed us with reforged, I would really like to see a new story with the cinematics and all the UIs and all the promised features from reforged but I don't think it would happend sadly

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
I don't think Warcraft 4 would happen, I would like for it to happen but, that would ruin the WoW storyline and all, I mean, what story would warcraft 4 have and how would it look? Blizzard already disappointed us with reforged, I would really like to see a new story with the cinematics and all the UIs and all the promised features from reforged but I don't think it would happend sadly
since it definitely would be about the Fourth War I assume it would start at Varian declaring war in the Undercity

Level 11
The best way to approach to WC4 is a paralel universe to WoW that link both games (you can unlock features playing WoW for WC4 or viceversa). WC4 should explorate a new world with dark magic like the neatherworld (where Draenor fragments remains).
I agree about a parallel world idea, but WC4 should not explore a new world. Shadowlands is already a mess in terms of story telling, continuity and gameplay. The way I see it, WC4 should continue where WC3:TFT left off - Illidan dead or missing, entire northern Eastern Kingdoms crawling with undead, Quel'thalas still in ruins (with Kael still in Outland and Blood elf leftovers trying to reclaim their former lands), and of course, the Lich King rising again, more powerful than ever before, Sylvanas and Forsaken back under LK's control.

Warcraft 4 Needs to TOTALLY Reinvent Warcraft. Since WoW has basically run the current storyline into the ground, I think it'd be best if Blizzard put WC4 to happen before the sundering. This would allow it to have plenty of content to work with and a world we already know but much to explore, and little to compete with WoW over. WoW could continue on with the current storyline, and Warcraft RTS could start fresh from something in the past it's barely touched.

There are even several storylines to explore here such as the Zandalari Troll Wars with the Pandaren, the war between the Elemental Lords, the Old Gods vs the Titans, and of course a live RTS retelling of The Sundering itself - a story we already know but I think many players would be happy to explore in RTS form.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Warcraft 4 Needs to TOTALLY Reinvent Warcraft. Since WoW has basically run the current storyline into the ground, I think it'd be best if Blizzard put WC4 to happen before the sundering. This would allow it to have plenty of content to work with and a world we already know but much to explore, and little to compete with WoW over. WoW could continue on with the current storyline, and Warcraft RTS could start fresh from something in the past it's barely touched.

There are even several storylines to explore here such as the Zandalari Troll Wars with the Pandaren, the war between the Elemental Lords, the Old Gods vs the Titans, and of course a live RTS retelling of The Sundering itself - a story we already know but I think many players would be happy to explore in RTS form.
That won't work. I mean it won't really be Warcraft without humans and orcs. That's what Warcraft mainly is/was.
I'd like such a game but I fear it won't be proper to name it IV or any number but Warcraft: [something here].
They could always make a Warcraft IV right before the first WoW though.

Level 2
I would have played Warcraft 4, even if it had the same story line as WOW as long as they dont change the playstyle and unit looks too much. What i like the most in this game is lore and graphics. The story is great and graphics are very eye friendly. Though there are game with more realistic graphics, I prefer this look. I tried many games in my life but i keep returning to play 2 games again and again. One of the is warcraft, the other is Heroes of Might and Magic.

Level 1
I would have played Warcraft 4, even if it had the same story line as WOW as long as they dont change the playstyle and unit looks too much. What i like the most in this game is lore and graphics. The story is great and graphics are very eye friendly. Though there are game with more realistic graphics, I prefer this look. I tried many games in my life but i keep returning to play 2 games again and again. One of the is warcraft, the other is Heroes of Might and Magic.
Fingers still crossed for a WC4 at some point!

Level 4
Reforged's reputation really does not have me optimistic for a Warcraft IV, but I would absolutely love if they would release incremental Warcraft III style sequels based on different parts of WoW's lore.

Level 5
Considering WoW Vanilla takes place 4 years after the third war, with the treaty of peace between the Alliance and the Horde flushing down into the pits of unrest and hostilities, i think Warcraft IV could potentially base its plot in the cycle of hatred period, narrating the fallout between both sides that led to the events of World of Warcraft.

That, or Blizz reinvent a whole new plot that distinguishes warcraft IV's identity from the rest of WoW, which i am not entirely sure what it may be.

I would however, be on an absolute serotonin fuel if they have a gameplay much similar to Armies of Azeroth (credits to Wtii.) mod, rather then the disastrous, Chernobyl fueled abomination known as Reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That, or Blizz reinvent a whole new plot that distinguishes warcraft IV's identity from the rest of WoW, which i am not entirely sure what it may be.
Hell no. If Warcraft gets rehashed like they do with "soft reboots" nowadays and fill it with political "correctness", the franchise is done.

Level 13
Lmao!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣
It looks like basically all the Starcraft II team is there, even some W3R devs, and even Jesse Mcree, fired from Blizzard like what, a month ago.

Level 7
I'm afraid Blizzard is dead and Warcraft IV will never see the light...
We can only trust FrostGiant Studios to make a good RTS that can "replace" Warcraft.

If you want to know more info about FrostGiant Studios and their new RTS you should check their Reddit. They usually post pretty interesting discussions and thoughts over there: overview for FrostGiant_Studios

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'm afraid Blizzard is dead and Warcraft IV will never see the light...
Perhaps, it's time to move on to other games. Nothing lasts forever and what's too much is too much. The story of Warcraft has been told.
Anyways, as a modding community, mainly, we mostly care about creating stuff in editors and such, I guess.

