• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: Farming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Callahan never seemed to worry about edits as long as he was credited. Not only that, but the model still basically looks the same in your map, and any number of things can hide emitters in-game anyway (lighting, tinting, size, etc.).

Well if you want more brownie points in the farming theme, you might want to consider focusing more on the artifacts the player needs to collect over armies at war. Maybe give a dire reason for collecting the artifacts, like the hero needs them to survive? And so do the undead to preserve their life-force.

The 3 Artifacts are somehow of a sacred artifact that makes the wielder strong. The Undead are not aware of the Artifacts' location but the main hero is aware. By collecting these 3 Artifacts, the hero can cleanse the Castle from the foul presence of the undead.

~ * Mini-Mapping Contest # 8: Farming * ~
The Spirits of Ashenvale - By Zenonoth

M8zRUiv.jpg

Story

Due to Warchief Thrall's mistrust in Grom's handling of the Humans; he has tasked him to construct a settlement in the borders of Ashenvale forest to secure the northern region for the Horde. Grom was dissatisfied with his Warchief's decision to use his Warsong Clan which he estimates to be the finest warriors of the Orcish Horde for harvesting resources, yet he has no choice but to proceed with the operation, soon Grom is about to discover that constructing the settlement in the heart of the Night Elf homeland is no easy task and that may drive him more eager to carry out his duty in that operation.

Gameplay

You play as Drak, Grom Hellscream's trusted lieutenant, the map's main setting/plot is ideal to that of the Reign of Chaos' Orc Campaign Map of the same name in a manner. Yet you are the one who must collect Resources (Which Replaces Gold) while Grom and his Warriors continue to harvest lumber, just as you would win in the Reign of Chaos' version by collecting 15,000 lumber, so will you achieve victory here by amassing 15,000 Resources (Gold), however you must keep Drak and Grom's main Fortress alive for if they're destroyed; there's no hope you can proceed with this operation.

Similiarities and Differencies Between this Map and RoC's map ( Includes Features)

• The Map shares the same Idea/Concept of RoC's map of the same name

• Here you must collect 15,000 Resources (A Resource/Mineral that Replaces Gold and represents any usable resource like Meat, Leather, Cloth, Silk, Weapons, and Arnaments) instead of 15,000 Lumber which needed to be collected in RoC's map in order to achieve victory.

• You'll automatically receive lumber which is actually what you'll use to train units and purchase items.

• You control only Drak ~ a special Grunt and loyalist to Grom Hellscream at the very start of the game.

• You can go to buildings at Grom's Base and benefit from them, such as Hiring units from the Barracks or buy and turn in items and valuables at the Warsong Supply Office building.

• Unlike Lumber .. Resources are more difficult to acquire.

• You get resources either by ( 1 - Selling items that drop from any creature including enemy units at the Warsong Supply office / 2 - Attacking enemy buildings and benefiting from your units' ''Pillage'' ability / 3 - Raiding abandoned Night Elf structures and claiming them for your own + using them to send resources to you such as the Night Elf Gold Mine, Fishing Village, and the Dragon Roost )

• If you don't amass 15,000 Resources in 30 minutes ( Which is usually the time-setting for a Mini-map and that's what I think it should qualify it to be one ) Night Elf reinforcements will arrive and you'll have a very short time to collect the remaining gold before they decimate Grom's base causing your defeat.

• Night Elven forces will keep teleporting from time to time to Grom's base, eventually attacking it in an attempt to retake their ancestral forest.

• This map's terrain has been modified to suit the game-type of this map (That doesn't mean I've edited Blizzard's terrain for RoC's map or that I've used it even in any way)

Credits

Sephiroth_VII for his Straight Track Model

• Blizzard Entertainment for some WoW Icons which I used.

NOTE: I've seen a similiar map entry known as ''Force of Nature'' which's been made by one of the contestants which depicts a similar plot where Night Elves build their villages as Grom's Orcish legions invade them..I'd like to point out that I'm IN NO WAY TRYING TO COPY HIS IDEA and I actually completed this map on the second day of this contest's commencing but I had to delay it's release due to some issues with my PC.

