• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NEW LEADERSHIP AT BLIZZARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
It bothers me a lot that you seem more concerned about whether or not the people upset are hypocrites than if the company is corrupt.
When I cannot go anywhere on the internet without seeing this topic blown out of proportion, yes I get tired of it.
OBVIOUSLY their behavior is complete shit, but people are acting like this is the only corrupt company in 50 years and it's a complete scandal without compare.

Yes they are undoubtetbly corrupt and in other equally shocking news the sky is blue.

Level 18
When I cannot go anywhere on the internet without seeing this topic blown out of proportion, yes I get tired of it.
OBVIOUSLY their behavior is complete shit, but people are acting like this is the only corrupt company in 50 years and it's a complete scandal without compare.

Yes they are undoubtetbly corrupt and in other equally shocking news the sky is blue.
I haven't seen anyone call it "the worst scandal in 50 years." Or even that it's "without compare." Similar things have happened, yes. But they're always bad and never acceptable. I think you're jumping to conclusions in this case. I don't mean to be rude about it, though.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
People are not saying that, but they are acting like it.
Not on this site to be clear, there have been blizzard hate long before, completely unrelated to this.

I am talking about the wider gaming audience.

As I mentioned before, riot games had a similar fuckup not long ago. TWICE.
(no these are not the ONLY articles about the subject, easy to google if you want another source)
Riot Games investigating its CEO over sexual harassment lawsuit 2021
Inside The Culture Of Sexism At Riot Games 2018

It has some other similarities too.

Yet, I don't see their CEO being fired. It's not rocket science, it's not completely objective but that seems to indicate that the uproar is bigger.
I don't remember, nor could I find anything about their dev teams stopping to work. (WoW team is/was not active, I am not sure if they are working again but they stopped for a while at least)
Additionally, there still seems to be pretty big dreams for Riot's in development MMO so there is not exactly a boycott.

With that in mind, yes, to me it seems like people are treating this like a bigger scandal than it is.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
FF14 is developed by a Japanese company, Japanese work culture is most likely worse than whatever Blizzard employees are upset about.
You know it's bad when your language has a word for working yourself to death.
Not saying that makes it okay, I am saying you are just supporting another soulless company in that case.
Evidence, Mr. Hypothesis.

Level 18
Really? Because I have no idea what the hell you're trying to get at. It seems like you're trying to nitpick semantics as a cheap way to make yourself look smart without any real goal or purpose.
your entire paragraph is based off your "it took them 5 months to complete a level" I'm still waiting for you to directly quote me your source for that statement, that says "5 months", go ahead I'm waiting. if you can't bring your source for that statement, again, not modified to fit your agenda, then stop posting, you're embarrassed yourself enough.

Level 9
Blizzard said:

To all members of the Blizzard Community,

We want to let you know about an important leadership change at Blizzard Entertainment.

Starting today, J. Allen Brack will be stepping down as the leader of the studio, and Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will co-lead Blizzard moving forward.

Jen joined Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, where she’s been providing senior development leadership and support to the Diablo and Overwatch franchises. Jen is the former head of Vicarious Visions (which is now part of Blizzard Entertainment).

After many years at XBOX, Mike joined the company in 2019 as the executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, where he’s been overseeing the evolution of Battle.net and our development services organization.

Jen and Mike have more than three decades of gaming industry experience between them. Moving forward, they will share responsibilities over game development and company operations.

Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; to the work ahead to ensure Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background; to upholding and reinforcing our values; and to rebuilding your trust. With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion, and a dedication to excellence. You’ll hear more from Jen and Mike soon.

The following is a message from J. Allen Brack:

“I am confident that Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will provide the leadership Blizzard needs to realize its full potential and will accelerate the pace of change. I anticipate they will do so with passion and enthusiasm and that they can be trusted to lead with the highest levels of integrity and commitment to the components of our culture that make Blizzard so special.”
Finally, thank you all for being a part of the Blizzard community, and for your passion and determination for safety and equality for all.
So nothing will change this is just the "show" nothing underneath will change so nothing fundamental will change still waiting for them to fix wc3.

Level 39

FF14 is developed by a Japanese company, Japanese work culture is most likely worse than whatever Blizzard employees are upset about.

Amazon owns New Word, a quick google search on Amazon work conditions ought to enlighten you.

I think there's a difference between working employees too hard and allowing/fostering a work environment where an employee is bullied so much that she kills herself. Neither one is okay, but to make them seem equivalent is doing the victim a disservice.

This is not even mentioning the fact that you're making a somewhat generalizing statement about Japanese companies. Without any insight into the company developing FF14, you can't really accuse them of working their employees to death.

Last edited:
Level 34
your entire paragraph is based off your "it took them 5 months to complete a level" I'm still waiting for you to directly quote me your source for that statement, that says "5 months", go ahead I'm waiting. if you can't bring your source for that statement, again, not modified to fit your agenda, then stop posting, you're embarrassed yourself enough.

"But behind the scenes, things weren’t going well. Members of the team began worrying that they had promised more than they could deliver. Remastering Warcraft III was more complicated than their previous remake, StarCraft, thanks to its three-dimensional models. The team was small, the production was disorganized and the amount of work in front of them was daunting. It had taken months to revamp one of Warcraft III’s levels; now they would have to do the same for dozens more."

So, more than 1 month, less than 13 months X'D

Level 18

"But behind the scenes, things weren’t going well. Members of the team began worrying that they had promised more than they could deliver. Remastering Warcraft III was more complicated than their previous remake, StarCraft, thanks to its three-dimensional models. The team was small, the production was disorganized and the amount of work in front of them was daunting. It had taken months to revamp one of Warcraft III’s levels; now they would have to do the same for dozens more."

So, more than 1 month, less than 13 months X'D
it says "months" not 5 months, and again, Kam who worked at Blizzard (In fact, he was the one who had done the blizzcon demo) said they gave him 6 weeks to do it, which is by no means "5 months", so that guy is speaking out of his ass.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I agree with the sentiment that this means nothing and is all just PR bullshit but I'll always be a little bit hopeful that things will get better, as naive as that may be. I mean can a brotha get an itty bitty patch, just a little one addressing a few desyncs/bugs. I just want the new toys to work properly :(

Level 18
it says "months" not 5 months, and again, Kam who worked at Blizzard (In fact, he was the one who had done the blizzcon demo) said they gave him 6 weeks to do it, which is by no means "5 months", so that guy is speaking out of his ass.
You realize the game was in development before Kam came on, right? The mission that took months to revamp probably came before he showed up, and was probably the reason they gave him such a short deadline.

I don't know why you're so desperate to defend the honor of a company that clearly has none, but arguing about semantics and unimportant details is a waste of our time and an insult to our intelligence. Nothing changes the facts of the case, that Blizzard fucked up royally and admitted the game was a disaster in their own internal report.

Last edited:
Level 18
You realize the game was in development before Kam came on, right? The mission that took months to revamp probably came before he showed up, and was probably the reason they gave him such a short deadline.

I don't know why you're so desperate to defend the honor of a company that clearly has none, but arguing about semantics and unimportant details is a waste of our time and an insult to our intelligence. Nothing changes the facts of the case, that Blizzard fucked up royally and admitted the game was a disaster in their own internal report.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about, you come to this thread and start spouting random numbers as if you knew actually anything, all you did was read a bloomberg article where in addition to stuff in there which might be inaccurate bloomberg itself might've misinterpreted things.

I'll rather believe the person who actually worked on the game than some random guy who already proved that he has no idea what he's talking about.

And I'm not defending reforged, to me it was garbage, nearly everything but the added functions to the editor was pointless and garbage, but there's a difference from there to blatantly lying about things that you have no idea about, way to prove that you're clueless and your feedback shouldn't be taken seriously.

Level 18
You literally have no idea what you're talking about, you come to this thread and start spouting random numbers as if you knew actually anything, all you did was read a bloomberg article where in addition to stuff in there which might be inaccurate bloomberg itself might've misinterpreted things.

I'll rather believe the person who actually worked on the game than some random guy who already proved that he has no idea what he's talking about.
Wow, talk about pretentious. You think everything you say and believe is 100% right and anyone who says or thinks different is "lying." It's clear to everyone except you that you're angry other people don't share your opinions and beliefs. The fact that you're trying to say Bloomberg is wrong now really cements the fact that you'll discount anything you don't want to hear.

There's no point talking to you. You won't accept anything except "I agree, oh master!" so just keep doing that and see how successful it is.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Evidence, Mr. Hypothesis.
About which part? that japanese work culture is a thing overall?
That the word exists?
I think there's a difference between working employees too hard and allowing/fostering a work environment where an employee is bullied so much that she kills herself. Neither one is okay, but to make them seem equivalent is doing the victim a disservice.

This is not even mentioning the fact that you're making a somewhat generalizing statement about Japanese companies. Without any insight into the company developing FF14, you can't really accuse them of working their employees to death.
I am not trying to say that one is worse than the other, you can argue over which poison is worse but it's still poison.
I do however admit that I am generalizing and it is certainly possible that their company is the exception.
However, I am pessimistic and expect the worst here. Happy to be wrong in his assumtion.

Level 23
About which part? that japanese work culture is a thing overall?
That the word exists?

I am not trying to say that one is worse than the other, you can argue over which poison is worse but it's still poison.
I do however admit that I am generalizing and it is certainly possible that their company is the exception.
However, I am pessimistic and expect the worst here. Happy to be wrong in his assumtion.
You can just say there is no 'ethical' form of consumption under the current economic system. There will always be some form of exploitation.

Level 18
You can just say there is no 'ethical' form of consumption under the current economic system. There will always be some form of exploitation.
I don't agree. I think companies can have standards that are perfectly acceptable and humane. Yes, many companies fall short of that standard. It's bad every time it happens, but nobody is a "hypocrite" for complaining about one instance. You also have to keep in mind that work conditions in this case were so uniquely bad that the state government had to step in and file a lawsuit because of how out of control it got.

The video game industry needs major reforms in a broad, sweeping way. But spouting whataboutisms and trying to shame people for talking about a particular instance of corruption instead of all of it at once is reductive, pointless and helps no one.

Level 7
i've nothing to add. the drum i was beating about activision blizzard for as long as i did, now beats itself, most comments in here are skeptical of the company, and i doubt new leadership will change anything. remember, the real leadership, comes from the top, and not from somewhere below the top, aka from activision and not from the blizzard ceo.

Level 39
True, but if one is worse than the other then I think it's fair that you leave one for the other. I get your point that you can never make the 100% ethical choice, but you can choose what violations you're willing to accept. I think it's completely fair that people are more inclined to support a company overworking its employees than a company that allows employees to be harassed to the point of suicide.

I think it's up to every individual to decide what their limits are, because, as you pointed out, making the ethical choice would be to cease all consumption, which is not feasible.
I am inclined to agree that it's probably not an ideal workplace - but I think that accusing a company of karoshi is a pretty serious accusation that should not be made without evidence.
I am not sure that I agree that this is because of the economic system, I rather think that exploitation and corruption are a part of human nature, especially when some kind of authority or power comes into play. It attracts the wrong kind of people, unfortunately. I am extremely doubtful that it would be any better under another economic system - God knows that all the alternatives we've ever seen have their fair share of corruption too.

Last edited:
Level 34
,,Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background"
And why is this important to mention? i think this is already common, in every corporation, therefore no need to specifically note that.
Or this is another corporative trick, to tell us what we want to hear.

Level 3
Oh excuse me... Seems that I missed it. What media reports and legal accusations are against Blizzard regarding that matter?
They're being sued by the State of California for discriminatory behaviour towards their female employees, including mid-tier managers preferring to promote men instead of women, even if the woman in question was more qualified for the job. There are many accusations of sexual harassment, Blizzard having a fratboy culture, and all manners of f***** up behaviour.

Level 34
They're being sued by the State of California for discriminatory behaviour towards their female employees, including mid-tier managers preferring to promote men instead of women, even if the woman in question was more qualified for the job. There are many accusations of sexual harassment, Blizzard having a fratboy culture, and all manners of f***** up behaviour.
Thank you sir. I just found it here State of California sues Activision Blizzard over "frat boy" culture
And this is just one of those sexual harassment cases. My winner is this one Riot Games investigating its CEO over sexual harassment lawsuit calling a woman to work ,,from his home when his wife is not present" :cgrin:
Those corporations are out of control lately. I found a daily basis their craps worldwide. They think that because they are big and rich that they can do whatever they wish.
And is the most annoying is a statement just like Blizzard did that they are the best place for women to work there bla bla bla. Basically just adding oil to fire! Why would anyone believe them? Do you believe them just because they made this statement?

Level 10
If DIablo 2 is a huge success, I may feel more trust worthy of Jen. For the rest I know Mike is competent enough following his credencials. But, I don't know for the rest. If Jen is a true fan of Blizzard (as I feel the team at Vicarious Visions are, through their remaster) I'm hoping for a soft reboot for Warcraft3 (one can dream)

With the last article about warcraft3 ressurfacing, Blizzard now know they can't hide for ever for this amazing game. It will follow them for ages. If they were to fix warcraft3 it would be a great PR move on their side to ''regain the trust of their players''. If I were them. I'd make everything in my power to make D2 as best as possible. (even to push away the release if needed),I would put D4 on the side. (yes I know, even though we are excited for it) and I'd focuss to clean all their skeletons in the closets... aka Warcraft3 reforge and WoW loosing all it's players to Final Fantasy. Get your shit together and put money back into these franchises to regain trust.

