• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[3D Art] First Step to Modeling (Under Construction)

Before we start:
In This Tutorial, I'm Going to Cover the some basic of modeling, common sense of model, Some important fact that You need to know, terminology and the Tools you need to get before enter the Gate of Modeling.

Introduction:
Warcraft Model Have two Format, that is .Mdx and .Mdl. They are both usable when Imported to world editor, But Here are the Different I know Between them
When Making Models, We need to Control the Filesize of model can keep them low, because Warcraft 3 Have a 8MB Limit.

Difference Between .Mdx and .Mdl

.mdl
Differences.mdx
Bigger FilesizeFilesizeLow Filesize
Readable
and Editable
in Text Form
in Notepad
ReasonsCan Only be
Read by Computer
because is more
Compressed
(I think)

So .Mdl or .Mdx?
Some People usually Edit model in .Mdl Form because they can tweak some stuff in Text Form anytime, For me, I just Edit them in .Mdx form, since I don't usually edit them in Text Form. But Worry Not, you can always Convert them with MDLX Converter

What Tool Can you Use?
Free Tools and Download Link

Magos War3Model Editor:
For Finalizing, Geomerge, Export Model from Warcraft and Viewing Model.
Download
Mdlvis:
For Edit/Tweak Create mesh, rigging/boning and Animating, also Optimizing Model.
Download
Matrix Eater:
For Edit Mesh, Transfer Animation and Geomerge. Useful and Powerful WIP tool for Warcraft Model.
Download
Blender:
Advanced Mesh Creation
Download
MDLX Converter:
Convert between .mdx and .mdl.
Download
3DS/OBJ to MDX Converter:
Download
Convert Obj/3ds to Mdx, (Blender can export to .obj format.
Gimp:
For Making Texture
Download

Note: I don't use the tool Below
Gmax:
For animating, can use to create mesh.
Download
Neodex:
GMax addon Support for Warcraft Model
Download

Other Tools Choice (Not Free):

- Milkshape 3d
- 3ds Max
- Photoshop

Mdlvis and Magos Model Editor is Definitely A Must Have in Warcraft Modeling
while you can Choose Milkshape, Blender or 3DS Max as
Big Guns

Fact Need to Know in Model Editor,

Geoset

Material

Texture

Bone

Animation

Basic Control in Model Editor

Particle Emitter

Geoset Animation

Wrapping/UVMapping

Geoset is a Set of vertex, By Using Model Editor, you can Export and Import it between model, In Magos Model Editor, in every model, Geoset is Attached with a Material which gives The Geoset/Mesh it's Texture/Colour, if there is no Material attached, the Geoset will be invisible. This method of Modeling is called Geomerging.
In Model Editor, there is a Geoset Manager

Texture is a 2D Picture that is Wrapped on Model/Meshes, It's Like you wrap a cloth/Paper with colors onto a Empty Sculpture,
There is a Texture Editor in Magos Model Editor. There is In-game texture and Custom Texture, Most of my Model Uses In-game texture because Custom Texture takes up Plenty of Space where Warcraft III Has a 8mb Limit, But Custom Texture Usually Look Better than In-game Texture.

Bone's are related to animation, you attach the Vertex on it, and when you rotate the bone, the Attached Vertex will follow as well. Think of them as Center of Rotation to Place them at the Right Place.

Animation is what make the Model Alive, It means the Movement of the Model, The Model walks, Attack and Death, this all is Animation. This part is Tricky to get started and flaws are very easy to be noticed. But Good animation can change what you think about the model.

I'm Rather weak in this part, but I will explain what I know here, you know those explosion, dust and sparks, you notice in model? Those are particle emitter. Good Particle Emitter can make your model looks powerful.

Geoset Animation is the thing that decide which Geoset appear in which animation, and you can use it to Tint your Model as well.For Examples, notice that corpse in footman model only appear when they decay? or Peasant only has gold Shown when they are in "Stand Gold" animation?

First Step, Exporting Model:
We Now Have the Tools, before we learn to create Model From Scratch, Lets Learn how to Edit the Model First,
First, We need to get a Model to Edit, We can Do that In Magos War3ModelEditor,

Go to Windows->MPQBrowser
1.png
At The MPQBrowser,
Go to File and Choose War3.mpq/War3x.mpq/War3xLocal.mpq/War3Patch.mpq
(Choose one, you can swap anytime you like, they have different Models in it)

Model Usually Locate in War3.mpq and War3x.mpq
2.png
Choose the Model You Want to Edit (Double Click)
3.png
Save and Rename it
File->Save As
4.png
You can Change the Internal Name (Optional)
6.png

Now You Had Exported the Model :D
...................................................................................................
Second Step, Geomerging
Geomerging is the basic way of Modeling, from what I understand, It is the Way you Mix Model Together, For Example, You Take the Grunt Head and Replace the Footman Head.
(Note: Such Simple Edit I say Above like Replacing Head are not good enough to get approval In the Model Section.)

So Lets Make A simple Edit On Making a Footman Wolf Rider. (I'm Not Sure model Like this Is Approvable or not, but At Least it is Kinda Useful)

Now, 1st Step is to Export the Model You needed, In this case, The Footman and the Orc Raider
Path
Footman's : War3.mpq->Units\Human\Footman\Footman.mdx
Orc Raider's : War3.mpq->Units\Orc\Wolfrider\Wolfrider.mdx
Then, You choose which base model you want (Base on the Animation), Since we are using the Orc Raider's Animation, It will be the Base Model.
We Open the Footman Model with Magos War3ModelEditor, And then go to
Windows->Geoset Manager

Geoset is a Group of Vertex that you can Export or Import into Other Model

Since We Want to Mount the Footman, We are going to Export all the Geoset Other than the Corpse geoset.

Just Send this To Graveyard or something First, I really can't stand the Stress of Losing the Wall of Words and I don't know how to Save this thing other than posting it, there are alot more Content Im Going to Add

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Holy shit that's a lot of tools needed. I only got some very basic modeling experience so I can't really tell much. However I am able to create models in Maya, apply a texture to it, and animate it if I want to, and then import it to Unity (Game Engine). All in the same software.

I am quite amazed that you need 5 programs to do stuff in wc3.

enough whining and getting to the tutorial. It looks pretty neat even in the unfinished state. However I suggest using

You can just use 1 or 2 if you want though, I use Blender for scratch made model,
Basicly Like Heavy Factory,
Editing Model and Geomerge, I usually just use Mdlvis and war3modeleditor
Matrix eater, Once use it alot, but now I rarely use it, (mY dAMN Antivirus)

MDLX Converter
For Proper Guide ^ (You can just use war3modeleditor to convert it actually)
3DS/OBJ to MDX Converter:
I don't actually use this ^
Gimp
I make Model with In-game texture, But some ppl wanted to make custom texture

The Tutorial Will Update next week btw,

it seem I can't do it what i say up there, I will do this definitely, but.. I can't promise when it will be done

Last edited: