• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #20 - Metroidvania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
That terrain looks very good !
Could you please tell me what models/texture did you use for rocks ?
Thanks man! Vast majority of terrain models are from Talavaj's phenomenal packs, you can get it here:
...and yes, that includes the Rock model. I'm pretty sure there's several rock variations too.

Level 29
27 days remain more or less.

Map Name: Tale of Crowley, cuz Crowley is the mc of this great awsome, wonderfull metroidvania adventure

My progress:
-Map is playable from the beginning till end (yay!)
-Finished the skills system where you can learn or unlearn spell packs. 7 spell packs
-You can learn Water, Fire, Nature, Light, Earth
- Darkness and Ether you have to buy the items to learn. each pack comes with 6 spells
-cinematics, done
-I also did beta testing stuff, fixed bugs...
... and more stuff is finished

what is pending:
Mandatory
1- work on the skills and skill text.
2-upload the map and build the hiveworkshop page.

Not mandatory but things to improve:
1-terrain.
2- whatever thing it may come in my mind to improve the game like example:

Gold mines, with the earth skill you have the minning skill and can get gold from mines only with the earth skill on, cool , :)
with the nature skill you can pass certain boss, and with the ether skill you have teleport, less walking :)

1667088610195.png

What is this contest's stance on using material from other games? In particular, I'd like to recycle some voice lines from another non-Blizzard game to use in this map.

I am not shure, I think it would be similar to use custom music. AFAIK
Be carefull with the size, so the map wont weight much,

Level 29
How is everybody doing? Is Nov 25 still realistic? Sound off below! :)
100% Realistic for me :)

I already triggered enhanced all the light and water spells. edit and nature,
need to work 16 spells more then write skill text.

soon I will finish the mandatory stuff and begin to just improve optional stuff.

regarding spells, certain spells give resources when casted :)
teleport cost gold and created a shop to buy items only with lumber :)

Last edited:
Level 29
I mean I can finish by the deadline but creating a whole new mini RPG takes a lil' more than I expected. I'm down with either
friendly opinion.
is not a mini rpg contest ( like skyrim), is metroidvania contest.
metroidvanias are more simple.

while RPG are usually related to open world maps, with many npcs and quest givers (final fantasy , golden sun, zelda, tales of phantasia, suikoden tierkreis, swordcraft).

metroidvania is just a raw dungeon place where you are trapped and you want to get out of there cuz is an ugly place. ( an alien infested space station in metroid fusion, a castle plagued with zombies in castlevania), metroidvanias are pretty much claustrophobic.
while in rpg you feel confortable in the town doing town stuff or exploring open world with a horse or a ship.

while plots in rpg are long, with many side stories and characer interactions,
metroidvanias plots tend to be more minimalistic ( example prince of persia sands of time gba, mc hero, female priest 2nd mc, evil mage enemy )

example:
Metroid zero mission: npcs = 0 ; dialogues : 0
Metroid fusion: npcs 1 = Adam the quest giver.

game duration of both metroids fusion and zero mission, 2 hours pro, 4 hours max , relaxed play. metroid games are short cuz they are ment to be replayed many times to unlock screens, while rpgs normally are longer like 24-30 hours standard play.

so if a metroidvania has 4 hours play, a mini metroidvania shouldnt have more than 2-3 hours play. IMO
see ya.
(currently playing Castlevania Aria of Sorrow to learn about that game).

Last edited:
Level 29
hello there , well working on my entry.
now I am on the phase where I almost finished the mandatory stuff and well improving further
the map with every idea I may get inspired.

mandatory stuff
-triggers spells done, beta testing them
- writting skills description

changing door system
I have 7 spell packs with 6 skills
one of the six skills must be used to open certain optional doors. so have to change between spell packs will be mandatory. :)

with that case my entry may not stand a chance against bigger and with more content maps. ergo
As someone that wants an extension, I haven't had the IRL time and energy to do the "bigger and more content" that I wanted, I'll have a fraction of that (if I even finish). Those 3 extra weeks will be the difference between an unplayable canvas with my rough ideas and a limited version of the vision I had that should hopefully be playable.
3 extra weeks would in my case be the difference between having around 4 weeks and 6 weeks (yes, if I'd be given 3 weeks, I think I wouldn't be able to do anything at all for one of those weeks. Such is life...).

