• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HiveWE - World Editor 0.6

HiveWE is a fully custom 3rd party world editor. It's completely separate from the original editor and is open-source!

Features:
  • Open and view Warcraft III maps.
  • Edit the terrain.
  • Edit the pathing map directly!
  • Change the tileset to up to 16 tiles.
  • Fly around in first or third person camera
  • Manage your imports with folders
  • Edit global tile pathing
  • Place and remove doodads
  • Edit map loading screen information
  • Import heightmaps
  • View GUI and edit JASS triggers
Limitations
  • Doodad rendering is not 100% accurate (teamglow, billboards, etc)
  • Does not show animations
Required for running HiveWE:

HiveWE 0.6

Additions
- Map script generation!
- Improved Jass highlighting
- Improved Jass autocomplete
- Tabs in the trigger editor now configurable
- Trigger comments shown and editable
- Rudimentary find window in trigger editor
- Move camera with arrow keys
- Shortcuts for opening/saving maps
- Improved doodad pathing placement
- Cool application icon
- Doodad copy and paste
- Doodad positioning with numpad
- Improved themes

Changes
- Camera is now a trackball type instead of TP/FP hybrid
- Camera drag now proportional to distance
- Camera now changes with terrain height
- Doodads height after terrain change now interpolated
- Doodads now selected with one click instead of two

Fixes
- Clicking on minimap now moves you to the correct location

HiveWE 0.5
Additions
- Minimap
- Full undo/redo for terrain/pathing/doodads
- Show destructibles pathing
- Visiblity/Solidity flags for doodads
- Pathing map preview for doodads
- Cliff lighting
- A functioning JASS editor (with some limitations)
- Dark theme
- Doodad palette functionality
Changes
- Check for empty warcraft directory path
- Default doodad palette to Trees/Destructibles
- Tries to run on the fastest GPU
- Now also shows RoC (.w3m) maps in the open map dialog
Fixes
- Can now launch HiveWE while Warcraft is running
- Deep water for terrain palette has proper height
- properly applies water pathing

HiveWE 0.4
Additions
- Warcraft 1.30 support!
- Full BLP1 support
- Loads the shadowmap file (implementation waiting)
- Import a heightmap (PNG, TGA, JPG and many others)
- Load and edit map information! (loading screen/description)
- Trigger viewer! View GUI and JASS triggers
- An option to disabled enforcing water height limits
- Added an experimental doodad palette
Changes:
- Now uses the OS temporary folder instead of the "Data/Temporary" folder
- Greatly increased pathing map contrast
- Trigger and Import editor window modality changed
- Now uses a ribbon instead of the old menu
Fixes:
- Properly set the pathing for water and blight
- Tilesetter now properly enforces 16 tiles
- The correct ground texture variation is now chosen
- Properly scale units and items
- Properly scale doodads
- Saving now chooses the right target

HiveWE 0.3
Additions:
- Warcraft 1.29 support
- Added a Tile Pathing setter
- Added a Terrain Palette.
- Added an Import Manager
- Now shows the pathing texture on cliffs too
- Added a first person camera and allow switching between them
- Added terrain shadows
- Reset camera using CTRL + Shift + C
Changes:
- Removed war3Patch.mpq from the hierarchy
- Added deprecated.mpq (from 1.29) to the hierarchy
- SLK loading is now roughly 4x as fast (improved map load time)
- Hides the brush when palette is inactive
- Some small quality of life improvements
- Improved RoC compatibility for unit loading
- Changed terrain rendering to support different ground texture sizes
- Now remembers your last open/save location
- Further increased rendering performance for doodads a lot
- Now remembers your Warcraft 3 directory if you previously located it

Fixes:
- Fixed tileset/map hierarchy order
- Fixed loading items placed on the map
- Fixed a bug with the terrain being off by one (64x64 became 63x63)

HiveWE 0.2
- Instanced rendering for Doodads and Cliffs provide a massive speed upgrade
- Added tooltips to all buttons
- Centered brush on mouse
- Some code refactoring
- Added tilesetter
- Fixed blocky pixels under oblique angles
- Added terrain saving
- Allow running multiple instances
- Fixed tile variation bug
- Fixed tile texture UV bug
- Added unit rendering
- Very rudimentary animation parsing and geoset hiding
- Improved RoC file format compatibility
HiveWE 0.1
- Initial release
- Draws terrain and doodads
- Editing the pathing map

Technically a Warcraft installation is not required since the editor relies only on the game CASC files. We cannot distribute these due to legal reasons. Just point the editor at the folder containing them when it asks and you should be good to go!

