• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #6 - Apocalyptic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

postapocalypsewebsite-jpg.258823

Apocalyptic
Create a music piece which will express the destruction the apocalypse has caused, how empty a person can feel, left alone, lost many friends and family members etc. The only thing to do is to survive. Your piece can also depict an apocalyptic world where no survivors exist.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Rules of the contest the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any musical piece does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be finished and logically conclude and start.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Your song must include at least 2 parts(You basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing)
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments, Sound Samples (granted you provide the source of the original sound sample) and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product.
  • No former works can be submitted, the piece must be new and created to fit the theme.
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though Sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
  • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
  • SAMPLING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL, AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
  • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
  • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

• 5 reputation points for each contestant

judges.png

• Mr. Vacant
  • Mrs. Vacant

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10

Dynamic/Tonation
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 24th January, 2017 and conclude on 7th March, 2017, GMT

tips.png

Here are some free to use resources that can get you started:
  • Audacity: Free Audio recording program - though you have to start a new track every time you record (cut and paste across tracks to deal with this), this handy audio program has nearly no latency (non-noticeable) and is a great start for people recording actual instruments.
  • ModPlug Tracker: A tracker composing program. Pretty easy to use and powerful. Doesn't come with very many instruments although more are easy to get.
  • NoteWorthy Composer: Another composing program that relies heavily on sheet music.
  • FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops): Another powerful composer. Has a bit of a steep learning curve and also is not free but there is a trial version you can use.
  • Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis along with the big ones like MP3's (Can convert iTunes locked format too).
  • Psycle: A free sequencer type program - similar to Mod Plug. Has a bit of a learning curve, though it's pretty powerful when used correctly.
  • Mp3 Direct Cut: Simplistic audio editing program that allows you to edit Mp3 directly, from their original file (don't forget to back up the original).
  • Krystal Audio Engine: Similar to Audacity, though this program is tooled more towards people editing or mixing music - recording can generate some terrible latency. (Essentially its more powerful then Audacity, but much more difficult to record a sound directly to it)
  • Hammerhead Rythm Station: A free drum machine that has built in sounds geared towards Electronica and Dance music. Also supports importing your own drum sounds via userbanks (some userbanks are provided on the site) and the entire sound library can be edited if you get more advanced with it - Drum parts can be exported as wav's and then used in your music. You will want to use Switch Audio engine if you plan on importing your own sounds as it only supports the RAW format.
  • Guitar Pro 5 - A popular Tab program that is capable of producing MIDI works. When used with the RSE plugins it can produce some realistic guitar/bass/drum parts. There is a trial version that allows for 15 days free - RSE can't be used in the trial version
  • Acoustica Beatcraft a drum machine that works similarly to Hammerhead but with more power (like the ability to use triplets). The free trial can be downloaded multiple times
  • FamiTracker: Sequencer for producing old school Nes/Famicon music. Music made from this can be played on an actual NES or Famicon (if you happen to know how to transfer such works to a game cartridge)
  • Suggest some more!
  • Another one could be Tux Guitar which is a MIDI based program like Guitar Pro with a much more simpler interface: .:: TuxGuitar ::. Open Source Tablature Editor :: TuxGuitar

Additionally, this page can help some new composers to create better music if they don't have any good workstation to work on:

http://routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/

Extra two here as well:

SAVIHost – Standalone VST host for Windows
Ohm Studio - this might be paid by now.

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Attachments

• PostApocalypseWebsite.jpg
    PostApocalypseWebsite.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 2,026
Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think guys? Should we fire this up and have some contest material going on? :]

@NightStalker06698 @AditTechno @DED1 @Arisato @Brambleclaw @StringStorm @deepstrasz @Naze @PrinceYaser @Samuraid @The World Is Flat @Pyrogasm @Elf_Lord

Edited:

entries.png

ContestantWIPProofEntry
NightstalkerClickClickClick
BrambleclawClickClickClick
AnemicRoyaltyClickClickClick
DED1ClickClickClick
NazeClickClickClick
enzo2090ClickClickClick
deafirClickClickClick
deepstraszClickClickClick
PrinceYaserClickClickClick
DESTROYER123ClickClickClick

Last edited:
Level 19
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
What do you think guys? Should we fire this up and have some contest material going on? :]
Again... for some reason I didn't get any notification...
@Ralle why is that? Can it be because of too many @s?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, this theme... not very different from the other one but hey, we'll see...

