• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contests: Farming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
hey guys, is it okay if the "gathering" of things is not the main objective? like you have to gather sumthing to get stronger to defeat the final boss?

I think its perfectly fine, if the goal is not boring like "coolect 1000 bags of potato" but you have to use the collected material to Win the game.

Not only its okay, but its encouraged to create such gameplay.

~Independent opinion, im not the host.

Level 4
It seems that the obvious "farming" system would be the most original of all of these... No one's suggested doing the obvious. Good luck, I hope I can judge some of your guy's work! And if you need help, I've already got one of these in its final stages, not for contest, though. Contact me for help!

Level 23
Well, made some progress today so..

222907-albums6224-picture68365.jpg

222907-albums6224-picture68364.jpg

222907-albums6224-picture68366.jpg

Level 10
He's clearly thinking outside of the box just as I am. Of course it is counted as farming. It would be boring to have 10 type of games with crops, rakes and farms.
[rainbow]:ogre_frown: -> :ogre_icwydt: -> :ogre_hurrhurr:
Agreed :wink: but do hope that there are still someone doing such a game
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
@juno, you've even done the cinematic :goblin_good_job:
:vw_unimpressed:I haven't start my map yet...[/rainbow]

Level 16
Now this is an epic idea, I sure hope some puzzle maps come out of this! :3. Besides, Aeroblyctos is considering joining, I'm excited now. =D
@Juno, I like the fact that the orbs are not an item stack, but more of an ability, my guess is the ability improves as u gather more orbs?.. anyway I'm anticipating good outcome from this one =3 good luck contestants.

Offtopic: After reading the thread.. i want to ask.. Is the member Almia the THW police around here? I had no idea :D

Level 30
Ok, I'll start now! Here's my ideas, heroes will collect 4 artifact from artifact keepers. These artifacts are once said to make a normal human a god.

As I have said, these artifacts are guarded by Artifact Keepers known as Bosses. I am planning to make these bosses differently like one boss you will battle it, one will make you solve a puzzle, one will give you a quest that involves you more on collecting items, and the other one.... I am not sure yet but maybe I'll make it a survival.... the main goal of this game is to collect 4 artifacts. Other than that, there are more collecting involved like to get one of the artifact and also some Optional Quests.

So, guys is this a good idea?

Level 30
Sorry for the double post but here is my WiP #1 Screenshots.

To give you all more informations about the game. You are Arnold, a villager who lives at a simple vilage. You are one of the many people who wants to get their hands in the Artifacts. Your own purpose on getting the Artifacts is to be as powerful as Gods but that purpose will change.... My game is like an Adventure that the main goal is to collect the 4 Artifacts. In your adventure, you will encounter Optional Quests involving more collecting and Artifact Keepers that guards the Artifacts. To acquire them, they will give you different task involving many things and not just Collecting but also solving puzzle, fighting them, answering questions and more.... That's all for the info but don't worry because the game still involves many Collecting so maybe it can be called Farming with a story in it!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any feedbacks is appreciated! But these are just the start, more screenshots coming.

Attachments

• Gameplay Screenshot 1.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Gameplay Screenshot 2.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Gameplay Screenshot 3.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 3.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Gameplay Screenshot 4.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 4.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 296
  • Gameplay Screenshot 5.jpg
    Gameplay Screenshot 5.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 303
Level 14
hey guys, is it okay if the "gathering" of things is not the main objective? like you have to gather sumthing to get stronger to defeat the final boss?

Read carefully the contest description. Your main goal is to gather stuff not fight a boss. Do them both but focus on the gathering, not on triggering a spectacular dragon... or whatever boss you make.

Level 25
You are a young forest, trying your hardest to grow tall enough to be selected for Cenarious' elite Force of Nature. Gather biomass and water from your surroundings to grow large and strong, and maybe one day you'll be able to call yourself an Ancient.

You are literally a bunch of trees, and you can train wisps using water resource, to plant saplings in the soil around the forest. Roots can drain biomass from grass and small plants nearby. Water is gathered from rivers and rainfall. Uproot trees into treants to fight off invaders, and use spells like Tranquility to put out forest fires.

I haven't coded a single line yet, though.

Level 23
You are a young forest, trying your hardest to grow tall enough to be selected for Cenarious' elite Force of Nature. Gather biomass and water from your surroundings to grow large and strong, and maybe one day you'll be able to call yourself an Ancient.