If you encounter any issue with HiveWE then do ask for help! You can post here, reach me on the Hiveworkshop Discord eejin#4240 or message me on GitHub.

Many thanks to Ghostwolf for without him I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as far. Also thanks to the rest of the Hiveworkshop community for supporting the creation of this editor.

Backup your map before using HiveWE
Previews
Contents

HiveWE 0.6 (Binary)

Reviews
Retera
This is a state of the art open source World Editor that draws on all of the community's knowledge of how to make Warcraft III maps. This current build is great for drawing terrain and doodads -- and new features are clearly under active development...
Level 1
I couldn't install that.When showing WAR3 directory it comes back to the Select Directory again.I did it several times but it was the same.

If there is any guide how to install that please help me :)

Level 2
it doesn't work for me, it's opening a black window(CMD) and says loading CASC data from D:/Games/Warcraft 1.31/Warcraft III/
and then it just closes and nothing else. i have the requirments for the program but it doesn't work.

Level 5
Works fine. Do make sure that the folder you select is the actual main folder of Warcraft, not a folder before that (happened to me)

Fully supporting this Project! Would be amazing if this comes to fruition proper.

One thing I wonder, if anyone cares to answer, if one creates a map on this and saves it, with which version can the map be played? In other words, what Version of WC3 Editor does it emulate when you save the map to file?

EDIT:
Tested it some, and found the following.
HiveWE most likely can open any (unprotected) map, but definetly Editor Version 6059 (1.24-1.28.5), by using "Open File (MPQ)". If you create a map or save a map as "Save File" or "Save File as" (which it does as multiple files in a folder (Casc)), the WC3 Editor reports the map being created on Editor Version 6061 (1.30.0-1.30.4), can be opened by 1.31.1 as well though. Sadly, however, the function "Export to MPQ" which would create you a .w3x file crashes the editor, so I cannot confirm if a map could be created that could be opened on, for example, 1.26-1.28 for the purposes of PvPGN. Assuming howerver, that one can open a map from a "Casc"-Folder inside the game on 1.30, which I sadly don't know, it for now still would be viable to create a map that works for anyone using LAN (Gameranger/Radmin)

Since I reject reforged in spite of having bought WC3 three times already over the past decade, I cannot tell you how HiveWE behaves about 1.32 and up.

Last edited:
Level 17
Hive acts as the highest version it supports, and there were major changes around 1.31. Table linked here has supported Wc3 versions for each HiveWE release, so maps are saved as those versions. You shouldn't expect maps saved in newer versions to work on older ones, as every change made to the vanilla editor functionality would also be reflected in the file formats. As for reforged, 0.7 plans to target it. Maps made in reforged aren't shown ingame at all on older versions.

Level 5
Hive acts as the highest version it supports, and there were major changes around 1.31. Table linked here has supported Wc3 versions for each HiveWE release, so maps are saved as those versions. You shouldn't expect maps saved in newer versions to work on older ones, as every change made to the vanilla editor functionality would also be reflected in the file formats. As for reforged, 0.7 plans to target it. Maps made in reforged aren't shown ingame at all on older versions.

Thanks for the clarification!

So the "Save as MPQ" function on 0.6 is a fluke? Or is there a problem on my system as to why it crashes the editor? (Because despite it not being MPQ, it would be nice to have a .w3x file, but i suppose you could work around that, by opening the Casc Folder in the WC3 Editor and then saving it).

Yes, the crash occurs even when I simply place some doodads on the map and try to "Save as MPQ". It doesn't if I save to file, which gives me a folder that I can open in the World Editor.

Kinda hoped HiveWE could act as a replacement to some extend, but I guess it's only a supplement to the World editor ^^'

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-26_0-53-49.png
    upload_2020-4-26_0-53-49.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
Level 12
Oh well let's hope 0.7 gets released soon, can't wait for the ability to edit pathing directly, among other things!

Level 14
Is it possible for making object layer?
Like for example I want to put 'Layer1" which consists of footmen and riflemen.
And then create 'Layer2' which consists of orc grunts and headhunters.

Which the layers can be turned off, freeze, hide, or lock. This can work in reducing memory consumption due to animated objects in the editor.