Give Critics and Opinions, Screenshots of Gameplay & WiPs will be uploaded sooner and more map updates will be done later. (

Attachments

• MiniMapping Contest#8 Farming.w3x
    519.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Level 9
~ * Mini-Mapping Contest # 8: Farming * ~

M8zRUiv.jpg

Story

Due to Warchief Thrall's mistrust in Grom's handling of the Humans; he has tasked him to construct a settlement in the borders of Ashenvale forest to secure the northern region for the Horde. Grom was dissatisfied with his Warchief's decision to use his Warsong Clan which he estimates to be the finest warriors of the Orcish Horde for harvesting resources, yet he has no choice but to proceed with the operation, soon Grom is about to discover that constructing the settlement in the heart of the Night Elf homeland is no easy task and that may drive him more eager to carry out his duty in that operation.

Gameplay

You play as Drak, Grom Hellscream's trusted lieutenant, the map's main setting/plot is ideal to that of the Reign of Chaos' Orc Campaign Map of the same name in a manner. Yet you are the one who must collect Resources (Which Replaces Gold) while Grom and his Warriors continue to harvest lumber, just as you would win in the Reign of Chaos' version by collecting 15,000 lumber, so will you achieve victory here by amassing 15,000 Resources (Gold), however you must keep Drak and Grom's main Fortress alive for if they're destroyed; there's no hope you can proceed with this operation.

Similiarities and Differencies Between this Map and RoC's map ( Includes Features)

• The Map shares the same Idea/Concept of RoC's map of the same name

• Here you must collect 15,000 Resources (A Resource/Mineral that Replaces Gold and represents any usable resource like Meat, Leather, Cloth, Silk, Weapons, and Arnaments) instead of 15,000 Lumber which needed to be collected in RoC's map in order to achieve victory.

• You'll automatically receive lumber which is actually what you'll use to train units and purchase items.

• You control only Drak ~ a special Grunt and loyalist to Grom Hellscream at the very start of the game.

• You can go to buildings at the Warsong Base and benefit from them, such as Hiring units from the Barracks or buy and turn in items and valuables at the Warsong Supply Office building.

• Unlike Lumber .. Resources are more difficult to acquire.

• You get resources either by ( 1 - Selling items that drop from any creature including enemy units at the Warsong Supply office / 2 - Attacking enemy buildings and benefiting from your units' ''Pillage'' ability / 3 - Raiding abandoned Night Elf structures and claiming them for your own + using them to send resources to you such as the Night Elf Gold Mine, Fishing Village, and the Dragon Roost.

• If you don't amass 15,000 Resources in 30 minutes ( Which is usually the time-setting for a Mini-map and that's what I think it should qualify it to be one ) Night Elf reinforcements will arrive and you'll have a very short time to collect the remaining gold before they decimate your base.

• Night Elven forces will keep teleporting from time to time to your base, eventually attacking it in an attempt to retake their ancestral forest.

• This map's terrain has been modified to suit the game-type of this map (That doesn't mean I've edited Blizzard's terrain for RoC's map or that I've used it even in any way)

Credits

Sephiroth_VII for his Straight Track Model

• Blizzard Entertainment for some WoW Icons which I used.

NOTE: I've seen a similiar map entry known as ''Force of Nature'' which's been made by one of the contestants which depicts a similar plot where Night Elves build their villages as Grom's Orcish legions invade them..I'd like to point out that I'm IN NO WAY TRYING TO COPY HIS IDEA and I actually completed this map on the second day of this contest's commencing but I had to delay it's release due to some issues with my PC.

Give Critics and Opinions, Screenshots of Gameplay & WiPs will be uploaded sooner and more map updates will be done later. (

I really liked this map, mostly because it has the actual wc3 gameplay and its not like a custom camera system and some weird badass system that makes the map too awesome to be warcraft 3 if you know what I mean. I like maps that are just like a warcraft campaign

Some things i liked
-The plot is well though i love it
-The huge map
-The fact you are in the same map with a warcraft 3 allstar (hellscream}
-The feeling it gives, orcs vs night elves ahh i missed that feelin'
-The post description xD

Things i did not like
-Sometimes i was not able to leave base because of the numerous raids
-The skillset! It was sooo... dead
-Terrain was like 50% done, it could have been better but i think terrain is irrelevant at this point, when u have such big map, ahhh too much work :p

I really liked the map, mostly because its related to the style of map making I have :p

