• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #20 - Poll

Choose the best set!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_icon-png.311495
contest-png.311487
20-png.351379

thread_poll-png.311518

ic20-banner-png.364948

old-glory-png.365199

Contestants were to create 3 icons for a model of their choice from a pool of contest winners. One icon for a portrait, and two icons for abilities. Classic submissions only.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus of 5%.
  • Participating in the poll will not prevent disqualification.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement about what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Technical Note
How well-drawn the submissions are, in terms of quality & artistry. Elements such as the color, shape, definition, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, details, and expressiveness will be considered./55

Creativity
How unexpected and creative are the ideas? How original and unique?/25

Blizzard Style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Theme
Are the icons visually coherent? How fitting are they for chosen model?/10

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
Final Score = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall conclude on 29th of November 2020.

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Contest | Results

Goblin's icons are crisp and clean.
Murloc's set features good contrast, and while a little blurry, tops in consistency.
Yaser's style is unique. Though I'd prefer #3's aura weaker, to give its embers more of a spotlight.
Wildfire's set needs more vibrance and shadows for clarity.

Goblin wins me over.
Nice job, folks. Good luck!

Mr.Goblin's icons are indeed very well executed. I love the way you step by step made the icons in Ps using modern techniques. The poison is surprisingly well executed to read in such small size.

However, the shading is not balanced between icons. I would balance the contrast and add more dark lines to the edges of the shapes, SFX to follow. I would also add a second light source and rim lights to further define the hand in the third icon.

Murloc's icons are definitely the most fitting considering consistency. I love the portrait icon. I don't see major flaws here. They just stand out very well. You definitely know how an ability icon has to be made. I would only use more colorful gradients and definition lines.

Wildfire's icons are in dire need of color, contrast and shading. They look unfinished. Try out reading tutorials about color and light. It will extremely help you.

All in all, Murlocologist takes the cake this time IMO. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.