• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #1 - Mighty Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Yeah just suggest don't make custom creatures, normal creatures will also help display a hero being balanced, take on a red creep zone at level 2 and don't come close to dieing... needs work. I suggest RTS since thats the normal ladder type and it would show how the hero keeps game balanced.

Yeah, my warrior is useful for support in his normal form, mainly used for support, helps mortar teams escape attack. He also puts emphasis on the upgrading of others such as priests, use of blacksmith upgrades & gryphon abilities. With them, he becomes a decent melee Dark Paladin. In his second form, he gains some useful new strengths, but it only lasts for about 20 seconds, helps even out his power.

Level 28
Here is my Chaos Fiend and his spells.

Burning Wrath
ChaosFiendBurningWrath.jpg
The fireball creates a fire wich deals damage over time. Targets are stunned if you don't move while casting

Fly
ChaosFiendFly.jpg
Flies up in the air and lands at a desired location (works kinda like blink)

Searing Tracks (passive)
ChaosFiendSearingTracks.jpg
Leaves behind a trail of fire wich deals damage over time

Meteor (ulti)
ChaosFiendMeteor.jpg
Pulls down a meteor to damage enemies in an area. It cracks on impact and splits into 5 pieces, each of them deals damage in a small area.

Level 24
Or I will try a splendid idea,why not use the advantages of models

Such as - Three Headed Hydra,Dwarven Duo,Goblin Trio,Hypogriph mounted by an archer,Wolf mounted by an orc,Two headed Chimaera.

Il use the Three Headed Hydra,Kin for Fire,Min for Ice and Rin for Lightning

Level 11
Thrikodius, your spells are more eye candy than anything, but I love the work you put into them, honestly i would seem like he would get his ass kicked ability wise in the game. Spells aren't too agressive excpet ult, which I say is wonderful. If your done you know you should attach map also so you can turn it in unless it's still sorta a WIP.

Yeah using another spell from another map equals afew things;
1. No originality
2. Lazy-ness
3. Defeats purpose of map

Which I would say the score for that hero should be looOw

And now, I present the final submission of my Hero, the...

Spell 1
Spell 2
BTNVoidWalker.jpg
Death Prophet
BTNShade.jpg
Spell 3
Spell 4
Information
Death Prophet Screenshot - 1.jpg
Death Prophet Screenshot - 2.jpg
Main Attribute:
Intelligence
Attack Range:
Movement Speed:
Model:
Voidwalker
MUI:
No :cry:
GUI:
Yes
Jass:
No
Requires:
"World Editor" and "Wc3 - The Frozen Throne"
Death Prophet Screenshot - 3.jpg
Death Prophet Screenshot - 4.jpg
DP Level 1.JPGDP Level 2.JPG
This Hero was made by
Darky Mephisto
aka
xXMephistoXx
for
The Hive Workshop's Hero Contest
DP Level 3.JPGDP Level 4.JPG

NOTE
The "Ancient Orbs" in this map does not have the "Locust" ability, due to this beeing a test map.
EDIT: Added the map.
EDIT: Renamed the map.

Attachments

• thw_herocontest01xXMephistoXx.w3x
    31.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Level 32
And now, I present the final submission of my Hero, the...
Awesome looking post: outstanding detail and presentation! However, it's not, in fact, a valid submission. Remember to physically attach your hero map (.w3x) to the post before the conclusion of the contest.

Are we allowed to use spells from the maps here to our maps?(with full credit)
Nope:
Hero Spell Requirements
  • Spells MUST be original and created for this contest: no previous works are allowed.
For everyone that's considering the implications of adding a fourth level to any of their hero's spells, just try to keep them balanced by either altering the spell's upgrade criteria, making the fourth level a very small enhancement, or spreading the power from three levels (33/33/33 %) to four (25/25/25/25 %).

Additional innate hero abilities outside of a hero's spell capabilities will likewise require balancing, reducing the power of a hero's spell book to offset the added special ability.

Also, heroes that progress past level 10 would be grossly unbalanced with existing Warcraft III heroes. Remember, the goal of this contest is to create an effective, original, BALANCED hero, not simply one that's "uber-powerful."

Level 11
that makes no sense... it has to be above level 10 if the spells have four levels. How about just have max level 13 to fit all spells that you are asking for and then other hero's attributes would go up with levels also

Level 32
AH, sorry, Wolverabid! I got too caught up in the layout, so I forgot! But hey, can you blame me..? :p

Edited first post.
I grabbed a copy and will take a look later, however:

• Submitted hero maps must be named thw_herocontest01username.w3x
Please rename the map so that we can all distinguish the submissions from one another. Thanks.

that makes no sense... it has to be above level 10 if the spells have four levels. How about just have max level 13 to fit all spells that you are asking for and then other hero's attributes would go up with levels also
"has to be above level 10" Eh? Why not just make the fourth spell tier kick in at say, level nine or ten?

Level 4
Awesome looking post: outstanding detail and presentation! However, it's not, in fact, a valid submission. Remember to physically attach your hero map (.w3x) to the post before the conclusion of the contest.

Nope:
For everyone that's considering the implications of adding a fourth level to any of their hero's spells, just try to keep them balanced by either altering the spell's upgrade criteria, making the fourth level a very small enhancement, or spreading the power from three levels (33/33/33 %) to four (25/25/25/25 %).

