• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help! Model attaching it's body to other unit in we!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Title says all...
Thx for the help
Btw, the model i use is based off grunt, with ripped head of shaman, modified grunt's weapon, shaman's claw, and a tail of gnoll
I also using these progam
Yobgulfs file converter
Magos
Mdlvis (to see which bone i want to attach)
Geoset merger
Vertex modifier

Level 17
seems that not the problem, i use your method, and having same result again, i think, the problem is from the vertex modif, when i haven't edit it with vertex modif, the model was in good shape, but then after i edit with vertex modif, the model began to screwd up, his body moving to odd place, can we fix this?

Okay, i'll try that, right now, i teaching my lit bro
But i haven't got this bug before, why this can occur?

The problem is most likely that some vertices have been assigned to an invalid vertex group.

But yeah, vertex modifier is an obsolete program and Mdlvis can do everything better.

I think the problem is that you haven't set geosetanims for the merged part.
Lack of geoset anims does not cause any such problems.
The only problems geoset animations can cause are editor/map crashes when assigned to null geosets and incorrect visibility when otherwise set incorrectly.

Lack of geoset anims does not cause any such problems.
Yes, it does.
Care to prove your point?

@nasrudin: but why, when i edit the model in vm, the model broke up?
Attaching it's body to other unit
If you copypaste vertices from a geoset to another one using vertex modify, the pasted vertices may point to invalid vertex groups, thus making the model 'break' and attach parts of it to other models in the game/editor.

Level 17
Have a good read: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=76705

And to that, I will add that I've used the VM for years without experiencing this issue; while the odd time I've tried to do a geomerge, it bugged as mentioned above, because I didn't fix the mdl properly.

Care to prove your point?

Care to prove yours?
thinkya1.gif

@nasrudin: but why, when i edit the model in vm, the model broke up?
Attaching it's body to other unit

I don't really think it was that. Perhaps you just made an error while fixing the geosetanims. Did you test the geomerged model ingame before using the VM?

Care to prove yours?
I have removed geoset animations from a whole lot of wc3 models and the described bug has never happened because of it.

However, that link you provided is about using geoset animations to hide a bone, which is something I've never needed so you are probably correct about it causing bugs in such a case. Also, I would say that in that case the problem is not the lack of geoset animations but having a broken one (even if that problem is apparently fixable by adding a plethora of new geoset animations).

Anyway, why would someone use geoset animations to hide bones instead of geosets?

Level 17
Read that thread better: the OP wasn't trying to hide the bone at all, he just thought it could have been a way to fix the merged part.
And then he had been told that the problem wasn't that, and all he had to do was to add a new geosetanim for the new geoset, and -le gasp! that actually worked.

I have removed geoset animations from a whole lot of wc3 models and the described bug has never happened because of it.

Removed all of them, or or just a selected few? There's a difference.

Either way, that's not what you said before, you think that merging geosets with the VM will assign the new parts to "incorrect" (whatever that means) vertexgroups, wich will in turn stick to other models. So again, can you show a model wich was undoubtely broken by the VM?

EDIT: Also,

I have encountered this countless time when tank turrets flying behind random units.

What?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.