1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by MiniMage, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Your own picture in the first post shows an oldtimer-like victorian-ish racing car, minimage x) i was just noting that. do not worry, i am not here to force my opinion on anyone

2. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not really just about steampowered.It has has to have a victorian era inspired aesthetic.ACV is hardly steampunk.You can't say it has steampowered engine and have it use other technology that implies the discovery of oil.

3. kellym0

kellym0

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/183403-albums6929-picture83902.html

started life as a goblin land mine, but it like a butterfly, its gong to metamorphosis into a red alert terror drone, a star wars buzz droid, and starcraft 2 anti air mine. MUWAHAHAHAHA

''Not really just about steam powered.It has has to have a Victorian era inspired aesthetic.ACV is hardly steam punk.You can't say it has steam powered engine and have it use other technology that implies the discovery of oil. ''

I thought steam punk just meant old archaic robotics and or machinery, whether that be manned or autonomous? powered by any thing from magic to steam to coal?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    progress

Attached Files:

5. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Grendel, this thing is giving me serious "big daddy" vibes, from bioshock. ;P
    Pretty damn cool so far.

Actually, oil and hoverships have nothing to do with each other. A swedish scientist first made designs of hoverships in 1716. The victorian era is 1837-1901.
    Thus, you would be able to conclude that because of the possibilities of steampunk. Because steampunk is an extended version of the victorian era, he would be fine. Steampunk often shows knowledge of advanced robotics and other fancy things, far superior to modern day technology in those areas.

So, if his engine is steampunkish, he's all good. Granted, you have a point about the aesthetic. Steampunk can also be an alternate future, as in an alternate timeline, but you're right, the victorian era aestichic is still present. But, bioshock, all games.. are steampunk. Dishonered, is steampunk.. I think there's many examples of iterations of steampunk. That's why I left it open to interpretation. They use whale oil in dishonored though.. and that's still steampunk.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeaaaahh... It's the same thing that happens/happened in previous contests; I was just pointing out it was in a different order (often the Poll is set up, runs, and is tallied before the Judging is released/done). But it's no big deal, I suppose.

I wouldn't mind helping out... But are you sure you want to entrust something like that to me again, after the last time? :p
    I can do it. However, as long as the Judges consistently use the Criteria & the Voters do what they're supposed to do, it's child's play to tally it all up; anyone can do it.

That's pretty schweet, and an excellent retinue of inspiration. :p

~~~

So as the obligatory Troll-dude... I have to wonder what kind of awexome Troll steam-punk mech could be fabricated by one of you guys. I dunno, something like
    this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as a base of sorts (but made of wood), with
    this

[​IMG]

on top, shooting DARTS.

(Nothing personal, Misha; always considering alternative viewpoints :p)

~~~

On the other hand, this'd be a great contest for a surprisingly-little-done model... a Dwarven Engineer!
    [​IMG]

There's seriously like no model so far that really gets this feeling across... Could be a schweet sort of "heroic" version of the Dwarven Demolitions Squad from Wc2, mixed with the necessary 'steam-punk' augmentations... Perhaps a
    sick GearHammer

[​IMG]

, or even better, a strange
    Clockwerk Battle Standard
    [​IMG]
    , y'know?

7. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I seem to have no match for you all, heheh, my concept is a footman with cannon hands and steam comes from a tube at the back, then it's wrapped with the steamtank texture, but only made by geomeges and rewraps :( Good luck guys!

8. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Chen@ I'm sure you can make that even more groovy x)

Kyrbio@ what the? XD I'm building you that, granted, with so many pauses that it ain't even funny .u.

let's not go offtopic here :p

9. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe but his wip is almost a carbon copy of modern day ACV.
    Actualy robotics doesn't exist in any steampunk universe.Robotics implies the invention of PCB and modern electric wire covered in plastic for isolation and computer programing.
    It's just fictional steam construct that operate thanks to "science" but not robotics.
    Why saying that only the engine should be steampunkish and the victorian aesthetic is still important and then contradict yourself by ignoring the fact that the rest of the aesthetic is as almost a carbon copy of modern ACV with nothing indicating it's victorian.It's not just about steam there's plenty of modern technology that still use steam like smoothing iron but should not be considered steampunk.

And when I'm talking about oil It's petrol, fuel ,gasoline that oil not some cooking oil or whatever.Whale oil has nothing to do with it.

10. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Twerkbot 1000
    will be adding some more..things..to the cape later. not really fond of the plain team colored look.

Attached Files:

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Sweetioooo

12. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Dat Cape...Again. I know your style :) Keep it up!

13. grunt

grunt

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  14. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    steampunk.jpg
    I'll call him Sir Avery Twerkenstein
    (i actually don't know if i'll keep the spiffy 'stache and monocle..what do you guys think?)
    axe.jpg
    better view of the weapon

15. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Haha, I love it, great work so far. XD

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I know... but like I said, always interested in alternative viewpoints... >_>, <_<, >_< Hey, how's that going by the way? :p

Hm. I see your complaint. If I may, are you basically saying that the problem is that he seems to be making something that is not really "steam-punk" per say, but more like "regular technology"?

I suppose a strict(er) definition of what exactly counts as "Steampunk" would (have) be(en) helpful for the purposes of this contest; I do see that "Victorian-themed" bit you're talking about in the description (though it's one quick line; the rest of the paragraph is devoted to alternate ideas)...

It's been my experience that when a contestant goes a bit outside of "Theme", it generally works out because the Judges will grade off for that discrepancy. Now if he was making a Godzilla or a stuffed animal... Yeah, problem. :p But at least it's "technology", arguably "steam"-driven... And besides, he's not done yet; perhaps he has some more "Theme-fitting" modifications to make.

~

Speaking of which, where's your entry? :p We're all dying to see CLASH OF THE TITANS here. : )

That is so ridiculously you, -Grendel... And I'm still not quite sure what it is (Automaton Knight?).

Leave the monocle for now. :p

17. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Something about that model is giving me borderlands vibes now. XD
    I think it's making remember that explosives girl from there, Tiny Tina.

What I don't get is why you're dissing the model as if it was complete. ;D

18. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome stuff guys. Keep it up!

19. Pvt.Toma

Pvt.Toma

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not a bad start, there, Toma; very Gnomish. Love the Einsteinian (sp?) hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.