I really liked this map, mostly because it has the actual wc3 gameplay and its not like a custom camera system and some weird badass system that makes the map too awesome to be warcraft 3 if you know what I mean. I like maps that are just like a warcraft campaign

Some things i liked
-The plot is well though i love it
-The huge map
-The fact you are in the same map with a warcraft 3 allstar (hellscream}
-The feeling it gives, orcs vs night elves ahh i missed that feelin'
-The post description xD

Things i did not like
-Terrain was like 50% done, it could have been better but i think terrain is irrelevant at this point, when u have such big map, ahhh too much work :p

I really liked the map, mostly because its related to the style of map making I have :p

Thanks, I'd like to point out that there's a small leak I figured out at a crucial moment, when you attacked the priestess of the moon it would spam hints, the new version is 100% fixed of that bug.

1-You should keep Drak stationed at the Barracks for only he is supposed to have the authority to hire units since he's their commander, and keep hiring them whenever they're up.

2-You need to place at least a few Guardians at the Dragon Roost and the Mine near the Spider cave since the creatures that'll assault them are weak.

3-The rest of your force should be centered at Grom's base to fend off the Night Elves and recover their items.

Actually I can make him a badass skillset with complicated triggers but he's supposed to be a Grunt Aka: more of a field-support unit do he'd require the most basic of normal skills.

Thanks again but actually I finished it in 1-2 days, do you have any suggestions for the Terrain?

Level 21
Nice map for being all basic Warcraft-like. I like that the hero has a nice variety of utility skills, but they could use some customization to make them more interesting. Auras alone that the player can't level themselves are especially boring, and for being the only real attack skill, Axe Slam did horrible damage.

To make the terrain more interesting, you could add a lot of height variations (walkable hills/cliffsides). I always find it a bit odd when Warcraft 3 forests have perfectly-paved paths through them. Maybe you could add a mix of some dead and live trees in the big open clearings. Some more environment doodads (rocks/plants/Night Elf remnants) or ponds in those areas would be nice, too.

DSanhueza summed everything else up pretty well.

Level 25

I quite liked the mine cart thing, and how our two maps are two sides of the same story.

What I didn't like (I played for about 5 minutes) was how all I would be doing is running around picking up items and selling them, while NPCs do all the fighting. Almost as if the night elves were "delivering" items to me.
- Make items stackable. For balance, maybe have each additional charge reduce speed or something.
- Raid less frequently. I didn't even notice raids coming until they were destroyed.

And re:
I've seen a similiar map entry known as ''Force of Nature'' which's been made by one of the contestants which depicts a similar plot where Night Elves build their villages as Grom's Orcish legions invade them..

I would just like to point out that in mine, the player isn't the night elves - the player is the forest!

Level 21
I vow never to make a multiplayer map like this ever again :xxd: Anyway, I finally got my fishing/catching system working the way I wanted it. I'm still trying to decide if hitting the wrong key results in the fish getting away or just less points given for that catch.

This is just another video WIP featuring the unfinished loading screen, starting area, fail catches, and some flawless catches.

Level 19
I have long wanted to make a campaign about "the adventures of Peon Amargaard", and since the first map is supposed to be about farming gold for the Horde, I thought I would enter it here ^^
174866-albums3028-picture68814.png
174866-albums3028-picture68815.png
174866-albums3028-picture68816.png
Can somebody tell me how do you make maps attached to posts? :)

Level 30
I have long wanted to make a campaign about "the adventures of Peon Amargaard", and since the first map is supposed to be about farming gold for the Horde, I thought I would enter it here ^^
174866-albums3028-picture68814.png
174866-albums3028-picture68815.png
174866-albums3028-picture68816.png
Can somebody tell me how do you make maps attached to posts? :)

Wow, cool WiP Screenshots! Beautiful terrain.

@Kael
Yay, extensions. I really love extension!!!

Level 9
Thanks, might as well upload the current version then. Feedback is much welcome :)

Ahahaha I really liked it, the fact that most of the structures are three times the size of the peon, thats rad! The whole concept its pretty legit too. Theres a few things I did not like though; How do I heal faster? Tall stuff is nice but it is darkened, could you make it visible somehow?

Overall I loved it ahahaha seems like you still have a lot of work left to do though, the map is pretty huge. props mate!

