• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: Farming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking terrain so far DeathChef
Oh thanks. Not realy sure if I would be able to find all the models I want to make it the way I want, although if I don't I'll find another way or may just give up on this contest all together. lol
WELCOME TO HELL!!!!
The mushrooms in flaming hot places. Doesn't really make much sence, although I don't know a lot about fungus.
I believe that this was judged as a negative last contest by Lordkoon. :q
Behold tree simulator 2013
I'll may be rooting for you. ;D

Level 25
Behold tree simulator 2013

View attachment 124897

It randomly grows trees that mutiply, grow old and die.
Now the question is, can anything remotely called gameplay emerge from it.

I see your tree simulator, and raise you a forest simulator.

attachment.php

You could maybe give the play control of rain or other natural forces, which you can use to help the forest grow. Like in Black & White, if you've ever played that.

Mine is shaping up to possibly become a Tree Tag-style game, with fighting trees and all :)

Attachments

• forceofnature010.w3x
    360.8 KB · Views: 64
  • forceofnaturewip2.jpg
    forceofnaturewip2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 283
Level 9
I see your tree simulator, and raise you a forest simulator.

attachment.php

You could maybe give the play control of rain or other natural forces, which you can use to help the forest grow. Like in Black & White, if you've ever played that.

Mine is shaping up to possibly become a Tree Tag-style game, with fighting trees and all :)

Uhmm, by simulator you guys mean that random stuff is generated in the map? like crops and such? thats a pretty neat idea, that way it is more realistic :p

Aye another day of work, heres the first "playable" WIP, i just did a few triggers, nothing big... Play the map and walk around, I was mostly working on terrain today and I still need a lot of work to do on the terrain but hey its playable now so go ahead and give it a shot :p

The map consist on gathering souls for Lucifer, the current gate keeper of the underworld went on vacation with his wife lady gaga and picked a evil soul to do his job, you play that evil soul.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

any feedback on how to make it look more like a hell-lookin' map?

Attachments

• asdassasa.png
    asdassasa.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
  • dasdssasd.png
    dasdssasd.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 372
  • sadsad.png
    sadsad.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 416
  • Keeper of Souls.w3x
    660.9 KB · Views: 50
Level 25
Uhmm, by simulator you guys mean that random stuff is generated in the map? like crops and such? thats a pretty neat idea, that way it is more realistic :p

No, in mine you "build" the plants yourself.

any feedback on how to make it look more like a hell-lookin' map?

It's already quite hell-looking :)

Only other thing I can suggest is a custom tileset to match your doodads.

Level 30
WiP 1 Screenshots for my game.... cant think of a name yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even the game focuses on collecting the three artifacts (changed four to three), there is still many optional things to collect such as Secret Tomes that makes the hero grow and also finding survivors to help you because I know you cant defeat a large army of Undead with just a small army of Knights.

More WiPs Screenshots will be coming. I might include puzles and traps in-game to make it fun so stay tuned. Feedbacks are appreciated!

Attachments

• Gameplay Screenshot 1.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10,419
  • Gameplay Screenshot 2.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 10,395
  • Gameplay Screenshot 3.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 10,362
  • Gameplay Screenshot 4.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 4.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 10,319
Level 23

I too was thinking along that line. The difference being I have a blank map with nothing done. :X

Level 30
God. Only rulerofiron focused on Farming.Juno and Hell_Master only focused on the other features of the map. Map has to be focused on Farming,JESUS.

Map does not need to be pure farming. If it has a farming component into its good. It is said in the first post that you create a map that you CAN INTERPRET AS FARMING... so pure or not its ok.

Level 4
Some suggestions give to rulerofiron99.
I don't think that a wisp will "eat a tree", which wisp is protecting the trees but also eating them...?
(ok, only one so "suggestion")

God. Only rulerofiron focused on Farming.Juno and Hell_Master only focused on the other features of the map. Map has to be focused on Farming,JESUS.

I am somewhat.... saddened by everybody forgetting me.

Update of my entry:

Crafting now exists.

Still gotta fix my code so no looking at how poorly made it is. :p

Attachments

• FiDL MiniMap.Contest #8.w3x
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
Level 25
Some suggestions give to rulerofiron99.
I don't think that a wisp will "eat a tree", which wisp is protecting the trees but also eating them...?
(ok, only one so "suggestion")

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with this just yet; I added that spell for the time being as a way to quickly get biomass.

