• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #20 - Old Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
it’s important to note that there’s a whole team behind these mysterious actions and Mythic has to navigate in what he hears. We had some suspicions about foul play. We have to take that seriously regardless of how established the person in question is. I agree it is never nice to be suspected of something.
Actually, it shouldn't be nice for you as the lead admin to know that veteran member with 200+ resources gets accused so easily with no basis to begin with, especially if those who deceived Mythic come from staff team.

I don't blame Mythic too much as I am pretty certain he wasn't the one to start all this and I am sure that once internet connection allows him he will be the first to offer apology. But I cannot say the same for others who started this mess.

My rhetorical question isn't whether will I be a member here long enough to witness a contest without drama, but whether will there ever come a day to see those who cause a drama to have enough courage to accept their responsibility, admit their mistake and apologize.

As stipulated by Ralle. A team of moderators were flaged about your entry. From that moment, here's how it unfolded.

1 - We asked YOU to provide more work in progress = and you didn't.
For your other icons, I will ask both of you to provide more Work in progress please. (aka, more images between your first draft and your final render) thank you :)

2 - A week later, we sent a Private message asking you to do just that = ...you did not answer the p.m.
The P.M in question was this = "Hello. We need you to post more WIPs of early versions of your icons, as we suspect they were not made in the intended way. Kindly also provide PSDs for each icon. You have a day before the poll is posted. Your actions will decide whether you'll be included.."

3- Finally, one day before the contest ended, you finaly delivered with many ''works in progress''( and we thank you for that)... and you started throwing rocks at the same time.
I got this message from contest host.
Have I joined website yesterday and posted one icon so far to be talked to with such tone?
You know, I spend so much time and effort on those resources. Everything I posted I have spent a lot of time working on, drawing them from sketch to the completion, everything hand drawn. And I have been doing that for a long time now. And then I get messages like this? Well, I don't need that.

And there you go more wips, if you still have doubts feel free to not include me in the poll, as I certainly don't care anymore.

Exactly. Hard to believe on various levels and I request for an explanation as to what is behind all of this.

To single me out without proper reason and demand for WIPs which are not described by contest rules, and even go so far to threaten that I have one day to provide all this content otherwise I will be disqualified, is type of behavior I will not tolerate. I am not some random noob who joined website two days ago to talk to me like that. I don't even need to remind about my experience, resources and my well known attitude towards clean creative process.

My guess is that another member who is now too shy to raise his hand, has, for whatever reason, somehow deceived Mythic into thinking those icons were made by ''not intended way'', whatever that means.

Regardless of that, it is beyond understanding to receive such warning from someone with whom I have literally made the very model for which I now created icons. We had hundred pages of conversation when making that model, worked entire month on creating it, discussed and reworked every single detail.

It is time to hear some explanation to this situation.

Actually, it shouldn't be nice for you as the lead admin to know that veteran member with 200+ resources gets accused so easily with no basis to begin with, especially if those who deceived Mythic come from staff team.

I don't blame Mythic too much as I am pretty certain he wasn't the one to start all this and I am sure that once internet connection allows him he will be the first to offer apology. But I cannot say the same for others who started this mess.

My rhetorical question isn't whether will I be a member here long enough to witness a contest without drama, but whether will there ever come a day to see those who cause a drama to have enough courage to accept their responsibility, admit their mistake and apologize.

The drama is all on you. The team received legit allegation, they reacted.

Now you have the right to know why= I flaged your first icon because:

I thought I recognised the WoW pandaren model and the first WIP of that icon you provided was just a quick sketch.
Following the rules:
  • Your work must be mostly freehand. CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Use of textures and filter work is permitted.
  • You must show at least 2 Works-in-Progress (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.

If the pandaren face was indeed just a simple screenshot from WoW, your icon would not follow that rule, and the lack of a second work in progress before the final product would also not follow that rule.

This is why I asked you to provide more images of work in progress from your other icons and why you received a private message later that week after not answering my request. Thus the ''drama'' started due to your actions for not providing more wips before the very end.

I apologize for the hive members about this situation that we are in. I hope you'll accept in good faith why I flagged your first icon in the first place. I'm sorry this situation spinned out of control when it could have been easily avoided. Good luck in the contest. I would like to thank you and all the other hive members for participating in the hive contest.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Thanks Mr. Goblin & Ralle for going into this.

I can understand the frustration of a veteran content-creator being questioned on whether they are following the Rules, after years of proving workmanship. But at the same time, it shouldn't matter how good/well-known/prolific/etc a user is; if they are a Contestant in a Contest and a legitimate concern about their Rule-following is raised, that should be looked into.

Otherwise we'd have an implicit system of users being "above reproach" merely because of their (r/R)eputation or the number of submitted resources or the number of Contests they've won, which is unjust.

I can see which direction this is going towards now.

No one here as well is looking for any sort of drama. It would've been great at the beginning if you guys simply explained more clearly the purpose and the reason for any discussion you start with any contestant, so they're well aware of what your intentions truly are. :]

And to Murloc: leave it behind. Even if it's not an included rule, providing more WIPs won't hurt, you know that. :] It would even be a professional thing to do, so every contestant learns that stealing, tracing or any kind of CnP, will not be tolerated here.

We all must do our parts to avoid such things in the future.

Level 50
Much to delight of most basic rules I will refrain from responding to patronizing and wisdom messages and keep it short.

Too bad, you should have communicated those issues before accusing and making assumptions of such scale. I accept apology hoping that in future, before making such conclusions, you will communicate your concerns alongside arguments, not only with people in position but also with those in question.

And quick reminder of facts:
1. You are a contestant, not in position to demand WIPs from other contestants and consider it official request, only host/ appointed contest mod can ask for WIPs from official standpoint. You may express your concerns and communicate them alongside valid arguments.
2. Your post about ''liking to see more wips'' is not even an unofficial request, it comes across as just another post that offers none of the concerns you expressed above. There isn't any meaningful content presented in the ''like to see...'' post.
3. The ONLY message about WIPs was the warning about disqualification I received 18 days after your ''like to see...'' post, not a week after it as you said.

Hello.

@Murlocologist
As for your concerns about being singled out; the previous WIPs you submitted were far closer to completion in comparison to the rest of the contestants. Mr.Goblin and Wildfire clearly documented each phase of their design, while PrinceYaser provided a timelapse.

Is your experience not a chance to lead by example, instead of a way to exempt you from any doubt?

The poll is up, and you are included. Your later WIPs have been deemed sufficient. Thank you for your cooperation. :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
1. You are a contestant, not in position to demand WIPs from other contestants and consider it official request, only host/ appointed contest mod can ask for WIPs from official standpoint. You may express your concerns and communicate them alongside valid arguments.
I will say this in Murlocologist's defense: it's true that not only is Mr. Goblin not the assigned Mod for this Contest, but he's another Contestant, which further muddies the issue of him being the one to request/require things of other Contestants.

It appears that even if he was on the "team of mods" associated with the discussion about whether to request more WIPs (makes sense since he is an Art Mod), he should not have been the one to relay the message (rather the Host or the assigned Mod).

Status
Not open for further replies.