That's beyond optimistic. The corporate world doesn't work like that. The old Blizzard was devoted to the fan base and the quality of their product. Activision and then the new Blizzard are devoted to money, like almost every other major developer. Managers were proven to be completely out of touch over and over. I am not sure if they can hide forever, but I am convinced they will try. From their standpoint, Reforged was an abysmal failure, one that requires a lot of money and effort to be fixed, in return for no profit at all.

That's beyond optimistic. The corporate world doesn't work like that. The old Blizzard was devoted to the fan base and the quality of their product. Activision and then the new Blizzard are devoted to money, like almost every other major developer. Managers were proven to be completely out of touch over and over. I am not sure if they can hide forever, but I am convinced they will try. From their standpoint, Reforged was an abysmal failure, one that requires a lot of money and effort to be fixed, in return for no profit at all.
I don,t know. currently a LOT of people are voting with their money, when it comes to blizzard. WoW is loosing a lot of it's players at a phenominal rate. Hots players hate Activision for abandonning the project, Warcraft3 reforge is a joke. And I'm sure such wake up call could shake things up a LOT.

It is optomistic. but still grounded in reality if we, collectively stoped pre-ordering their games and we actually waited to buy their product and only if they were good, that stuff sends unprecedented messages.

Level 10
@Mr.Goblin Yeah, I am going to vote with my wallet too. Still, I don't think the executives will perceive it as one big issue. They are more likely to analyze things separately. The only thing they are probably worried about is WoW. Hots and Reforged are dead and will remain dead unless a big business opportunity arises. Another option would be a complete change of leadership.

Blizzard has everything a proper company should need to strive for the best. They got a devoted fan base, rich lore background, many talented people and proper competition. Yet somehow they manage to screw things over and over. It's mind-boggling if you ask me.

Level 34
Blizzard is the best place for women to work there! And for every race, sexual orientation... How do you people do not understand that? It is a great achievement in 2021! First to lie about it, not even close to the truth, and second (even if we ignore that), to state this forces one to wonder what have they been doing all those years, if they write this now in 2021. I mean what did they done regarding this matter in 2020, 2019, 2018... and so on.
So guys, screw Reforged, it is dead... Screw HOTS, Screw WOW... screw everything that they ruined. Only matters that THEY CLAIM to be the best working place! Everything else does not matter! I think from now on, everyone in the world should start judging only what the accused/defendant has to say. LIke this: ,,Sir are you guilty? - No, I am the best in the world! - Ok sir, it only matters, you are free, you can go now, just do not forget to make a statement again" Only statements matter!

Level 35
I mean, yeah, this is absolutely a forced statement and they likely don't mean anything by it. But the important takeaway here is not what they're saying but what they're doing. Blizzard is shit for many reasons, for letting the success of World of Warcraft shifting their motivations from passion to greed, for letting that greed guide them toward Activision and for letting Activision play such a huge role in the running of the company as they have, to name a few. But regardless of their intentions, they are hiring two very competent leaders, and one of them is a woman, which certainly can't make the work environment any worse for anyone (Except hopefully maybe sexist shit-heads). Of course, none of us will ever know just how much power they will truly have, or how much they're just the faces of an evil corporation driven by greed, pulling their every string. I really don't want to care, I want to renounce Blizzard from my life and become a person who only talks about the "good old days", but I still love Warcraft, and so long as there is even the tiniest sliver of hope for more Warcraft, Ill keep hoping and somewhat caring.

It makes me feel like a masochistic idiot, but yeah.

Level 34
I mean, yeah, this is absolutely a forced statement and they likely don't mean anything by it.
I also think that! That's why I said they are adding oil on fire for this!
But the important takeaway here is not what they're saying but what they're doing.
EXACTLY! Their words are useless if not followed by correspondent actions. In a matter of fact, not just useless, but problematic in this case.
Blizzard is shit for many reasons, for letting the success of World of Warcraft shifting their motivations from passion to greed

or how much they're just the faces of an evil corporation driven by greed, pulling their every string.
GREED! Like many other corporations around.

