• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Development Mini-Contest #2 [Hero Defense]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
The Hive Workshop

w3m.gif

Map Development Mini-Contest #2

Contest Theme: Hero Defense
Each contestant must create their own unique hero defense based on a template map given.
Contest Rules And Conditions
  • No map may violate any site rules.
  • You must use the template map presented.
    • You may have up to ten (10) imports in your map.
    • Original triggers and or units may be deleted.
    • The maps boundaries must remain, while the terrain can be changed.
    • Changing tilesets is allowed.
  • GUI, JASS and vJASS are allowed.
  • Using alternative World Editors is allowed, but you must provide a link to them in your submission post.
  • The map must be within the multiplayer map size limit.
  • The map must be multiplayer.
  • Teams aren't allowed.

Prizes
  • First Place: 30 Reputation points and an award icon.
  • Second Place: 20 Reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 10 Reputation points and an award icon.
Judging
  • Judging Criteria: [Proposed] (75% of the complete score.)
    • Terrain: 5 points.
    • Originality: 5 points.
    • Coding: 5 points.
    • Polish: 5 points
  • Public poll (25% of the complete score.)
Deadline
  • Each map must be complete and submitted four weeks after the contest begins.
  • The contest shall begin on 15th of June 2009 and conclude on 22nd of July 2009 23.59 GMT.

Attachments

• TemplateMap.w3x
    17.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Level 3
Can someone answer whether a model and its corresponding skin counts as 1 or 2 imports.
Btw, why do we need a template, i mean like we are going to change the terrain anyway. How would you know whether someone uses the template map or another map with the same map boundary?

Level 23
Checking the map coordinates solves that. Anywho, you're fine to change the tileset, and everything, as long as the boundaries are not. This includes selfplaced boundaries I think. You're not able to shrinken your map size that way. Correct me if I am wrong Bounty.

Level 8
I think model with custom skin should count as one import or else this is unfair advantage for those who import models with in-game texture.
btw,many models also have own icons. would that be separate import too?

Level 3
uh.. just wondering.. what makes a map a hero defense? I'm not 100% sure what a hero defense is so I was wondering what counts as a hero defense.

Level 36
I've just started work on my entry for the contest. Here are some screenshots of what I've done so far.

View attachment 58357View attachment 58358

The terrain is about 50% done, and I have started work on some of the basic triggers and a basic AI.

Hmm, you're doing that terrain style again? Well I kinda like it. :p

I think I will make an undead themed map.

Level 36
Here's a little screenshot to give you all an idea of the kind of terrain I'll be making and the kind of setting the map will have. You play as members of a necromantic cult that is defending its underground castle from an invading force of paladins known as the "Children of the Light." The primary objective is to secure the location of the head necromancer, (some cool name beginning with an X), while he summons a portal to escape through. After 30 minutes, the portal is complete and you win.

Note that the terrain is not even close to complete.

WIP SCREENSHOT: http://i42.tinypic.com/mcarz8.jpg

EDIT: I cut out the water model to save an import slot. Now it's just empty abyss... which kinda looks better anyways.

Last edited:
Level 24
Hmm, you're doing that terrain style again? Well I kinda like it. :p

I think I will make an undead themed map.

Yeah I decided to use the same style as my last terrain, since it looks great and the only imports it needs is the custom trees, so the map size won't get too big from imports.

Here's a little screenshot to give you all an idea of the kind of terrain I'll be making and the kind of setting the map will have. You play as members of a necromantic cult that is defending its underground castle from an invading force of paladins known as the "Children of the Light." The primary objective is to secure the location of the head necromancer, (some cool name beginning with an X), while he summons a portal to escape through. After 30 minutes, the portal is complete and you win.

Note that the terrain is not even close to complete.

WIP SCREENSHOT: http://i42.tinypic.com/mcarz8.jpg

EDIT: I cut out the water model to save an import slot. Now it's just empty abyss... which kinda looks better anyways.

Looks nice so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when its done :)

Level 6
hhmm well thanks bounty you put the template out the same day that i left town... not bringing a computer with me XD

and what is the point of the template? all it does is set the size, like its quite a bit different from the original contest... i know you want the maps to be cool but its suppose to be something simple and easy that we come up with not fuckin insane shit made by void...

Edit: the original contest didn't let you have imports :D FTW!!!!!!!!

Level 36
Yessir. This here's the entire map, I might add left and right wings as well, but that would come later.

By the way, this isn't really a good angle, but it's the only one that would fit the entire terrain :p

Attachments

• mapcontest2d.jpg
    mapcontest2d.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Level 23
:O damn... that looks so cool

/me offers a teamup with void (no one will never notice;)

Edit: New wip. I know that you guys are probably thinking: "How is that going to be a hero defense?" And my answer to that is. You have yourself a kind of aircraft or pilot which will shoot down enemies on the ground. The aircrafts will have different commands and abilities, thus making them perfectly fine to work as a "hero".

But well, I am probably not going to success with making is such professional badasses as the other wips atm.

Edit2: I think Im dropping out.

Last edited:
Level 24
Here are two more screenshots. The first one is the site where heroes will revive if they are killed, and the second is at the entrance to the temple during one of the waves.

BobsHeroDefense03.jpgBobsHeroDefense04.jpg

Progress on my map is going well at the moment. The AI for the map is coming along nicely, although it still needs a lot of work. I have also got a lot of work done on the triggering and have started on some of the custom heroes and abilities.

Level 8
I think I'll join this and here is what I've come up with for terrain.
TempleDefense.JPG
The gameplay will be quite different then most of the hero defenses, cuz here you won't be defending against creeps but against 10 waves of bosses coming 1 at a time.

Your temple has 3 lives and every boss that gets to it lowers it by 1 with the last boss taking 2. There will be several siege machines on the map that players can take control of like the catapult(the pillers building is where it stands).

I'm designing it for 4 players which I think is a decent number for a map like that.

Level 6
its kinda hard to test it void... use your head... when the map is meant for more than 1 person you kinda need to use bnet to test it

Edit: well at least i need to, but since im not void, im not perfect so you know it would make scene that i would have to use bnet to test it, and void would not

Level 6
pppsssst thats no fun i dont want to control all the heros i want to play it with other people and be able to say... "yeah thats right bitch i made this game... now go make me a sandwich and tell me some shit i need to fix"

Edit: ha 5,666 posts for void he has the devilz favorite number in he post 666!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 7
Void that terrain looks bloody brilliant. I love how you percieve these fabtastic ideas that other people would never of though of. Can't wait to see your hero defense.

Bob27 same with you. I especially like your use of the altar as a doodad.

You guys got me inspired, I think I'll enter as well!

Level 9
Are we allowed to make our own heroes/spells or does it need to be a melee hero? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.