• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
if only you can mention any other maps that is more fun than mine except the legendary dota, then I can accept it.

Fun can be different for different people. Your map has a high APM (action per minute) requirement, which is hard for me to enjoy because I have a mild case of RSI (repetitive strain injury) on my wrists, so the amount of clicking I can do before being in pain is limited. That is why I prefer slower maps like TDs, where I just need to make a decision or two every minute (what tower to build where) and then click a few times to place it.

Nothing really excites me for my hard work, and honestly, I'm really really disappointed.

The unfortunate reality is that hard work doesn't always mean that it'll be very good or enjoyable.

But I will tell you what does excite me about the hard work I put into my maps: seeing it in action. After spending a few hours making a system and another few hours fixing bugs, watching it work is a great feeling, something I value much more than positive comments. I really couldn't care less if everyone said my map is shit; I enjoyed making and playing it myself and that's what matters to me.

it's indeed really impressive to be honest, especially if you also tried to make same movement system by yourself, then you could understand how impressive is the result.

I'm sorry, but no, it simply isn't.

Code:
loop:
setunitx = getunitx + dx
setunity = getunity + dy

accelerate on click:
set dx = acceleration * cos(angle to point)
set dy = acceleration * sin(angle to point)
(projectile impact will look like this as well)

braking loop:
tempspeed = sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2)
tempspeed = tempspeed - deceleration
tempspeed = tempspeed * decelerationfactor
tempangle = atan2(dy/dx)
set dx = tempspeed * cos(tempangle)
set dy = tempspeed * sin(tempangle)

I've left out the collision system and the part where units get knocked over the edge smoothly, but that's that gist of it, and it would take a competent coder all of a few minutes to make, and a bit longer to fine-tune the values.

What might be impressive for you might not be impressive for someone else, you have to accept this.

I've spent a good few hours over the last 2 days trying to fix the basic peon model to work for my projectile system, and I know that experienced modelers can both point out why it has issues, and make something better in a few short minutes.

You shouldn't leave over this. I can see that you're a competent coder, and there is always a project somewhere that needs coding skills.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

But I will tell you what does excite me about the hard work I put into my maps: seeing it in action. After spending a few hours making a system and another few hours fixing bugs, watching it work is a great feeling, something I value much more than positive comments. I really couldn't care less if everyone said my map is shit; I enjoyed making and playing it myself and that's what matters to me.

This is very true, I enjoy making all the kind of systems, I won't even upload most of 'em, instead I use them in my own maps.

Then when it comes to uploading maps, I've never uploaded a map on hive (people here usually criticize maps and nitpick), I prefer uploading it to mmh (makemehost.com), then hosting it and get live feedback, as the game goes on.

Edit:
units get knocked over the edge smoothly
if you mean like how they dont go instantly to bottom, it's like this:
JASS:
library myLibrary
    globals
        private constant location L = Location(0,0)
    endglobals
    function SetUnitZ takes unit u, real height returns nothing
        call MoveLocation(L, GetUnitX(u), GetUnitY(u)) //z height of terrain belove u
        call SetUnitFlyHeight(u, height-GetLocationZ(L), 0) //minus the height of terrain, it automatically raises the unit z already
    endfunction
endlibrary

Level 28
@Dalvengry

I fully understand how you worked hard on your submission and how great it turns out. The problem here is that you talks to much about how hard you made your systems and how much time you put on it blah blah blah and how awesome(in your opinion, yes because you're talking on your perspective) your map is.

That is not really your call because this is a contest and its the Judges job. Also you should really accept people's criticism and opinion because if you don't want to then go ahead and take down that map and just praise it yourself. For Fishcake sake this is the internet.

Level 25
Ah I see the confusion,
Code:
set dx = acceleration * cos(angle to point)
set dy = acceleration * sin(angle to point)

Should be:
Code:
set dx = [U]dx +[/U] acceleration * cos(angle to point)
set dy = [U]dx +[/U] acceleration * sin(angle to point)

And that is why you add a few minutes for bug fixing ;)

Anyway I'm going to stop responding to you.

