• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #16 - Custom Models/Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Final entries, I think.

ASWip1.jpg ASWip2.jpg ASWip3.jpg

BTNArcaneHunter.png.png BTNFeedCrash.png ATCArcaneStatic.png PASArcTrinity.png

Note: Clicking the icon will lead you to its resource section.

Feed Crash - The Arcane Hunter slams unto the position of the target enemy unit, dealing damage to it and nearby enemy units and destroys their mana equal to ()% of their maximum mana pool.

Arcane Static - Destroys the mana of a target enemy unit every attack when active. Any enemy units with mana nearby the target unit will be damaged and causes some of their mana to be absorbed to the Arcane Hunter.

Arc Trinity - Blocks incoming debuffs after several seconds. Reduces the damage of Hero, Magic, and Chaos attacks to ()% of their damage dealt.

Arcane Hunter - Hey! That's me!

Permission

I kinda forgot that I already had permission. Here's proof, (*don't mind the phone screenshot*)

Screenshot_2017-09-01-11-41-05.jpg

Credits to @MatiS for the original model.

Last edited:
Level 19
Here's another update from me! Almost done, just gotta finish the last ability. Btw, we have lots of Orc entries haha :D I can see the burning crusade from here!!

btntry2-jpg.278008
Varok Saurfang

btnoblitoratesmall-jpg.278295
Oblitorate

NOT AVAILABLE YET!! Shell Stack

btnbersekers-call-jpg.278009
Berserker's Call

Attachments

• BTNOblitorateSmall.jpg
    BTNOblitorateSmall.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Level 19
Last WIP from me. Gonna do finish this one do my last edits and post the whole final entry.

varokarmorcladwip2-jpg.278336

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Final Entry
Permission
permission-png.276319

Description

-First Ability: Oblitorate (Active) (Point)
Description: Varok swings his mighty axe, piercing through anything in its path. Deals 30/60/90
initial Damage, 5/15/30 damage over 5 seconds and slows 10/15/25% for 5 seconds.

-Second Ability: Shell Stack (Passive)
Description: On every third attack Varok does, this spell adds +3 armor to him up to +15/21/30.
Each stack lasts 12 seconds.

-Third Ability: Berserker's Call (Active) (No target)
Description: When triggered, Varok rips all of his armor, granting him Attack Speed, Movement Speed,
and gain a Damage Aura.

A.S. + 15%
M.S. + 10%
DMG + 10%
Armor - 10/15/20%

For each stack (of 3's) gained from Shell Stack, the buffs get bonus points.

A.S. + 4%
M.S. + 6%
DMG + 5%

Icons And Full Images(Full images are all 512x512)

Hero Icon - Oblitorate - Shell Stack - Berserker's Call
--
btnvarok-saurfang-jpg.278444
-------
btnoblitorate-jpg.278443
-------
pasarmor-clad-jpg.278447
-----------
btnberserkers-call-jpg.278442
--

varok-saurfang-jpg.278448

oblitorate-jpg.278446

armor-clad-jpg.278440

berserkers-call-jpg.278441

Here are the links from Icons section:
Hero Icon: Varok Saurfang
First Ability: Oblitorate
Second Ability: Armor Clad
Third Ability: Berserker's Call

Attachments

• VarokArmorCladWIP2.jpg
    VarokArmorCladWIP2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 562
  • Armor Clad.jpg
    Armor Clad.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 488
  • Berserker's Call.jpg
    Berserker's Call.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 506
  • BTNBerserker's Call.jpg
    BTNBerserker's Call.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 461
  • BTNOblitorate.jpg
    BTNOblitorate.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 464
  • BTNVarok Saurfang.jpg
    BTNVarok Saurfang.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 451
  • Oblitorate.jpg
    Oblitorate.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 477
  • PASArmor Clad.jpg
    PASArmor Clad.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Varok Saurfang.jpg
    Varok Saurfang.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I believe its one of those situations where, if you have prove that you sent them a message stating your making something for there model/skin and they haven't responded due to inactive for "3 years" or so then you should be able to get a pass to make resources. Its sad when people go inactive but that's how forums are. But, too make this contest have a healthy amount of people participate, we need to pull some strings from the rules.

Level 51
Altthough the rulees were clear, as a modeler I think nobody would have anything against it. I'm always honored jf somebody makes icons for my models and I'm pretty sure most of my collegues feel the same.

It's an incredible addition to our database and increases the usabilty immensly. As the models do not get any harm from it or anything and as long as the models and their creators are credited properly, I don'r think it should be a problem.

Skins are another thing as they directly affect the model, but Icons are no problem at all IMO.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Contestants were supposed to start working on icons only after they had acquired needed permission.
I checked the first post & didn't see that anywhere in the Rules.

Altthough the rulees were clear, as a modeler I think nobody would have anything against it. I'm always honored jf somebody makes icons for my models and I'm pretty sure most of my collegues feel the same.

It's an incredible addition to our database and increases the usabilty immensly. As the models do not get any harm from it or anything and as long as the models and their creators are credited properly, I don'r think it should be a problem.

