• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent idea, it should definitely level the playing field between single and multi player maps.

Time to fix my code for MP!

EDIT: Attached is playable up to 8 waves. Have a bash and let me know how it goes. Besides the missile system, it's more or less a regular defense map.

The map is nice, however, I have some suggestions:
- Don't use the egg. I can make the model of the rock for you (if that isn't considered teamwork, of course), but please, just don't use the egg.
- Add a melee attack ability (such as a ground slam or similar).
- When the missile hits the ground and the dust sfx appears, add aoe damage.
- Add other missile types? Hurl trees, or grab and toss orcs?

Anyway, this entry is really original. Best of luck :)

Level 25
The map is nice, however, I have some suggestions:
- Don't use the egg. I can make the model of the rock for you (if that isn't considered teamwork, of course), but please, just don't use the egg.
- Add a melee attack ability (such as a ground slam or similar).
- When the missile hits the ground and the dust sfx appears, add aoe damage.
- Add other missile types? Hurl trees, or grab and toss orcs?

Anyway, this entry is really original. Best of luck :)

Thanks!

1. I would greatly appreciate that. I used the egg instead of the normal boulder since I didn't want it to roll around on the spot. A custom model would be the ideal solution.
2. There are the following upgrades for melee: cleaving attack, knockback (can both be used together). There's also (eventually) the entangling roots ability, which is an aoe root. Maybe I'll add the ability to consume a boulder to deal damage directly in front of you, or something like that.
3. That's handled similarly by an upgrade that causes boulders to explode on impact. I'll add a further upgrade that causes exploded boulders to keep going a bit longer.
4. Brilliant idea! Can't wait to toss some peons around :)

Edit: Found a decent (IMO) stone model ( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/stonesmall-88925/ ) in the model section, so no need anymore. Not sure why I replaced the egg texture before doing a search, lol.

Last edited:
Level 2
My WIP,i'm busy with real life so i just finished with the terrain. I'll make a single player boss fight with a diffrent phases and ending for every time u completed / not completing a certain condition.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_052414_141145_01.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • WC3ScrnShot_052414_142906_02.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • WC3ScrnShot_052414_150712_03.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • WC3ScrnShot_052614_134104_01.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
A bit of an update from me:
Room system: The Dungeon consist of an infinite number of rooms. Each room is evaluated with 2 parameters:
Required players, which is very self-explanatory.
Difficulty, which is represented with a value from 1 to 100.
The party starts with 10 Experience. Each time the party completes a room succesfully, it gains some Experience. Each time the party fails to do so, it loses some Experience.
Next room is selected somewhere within the radius of (Experience + or - 5), but considering the Required players parameter.
The rooms contain all kinds of challenges, including Boss-fights, Arenas, Defenses, Puzzles and more.

Level 14
That would be fun, but is it possible to play during day (or evening, which ever Eubz prefer) for GMT + 8? (Philippines and Indonesian [Middle] Timezone)

That's what is I'm concerned about, since I'm on that Timezone (and yeah, no midnight gaming allowed here, so yeah.)

We usually play in the evening GMT+2, and play as long as there are players. So probably it would be an early Sunday morning for you :)

But these is only the boundries of the inwc Funmap Evening. We could create a special, own evening for the contest with a time that is good for most of the contestants and judges. I suggested Funmap Evenings, because they have a consistent player base, and with the hostbots everything is running nice and smooth there :)

Level 17
Finally decided on the direction of my map--

It will be a survival map with a few classes.

You will have 3 stats -- Holy Water - Sanity - Divinity
If you get low enough divinity or sanity you go rogue. (Low Divinity is given an option)

Also really looking forward to some of these entries.

Level 6
Oh wait i have a prob,my comp just resently have a critcal error now i cant load my comp. Luckly i backed it up so i still have time for the contest but first i have to reformat it so still im not knocked ot for the contest.

Reason:i was working on my.loading screen then when i open the wc3 viewer it crashed.

We usually play in the evening GMT+2, and play as long as there are players. So probably it would be an early Sunday morning for you :)

But these is only the boundries of the inwc Funmap Evening. We could create a special, own evening for the contest with a time that is good for most of the contestants and judges. I suggested Funmap Evenings, because they have a consistent player base, and with the hostbots everything is running nice and smooth there :)

That would be nice, I'll let Eubz decide.