Additional innate hero abilities outside of a hero's spell capabilities will likewise require balancing, reducing the power of a hero's spell book to offset the added special ability.

Also, heroes that progress past level 10 would be grossly unbalanced with existing Warcraft III heroes. Remember, the goal of this contest is to create an effective, original, BALANCED hero, not simply one that's "uber-powerful."

Balanced can mean many ways. And I think heroes should be more powerfull than wc3 heroes. There is no point comparing to blizzard heroes since most custom maps are far differend from wc3 gameplay. Even dota has "imba" heroes which can kill you with combo if you are weak, but its same for all heroes in dota so it makes it balanced.

Even if hero has 4level spells so what? It shouldnt be any difference to balance since probly other possible heroes that would be used on that map would have lvl4 spells too.

So as you said. Right back to you "Remember, the goal of this contest is to create an effective, original, BALANCED hero, not simply one that's "uber-powerful.""

Oh, and dont tell me to introduce myself, iv been here since 2005 but forgot my other accounts pswrd and emails pswrd too. shit happens.

Level 11
Yeah thats no help, maybe somehow make a trigger for everyone to use after level 10 heroes don't gain agility, strength, or intelligence. So then it'd be up to use to balance an extra set of spells at level 4

Level 3
Or, they're giving you options. It doesn't say the hero needs to be able to use ALL of their spells. Or even make two physical heroes, one with a cap of 10 and one with a cap of 15 or somesuch thing.

Level 11
Well if i'm making the levels I want them all to be used, unless i'm aloud to have only 3 levels per spell which i'm pretty sure i'm not able to.

Revellion, yeah I have no clue how that would be done, probly would need jass, because i know nothing on GUI that could help, although I could be wrong.

Level 11
I'm not assuming anything till Wolver clears it up. Althought I'm thinking your right, just rather be safe than sorry y'know? Besides two spells already have four levels lmao. Alot of work into each level.

Key words is can and maximum so again not doubting you just wanna make sure.

Level 32
... Althought I'm thinking your right, just rather be safe than sorry y'know? Besides two spells already have four levels ...
Hero Spell Requirements
  • The hero's spells can have 4 levels maximum per spell.
CAN is not the same as MUST.
I've also revised:
  • Four custom spells must be included. (one being a level 6 ultimate).
to read:
Four custom spells must be included. (one being an ultimate at any hero level).
Once again, heroes that progress beyond level ten would, in my opinion, be grossly unbalanced with existing Warcraft III heroes (especially because of the additional hit points which would then be gained, spell considerations aside).

Last edited:
Level 17
Wolver... You're making this horribly hard for us...

We get points for Balance with Warcraft 3 Heroes, right?

You're saying heroes over level 10 would be grossly unbalanced...

You're also saying we MUST have 4 levels for each spell...

Therefore we either get removed from the contest (3 spell levels) or lose lots of points from unbalanced (4 spell levels)...

I suggest you maybe flatten it out Wolver...

Level 3
He's saying FOUR spells that go to level THREE, as far as I understand.

I think he originally said that levels could go up to 4, which I guess you could do, but you wouldn't have a filled spellbook. Personally I'd go with 4 level 3 spells as it's easier in logic.

Also, Wolve made a whining thread for us with problems, yay!

Like i've said:
You can further train a skill, rather than advance a less useful one, or make a seemingly useless ability quite strong. Like lets say you have a hero with these abilities:

Flaming Burst; AOE Spell
Lv1
Deals 50dmg initially, 25 per second
Lv2
Deals 75dmg initially, 60 per second
Lv3
deals 100dmg initially, 10 per second. Lasts a few more seconds.
Lv4 Mastery
deals 115dmg initially, 30 per second. Lasts a few more seconds.

Prowess; roar-type ability
Lv1
Increases all friendly nearby units' attack speeds by 5% for 10 seconds
Lv2
Increases all friendly nearby units' attack speeds by 15% for 20 seconds
Lv3
Increases all friendly nearby units' attack speeds by 30% for 25 seconds
Lv4 Mastery
Increases all of the heroes units' attack speeds by 35% for 20 seconds, while increasing the heroes by 10% for 30 seconds and decreasing enemy units movement speeds by 15%.

Concussion Aura;slowing aura-type ability
Lv1
Slows enemy units by 5%
Lv2
Slows enemy units by 10% and decreases their line of sight
Lv3
Blinds a unit and forces it to stop moving for 2 seconds and slows them by 15% once they can see.
Lv4 Mastery
Blinds a target unit for nearly a second, forcing them to stop moving, also slows their movements by 5% while increasing yours by 15%.

(Ultimate ability)Unequal Fervor;offensive charge-type ability
Lv1
Four bolts of fire blast out from the Hero while he charges at his target. His attack deals 50% damage to nearby enemy units.
Lv2 Mastery
Five bolts of hellfire blast out from the hero while he charges at his target. His attack deals 35% damage to nearby enemy units and stuns them.

See all those?Each ability becomes VERY useful, but is balanced to be relatively close to the lvl3 version. Keep in mind I only just came up with these, and will not be using them in my map.

Status
Not open for further replies.