PS: You clearly haven't taken a look at my ice racing map.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
@jay:
of course I accept critism, I will just keep silent and let it got if only he did not say this
I'm sorry, but no, it simply isn't.
because it can be translated
He said that something I have been working at for more than 24 hours can actually be done in several minutes. I just need him to prove it
and I just feel embarassed about it, I think it's normal..

The problem here is that you talks to much about how hard you made your systems and how much time you put on it
as far as I remember I have only said it twice.

it and how awesome(in your opinion, yes because you're talking on your perspective) your map is.
and I never said that my entry is awesome, I just said I have done my best :) okay I have talked too much.

EDIT:
PS: You clearly haven't taken a look at my ice racing map.
I have even checked deeply into the code. just far different between mine and yours. I think you haven't tried to understand how mine works.

Level 28
of course I accept critism, I will just keep silent and let it got if only he did not say this

Sometimes you just have to let it slide especially if you're confident that they are wrong.

as far as I remember I have only said it twice.

Yes but you're exaggerating too much I have no idea why you can't realize it yourself but it really looks like that. Its a great thing that you did your best but sometimes you should just keep it to yourself.

and I never said that my entry is awesome

Even though you didn't directly said it your other posts is suggesting it.

This post is a great example:

THIS MOVEMENT SYSTEM IS FAR BEYOND WHAT YOU HAVE THINK ABOUT

unless if you actually mean it as a lousy sarcasm.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
THIS MOVEMENT SYSTEM IS FAR BEYOND WHAT YOU HAVE THINK ABOUT
unless if you actually mean it as a lousy sarcasm.
uhm, okay, it's stupid words of mine :p okay, honestly and personally, I think I'm just too over impressed with the result, I think that's why I can't accept certain posts...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

And we all know how important friendly fire is.
Especially if you're the one who wants to play seriously xD Dem memories..

Level 25
Looking forward to it.

I'm having a fairly productive evening.

Added:
- Grab ability (researchable ability) - Besides peons, you can grab trees or rocks from rock chunks.
- Tree projectile - Grabbed trees can either be eaten (replaces eat tree ability) or thrown as a wide-collision projectile.
- Peon throw - now has a debuff that causes nearby enemies to flee in terror.
- Seeds (researchable passive) - When you eat a tree, you get some seeds. Seeds can be planted in the ground, and become trees after a minute. Need to figure out something to prevent exploiting this by spamming trees while just kiting the last remaining creep. Will probably just make a build limit per round.
- Fixed up most tooltips to look a bit better and be more informative.

On the cards:
- Pool of water item (spawns during rain - weather system to be added) - can be cast on enemies to slow them
- Bunch of leaves (spawns from dead trees with a passive ability) - cast on enemies to confuse them, causing them to randomly attack any nearby unit

Some enemies will also drop usable items, this should keep the gameplay fresh throughout the levels.

I suppose I shouldn't reveal too much; leave at least something to discover.

Well, that is just awesome. I assume you and probably Tickles (where is he anyway?) are going to the top 3 :D

So, just a quick wip, to show you what I have in mind :)

Ambients:
  • Forest (started making it, a demo is in this wip)
  • Dungeon (yet to come)
  • Crypt (didn't make it yet)
  • Caverns (nope, this neither)

PRESS ESC TO GENERATE TERRAIN.

Expect more decorative doodads, more shapes of the room architecture and more stuff in general. This is just what I made after an hour of work.

Attachments

• MMC9.w3x
    887.5 KB · Views: 81
Level 25
He's probably spending every waking moment working on his entry :p

I should too.

- I like the tree shapes and paths. Do you have some complex formula or is the nice result I got just from a few lucky randoms?
- Terrain tiling has good spread, but you should include some 1x1 spots. It hurts my eyes when I see the traditional size 2 worldedit circle shape everywhere.

Level 3
Hey, I decided to give this a try aswell.
I've had some ideas that I wanted to try out for a while and this is a nice opportunity to do just that.

One of these ideas is slightly similar to one of your heroes matija, I'm sorry, but I'll stick to it anyways.
I hope I will finish something for once, so bear with me, please!

Here's a small WIP:

Attachments

• IslandThingy.png
    IslandThingy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 158

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Maps are most likely to be abandoned, in the worst case scenario, you change your modding format completely, e.g. you switch from GUI to vJASS and your map is already full of GUI.