Level 5
@sigelang & Judges(you = sigelang)

Thanks for posting WIP's using our materials before you asked us to get permission to use them.. so you already extracted them without our permission and used them without our permission..
Next time take care who you are ripping materials of without permission. Thanks.

Paranoia said:
[...]
This map is protected! Please don't edit or export files of it. Thank you very much. :)
[...]
Original Map: Paranoia
By Grievous1, pkw and me.

In case you gotta upload the map unprotected please remove our models - we don't want them to be public. And well eubz(one of the Judges) already answered this here.
So please remove our models, textures and stuff - everything you ripped from our material of Paranoia.

@Mods
Sorry for Offtopic

On topic / @all:

And well.. don't focus too much on terrain, triggers and stuff.
Focus mostly on gameplay and your entry will be fine. Cool terrain would be fine, but in this age of time gameplay is what counts. ;)

Kinda like GreeN!X entry seems interesting, even with standard models of warcraft III - just the use of some textures for UI.

Or the entry from Tickles seems interesting too. Maybe he should make the terrain generated in the rooms automatically. Reminds me alot of "The Binding of Isaac"^^

I like the other ones too but these two are most interesting for me - although i didn't read through the whole thread.

I won't participate in this contest anyway - not active in warcraft III mapping anymore :/ although this contest is a very nice idea :)

ModoX~

Level 25
Somehow I feel this is going to make Top 3.

*blush*

That WIP will take a bit longer than anticipated; fixing the code for multiplayer is taking a while. A good reminder to always make your code more flexible from the start.

I've also written down a few ideas for additional attack ammo types. Some will also be able to be combined with others, but I'm torn on whether or not to list all the possibilities in the tooltips. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, sometimes it's more exciting to discover these things. But on the other hand, as happened in a previous contest, I poured several hours into a system that the judge didn't even see.

What do you prefer?

Level 25
Make a handbook named 'Judge's post-review notes' where you will describe everything you made. I'm gonna go with that, anyway :)

Second hero is done, one more and I am posting the WIP.

Great idea, best of both worlds :)

Looks like I'll be able to finish changing the code for multiplayer tonight. That is, if there are no new bugs to sort out. In that case it might take a week.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I'm getting out of my comfort zone and doing something very unusual with this project. I'm focusing as much as I can on aesthetics and design rather than just programming cool stuff.

This is probably some of the best terrain I've done, hope it's appreciated by some. I know it's nothing particularly good.

I hope to finish the techtree for a second race by the end of tomorrow, at which point the map will essentially be a final for the contest.

LDa6ExT.jpg

I look forward to testing it out with you guys soon, @Edo, IcemanBo :)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Nice job, the terrain looks gorgeous :)

Level 25
@Cokemonkey
I can see that you take time to place every doodad instead of just spamming. I like this type of terraining - minimal doodads just to spice it up a bit, while leaving the map very functional. The footsteps are a great touch :)
I suggest spacing out the houses on the left so that the don't overlap, or adjust their sizes so the the overlap isn't visible.
Maybe add a fence or something in the foreground.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Finally got started on the peon throwing ability, but wow it looks horrible.

Anyone know how I can replace the stand animation with e.g. the walk animation? The peon is a special effect attached to a dummy unit, so I cannot animate it normally.

You should be able to modify the animation names of the peon (make "walk" the new "stand") without any modeling knowledge

Level 25
That seems to have broken the model, it no longer appears in game.

EDIT: Renamed the file to an .mdx and that works!

As for my next issue, I want the peon to appear in the treant's hand, but rotating the model 90 degrees in magos has warped everything considerably.

EDIT2: Looks like the warping is part of the ancient's eat tree animation, or something like that.

EDIT3: Meh, this looks to be about as good as I can get it. Now just to force red on the peon's skin.

EDIT4: Added rotation for projectiles, and now I've discovered why my peon is spaghetti: one does not simply translate the verts with magos.

attachment.php

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
That seems to have broken the model, it no longer appears in game.

EDIT: Renamed the file to an .mdx and that works!

As for my next issue, I want the peon to appear in the treant's hand, but rotating the model 90 degrees in magos has warped everything considerably.

EDIT2: Looks like the warping is part of the ancient's eat tree animation, or something like that.

EDIT3: Meh, this looks to be about as good as I can get it. Now just to force red on the peon's skin.