In terms of theme, the idea is that you are your own forest, and all the trees already on the map aren't "part" of you, so it isn't like eating yourself.

I might go it the traditional wisp harvesting method, but for balance purposes I might want to destroy doodad trees. Or maybe convert them to the player's cause...

EDIT:

They only remembered me when I posted a screenie.

I'll take a look at your map when I get home.
(I could have sworn I edited this post originally...)

Last edited:
Level 4

Update of my entry:

Crafting now exists.

Still gotta fix my code so no looking at how poorly made it is. :p

OK. Let me have a look at your map.

First, what is this huge thing?!
225996-albums6298-picture68688.jpg

Then, I think it is just crafting (just like mine craft...:grin:), but not farming... Also I can't think how can I "farm" with the huge thing chasing me and lots of beast walking around.

Moreover, I think crafting needs too many metirals (am I spelling wrong?) to craft. I can't find enough metirals to craft. (I am not patient enough:xxd:)

On the other hand, I think the cinemaic is useless...:goblin_boom: Or maybe add some informaion that I will talk it now.

Last but not lease, I don't know how to gain points at all... So add it in the cinemaic.

Anyway, some of it is my own opinion, and sorry for lots of spelling mistakes if I have...:goblin_yeah:

EDIT: I am going to sleep, "All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:46 PM." So find me at "GMT +8, 04:00P.M." Good night =P

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

New wip

Here is my WIP#2 about my entry map Farm Wars

I've modified the design a bit (check thumbs)

The next WIP will be a functional map for atleast one player!

WHAT'S THE MAP
-UP to 4 players that compete in a farming & selling game
-First player to get X amount of gold wins

MAP CONCEPT
-Each player gets land that can be turned into a grand farm
-Players can plant patches that grow goods
-Players can research various tech for enhancing the plants
-Players can sell the goods to the market, earning their share

DETAILS
-This is a hidden demand and supply game into a farming concept. You maintain your farm of plants, harvest their goods and sell them.

-Plants sap water, and need to be watered. You can build a sprinkler around them or water them yourself or with your mules. If your plants have no water, they start to rot and diminish their own health. They also stop growing goods then. This makes the simple concept highly complex in should-be long games hence:
-> Lots of plants -> Lots of goods -> Lots of maintenance

-You can research tech about various plant challenges. The random vermin event will spawn vermin around your farm that will attack the plants - researching a thorn bush and planting one near your plants will take care of the vermin for you and save you lot of plants! The drought event will increase the water sapped by plants - building a sprinkler around your plants will constantly water them, preventing rotting and health loss...

-The market is constatnly being monitored for high demand and supply. Getting this information is critical, because this is a gold gain game, and you can use the high demand / low supply to your advantage. You can also spy on players, to see what are they feeding the market, allowing you to predict how long will it take before prices drop on a particular good.

LEFT TO BE DONE
-Races (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf, Naga) - each race will have its own unique feature that can aid the game in some fashion

-Mules (bought) - these animals will be quite the helping hand for you. They can collect goods, water plants and even chase away the vermin.

-Random Events (Drought, Vermin Infestation, Rain, Bountiful Harvest) - these are global events regarding conditions.

-Market (Supply/Demand) - As mentioned, market is gonna be the place where you sell your goods. If players constantly feed the same goods to the market, supply will increase and demand will drop, having the goods provided cost less and thus hurting your economy. Some plants have a price lock on them, so they can always be sold for same amounts however most of them are affected by the market.

-Black Market (Information) - Players can collect information about the possible random events, possible market supply/demand as well as spy on players to see what they are planting. This information is critical to a good successful farming and ... it costs ;)

Attachments

• farm_wars_WIP1-sentrywiz.jpg
    farm_wars_WIP1-sentrywiz.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 261
  • farm_wars_WIP3-sentrywiz.jpg
    farm_wars_WIP3-sentrywiz.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 179
  • farm_wars_WIP4-sentrywiz.jpg
    farm_wars_WIP4-sentrywiz.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 198
  • farm_wars_WIP5-sentrywiz.jpg
    farm_wars_WIP5-sentrywiz.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 196
  • farm_wars_WIP6-sentrywiz.jpg
    farm_wars_WIP6-sentrywiz.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 151
Level 18
I will try to join....

My idea.. Metal Farming

You are the manager of a goblin mining company, your goal is to farm ore, smelt them into usable minerals and satisfy clients that want from the cheapest copper to the most difficult to obtain duraluminium allow...