Edit: I mean they have the highest possibility to be abandoned..

Level 13
Maps are most likely to be abandoned, in the worst case scenario, you change your modding format completely, e.g. you switch from GUI to vJASS and your map is already full of GUI.

Edit: I mean they have the highest possibility to be abandoned..

Most important here in NO LEAK / NO LAG / GOOD GAMEPLAY
You can use GUI or vJASS or whatever

Level 14
I will try to make Y.A.M.B.
Because there is no Y.A.M.B in 32/32 with tiny cute marines and random terrain generation

Very early beta attached.
The armies are constituted of three types of marines.
The base marines with just an simple ranged attack
The area damage marines and the single target debuff marines.
There is currently no objectives.
Fast patch now the circle does things try to bring marines into them.
Corrected some bugs.
Added veteran system.
Now it have an random terrain generation system.
Toyed around with the random generator.
Corrected terrain generator bugs.
Added mercenaries so you can use your gold.
Things who make you gain gold: loosing units and having units at the middle.
Made an end for the game the one with the most gold wins after the end of the timer.
You can choose all the timers if you are the red player by typing -nameofthetimeranumber
The spawn interval timer is called spawn
The middle control income timer is called main
The ending timer is called end.
Never a+click the middle without thinking because the three beacon bowl(see the infomercial episode related to that) removes one of your marines when you put two inside.
The tank no longer have this ability.
New effects when putting units in Beacon bowl.
Mini tutorial to my map how does works beacon bowl:
When you have one of your own units in a beacon bowl and that you bring another of your units inside the first unit is removed and the other gains a power depending of the beacon bowl.
If that unit with a power benefits again from the same beacon bowl he gains an cast-able ability. an unit can benefit of all beacon bowl powers you make it take there is no problem having an unit with powers of holy, gunpowder and useless at the same time(except the fact you have removed from existence three innocent little marines. You are like a monster after having done this).
135640d1401459026-mini-mapping-contest-9-map-size-limited-wc3scrnshot_053014_153141_01.jpg

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_053014_153141_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_053014_153141_01.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 531
  • Marine blood.w3x
    24.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29

microrunnertd

jNATwPC.png

Intro Cinematic

This is my final entry for now.

Build towers on the grass near the streets. At the beginning of each round you will spawn a runner - if the creeps kill your runners, you lose!

Good luck to all participants.

• Some towers automatically cast active abilities. These were intended to be given passive icons with dummy abilities.
    1. Arch and Archmage "Forked Lightning"
    2. Executor Riding Sleipnir, Goblin Tinker, Goblin Alchemist "Haste"
    3. Kobold Geomancer "Mudwave"
  • A new runner is spawned every round. It was my intention to respawn the same runner so you can use one custom hotkey per game. Didn't have time for this.
  • Some bosses are uninteresting. I intended to give them abilities.
    1. Bandito Masterino an Ensnare ability
    2. Dyslexic Kountain Ming should Storm bolt (stun) a player's tower
    3. Hermione Granger should lay eggs, or have phase shift.

• There's a ship and a waterfall in the top right corner of the map
  • There's a demon hiding inside the building in the middle house. Move your builder on top of it to reveal him
  • The man behind the building on the bottom left of the map is smoking
  • The regular ordinary villager on the bottom right does some actions when you click it
  • You can critically strike the frog by clicking it
  • Many tower names, creep names, tower descriptions, and tooltips are intentionally hilarious

(Credits list in Quest Menu)

---

Version 1.0.0c added (fixed one bug and made minor tweaks)

---

Note: This map is hosted on makemehost and Clan ENT

Attachments

• (2)microrunnertd1.0.0a.w3x
    846.8 KB · Views: 240
  • (2)microrunnertd1.0.0b.w3x
    850.9 KB · Views: 135
  • (2)microrunnertd1.0.0c.w3x
    851.5 KB · Views: 1,698
Last edited:
Level 16
Last edited:
Level 16
No, making it intense will just add unnecessary clutter and chaos on the screen, with not much strategical purpose but avoid bad stuff. This more about strategy and precision and execution. Also most bad stuff is really almost if not 1 shot, depending on if you're tank, and you don't really waste gold, all consumables are given back on failure or victory ;>

Edit: Also bosses will also get more "intense" or harder and add more complex mechanics and stuff the further u progress.