Level 2
I think Warcraft 4 is alot to ask but you could edit warcraft 3 to be focused around competitive team based gameplay instead of 1v1 meta. I really want to discuss my idea but dont know where to begin. The problem with warcraft 3 is that the community is split into 3 sections, custom games;4v4;1v1. If you made a map that tailored to all 3 you could get a competitive following while giving Blizzard an easy product to produce and with the restraints on the wc3 LUA copy rights all you can ask for is a new game. I have the idea its just expressing it in a long post or video. I have the concept its just I cant begin the movement myself.

Level 2
This topic started on 2008, now 2022 just started and I truly still have hope.

I think Warcraft 4 is alot to ask but you could edit warcraft 3 to be focused around competitive team based gameplay instead of 1v1 meta. I really want to discuss my idea but dont know where to begin. The problem with warcraft 3 is that the community is split into 3 sections, custom games;4v4;1v1. If you made a map that tailored to all 3 you could get a competitive following while giving Blizzard an easy product to produce and with the restraints on the wc3 LUA copy rights all you can ask for is a new game. I have the idea its just expressing it in a long post or video. I have the concept its just I cant begin the movement myself.
You just talk about competitive, but lots of us (I think) we would be happy just with a few improvements on online and a new storyline of campaing. I think that what make the most of us love the game at first saw was the campaing.

Level 5
With Microsoft taking over Blizzard there might be a Warcraft IV in the future.
I would very much appreciate it if the Warcraft Story goes in a different direction from Frozen Throne on and Warcraft IV starts where Arthas became the Lich King. World of Warcraft Lore wasn't bad but now with Shadow Lands it totally went downhill.

That won't work. I mean it won't really be Warcraft without humans and orcs. That's what Warcraft mainly is/was.
I'd like such a game but I fear it won't be proper to name it IV or any number but Warcraft: [something here].
They could always make a Warcraft IV right before the first WoW though.
Disagree there are many ancient races of Warcraft lore, that could give a fresh spin to the franchise. I imagine these being:

Zandalari Trolls - More fragile orcs but with Regeneration, giant beasts, and strong spell casters
Pandaren - An agrarian version of human, that is heavily focused on building farms and walls, with strong worker units to defend towns
Demons - A race similar to undead, but must build demonic waygates to expand (similar to Protoss)
Night Elfs - Similar to the current ones but with a stronger group of spell casters, and pompous but powerful heroes - the Highbourne

Elementals - (Potential 5th race or creep)
Old Golds - (Potential 6th race or creep)

Yes, there would be no humans or orcs at least in their modern form, but there were Vyrkul at this time, which were in a sense proto-humans. They could easily add an expansion that further tells the story of the Vrykul, how they left Northrend and arrived in Lordaeron and the Broken Isles, and then later turned into humans. They could even go further and re-tell the founding of Stromgarde and the troll wars with Humans.

There's also a potential to expand the story of very well-known popular warcraft characters, like Illidan, Tyrande, and Azshara without having to retcon much of the lore. Since it already has a satisfying beginning and end (unlike what happened with Shadowlands). I think the biggest issue though is that Blizz and really the whole gaming industry is convinced that RTS just isn't profitable enough anymore to make any new games. Which is a shame and we would have to change.

When I think of a game that infused past & present really well, I think of Pokemon Heart Gold & Silver, which reimagined the whole Johto region, and after defeating it gave players the ability to replay the whole Kanto again. It was one of the best-received pokemon games, even though it told two stories everyone already knew.

Last edited:
Level 20
It won't be the real Warcraft so to speak.
I imagine diehard Warcraft 1 or 2 fans said exactly the same when Warcraft 3 races and lore additions were announced :)

On a more serious note - I agree that Warcraft IV without Orcs and Humans would feel weird and should probably be released under some other title, but then - if the game had these two races, any other additions would be perfectly acceptable, including races introduced in the WoW era. I don't see why it wouldn't work (after all, W3 introduced 2 new playable races and it was fine) or how it would make such Warcraft 4 any less a Warcraft 3 successor.

Speaking of which... Look, I concur that the Shadowlands story is a steaming pile of shite and that WoW writing from day 1 was... uhm, very hit and miss, but I also think some people are unfairly biased against WoW lore, i.e. they don't like WoW, so they assume that anything that came from WoW is bad. That's not true. Some parts of WoW lore or story are bad, but some concepts and ideas are really cool and could work well in Warcraft 4.

That is - if the writing team was competent enough to pick the cool ideas and discard all the bad ones, which, sadly, I don't think Blizzard writers are.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I imagine diehard Warcraft 1 or 2 fans said exactly the same when Warcraft 3 races and lore additions were announced
Needless to remind that Warcraft III has Orcs and Humans and the story pretty much revolves around the Orcs and Humans (if you still consider Medivh that). Even the main character of the Undead is still Arthas, ha.
That is - if the writing team was competent enough to pick the cool ideas and discard all the bad ones, which, sadly, I don't think Blizzard writers are.
I'm not against properly expanding the Warcraft universe, but PROPERLY. WoW's an amalgam of incoherence, like Final Fantasy mixed with Warhammer and more.

Level 20
Needless to remind that Warcraft III has Orcs and Humans and the story pretty much revolves around the Orcs and Humans (if you still consider Medivh that).
While that is correct, the previous games were centered around Orcs vs Humans and Warcraft III has very little of that and even goes as far as to have Orcs and Humans working together - one could say that it's a pretty huge departure from the original formula too.

Status
Not open for further replies.