It makes me feel like a masochistic idiot, but yeah.
But you are not a masochistic idiot. You just speak what you feel. You feel betrayed as many of us as well.
Bye bye Blizzard, bye-bye.
So many games I have to play, anything new from this company really doesn't matter.
Yeah man! Unfortunately, they did this to themselves! They just could not control themselves and this had to happen perhaps. When you are greedy and corrupt, there is a chance to fail one day. Especially if you are dealing with a lot of customers and you try to cheat them just like they tried with Reforged. Sometimes action A leads to Action B from the other side (or counteraction, more precisely). I am not an expert in WOW or HOTS but I heard that their customers decreased there as well, which can be also a type of counteraction. They vote/speak with their wallets.

Level 11
I think its time to pick the reforged stuff here at Hive and start porting them to Skyrim SE with HDT physics, as people has done with the hots stuff, which not only looks great but really polished.

Mostly because it wouldn't be a bad idea seeing the light in other games like Skyrim SE or even Bannerlord 2 just to promote hive, in wake of blizzard's own hubris and stupidity.

Plus, its only a suggestion, but then blizzard is probably going down in 2022 to be reformed as Activision Insight per that strange leak that blizzard ordered mmo-champion to shut it down fast.

Attachments

• 489830_20210814011052_1.png
    489830_20210814011052_1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 489830_20210814155045_1.png
    489830_20210814155045_1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Level 20
blizzard is probably going down in 2022 to be reformed as Activision Insight per that strange leak that blizzard ordered mmo-champion to shut it down fast
MMO-C gets a lot of "leak" threads every year, especially when people are mad at Blizzard or believe there's a major WoW announcement incoming. The vast majority of them are fake and they usually get locked pretty quickly by the mods. Not because Blizzard told them to, but because it's trolling and leaving it open would invite more people to post their ideas as "leaks" instead of regular threads.

Thus there was nothing "strange" about the thread you mentioned. Quite the opposite in fact - a verbose, doom & gloom "leak" posted by a 1-post account with no evidence or follow up from the author that quickly derailed and got shut down. That's literally the definition of a fake MMO-C "leak" thread, which leads me to believe that this one was also just a bunch of made up bullshit.

Really? Blizzard will become something else or got completely shut down?
Nah. As I've said, that "leak" thread was most likely fake. There's nothing that suggests otherwise.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Posting this here:
Couldn't find an official source.

Level 34
deepstarasz, Hmm.... interesting. Another one seems left. We should ask real question IS THERE ANYONE WHO IS LEFT THERE? :cgrin:
and they usually get locked pretty quickly by the mods. Not because Blizzard told them to, but because it's trolling and leaving it open would invite more people to post their ideas as "leaks" instead of regular threads.
Oh I know about their moderators... Since Reforged out, they banned many people for complaining of product. Their own customers. And in specific reforged forums moderator did not showed up until two days before release. I had screenshot of him, showing 4 posts only! We asked him when he showed up if he is alive. There was chaos without any staff member. Whiloe in blizzard forums, they banned lot of people. They are incompetent. Plus they are paid for it. Hive's moderation is far superior to Blizzard's.

Level 11
MMO-C gets a lot of "leak" threads every year, especially when people are mad at Blizzard or believe there's a major WoW announcement incoming. The vast majority of them are fake and they usually get locked pretty quickly by the mods. Not because Blizzard told them to, but because it's trolling and leaving it open would invite more people to post their ideas as "leaks" instead of regular threads.

Thus there was nothing "strange" about the thread you mentioned. Quite the opposite in fact - a verbose, doom & gloom "leak" posted by a 1-post account with no evidence or follow up from the author that quickly derailed and got shut down. That's literally the definition of a fake MMO-C "leak" thread, which leads me to believe that this one was also just a bunch of made up bullshit.

Nah. As I've said, that "leak" thread was most likely fake. There's nothing that suggests otherwise.
I saw 3 companies deemed too big to fall die in a whim of hubris.

Interplay
Origin Systems
Westwood Studios

And a small note
Origin had J Allen Brack at origin Wing Commander before he moved to work on SWG, 2 games which he ruined at the very end before moving to other company.

Level 20
I saw 3 companies deemed too big to fall die in a whim of hubris.
I wasn't discussing the possibility of Blizzard falling - I just pointed out that the "leak" you found strange and believable is most likely fake. In other words, I'm not arguing that Blizzard won't fall, just that if it happens, it won't include turning into Insight or most other things described by that "leak".

Level 34
In other words, I'm not arguing that Blizzard won't fall, just that if it happens, it won't include turning into Insight or most other things described by that "leak".
What do you think that will happen if Blizzard possibly fails? I do not know if they will fail or not, but if they continue like that, this will lead to catastrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.