Okay my turn now, I still have a lot to do on mine but I wanted to put up a playable WIP since everybody else has done so. Theres a few things you need to know before playing this my map:

-Dont allow more than 50 enemy unis in the map
-Summon raids on the living world to get more souls, use the Doombringer
-Summon skeletons with your gatekeeper
-Get control of fire mines
-There is currently only 3 levels (level increases after you deliver souls to Lucifer)
-When you each the amount of souls required to advance level, you get the ability to send them to Lucifer, cast it with your Gate Keeper.
-The map is very difficult, I like it that way :p

Feedback is more than welcome, enjoy! :B

Attachments

• Keeper of Souls.w3x
    765.4 KB · Views: 66
Level 21
Feedback is more than welcome, enjoy! :B
So I'm not the only one aware of who Lady Gaga really is! Hot story, bro. I really like the fast-paced gameplay. It got a little repetitive, but I'm sure you'll be adding more tech to build with the imps. Traps to lock units in place or explode on contact would be cool if you're looking for more ideas, or maybe some type of healing fire (like a healing fountain).

One little thing that really bothered me my first play-through was that I didn't realize I was given the ability when I got to 100 souls and failed at 106 souls. You might want to give a little more warning about Requiem of Souls, because it follows the same color theme as the other skills and doesn't really appear as anything new until taking a closer look.

Level 30
WiP #3 - Farming Contest Entry

Here is the test map. My entry is a dungeon crawl game but your main goal here is to gather the 3 great artifacts that can save the Kingdom from the darkness.

It is yet incomplete. Only up to the first boss and after that no cinematic anymore but you can go to the Secret Library and acquire the first Artifact (which is still useless because the progress stops there for now).

Features (as of this entry):
-Secret tomes to collect for your hero to grow stronger.
-Rescuable units that will join your army
-1st boss to fight
-1st Artifact to acquire

Feedbacks are appreciated but I do know my map sucks...lol!

Attachments

• Farming #8 Contest Entry.w3x
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
Level 21
WiP #3 - Farming Contest Entry
While save points are a cool idea, the way they are now is way too easy to take advantage of. I was able to leave Vargas patrolling on and off of one while his army killed everything and was basically invincible. I suggest only allowing them to heal allies close to the hero, and putting the save points in secluded areas where there aren't any enemies (sort of like how Resident Evil games have safe rooms where the game can be saved on a typewriter).

I know I said it before, but this really doesn't feel like farming. Maybe if you mentioned the artifacts in the opening cinematic, then it would feel more like the primary purpose is to collect the artifacts. But I did really like your grammar in the cinematics :psmile:

Are you planning on adding skills to the hero, and possibly skills that the footmen and Zark can use as well?

Level 30
While save points are a cool idea, the way they are now are way too easy to take advantage of. I was able to leave Vargas patrolling on and off of one while his army killed everything and was basically invincible. I suggest only allowing them to heal allies close to the hero, and putting the save points in secluded areas where there aren't any enemies (sort of like how Resident Evil games have safe rooms where the game can be saved on a typewriter).

I know I said it before, but this really doesn't feel like farming. Maybe if you mentioned the artifacts in the opening cinematic, then it would feel more like the primary purpose is to collect the artifacts. But I did really like your grammar in the cinematics :psmile:

Are you planning on adding skills to the hero, and possibly skills that the footmen and Zark can use as well?

Yes, I'll still be adding skills on them. Thanks for the feedback. The artifacts will be metioned in my next WiP!:thumbs_up:

Level 25
Keeper of souls

I like it! I enjoyed it all the way up to level 2 where I died.

- Everything happens quite fast, and is overwhelming for new players. Add an easier level before level 1 to teach players about the map.
- The jump in difficulty to level 2 is very high. Suddenly many attacking units are spawning everywhere, and the picket defenses (archers i spawned to farm villagers) all died very quickly, and even my hero struggled to kill them.
- As has been mentioned, make the soul release ability more obvious - I only knew to do it from reading the comments in this thread.