EDIT4: Added rotation for projectiles, and now I've discovered why my peon is spaghetti: one does not simply translate the verts with magos.

attachment.php

Are you adding noodles to your map? =P

Try using dummy units instead with angles of -90 and such.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I'm using the dummy model that allows changing pitch using the set anim by index function.

The problem is that the unit rotates about its feet, not around the middle.

You can solve it with math, but it's a pain in the ass. I don't recommend it. See attached (blademaster unit)

Attachments

• (12)WarHeroes070.w3x
    292.9 KB · Views: 39

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
The problem is that the unit rotates about its feet, not around the middle.

I believe you can fix it by modifying model's (peon) pivot point onto the chest and bingo, it will be rotated on his chest. I have experienced it while working on flappy bird (I was not using dummy.mdx though, I directly modified the pitch angle via object editor).

Level 25
You can solve it with math, but it's a pain in the ass. I don't recommend it. See attached (blademaster unit)

I considered that, but promptly dropped it because my math is EXTREMELY rusty.

I believe you can fix it by modifying model's (peon) pivot point onto the chest and bingo, it will be rotated on his chest. I have experienced it while working on flappy bird (I was not using dummy.mdx though, I directly modified the pitch angle via object editor).

That sounds promising.

If it's something done in the object editor I doubt it'll work, unless if there's also a way to change a unit's pitch using triggers.

Kazeon

Level 33
That sounds promising.

If it's something done in the object editor I doubt it'll work, unless if there's also a way to change a unit's pitch using triggers.
if you want to use peon as attachment model, I think you can do something with peon model's node.. as I have checked some weapon models using magos model editor and always seen a node called "attachment" or something, if I dont misremembered..

Level 25
Lolz

Well, here you go. All three heroes working. This is going to be PvE, so I would appreciate all opinions.
"Join the Dark Knight, the Witch Doctor and the "Firefly" in their quest."

Sirriously now, try them out. I think I made them pretty well :)

- Purple text on the knight is hard to read.
- Love the melee attacks! I don't think I've seen melee attacks made this well before.
- Knight's knockback isn't smooth, maybe pause the units while they're moving. As for hero design, since the attack already does knockback you should maybe put something else in this slot. A leap would be the "traditional" choice, while also giving him some much needed mobility.
- Gas + flame ability is great fun, but maybe needs a way to push the gas to give it better range. This hero looks like he will die quite a lot, but also have the most fun.
- Blink-bird ability is interesting, but I think the WD has too much mobility. It needs some sort of curse/debuff instead of one of the escapes. A confusion or root of some sort.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

You can possibly even take those melee attacks a step further and have a proper PvP swordfighting map. Add a "parry" move that raises the sword to block incoming attacks, and the rest is all footwork :)

EDIT: I've adjusted the projectile pitch/rotation factors so that it doesn't look too bad, using a normal peon. Attached is the peon throwing WIP as promised. You can throw the peons by using the peon item in your inventory.

Attachments

• AncientProtector010.w3x
    568.3 KB · Views: 49

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Here we are. This very close to the version that I will submit for my final (I start work on monday)

There are still a few minor tweaks that need to be done, but I hope some people who haven't seen it yet give it a try.

* I may improve ability command cards to ensure players understand they cast automatically

* I will add more rounds

* I may make runners recycled so you can use a hotkey to manage them

* I will make a custom loading screen with some map info

* I will fix the effect that doesn't appear with the quillspray ability

* I will de-homogenize the boss units and give some of them more of an identity

Please be critical, especially of the terrain. There are some easter eggs, and many things that seem like mistakes are intended (humor). Click around and enjoy.

I suggest playing with 2 players as that just doubles the fun and makes the game a little harder :)

Attachments

• (2)microrunnertd0.1.0j.w3x
    526.1 KB · Views: 39
Level 25
Here we are. This very close to the version that I will submit for my final (I start work on monday)

There are still a few minor tweaks that need to be done, but I hope some people who haven't seen it yet give it a try.

* I may improve ability command cards to ensure players understand they cast automatically

* I will add more rounds

* I may make runners recycled so you can use a hotkey to manage them

* I will make a custom loading screen with some map info

* I will fix the effect that doesn't appear with the quillspray ability

* I will de-homogenize the boss units and give some of them more of an identity

Please be critical, especially of the terrain. There are some easter eggs, and many things that seem like mistakes are intended (humor). Click around and enjoy.