Level 15
Super excited to see a new music contest! This is a great theme and should make for some exciting compositions.

I may be able to join this one...we'll see how things go.

Level 17
I was thinking holy fuck this theme.

Create a music piece which will express the destruction the apocalypse has caused, how empty a person can feel, left alone, lost many friends and family members etc. The only thing to do is to survive. Your piece can also depict an apocalyptic world where no survivors exist.

That description though. Holy shit HOLY SHIT XD

INSPIRATION RIGHT THERE

Level 19
I love these contests, too bad I suck with such programs cuz I wanted to participate :D
Btw, the notification link is broken, it links to icon submission rules instead.

Why not try man? Just choose a free program and mess around maybe you'll get something good.

Thats my motto for other contests like concept art, texturing etc. Why shouldnt i try? :p

Level 17
Who's Callum Shields?

I'm not sure you should keep that discourse.
I'd rather see this song as OST for a NASA themed movie than for a cataclysmic event (aftermath).

I feel so embarrassed. It has my real name in meta data because i registered my software with my real name Q_________Q i forgot to change it Q_____Q

Level 17
Well no surprise there. I never seem to get the theme right ._______________.

I guess i see things differently XD

New attempt :D

Attachments

• Mixdown.mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
New attempt :D

Much better now but it turns into a jazzy style after some time especially with that brass.

Update: Here is my work in progress ^^ I'm open for feedbacks

The strings will be altered much more it's just a baseline. The piece will develop a tension till some peak point. Then release what it's got. I'll re record the guitar too.

Attachments

• Not to be OverwhelmedWIPV1.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
Level 19
You're somewhere on the right track. Try not to keep the whole song on the same chords/mood.

If this was a reference to my previous contest entry i get what you say :p but ill keep it interesting mate dont worry ;)

Oh right so the theme is kinda like zombie music. 30 days later or what is was called

28 days -.- and yeah if you ask me that theme is a very successful soundtrack. You can see ive got some inspiration from it and some other tracks as well.

Inspirational pics man ^^

Hello again, guys! After much work, here is my first WIP music. I hope you like it! Please give me your feedbacks some times.

Attention: Please increase the volume of your speaker when you hear this music because I'm bad at recording!

Attachments

• PYSongWIP.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
I think it has too much a melodramatic vibe to fit the contest's theme.
Of course it must be the same form cuz the theme gives to contestants 15 points, right??
I mean, it could go with something sad but not necessarily tragic.
Well, I had two thoughts in my brain to make my music and I choosed this style.

Level 19
Hello again, guys! After much work, here is my first WIP music. I hope you like it! Please give me your feedbacks some times.

Attention: Please increase the volume of your speaker when you hear this music because I'm bad at recording!

I actually liked what you got here, it gives me a feeling of emptiness. Or a more emotional approach to the apocalypse. I can imagine a survivor staring at his old photo of his family and dreaming the past. A small get away from the harsh and unforgiving post apocalyptic world :'(

I actually liked what you got here, it gives me a feeling of emptiness. Or a more emotional approach to the apocalypse. I can imagine a survivor staring at his old photo of his family and dreaming the past. A small get away from the harsh and unforgiving post apocalyptic world :'(
Thanks for your feedback!

Level 19
No idea who else but until now, it's you, Yaser and Bramble.

I'd be more than glad if more people participated.

Can you guys recommend me an easy to use (and possibly free) program that has piano as an instrument? Also tutorials for said program would be appreciated.

Check the tips list in the main post. AS far as I know, you can download the demo of FL studio but you can't save in the demo which is shit, but I know of a good free plugin for piano as well.
Guitar pro is a less detailed music writing program but you can create some great harmonies in there.
There should be more free ones in the description tho. I can help with GP or FL if you decide to download one.

Status
Not open for further replies.