• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basic Geomerge Tutorial

Hello everyone! In this tutorial you will learn how to make the basic geomerge and start to get used to using the few tools of the trade. The units Can be extracted from the WC3Viewer
Tools Needed
-
WC3Viewer Here
VertexModify Here
GeosetMerger Here
Wc3FileConverter Here

Units -
Footman
Knight

Your end result should look something like this -
yourfirstgeomergeiscomplete.jpg

Alright, to start, put your tools and .mdxs in an easily accessible folder or area of your computer. Open up the Wc3FileConverter. Press "Load File" and choose your .mdx. Sometimes however it shows the opposite (.mdl) so switch the "Files of Type" to the other and then back. Convert both your .mdx files to .mdl and get ready for the next step!
convertbothyourmodelstomdl.jpg
Open up the VertexModify Program. Go to File --> Open --> then select your Footman. Adjust the three screens with the "+", "-", left, right, up, and down buttons until it looks like it is in a good spot. I like to zoom in more on the area I am modifying so it is easier to select the verticies, and I recomend you do the same.
vertexmodifyopenyourmodel.jpg
Select the footmans head, making sure to delete each point, but be caeful not to delete any of the neck or chest of the model. Your screen should look like this. Save your work.
deletetheheadbecomeusedtothetools.jpg
thisiswhatyourscreenshouldlooklike.jpg
Once the head is completely removed, go to File --> Open --> and select the Knight. Make sure you dont delete any parts of the head or hair, but remove everything else. Anything that is not part of the head should be gone.
nowdeletetheknightsbodyswitchgeosets.jpg
When your screen is just one floating head, go on to press File --> Switch Geoset and then select the last one. Delete everything there and then when it prompts you to select another geoset go to the last again (it will tell you to enter in the geoset number twice) Delete everything in every geoset except for the first geoset. Make sure you save.
gotothelastgeosetandselecttheholething.jpg
Open the geoset merger and follow the instructions on the picture.
geosetmerger.jpg
Once you have every field filled in, press the "Merge" button. Open Wc3FileConverter again and convert your newly made .mdl into a .mdx again. Open the WC3Viewer and open up your model with it. The head should be floating in the air above the headless footman.
themodelshouldlooklikethis.jpg
Go back to the VertexModify and open your .mdl. Go to the last geoset and move the head so that it fits into the footman perfectly. For an even better look, press the "scale" button and make it a little bit bigger. Make sure the head is in the middle of his body and it is not forward too much.

Convert your model to a .mdx again and admire your work. :evil: Congradulations, you have just made your first geomerge model!

I hope my tutorial helped all of you ^_^

Level 1
i downloaded the VertexModify and GeosetMerger things but they won't open. says something like file is missing

Level 1
i cant figure out how to move the knights head down onto the footmans body ... when i go to load it onto the vertex modifer the head and the body end up on 2 different geomerge sets

Level 13
dude thnx alot man. Now i can take heads off things put them other bodies then edit the skin and voila my very own model :D thnx alot man. BTW i read oinks tutorial and i wasnt able to do it this one is better :D