I recently revised my plan to cut over half of the content in order to maybe be able to finish something in time, but I'll have to see if that is enough...

Attachments

• 1668016355645.png
    1668016355645.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
Level 29
Hi I, I would like to say:

• I am feeling burn out, my entry is almost finished, need to fix 1 string and beta test some things and done.
  • Planning to return to be inactive or not work my entry much more cuz of feeling very tired and exhausted.
  • About the extention, do whatever you think is the best, 3 weeks, 1 month, I agree with everything

• about my map, I did my best, I hope this entry will be worthy, I am no pro terrainer, and triggers is not my strong point, I only did melee maps in the past
  • I am sorry if during the contest I wrote out of place, not my intention, I truly wish this contest to be a success. Good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
WIP 4(?)
I have well-folding-down-system (seen near edge of the black) and done a lot with the abilities.
Hp/Energy bars is updating, cooldowns works and shows.
You can pick up the thing near the mouse to unlock "bomb" ability.
1668424357653.png
1668424461662.png

"basic attack" (left-most ability) is you shoot towards the mouse-location (or the target, if you have left-clicked an enemy).
"bomb" (middle ability with the same icon) is you place a bomb at current location, it explodes 2 seconds later (able to explode debris).
"dash" (right-most ability) is that you... dash... A short/moderate distance. You are able to start attacking while ~50% through the animation. Feels pretty good to use imo.

The dark thingies to the right of bars is "interact" (open/close doors), "open map" (shows minimap in a frame) and toggle for showing more hero-details (damage-numbers, movement speed, etc).
I need to enable tooltips to make this playable as well as making abilities interact with world as expected.

I still have more or less the same "starting area" as last WIP.

Level 8
Since last night I keep getting crashes as soon as my map starts.
I've backtracked through hours of work, removing triggers one by one, removing newly placed doodads, even going as far as flushing the map completely clean out of custom data, and I didn't fix it yet. It can open in Editor but it can't be tested.

This would be the third map where this happens, where for some unknown reason I'm just unable to get it to work.
I've spent a full hour trying to patch this up, but I didn't succeed. I'll try again later, but I might have to drop out.
The other time my project got locked, I think I dropped out of modding for a full year. If I don't get it to work this time I might drop for good.

Level 22
Since last night I keep getting crashes as soon as my map starts.
I've backtracked through hours of work, removing triggers one by one, removing newly placed doodads, even going as far as flushing the map completely clean out of custom data, and I didn't fix it yet. It can open in Editor but it can't be tested.

This would be the third map where this happens, where for some unknown reason I'm just unable to get it to work.
I've spent a full hour trying to patch this up, but I didn't succeed. I'll try again later, but I might have to drop out.
The other time my project got locked, I think I dropped out of modding for a full year. If I don't get it to work this time I might drop for good.
Don't giving up! I swear that you'll find the source of bug and it doesn't lead to complete overhaul of your project.
Everything will be fine :)

I've made a short intro, progressed on the map somewhat and made a simple system for my tooltips. Making more abilities should be easy given these systems.
I've noticed a critical bug in one of my primary abilities (dash) and I still have some UI-work left (stats, target-enemy).
Custom UI brings an endless supply of surprises of what you can and cannot do with different components and their special cases...

Anyways, current deadline should be possible to have something that is moderately playable, but maybe not repayable or have as many "choices" in where to go etc.
Also I barley have any enemies, so that needs some work...
1669562822190.png

I hope to also have a "final boss", but it might get cut.

Level 29
I hope to also have a "final boss", but it might get cut.

keep it up buddy! I am counting on you!

Put a huge tank as heavy boss and put preset skills on him like launch rockets, firebolt or some sort.

Me
Now the new deadline is confirmed ( have a bit more time in RL) will try to improve my entry, terrain a bit more, already designed now a score kill bonus, for killing units you gain a bonus, 80 200 400 kills that stuff.