Example: mine ore, smelt it and get 3 copper bars + 1 tin bar, smelt them into 4 bronze bars. (complete the contract, and spend the earned money in upgrades for any part of your factory)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

@sentrywiz

Sounds good!

In your first screenshot I notice you're using floating texts - you know there's a limit of 100, right?

No I didn't.

Thank you for telling me.
I was looking for some way to limit the mass production of farms per player. You have given me that - hence 4 players, 100 max text = 25 patches per player. That will also allow me to add a "sell patch" button

Many thanks!

Level 14
I didn't like the theme in the first place because it's too 'strict'. Also it will be boring to see ten entries with farming some carrots.

It's even more boring to judge 10 boss fights when the diffrence between them is more or less the used models.

This contest requires CREATIVITY, and checking back the last 7 map contests/mini-contests this one is the first where killing an enemy is not mandatory. Unless contestants make it so.
Otherwise people might as well use one of their dungeon entries and add 'farmed loot' and call it a day.
The only dungeon with interesting (altho optional) farming I remember was the Expansion Sentinel campaign with Maiev, where she must gather 12 orb fragments hidden or placed in pretty unique to reach locations.
So to those who make dungeon-gathering map, please make it interesting and involving.

Level 23
It's even more boring to judge 10 boss fights when the diffrence between them is more or less the used models.

This contest requires CREATIVITY, and checking back the last 7 map contests/mini-contests this one is the first where killing an enemy is not mandatory. Unless contestants make it so.

Agreed. Tbh we need even more vague topics like "Life" and let people come up with whatever.

Level 30

Otherwise people might as well use one of their dungeon entries and add 'farmed loot' and call it a day.
The only dungeon with interesting (altho optional) farming I remember was the Expansion Sentinel campaign with Maiev, where she must gather 12 orb fragments hidden or placed in pretty unique to reach locations.
So to those who make dungeon-gathering map, please make it interesting and involving.

Maybe adding puzzles (Well, VK said that Puzzles can be included) and Achievements that gives great rewards?

Level 25
No I didn't.

Thank you for telling me.
I was looking for some way to limit the mass production of farms per player. You have given me that - hence 4 players, 100 max text = 25 patches per player. That will also allow me to add a "sell patch" button

Many thanks!

No problem :)

There is a workaround for the 100 limit - to limit it to 100 per player, by creating the floating text in a local block.

Level 25
Query

The model I'm using for the roots is an edit (removed emitter, spaced out roots a bit more) of Callahan's "Invasion Vine" model. I have asked him for permission, but there has been no response yet. His last online activity (03-11-2013) seems to indicate that he's inactive.

May I still use my edit? The model's page does not explicitly deny edits, and this model is an important part of my map.

Level 30
WiP # 2 is here. Added the Save Point system where you can revive here when died and also fully heal your army, more places and also Traps!:thumbs_up:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am still working on making the survivors. Survivors are rescuable units that will help you in the game. Will also add Quests and Achievements!

Feedbacks are appreciated.

Attachments

• Gameplay Screenshot 5.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 5.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 10,231
  • Gameplay Screenshot 6.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 6.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 10,195
  • Gameplay Screenshot 7.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 7.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 10,179
Level 6
Long time no Warcraft... This should spark me getting back into it.

Count me in... I think I have an idea for something after toying around with the editor for a few hours.

23sdux.jpg

Edit: This is the starting area. The character has the ability to Interact and Inspect almost any object in the game to acquire items to then combine into other things that help you solve puzzles and gather advanced materials.

Last edited:
Level 21
Query

The model I'm using for the roots is an edit (removed emitter, spaced out roots a bit more) of Callahan's "Invasion Vine" model. I have asked him for permission, but there has been no response yet. His last online activity (03-11-2013) seems to indicate that he's inactive.

May I still use my edit? The model's page does not explicitly deny edits, and this model is an important part of my map.
Callahan never seemed to worry about edits as long as he was credited. Not only that, but the model still basically looks the same in your map, and any number of things can hide emitters in-game anyway (lighting, tinting, size, etc.).
Feedbacks are appreciated.
Well if you want more brownie points in the farming theme, you might want to consider focusing more on the artifacts the player needs to collect over armies at war. Maybe give a dire reason for collecting the artifacts, like the hero needs them to survive? And so do the undead to preserve their life-force.

Status
Not open for further replies.