1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Medieval Strategy Overhaul

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by UmbraUnda, Dec 30, 2016.

1. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Thanks for the help. Nice - the thrust is already in channel animations however it also uses a downward chop so while it works for a lot of 2H weapons, the downward chop looks weird with a spear. So, maybe just use channel's thrust to start off, use another animation tag, and add a thrust variations or two. Unless you're pro and wanna do it from scratch haha - w.e you want tho. The defend animation works fine if the unit has no animations tag. With the alternate animation tag, for some reason when standing the defend animation goes away, then reappears when the unit is moving or attacking - maybe add a defend for alternate ? Or if there's a better way to solve that, lemme know.

Thanks, appreciate the help - you are in the loading screen credits.

2. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not to be a bitch, but when's the testable version coming? Anticipation is killing me D:

3. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha no worries. Very very soon. And its no longer just a test version - its the alpha version. I kept putting in work and now I got help from some other people so a lot more got implemented than I initially planned on having for the test map, so I feel comfortable calling it an alpha at this stage. I know the anticipation is quite a burden however everyday that you wait, this map just gets better so just have a little more patience. It'll be ready sometime next week.

4. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright! Another good week of work. I can say for sure, the alpha will be ready next week. That's right - the alpha. I was originally planning on simply releasing a rough test map to test combat for balancing however the map has gone far beyond what I originally planned. This is all thanks to the wonderful people on Hive who help on the forums and or post resources.

So what's working? And what's still in the works...?

Implemented
    -Complete overhaul of all WC3 features, units & buildings for a realistic Medieval setting. Bigger realistic map size, 4 players 480x480 Alpha -Map - Black Forest style terrain inspired from Northern Germany.
    -Similar Features from WC3 Melee - Heroes, Creeps (Beware Creature & Bandit Ambushes), Nuetral Buildings (Fountain, Shop, Etc).
    -Custom combat mechanics, customized units via series of custom attachments, 200+ Units & 100+ Structures
    -50% of Abilities working - core abilities for units + standard unique set of 4 for each hero.
    -Custom Proportional Pathing (Currently only 50% of buildings have correct pathing, other 50% will get done for the alpha)
    -EVERYTHING UPGRADES - upgrade-able tiers for every single unit and nearly all structures.
    -Upgrade System - Units must upgrade near their relevant structure. Example Cavalry upgrades at the Stables/ Ranged Units upgrade at the Archery Range, Most of the time its the same building they are trained from except certain units where it makes more sense, example pack horse -> trade cart - trained at market, upgrades at workshop.

Not Implemented
    -Combat Experience System, Miss System, Bleeding Ability, + other 50% of abilities (mostly custom combat abilities)
    -Spearman Animations for Cavalry and Infantry.
    -Bowman Animations for Cavalry, Mount/Unmount System for Cavalry.
    -Walkable Walls, Garrison System, Rotatable buildings, New Construction System, Army Formations, Custom Lighting, & more.
    -Additional abilities & siege units for walkable walls.
    -Custom Resources - Food (+ Farm Buildings, Fishing, Hunting, etc), Ore & Hides (Armor Crafting), Gold (Market, Trade), Clay, Water - more/less + More Buildings, Farming System, & Harvest-able Destructibles for those resources ^.

Even with all this stuff that needs to be done, enough is done for an Alpha release. While it lacks some of the bonus features that really make this project shine, the core features are there. Plus I have a couple people working on the main features that I want to implement, like Stronghold's walkable walls and Age of Empires II's rotatable buildings and garrison system - once those are working - BETA.

Also new stuff I added this week: New models for the dog and hound units all with TC. New T1 naval unit - Boatman - (Worker Boat) Simple villager on a rowboat who can fish and repair other ships. New model for all Light Cavalry that perfectly matches the animations of the Heavy Cavalry. Updated some terrain tilesets. Updated pathing for all structures and implemented wall/gate system.

5. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Javelin Throwers
    Slaves (weak-ass melee unit) (last resort) (worker(?))