I suggest playing with 2 players as that just doubles the fun and makes the game a little harder :)

- Make the runner a respawning hero unit. This way, it will keep its hotkey without the player having to reset it every round. When the round starts and the new runner is selected for you, it can be disruptive if you were busy building something. Didn't read your description lol
- Add an AoE indicator for towers placed from other towers, e.g. the healing ward.
- I only noticed the upgrade hut after half a dozen waves. Maybe add a hint or a note on the abilities. I assumed that towers would be built to unlock those abilities.
- Given the quick nature of the game, I didn't even have time to study the terrain! From in-game, it definitely didn't look bland, so at least from a gameplay perspective it gets a plus.
- The houses are nice, but there is no background. They just kind of stop. I'd either make a "wall" of houses behind there, or a wall of some kind. The monotone terrain tile used along the borders adds to the blandness. Add a backyard for some houses, barns, windmills, swap some houses so that the house is right up against the street instead of at the back, all adding to variety.
- Most houses IRL have a path through the front lawn to the door, I suggest you do the same. It will add quick a bit of value, I think. See if you can find a dirt/cobble road model, since terrain tiles are obviously too big.
- The tower build areas are boring. "But," I hear you say, "towers must be built there!" Take a look at this little gem of a TD (IMO): http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/ruined-temple-td-v-1-04-a-81550/
Well terrained and functional for tower building. Add some grass, scaled-down rocks (with pathing removed), and so on. Add some sign posts and street lamps on the path.
- I like the fountain, but if you have time fix the emitters so that the water isn't pouring all over the ground.
- The ashenvale grass doesn't work well. Use it on a spot here and there to indicate overgrowth, not as an entire lawn. You also aren't using dirt anywhere.
- Your fences are clipping through each other. Scale them down.

Made it to round 13, will definitely try again when I have time tonight. My strategy was to concentrate defenses right at the start of the path so that they also hit the creeps running below, and then run my runner repeatedly around that island, supported by healing wards. Earlier on I would have said this strat is OP, but its effectiveness drops the moment there's a wave with a longer line of creeps.

Initial impressions: enjoyable, terrain is positive. More in-depth review later.

Edit:
Beat it on normal mode. Haven't played in multiplayer yet.
- Summoned boar and healing ward has the sell ability, allowing you to lose it for 0 gold.
- Alchemist's transmute ability is really good, maybe too good (didn't compare it to other towers DPS, but I spammed it and won easily). Maybe reduce the attack speed or make it not work on spell immune.
- The only interesting creep ability was reincarnation, which forced me to break away from my regular movement pattern. Add stuff that forces you to mix it up, e.g. a barrier is spawned at a random point on the path, a creep type that takes a random path at each intersection (will need damage nerfed to make it viable), abilities that affect towers like stun or damage reduction, egg-laying creeps, etc.
- Time between rounds is too short, making it tough for first-time players. I suggest increasing the initial wave time by about 30 seconds, and increasing time between waves by 5-10 seconds for easy difficulty. Unless if it's intentional, you could also reduce construction times. Often the time was too short for me to build and upgrade a new tower, and I'm a player that can micro fairly competently and build during the round. I'd imagine that players who are incapable of multitasking will struggle in this map.

Not much more to say. It's a solid runner TD and I enjoyed it.

I'll jot down a few more points after I've played it in MP and with the other race.

Last edited:
Level 8

That was fun! The terrain was pretty good, although it looked a bit empty on the 'outside'/near the edges, maybe put some walls there, or trees? Also, lol at the easter eggs, especially that villager making human soup in her backyard. The names of many things were also pretty lulzy :p

It'd be nice if there were hotkeys for tower building and upgrading. Also, not sure if this was intentional, but the Archpriest's (or was it Archarchpriest? Archpriestpriest?) Heal ability isn't autocast by default. Also, would you consider having the runner automatically, after (re)spawning, start running up to the end of the first pathway?

If you have time, giving some creeps special (passive) abilities would be a nice touch as well, so that they're not too similar to each other (stats and armor aside), or having more debuffs be applied to you on certain rounds (like that Hard Gravity one, you could have one that increases damage received, silences, slows down towers' attack, etc).