Put a huge tank as heavy boss and put preset skills on him like launch rockets, firebolt or some sort.
I had my eyes on this one ;)

I have a few ideas on how the boss would work "as simply as possible" and "if I have slightly more time left" :)
I'll probably finish up the most important UI-parts first though

It's going slow but fairly steady...
I hope for some great progress the remaining time so I am able to get something playable in the end, but I won't have time to test it in multiplayer...
1670087799116.png

All the "X"s needs Icons and I need to reexport some images (the ones that are 100% teal instead of the "greeny teal" that I go for).
I have connected up many buttons to do stuff and added a ton of tooltips when hovering different things.
This means my "base systems" are almost finished so I can actually make "the map". A fair bit of terrain is already made (big chunks are undetailed though).
The "cores" are basically Diablo 2 stat-point that you can distribute among the 8 stats. You gain Cores by exploring and killing some enemies.
On top of that you gain abilities by completing "main parts" of the map. I don't know how many will be finished for the first release of the map though...

Just a few more days guys! Are you able to finish in time?
I have enemies spawning, despawning, dropping "cores", etc.
I make good progress, but I'd prefer pushing the deadline, at least slightly.

If someone else is able to join/continue with a further deadline, I'd be open to push deadline further, but as it seems right now I also want to be respectful to Wolf, so maybe only from Friday (9th) to Sunday (11th)? If @EternalOne (or anyone else) feels like another week or two would result in a "finished" map, I'd be happy with even more time.
As it is right now, my map is roughly 5 minutes if you know the map with little-to-no replayability-value though...

Level 29
I have enemies spawning, despawning, dropping "cores", etc.
I make good progress, but I'd prefer pushing the deadline, at least slightly.

If someone else is able to join/continue with a further deadline, I'd be open to push deadline further, but as it seems right now I also want to be respectful to Wolf, so maybe only from Friday (9th) to Sunday (11th)?
If all contestants wants an extension, then sure.

This is after all a very busy time for many people.
Another week or two would be a big help, seeing as I lost a huge chunk of time around Thanksgiving. I'll do my best to get another WIP done this week.
Glad to see you EternalOne you are still mapping.

Dont mind me, whatever you guys wish is fine with me. about the extention I will agree with whatever you guys decide.

My entry is finished, I think, actually something can never be finished, I could add more stuff to the map but... feeling tired, ton of work, working 6 days per week, I need rest from mapping,

With my current schedule I can't guarantee anything, extension or not.

:(
Know the feeling. For a while I didn't think I'd be as available as I've actually been.

To me, it sounds that people here are in agreement regarding an extension @Archian
I don't mind if it comes comes tomorrow, and if it doesn't I can post whatever I have (although it really isn't finished enough imo).

I expected an extension and I didn't work on it as much today and I can't really post the map to the map-section in good faith in its current state. It's at most a "Map Development"-post.
I'd need to at least fix the sound-set, play through it a few times to ensure it's playable and winnable and add a victory condition. I didn't really feel like stressing out about this, so I didn't.

I'd hope that an extension shows up after the current official deadline, or else we only have 1 submission in this competition.

I almost have first boss in place, my power ups ("level up") placed etc.
I have a ton of map progress and I've started implemented my knockback system (I had issues with Bribes and others seemed to not really do what I wanted).
But I've been away for a week now so I hope I can finish my knockback before end of the year and boss so I have my "start" finished up.

Level 7
Bad news on my front, but not editor-related. A couple weeks ago I got a huge job-related project that's been taking up almost all of my time. The good news is that the end date of said project is tomorrow afternoon, so if all goes well I can get back to working on my map after that. I'll have to rethink the scope of it though. Maybe cut out the base defense aspect and make it a straight-up metroidvania.

Okay, pivoted 100%. Got tired of dungeon. Trying to finish this new one, already a lot longer than the other one. The theme is perhaps a bit unorthodox, but hey.

Here are some wips. Mostly just terrain so far. Experimenting with walkable stuff.

Attachments

• 1672411482878.png
    1672411482878.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1672411500326.png
    1672411500326.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 1672411512427.png
    1672411512427.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Status