You are literally a bunch of trees, and you can train wisps using water resource, to plant saplings in the soil around the forest. Roots can drain biomass from grass and small plants nearby. Water is gathered from rivers and rainfall. Uproot trees into treants to fight off invaders, and use spells like Tranquility to put out forest fires.

I haven't coded a single line yet, though.

You took the words out of my mouth...

On the flip side, it shows that Im not the only one thinking along that line of ideas.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm in.

I'm great for designing ridiculously based maps.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

WIP#1

Farm Wars

I've made my farming map concept.

What the map is about:

- Up to 4 players that compete in farming fruits and vegetables
- Selling goods on the market
- A supply/demand market, prices drop and rise

What can players do:

- Plant patches of up to 8 fruits and vegetables
- Spy on other players and the market itself
- Buy mules to speed your harvesting process
- Buy guards to protect your farms from bandit raid events
- Bribe bandits to leave your farm alone (and pillage other player farms)
- Random events (bandit raid, harvest moon, locust swarm, crop flood...)

So far so good!
farm_wars_01.jpg
farm_wars_02.jpg
farm_wars_03.jpg

Level 19
^Looks awzumly promising! :)

I'm not going to participate due to lack of skills with triggers and a busy lifestyle, but I'd love to give suggestions - like a game where the player must control one/several vermin and the goal is to eat the fruits and vegetables on a farm without being discovered by the angry farmers - just an idea tho :)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

^Looks awzumly promising! :)

I'm not going to participate due to lack of skills with triggers and a busy lifestyle, but I'd love to give suggestions - like a game where the player must control one/several vermin and the goal is to eat the fruits and vegetables on a farm without being discovered by the angry farmers - just an idea tho :)

Well the design is about controlling farmers, but I was missing the word for the random event. Vermin Infestation! Thanks, you helped

Level 25
@rulerofiron So what's the other resource? there's water then?

BTw, that Looks awesome can't wait to try it out.. :3

The two resources are water and biomass.

Trees generate biomass automatically from sunlight, but there will be other ways of getting it, such as harvesting it from the nearby grass and such.

EDIT: Attached is a playable WIP.

Attachments

• forceofnature004.w3x
    51.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
^Nah I've only posted a couple of screenshots for one or two contests as wip proof before.
I would think that you are safe. :3

__
Also I thought that I would post the first thew stages of me making my map.
It only involves the terrains height leveling and pathing indication for me to help myself set it all out.

I'll post more wips when I could be bothered. You guys are never gonna guess what I am doing. :3
Oh yes and involves water as another clue.

Attachments

• .5.w3x
    44.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Level 9
Contestants have to create a game where the main goal must focus on gathering materials, resources, items, and anything the contestant can interpret as 'Farming'...anything the contestant can interpret as 'Farming'.... anything the contestant can interpret as 'Farming'....anything the contestant can interpret as 'Farming'.

Awwww yeah! I got some pretty rad ideas!

gl everyone! :B

-Edit, I worked on somethin real quick and I will continue it tomorrow morning I am about to pass out right now ahahaha... Here is my first WIP.

WELCOME TO HELL!!!!

Attachments

• wip1.png
    wip1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Level 30
Ok, I have changed my game to a less consuming time. So, I have another pretty idea... first, telling you the story:

"You are a great warrior named Lord Vargas sent in a long mission. Your mission went pretty well and you are planning to return to the Castle to celebrate your success but an unexpected event happened while you are gone.... Armies of undead broke through the castle's defense, killed the Knights defending the castle and all townsfolks and even the ruler, its King was slain.

Now, as you return to the Castle... all is in ruin, corpse everywhere and stench of death sorrounds the thin air. You are losing hope but you have known that four great Artifacts were kept in the Castle and only those can defeat the Death Lord and save your castle from being an outpost to the undead!

You have to fight bravely and acquire the Artifacts that was kept in the Castle. Fight through armies of dead and maybe you can also find survivors that might help you fight with the Undead."

So, this is my idea. It focuses in collecting four great artifacts that can defeat the Undead and also if you want to make the game easier... find Survivors and let them join you! WiP Screenshots later!

Level 14
I should not be saying this before the judging but Juno , your entry right now looks more fit for a Dungeon contest. It just looks like clearing a dungeon with loot of orbs as reward, replace the orbs by any items and it still won't be much farming-like map. (In ORPG's you 'farm' dungeons for items, sets, gold , etc. but they are still dungeon crawers)

My suggestion is to be more creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.