Skins are another thing as they directly affect the model, but Icons are no problem at all IMO.
While I completely 100% agree with you, PROXY, that isn't even the biggest deal. Because while you might think it's great, it is conceivable that there could exist a modeler who disagreed with you, and thus the 'lowest common denominator', the lowest 'bar' we could set would be to "always get permission".

No, the real deal is that asking permission has no point in this context. We don't ask Blizzard for permission when do geomerges or wrap in-game textures on a mesh. More importantly, we don't ask Masashi Kishimoto for permission when we make a Naruto model or texture, or EA's permission to make a Red Alert model/texture...

The only time 'asking permission' has any bearing is when we are actually, physically using the product of someone else's labor. i.e. I want to make a custom model based off of, say, -Grendel's Naga Stealthviper.
upload_2017-9-1_11-47-32.png

We ask permission when we are literally using some part of something someone else has made; the physical vertices of the mesh, the actual pixels of the icon or texture.

Since all of you are making custom icons 100% from scratch, drawing each pixel yourselves... Just because you are (essentially) inspired by some certain custom model or whatever doesn't matter. Now, if any of you, say, took a screenshot of a model for it's Portrait (& didn't draw over every pixel), or did some serious uber-tracing of an existing custom model/texture to make your icons... Yeah, I could see justification for asking permission, because at that point you are using someone else's work (if only on some level).

But so long as you all are drawing these things by hand completely yourselves... You might as well ask for God's permission to paint a flower.

We can't legislate permission for inspiration alone.

Last edited:
upload_2017-9-2_12-37-37.png

Final spell. No name yet, but I will upload my final entry here soon. :)

EDIT: FINAL ENTRY

My Entries:

Information:

Syokoy the Sea Druid: The coast of Stranglethorn Vale was infested by Sea Giants. But one sea giant named Syokoy is exceptional, thus gaining high reputation for being the most powerful yet violent sea giant. Instead of using physical power, he rely too much for his magical powers to annihilate his enemies. He self-proclaimed that he is the most powerful druid to all aside from Night Elf druids. He ruled the whole South Sea. Most sea-creatures subjected themselves to Syokoy to get protection.

1. Sea Druid Charm (Active) - Casts a special magic to control the mind of any non-hero unit around the targeted area. (Each level will increase the AOE)

2. Sea Druidism (Passive) - Increases the chance to repel magic damage. Everytime he repel the magic, random ground units around him will entangled by tentacles for 2 seconds. (Each level will increase the chance to repel magic damage.)

3. Guardian of the Sea (Active/Special) - Releases destructive energy causing massive damage to any units around him and stuns them for 3 seconds. Deals more damage when it casts to water.

Game Preview:
upload_2017-9-2_15-7-34.png

Permission:

upload_2017-8-9_11-54-43-png.276259

Attachments

• SeaDruid.psd
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • SeaDruidCharm.psd
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • SeaDruidism.psd
    740.1 KB · Views: 77
  • GuardianofTheSea.psd
    708.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.png
    1.png
    461 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.png
    3.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.png
    4.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Level 50
Contest ends tomorrow.

Contestant
Permission PostedFinal Entry Posted and Uploaded to Icon Section

@stein123
YesYes

@~Nightmare
YesYes

@Arowanna
YesNo

@San
YesYes

@trebla ratilla
YesYes

@Naze
NoNo

@BLazeKraze
YesYes

@Edge45
YesYes

@Flute
NoNo

@NightStalker
YesYes

Those who have permission but haven't posted it - post it.
Those without permission - explain why haven't you got it and make sure you have sent both PM and VM to author.

Most likely, those who haven't acquired permission will be given -5 points to their final score.

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Thanks @Sin'dorei300 for the help

I finally got permission :xxd:

permission.PNG

Here is the workflow image
upload.png

BTNQueenOfTheForest.png
BTNPotionOfLife.png
ElkMount.png
MaskOfForestMadness.png

Links:
BTNQueenOfTheForest
BTNPotionOfLife
BTNElkMount
BTNMaskOfTheForestMadness

This time around I mainly much focused on usability, didn't much took consideration of fanciness and artistry.

Potion of Life - Yes, there are so many potion icons. I created one since I want to create a better potion icon versus to my previous potion icons and I think I did better. The potion is wrapped with branches for it to be different from other existing nature themed potions.

Elk Mount - Again usability. I haven't seen a better elk icon

Mask of Nature Madness - because we need moar items. It can be used as a spell too.

Uploading....

EDIT: Uploaded

Icons that didn't made the cut.
BTNForestSight.png
BTNPlantWard.png

it'll be uploaded if someone wants.

Attachments

• upload.png
    upload.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Thanks @Sin'dorei300 for the help

I finally got permission :xxd:

View attachment 278693

Here is the workflow image

View attachment 278699 View attachment 278698 View attachment 278696 View attachment 278697

This time around I mainly much focused on usability, didn't much took consideration of fanciness and artistry.

Potion of Life - Yes, there are so many potion icons. I created one since I want to create a better potion icon versus to my previous potion icons and I think I did better. The potion is wrapped with branches for it to be different from other existing nature themed potions.

Elk Mount - Again usability. I haven't seen a better elk icon

Mask of Nature Madness - because we need moar items. It can be used as a spell too.

Uploading....

Very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.