No, making it intense will just add unnecessary clutter and chaos on the screen, with not much strategical purpose but avoid bad stuff. This more about strategy and precision and execution. Also most bad stuff is really almost if not 1 shot, depending on if you're tank, and you don't really waste gold, all consumables are given back on failure or victory ;>

Edit: Also bosses will also get more "intense" or harder and add more complex mechanics and stuff the further u progress.

You should still merge your posts instead of double-posting.

Level 2
This looks like a good way to get into the community here, so I'll make my first (real) attempt at making a map this contest. Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll give it some thought at work tonight, and after a few days I should get some WIP shown.

Map Idea: 1v1 semi turn-based (you get actions that recharge over time) strategy game where you move and attack the opposing units with the goal of killing the enemy hero.
(I know this is a terrible description, and I will work on improving it)

Edit: Added WIP Pics 1&2 and map idea
Edit2: Added WIP Demo map (Note: VERY rudimentary - this simply contains a rough demo of the movement system, and really isn't much at all.)

Attachments

• WIP1.png
    WIP1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
  • WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 213
  • Battlegrid WIP1.w3x
    26.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Good luck editor :) you got plenty of time so don't stress too much about it!

Best way to represent your wip progress is via screenshots, some lazy people (me) are too lazy to open up map files :p

Hello everyone,

If you have done your "final entry" but you feel like still modifying it, do so. We still have ample time before the deadline. Use the post you already have(The post you say that it is your final entry) for newer updates and don't forget to add some change log thing there, also. Though you can have new posts, but for final entry, if possible, use only one post so as not to confuse everyone on your "final" entry.

Thank you.

Level 9
My WIP entry

Okay sir.., This is my entry.., The title is not even done yet.., hahaha.., but here's the story:

Three elemental Pandas working at their father's PUB wants to set out for an adventure of their lives. Sadly, their father won't allow them for he thinks their not responsible enough. To prove their willingness, they have to work at the PUB on their own and gain enough money before their father changes his mind. (Depending on the game difficulty) Will they be able to chase their dream journey? Or be a PUB worker forever?

This WIP is only some of the terrain and custom units.

Attachments

• The Pandaren Pub.w3x
    23.2 KB · Views: 90
Level 25

Aside from the blacksmith, that terrain is excellent.

EDIT:
attachment.php

Making progress on custom minimap. The tree icons will disappear when the trees die, so the minimap will more accurately reflect the game state.

Next I need to get a nice hero/unit icon.

Attachments

• minimappreview.jpg
    minimappreview.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

EDIT:
attachment.php

Making progress on custom minimap. The tree icons will disappear when the trees die, so the minimap will more accurately reflect the game state.

Next I need to get a nice hero/unit icon.

Oh god that looks sexy, hope you get a reward :)

Edit: Out of interest, how did you make it?

Level 25
1. Make a screenshot of the terrain (without trees) and set it as war3mapMap.blp
2. Add a alpha channel border to the lumber icon, make it 16x16 and import
3. At map init set special minimap icon to the icon
  • Neutral Building - Change the special minimap icon to war3mapImported\tree5.blp
4. Apply it to units:
  • Neutral Building - Turn special minimap icon On for (Last created unit)
It isn't strictly an icon for a tree, but rather for a unit on top of the tree. With ~100 trees in the map, it won't reduce performance.

Alternatively you can use gold mines or shops, and overwrite their icons.

EDIT:

The important bit here is that I've added a system that adds a casting time to item usage, so there is an actual animation instead of just a projectile flying off.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Rule question: I'm using a tree model from the Russian site: http://xgm.guru/p/wc3/rotlktrees
Thing is, I can't properly credit the creator since my worldedit doesn't accept Russian characters.

How exactly should I credit him?
I can't find where the creator name is in that page :D
Anyway, i guess you can just write his name with latin characters and write (xgm.ru) after that... If you don't know cyrilic, you can write the name here, i'll tell you how it's written in latin characters.
Nice tree btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.