Level 12
Hello again, I had a look on the project page GitHub.
I was wondering if it was possible to build it on Visual Studio 2019 CE or if VS2017 is required ?

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
I seem to not have received any notifications regarding new comments, so sorry about that. I am hard at work on improving HiveWE and adding in new features such as an object editor. Many changes needed to be made to the codebase to properly load game data and also being able to save it again, but I have been making great progress. Unfortunately I can't say when 0.7 is due to be released as I very often run into new issues that I need to fix before I can continue.

If you are curious about my activity then you can look at the Github page or message me on here or Discord. Here is a small sneak peek of the Object Editor that is coming in 0.7

upload_2020-6-2_23-48-27.png

Level 12
Wow. What a nice sneak-peak !!!!

I can't wait to be able to work on a real third party WE. Especially as I never had this chance besides Zepir's back in 2004.
Not sure everyone understands that this is the second 3rd party WE in history ?

All other candidates I have read about since my return are extensions of the official WE, but this is a complete different league !

Just want to thank you and everyone else who has worked on this project in advance, as this is going to be huge for the entire community.

Level 12
Just a quick message for anyone reading this thread, I have managed to build the latest version thanks to the help of @eejin .

I still faced a few issues when testing with some of my maps, but I was not that surprised considering the amount of things I tend to tinker with.

The program is really fast. Rendering is really beautiful, the terrain palette is really nice too.
The direct pathing editing is a must have that the official editor will probably never give us.
And I haven't even tested half of the features yet !

Overall, my first impression of the program is the outstanding potential that it holds.
Also, it has no competition whatsoever, since Zepir's WE is the only other third-party World Editor and is completely obsolete.
Remember this is not just an extension of the official WE!

I wish I had more knowledge in coding c++ because then I would be able to help a bit more, because this tool is so unique.

I suppose I can't even imagine what it could become with more contributions, and eventual future interfacing with other tools.

This is just HUGE !

Level 8
Just a quick message for anyone reading this thread, I have managed to build the latest version thanks to the help of @eejin .

I still faced a few issues when testing with some of my maps, but I was not that surprised considering the amount of things I tend to tinker with.

The program is really fast. Rendering is really beautiful, the terrain palette is really nice too.
The direct pathing editing is a must have that the official editor will probably never give us.
And I haven't even tested half of the features yet !

Overall, my first impression of the program is the outstanding potential that it holds.
Also, it has no competition whatsoever, since Zepir's WE is the only other third-party World Editor and is completely obsolete.
Remember this is not just an extension of the official WE!

I wish I had more knowledge in coding c++ because then I would be able to help a bit more, because this tool is so unique.

I suppose I can't even imagine what it could become with more contributions, and eventual future interfacing with other tools.

This is just HUGE !
Did you use VS 19 or VS 17?

Level 12
Yes one must admit this project is a titan's work, I hope more people will be able to help in the future so that the community gets what Blizzard has denied it ; a proper World Editor !

Level 1
Is it Reforged compatible? Cause I cannot select Warcraft III folder - when I do so, program returns to "Select Warcraft Directory" again :/

Level 1
Version 0.6 is not Reforged compatible. I am currently working on version 0.7 which will be compatible with Reforged although I'm not sure when it will be ready to be released.
Thank You very much for quick response, you are doing great job!

Level 1
The current version is not compatible with Reforged. The next version, however, will be compatible with Reforged. I wonder whatever the next version will remain compatible with, let's say, the latest legacy patch, 1.31, or not.

@eejin Any thoughts on that? I heard that you never go backwards for patch versions, so I was afraid you would drop compatibility for legacy patches.

Last edited:

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
@eejin Any thoughts on that? I heard that you never go backwards for patch versions, so I was afraid you would drop compatibility for legacy patches.
HiveWE 0.6 and up require casc so the base version is 1.30. I'm not sure if HiveWE 0.7 will still work on 1.30/1.31 and if it does then it's a happy accident. I won't try and keep compatibility with older WC3 patches. You can always import older maps though!

Level 2
Ive been working on a map off and on for a few years, but I just discovered this tool. Seems cool! Is this similar to WEX? Maybe slightly different, or just better?