Host Ability: When victory is declared, the host can use a nuke. Map explodes. GG WP. (;p;)

6. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi there, I would like to say that this looks pretty cool. I really love all the details and effort you put in there already. Good luck with this!

7. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Already have those - Spear Throwers - tanky ranged unit with a shield. Based off of the Age of Empires Skirmisher.

Slaves - hmm those aren't too European Medieval really - more so Arabic, especially for that time. Also no real need for it.

Lol... cmon man. Cute but unnecessary.

Thanks very much. I'm glad you like it! Its a long way from done but it has potential to be really fun while incorporating features from the best RTS medieval games out there.

8. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Another week - unfortunately school was very busy this week with homework and tests, leaving little time for me to wrap up work for the Alpha. Sorry to keep you all waiting, still - just know you'll be playing soon, probably by this weekend if school eases up to it's regular routine.

The Alpha is SO close to being done, I just gotta finish tweaking some of the data fields now. The reason these data fields take so much work is because of the 250+ units, 100+ buildings, and 150 + upgrades - so it's a loooooot of data fields to fill out and tweak for balance.

Thanks to everyone who supports this project - to all those waiting, I promise you'll be playing soon, just have patience.

9. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    No problem, man! I'll keep waiting as long as it needs to be for.

10. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    480x480 isnt too big for 4 players? We will control thousand of units? It will be epic.

11. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sir, you shit me not :D

12. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for your patience, mate.

480 x 480 feels like 2-3 miles between each player in relation to unit scale, so for 4 players it works well and feels realistic + eliminates the zerg rush strategy xD. Also you need some room for city building/castle building. Well, not 1000's - I was thinking 300-400, 500 tops. Rome Total War has 1000's because you got an army from entire countries - however in this game you have an army from just your one city. Yes, epic indeed- especially when its closer to being done, with more implemented game features, different types of maps, maybe an HD overhaul eventually and more.

13. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The game can reasonably handle up to 100 moving units per player. 500 would mean that ranged units can never be attacked with a similarly sized army, because the attackers will lose most of their speed to stuttering.

14. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the reminder. I noticed that happen on some older games however I think it's fixable if you address memory leaks. That should make things interesting during testing xD, haha - but I hope it works fine. Otherwise I'm gonna have to find a way around that...

15. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually it has nothing to do with memory leaks. It's just that when you give a unit an order it doesn't actually start moving. It has to be given sub-orders by the game.
    The way it works is that each suborder is only a small distance and each player gives about 30 of those per second. The more units you have, the more time between suborders.
    Usually it takes a couple seconds for a suborder to be finished, so this gives you the 100 unit figure. If by that time the game is not ready to give the next suborder the unit will simply wait.

Memory leaks just slow down the game and when the game's allocated memory runs out it will crash.

16. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    o0o0o Ok. Thanks for explaining that. Is there any way around that for more units? Or a trigger that can ease the stuttering?

17. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There is no sensible way to break this limit. Instead it's recommended to just not have too many units.
    You can maybe somewhat mitigate it if you consider what the problems are. Although the suborder thing is awful, it is made much more awful if units bump into each other, as that makes them stop.
    When a unit bumps into another it loses its mini-order and will have to be given another by the game, thus making the problem worse.
    The speed doesn't break down immediately when you go over 100. 200 is doable too, your units will just respond slower and lose some speed.
    However, the more moving units you have the more all of them will lose speed.
    I'd say the best thing you can do here is just testing it personally. See how many units your game can handle without losing too much, just keep in mind that only moving units count.

18. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks again for explaining all that info. Alright, that's good - I thought it was all units for a second. If its just moving units, I don't think more than 200 at a time would be moving, unless you're moving your whole army and village population. And for battles no more than 100-150 so hopefully it won't stutter too much. True, gotta do some testing - only way to find out for sure. Also that # limit is for the whole map or each player?

19. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Per player, luckily.

20. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    YESSSSSS - alright good, I'm relieved. Thanks again for all the info!