P.S. played it in single player on normal mode, gonna be playing through it again on hard with a friend later on. Wonder what will change over from normal :p

Kazeon

Level 33
Here is my final entry.

About
The game is about knockout mini arena game where you must knock other players out from the arena to earn points. The gameplay is pretty simple, just shoot, brake, and slide. But the challenge is keeping your shoots accurate while controling your slidy movement. Supports 3 level of AIs (Easy, normal, insane). If you are really new, just try to play with easy AI. Normal AI is just equal with normal players. Insane AI is a bit beyond human, be careful, they got some sick moves.

Story
I have found this idea a long time ago, and have tried to make it but 100% fail. Then when this contest came up, I had an idea to re-try remaking my idea, I was just believing that my brain has grown and I will succesfully make it. It was a true pain in the ass, forming a good formula to produce a good slidy movement & acceleration. I just hope you like it :)

Changelog
1st version:
- Added obstacle (snowman)
- Now you can play with team
- Improved AI
- Balanced runes
- Added stun
- Improved collision system
- Camera rotation removed
- Doodads removed
- Filesize optimized
- UI removed

2nd version:
- Fixed multiplayer hosting glitches
- Tweakened gameplay
- Improved snowman, geez
- Balanced stuns and knockbacks
- Fixed some errors and bugs
- Camera angle changed since previous one causes movement issue for player 1 and 2
- Some AI modifications
- Fixed bug at collision
- Fixed glitch at snowman collision
- Removed so many leaks, I didn't realize them
- Some code improvements

3rd version:
- Fixed nasty bug on acceleration, that explains why sometimes the unit looks deaccelerated instead
- Camera distance increased
- Now with fancy floating text
- Improved collision
- Fixed snowman collision glitches
- Reduced snowman power
- Balanced gameplay (stuns, runes, etc.)
- Faster charge
- Smarted AI
- Fixed some movement glitches
- Many more

4th version:
- All sounds preloaded
- Enhanced visual
- Optimized import data
- Balanced stun
- Smoothened Thermometer and Chargemeter
- Statuses displayed
- Faster charge
- Bumping has new bonuses
- Improved collision
- Removed several leaks
- Fixed glitches which cause the game become laggy after several rematches
- In-game team assembling
- Colorized missile
- New sounds

5th update:
- Fixed AI bug
- Reduced AI drift ability
- Fixed snowman glitches
- Match begins with some countdown
- Faster cooldown
- Slower charge
- Added camera rotation
- Fixed timer glitches
- New arena skin
- Improved environment
- optimized import datas and file sizes
- Fixed status bug
- New sounds
- Respawn time increased
- Rune balancings
- Improved falling animation
- So many code improvements
- Read Me grammar fixes

6th update:
- Added random respawn option
- Match options are displayed to all players
- Fixed bug on team arrangement
- Randomized snowman position
- Fixed bug on rune timer initialization
- Invulnerable duration increased
- New status icons
- Added some introes
- Balanced charge power and range
- Small improvement on AI
- Balanced runes

Credit List
GeneralHeroGlow.mdx by assasin_lord
AnimatedBash.mdx by Gamegear
ZoraByZerox.mdx by Zerox
OrbOfWind.mdx by UgoUgo
SnowMan.mdx by Bloody_Turds
dummy.mdx by Vexorian
GetTerrainZ by Garfield1337
GetUnitZ by Garfield1337
GetClosestWidget by Bannar aka Spinnaker
HexString by Bannar aka Spinnaker
ball.wav by GameHouse
BallBreak.wav by GameHouse
Chomp.wav by GameHouse
Whistle.wav by GameHouse
BuzzBonus.wav by GameHouse
Music1.mp3 by GameHouse
Music2.mp3 by GameHouse
human_face_punch.wav by www.freesfx.co.uk
DizzyBirds.wav by www.zoklet.net
ESKARGOT.ttf by www.1001freefonts.com

Download Link (v6)

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@Dalvengyr ; So you went ahead and focused on triggers instead of gameplay? As I've only made first impression with your map, I won't give it any review, I may play it second time to give it some kind of score..

Anyway I can see how much effort you've put into it, really good job :) (despite what I criticized before)

Edit: @AKA.GywGod133 ; Really nice looking tileset and tree models, well done

Status
Not open for further replies.