I downloaded 0.6 along with 1.31 but it wont run cause my registry is currently set to Reforged. I know how to fix it (I have multiple versions of WC3 installed) just dont feel like changing my registry atm. So I'll probably wait for the next patch since my map is already on 1.32, kinda wish I kept my map on 1.28/WEX a little while longer, but I have little reason for it other than compatibility with legacy players lol

I know Blizzard will probably release 1.33 soon with clan ranks and stuff (hopefully the editor gets some love too) and Im sure you have to keep tweaking things with each new patch, so I hope you are able to release a stable 0.7 shortly after 1.33! fingers-crossed that 1.33 is a solid patch lol

Last edited:

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
It's meant to be a fully custom WE compared to WEX which was a layer on top of the regular WE. Being fully custom will allow for many things such as improved UI/UX, cool features and community updates. I will probably release v0.7 before WC3 1.33 is released (which I expect to be before Christmas).

Level 4
The editing tools are fundamental in the world of gamers, the time when playing was the only intention of the players, is a thing of the past. Today the modder community has a huge influence on the survival of a game. Having the freedom to modify is something that creates a longer life span for a game.
Perhaps games like BFME2, my favorite RTS (undoubtedly), if they had an editor as good as W.E, they would be more successful in the market. Not for nothing, Wc3 is a game that is not out of evidence until today.
To create a more sophisticated editor than WE itself, that would be a real luxury when it comes to Warcraft 3. Perhaps the best thing about Wc3's popularity over other games, is its powerful Map Editor, which for many can it doesn't look like it, but in fact, WE is way above the gameplay itself or even Warcraft game quality. The game is still in demand today, I believe that much more for its editor than for the game itself, through which different games are easily recreated, you are free to produce all the creativity you can imagine without having to be a coding professional.
If we have a powerful editor that has historically been made available by Blizzard, why not make an edit on it. I think the idea of improving it is great so that it increasingly becomes an even better and more practical World Editor.

Now, as for the new tool itself ... aiming at improvements and increasing the possibility of editions for even more differentiated gameplays, I have some suggestions / considerations:

1. Would it be possible through it to create maps with an expanded Doodad limitation, or at least above the limit standard WE., we thought that with Reforged, this time Blizzard would provide us with higher limits to Doodads, but again it will be up to the community to resolve it!

2. Would it be possible to reach maps of 512x512 or even 1024x1024 someday? I'm sure a lot of people don't create better stories or more personalized gameplays due to the 480x480 limitation.

3. In an excessively hypothetical situation: It would be possible to create a “General UI Edition” in which it was able to achieve instantaneous modification of the number of maximum units selected, such as having a selection of 25 units or more simultaneous units, as there is in SC2 . And create on the command buttons loose windows with the capacity to enlarge the size or move, dragging with the mouse, with the possibility of having the number of columns or customizable lines, which would increase the number of slots for spells and items, for example.

4. A general suggestion ... would be to try to get closer to the tools that the StarCraft Editor has and that W.E. still remains without these improvements..

Last edited:
SC2 terrain system is a lot more flexible than WC3. It works by blending repeating textures in various ratios across chunks as opposed to "tiles".

And there's no way to work around that? Maybe calculate the ratios to the greatest texture match? Or import the SC2 map with just a single starting texture?

Level 17
where do i get older releases?
Older versions of HiveWE can also be found on the github, in the releases tab.
You can see which version works with which Warcraft 3 patch here.
I don't recommend using older versions as they are likely to be missing very useful features, get a newer patch of Warcraft instead.

And to someone who asked how to build from source, the instructions are specified on the HiveWE main page on the github, here.

Level 3
Hello sir, I am currently making a 1.32 map, and I am also making a 1.27 map. I want to use your editor, but I don't know how to use it. I am Chinese and English is not very friendly to me, I don't know. Sir, have you ever considered merging certain interfaces and functions of NetEase's we editor? This is the website: 作者之家

This my map for1.32
50999614393_69caf6066c_b.jpg
51000317246_e6d5d326da_b.jpg
50999615433_a0afcfde5d_b.jpg
51000318456_0592ed468a_b.jpg
51000318556_8f774a162d_b.jpg
51000434482_b79542ca27_b.jpg
50999616328_3da08ee1d6_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
Hello sir, I am currently making a 1.32 map, and I am also making a 1.27 map. I want to use your editor, but I don't know how to use it. I am Chinese and English is not very friendly to me, I don't know. Sir, have you ever considered merging certain interfaces and functions of NetEase's we editor? This is the website: 作者之家

This my map for1.32
That looks really good. Currently HiveWE will not work with 1.32, but it will in the future. It will however never support 1.27.
I will work on making some things automatically translated to the language that Warcraft III is running in.