• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: The Drums in the Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Level 25
Welcome to the dark side. Literally.

Weren't you doing an Outland style terrain? Or was that the inside of the dungeon, and this is the outside?

Haha thanks :)

Outland was initially used for it's black abyss tile and cliff supporting it, but since I've found a way around needing that, the dungeon won't particularly be Outlandish. Not entirely sure yet. And yes, the screen are the outside. Inside will be a mix of various types.

I'm a sucker for Lords Summer :)

template.jpg

Seriously, using those trees guarantees you get -5 points on the terrain aspect xD

Level 25
Erm only lordaeron summer trees are bad or all of them ? (Asking because I have some sunken ruins trees and they look good to me... And No, lordaeron summer trees looks like s*** to me too)

I think it's mainly just good ol' Lords Sum'r that people have a problem with. And when I say "people", I actually mean "those who prefer to make wc3 1% more realistic instead of leaving the theme intact".

They look amazing, they fit the theme perfectly and conserve the "feel" that WC2 had.

Level 12
Lol ^^ making custom tilesets is one of the first things a war3 map maker learns to do.

Example: "I want to make map like "some awesome map". "Opening we. New map. Generaly new map gets lords summer tileset. Normal ppl notice the terrain edotor first(left>>right) "Lets do some terraining !! " "WTF where are those awesome tiles from "some awesome map"."

Edit// android keyboard is pain in the a** especialy when your phone display is around 4x8cm

Edit2: Lol ^^ making custom tilesets is one of the first things a war3 map maker learns to do.

Example: "I want to make map like "some awesome map". "Opening we. New map. Generaly new map gets lords summer tileset. Normal ppl notice the terrain edotor first(left>>right) "Lets do some terraining !! " "WTF where are those awesome tiles from "some awesome map"."

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Work in Progress 3

Here's my new WIP pics, I would like to make a video but I'm too lazy to get fraps or something like it.

Attachments

• WIP 4.png
    WIP 4.png
    932.4 KB · Views: 267
  • WIP 5.png
    WIP 5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
  • WIP 6.png
    WIP 6.png
    908.3 KB · Views: 142
Level 23
Im not new to WE or terraining but Ive learned or was interesting how to change tiles recently so never say never(unless you say never say never, then you can)

What if I reskin the tile? you will not find it anywhere, for instance HappyTauren's Lava model(not necessery tile but its very similar) look almost like tile but you have nothing of that quality in basic tiles

on topic: I would post new WIP but there is literally nothing new in my map so nothing to show :/ I wont have time until monday to work on it any longer then a few minutes :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
Convenience over effort won't be an excuse to make use of third party programs (exception: Jass New Gen Pack). GUI actions that do not exist in the vanilla editor's database may lead to disqualification. WEU (World Editor Unlimited) and UMSWE fall into this category.

Too bad :S

Id like to participate in one of these contests, but noone allows alternative editors :((

Level 12
I'll be dropping from this one. But I'll keep the map as idea throught...

-Too noob for you guys
-Want to make some systems and spells
-Want to finish my team project as soon as possible
-Terrain sucks rly hard
-School starts soon
-Having birthday soon (12thSep)

Level 14
Nah its a new jass precompiler with a python-style syntax and cool features like dynamic dispatch, generics, ...
Its not officially released yet, but some ppl in the german community already use it.
i mean i could do the same in vJass, but i simply dont want :p

Level 25
This will probably be my final WIP.

Still doesn't include any items, but the first area, along with several creeps and minibosses, is complete.

A word of caution; it has claimed the lives of many heroes. If you are going to play it multiplayer, make sure all the players know how to kite and more importantly that there is no respawn. If you are going to be playing single player, take it slow and good luck :)

Attachments

• justanotherdungeon020.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Level 21
Yes, I can say from personal experience that FPS maps are fun to make, but they take too much work for a simple month-long contest. Too many height, distance and angle formulas that the terrain can interfere with. It would be better as a side project, especially now that there's less than 20 days left in the contest.

Level 25
The problem with first person/3rd person in warcraft 3 is that people often like to use arrow keys, which are laggy. The other problem is the camera - which goes wonky over terrain, so that limits your terraining options.

It *can* work, but arrow keys/keyboard control is the most intuitive for this type of map, and since it doesn't work well you have to resort to usual click orders, which are rendered ineffective because you now have half of a screen to click on. At best this is still frustrating to play.

I suggest at most making it a 3rd person camera with an option for normal camera.

ok, no fps then :D well, here is my idea, just to be sure i'm not copying anyone:

Warmage

Controls:

Up - walk
Up x2 - run
Down - walk backwards
Down x2 - rotate 180
Left/Right - rotate
F1 - attack
F1 (rapidly) - attack combo
F2 - bolt (ranged attack)
F3 - defend (defends from frontal attacks)
F4 - Channel (after casting channel, you press F1/F2/F3 to use an ability: F1 - Slam (AoE around hero attack, F2 - Power Bolt (bolt with increased AoE, damage, can go trough units...in one word, maximized), F3 - Time Sphere (slows down creeps and missiles and stuff inside the sphere)

Combos:
6xF1 - fist combo
3xF1 + Up + 3xF1 - spear combo
3xF1 + Down + 3xF1 - sword combo
3xF1 + Left + 3xF1 - handblades combo
3xF1 + Right + 3xF1 - mace combo

Camera:
3D third person camera which follows unit from behind;
The camera stuff like distance, height and other can be manually changed.
Camera will also move during combos and spells.

That's about it for now, soon it will be WIP time.

Level 21
Controls:

Up - walk
Up x2 - run
Down - walk backwards
Down x2 - rotate 180
Left/Right - rotate
F1 - attack
F1 (rapidly) - attack combo
F2 - bolt (ranged attack)
F3 - defend (defends from frontal attacks)
F4 - Channel (after casting channel, you press F1/F2/F3 to use an ability: F1 - Slam (AoE around hero attack, F2 - Power Bolt (bolt with increased AoE, damage, can go trough units...in one word, maximized), F3 - Time Sphere (slows down creeps and missiles and stuff inside the sphere)
Those controls seem very similar to something... something very Aegaeus-like :xxd: But the combos and everything sound cool. There aren't really any other hotkey options for letterbox mode anyway. I was going to mention experimenting with both first-person concepts before deciding what to do, but I think a third-person map would suit Warcraft a lot better. All of those combos are going to keep you busy enough as it is.

Well this is a short WIP demo of my map. I'm a renegade and sticking with FPS. It's my last protected WIP with a few Triumphs (achievements) to unlock. You're virtually invincible, but you lose points by getting attacked. You can't lose points gained by Triumphs, because you receive Triumph points at the end. The goal in this demo is simply to get the most points possible. Graphic settings should be set to high.

Attachments

• Tunnel Buster - Demo 1 (P).w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.