1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mini-Mapping Contests: Farming

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Vengeancekael, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony1509

tony1509

Resources:
    Resources:
    OK. Let me have a look at your map.

First, what is this huge thing?!
    photo
    [​IMG]

Then, I think it is just crafting (just like mine craft...:grin:), but not farming... Also I can't think how can I "farm" with the huge thing chasing me and lots of beast walking around.

Moreover, I think crafting needs too many metirals (am I spelling wrong?) to craft. I can't find enough metirals to craft. (I am not patient enough:xxd:)

On the other hand, I think the cinemaic is useless...:goblin_boom: Or maybe add some informaion that I will talk it now.

Last but not lease, I don't know how to gain points at all... So add it in the cinemaic.

Anyway, some of it is my own opinion, and sorry for lots of spelling mistakes if I have...:goblin_yeah:

EDIT: I am going to sleep, "All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:46 PM." So find me at "GMT +8, 04:00P.M." Good night =P

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. New wip

Here is my WIP#2 about my entry map Farm Wars

I've modified the design a bit (check thumbs)

The next WIP will be a functional map for atleast one player!

WHAT'S THE MAP
    -UP to 4 players that compete in a farming & selling game
    -First player to get X amount of gold wins

MAP CONCEPT
    -Each player gets land that can be turned into a grand farm
    -Players can plant patches that grow goods
    -Players can research various tech for enhancing the plants
    -Players can sell the goods to the market, earning their share

DETAILS
    -This is a hidden demand and supply game into a farming concept. You maintain your farm of plants, harvest their goods and sell them.

-Plants sap water, and need to be watered. You can build a sprinkler around them or water them yourself or with your mules. If your plants have no water, they start to rot and diminish their own health. They also stop growing goods then. This makes the simple concept highly complex in should-be long games hence:
    -> Lots of plants -> Lots of goods -> Lots of maintenance

-You can research tech about various plant challenges. The random vermin event will spawn vermin around your farm that will attack the plants - researching a thorn bush and planting one near your plants will take care of the vermin for you and save you lot of plants! The drought event will increase the water sapped by plants - building a sprinkler around your plants will constantly water them, preventing rotting and health loss...

-The market is constatnly being monitored for high demand and supply. Getting this information is critical, because this is a gold gain game, and you can use the high demand / low supply to your advantage. You can also spy on players, to see what are they feeding the market, allowing you to predict how long will it take before prices drop on a particular good.

LEFT TO BE DONE
    -Races (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf, Naga) - each race will have its own unique feature that can aid the game in some fashion

-Mules (bought) - these animals will be quite the helping hand for you. They can collect goods, water plants and even chase away the vermin.

-Random Events (Drought, Vermin Infestation, Rain, Bountiful Harvest) - these are global events regarding conditions.

-Market (Supply/Demand) - As mentioned, market is gonna be the place where you sell your goods. If players constantly feed the same goods to the market, supply will increase and demand will drop, having the goods provided cost less and thus hurting your economy. Some plants have a price lock on them, so they can always be sold for same amounts however most of them are affected by the market.

-Black Market (Information) - Players can collect information about the possible random events, possible market supply/demand as well as spy on players to see what they are planting. This information is critical to a good successful farming and ... it costs ;)

Attached Files:

3. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @sentrywiz

Sounds good!

In your first screenshot I notice you're using floating texts - you know there's a limit of 100, right?

4. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I will try to join....

My idea.. Metal Farming

You are the manager of a goblin mining company, your goal is to farm ore, smelt them into usable minerals and satisfy clients that want from the cheapest copper to the most difficult to obtain duraluminium allow...

Example: mine ore, smelt it and get 3 copper bars + 1 tin bar, smelt them into 4 bronze bars. (complete the contract, and spend the earned money in upgrades for any part of your factory)

5. No I didn't.

Thank you for telling me.
    I was looking for some way to limit the mass production of farms per player. You have given me that - hence 4 players, 100 max text = 25 patches per player. That will also allow me to add a "sell patch" button

Many thanks!

6. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's even more boring to judge 10 boss fights when the diffrence between them is more or less the used models.

This contest requires CREATIVITY, and checking back the last 7 map contests/mini-contests this one is the first where killing an enemy is not mandatory. Unless contestants make it so.
    Otherwise people might as well use one of their dungeon entries and add 'farmed loot' and call it a day.
    The only dungeon with interesting (altho optional) farming I remember was the Expansion Sentinel campaign with Maiev, where she must gather 12 orb fragments hidden or placed in pretty unique to reach locations.
    So to those who make dungeon-gathering map, please make it interesting and involving.

7. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Agreed. Tbh we need even more vague topics like "Life" and let people come up with whatever.

8. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Maybe adding puzzles (Well, VK said that Puzzles can be included) and Achievements that gives great rewards?

9. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anything can be included in my opinion. As long as it is interesting and entertaining.

Even a panda eating a taco with a lightsaber on a unicycle. :thumbs_up: (someone photoshop this)

10. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Lol, I'll try my best.:thumbs_up:

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No problem :)

There is a workaround for the 100 limit - to limit it to 100 per player, by creating the floating text in a local block.

12. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The wc3 engine vs 3449 Crabs

3449 Crabs.jpg

13. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    damn, lost motivation. Wont join this ;(

I will keep it to the triggering contests :p

14. Tickles

Tickles

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll steal your spot :razz:

My test-run WIP for movement and casting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQUo3cZNblg&feature=youtu.be

Yay for having a new laptop that can actually make videos without blowing up!

15. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looking good. Reminds me of one of the most relaxing war3 maps: Go Fish.

Nice to see a map that actually benefits from arrow key controls :)

16. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice ambience!
    I see your favorites on 2D games XD

17. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Where the hell have you been? Good fishing WIP

18. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Added some orcs and terrained a bit.

Attached Files:

19. Tickles

Tickles

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That I do. 2D views just seem so much more... manageable :smile:
    Awesome tech-tree. I actually had to check how you did the root system, because that's a pretty unique feature. "Needs roots, yo"

20. MasterTrainer

MasterTrainer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm joining this. (Since juno inspired me so much)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.