Level 30
Here comes my WiP #4 with new places and also added Achievements that gives rewards for those who complete it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gameplay Screenshot 8.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 8.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10,143
  • Gameplay Screenshot 9.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 9.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 10,104
  • Gameplay Screenshot 10.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 10.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 9,994
  • Gameplay Screenshot 11.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 11.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 9,978
  • Gameplay Screenshot 12.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 12.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 9,911
  • Gameplay Screenshot 13.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 13.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 9,762
  • Gameplay Screenshot 14.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 14.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 9,645
Last edited:
Level 30
Good to see you on the contest, Daffa!

BTW, released more screenshot for my WIP #4 that includes the boss fight, the Library, the Cinematic for the first Artifact, and also the showing of the two shops, Blacksmith and Alchemist.

Level 21
Since we have over 20 days left, I'm about to try redoing the ugly triggering for my fishing system. This is partly a single player public test version and also a sort of backup map in case I screw things up.

Currently Lacking:
  • Quests
  • Event Rounds
  • Shop/Shop Items
  • Special Fishing Spots
  • Pathing for the Coral Island

All four rods are given at the start of this map for testing, but only wood will be available in the beginning for the final version.

Attachments

• Angler Hero PT1.w3x
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
Level 21
Yay! 15+ days left! I can still think of another idea for my map! I've partially made at least 5 maps already but each one of them rots in my hard drive.. I really need to make up my mind on which idea i'm gonna use... XD
I'd go with the one you feel like working on when you first wake up in the morning. Chances are you were dreaming about something related to it and have the most ongoing inspiration for it.

Level 30
I'd go with the one you feel like working on when you first wake up in the morning. Chances are you were dreaming about something related to it and have the most ongoing inspiration for it.

Good words. For unknown purpose that motivated me more :cgrin:

Orcnet said:
looks like I'll be joining the fun here and get all of your girlfriends

Now that will be nice to see you joining! :cgrin:

Level 18
Wip #1

My idea.. Metal Farming

You are the manager of a goblin mining company, your goal is to farm ore, smelt them into usable minerals and satisfy clients that want from the cheapest copper to the most difficult to obtain duraluminium allow...

Example: mine ore, smelt it and get 3 copper bars + 1 tin bar, smelt them into 4 bronze bars. (complete the contract, and spend the earned money in upgrades for any part of your factory)

Ok time for a first wip. My entry will have 3 zones, from which your units can't cross to each other (like miner going to the market, XD)

• Zone 1: the mine, here you control some gobling miners to get ore from the rocks in the tunnels. Don't worry you won't have to control the miners all the time, but check on them once in a while. The rocks already have the quality of materials you can get within each of them.
  • Zone 2: the factory, here you control the flow of materials by changing the directions of the arrows in the factory. Guide the ore to the smelter, then the ingots to the storehouse or to packaging if you will be selling them soon. Beware don't let rubbish go into your furnaces or the production will be wasted.
  • Zone 3: the market, get juicy contracts to produce certain alloy, buy interesting upgrades and expansions. Or just sell your remaining ingots for a small profit.

202681-albums6372-picture69052.png

202681-albums6372-picture69054.png

202681-albums6372-picture69053.png

Attachments

• AlloyGatherer_MiniMapContest_1.0.w3x
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
Level 21
Ok time for a first wip.
Very cool idea and is an interesing take on a mining game. I like how everything functions together in a realistic way (mining -> factory processing -> serving a purpose once finalized). I didn't exactly understand why the arrows in the factory would be used yet, but they seem to be functioning properly when their settings are changed. I'm assuming different ores will have to be routed to different buildings. Adding walls around the factory will make it feel more like the interior of a building.

I like the little carts that follow each miner :razz: Will they serve an actual purpose in the near future? You could use them to represent inventory slots added if nothing else.

Buying parts for the miners was a bit annoying when they took up an entire inventory slot. It made it feel like they weren't much of an upgrade, just a trade-off between an ore each run for a little extra time saved. I think it would be better if upgrades showed up on the miners as skills and could be upgraded more than once (different levels of the abilities?). Then inventory slots wouldn't need to be consumed, and you could do things like adding one inventory slot at a time per upgrade.

The little mini AI added to keep the miners auto-mining was nice. I'm sure it'll make it a lot easier to focus on other aspects of the game while the ores keep coming. Some issues with it were that my miner got stuck when I wasn't paying attention to it and the ores respawned and blocked his path. Also, the miners sometimes went to locations that were empty (no ores to mine) and just stood there.

Status
Not open for further replies.