1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Create Models only with free tools

Discussion in '3D Modeling Tutorials' started by DonDustin, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    left mouse button = selecting(the red dots are the selected 1s)
    right mouse button= editing (moving/scaling/rotating)

2. Pineapples

Pineapples

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh wow I'm an idiot for not seeing that. Thanks, much appreciated

3. ubran

ubran

Resources:
    Resources:
    i wanted to get mago's model editor, but something went wrong. According to Magos' site, it was direct x, but I couldn't find version 9, and my card is a few numbers back, so it's not compatible with directX 10 :( guess I'll stick to making Gmax shtuff from scratch instead of moving weapons from one unit into a seperate model for my quazicampaignRPG thing.

4. Cicija16

Cicija16

Resources:
    Resources:
    why i couldnt load texture witd MDL Vertex Modifier???

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ... Because the MDL Vertex Modifier only works with MDL (long-form text version of MDX). Which are Warcraft 3 models, with Vertexes. As opposed to Textures, which are 2-D panels of art. With no Vertexes to Modify.

6. willydawiller

willydawiller

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    yea and then...

what do you do when you get runtime error 9 subscript out of range?:bored:

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sorry; not my area of expertise. :/

8. bad6622019

bad6622019

Resources:
    Resources:
    Statue of Liberty model

Will you have the model of the Statue of Liberty? Thanks

9. ninjaen

ninjaen

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont know what it is but i follow all your steps then when i upload the knight portrat it says error overflow something like that in vertex modifier

10. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just download the 1 I have added to my tutorial again.

11. Lambsauce

Lambsauce

Resources:
    Resources:
    hmm don you kinda named it creating modles with onley free tools, what you are actualy doing is skinning a face with onley free tools, lol i dont think its named right, Realy ;D

12. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just did not found the time to move on with it.

But you can expect the next steps in some time.

13. Explosive_Bread

Explosive_Bread

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome tutorial, I'd really like to see the rest.

14. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have an encounter an error today, I change an animation of a VillagerMan.mdl with animations of ForestTroll.mdl. I remove the pickaxe of the villager to became a boxer. And my plan now is to add texture of the Razormane Chieftain to make its body naked. So I right-click the RazormaneChief.blp and use textures. I control+right click the body but it turns black and normal again. No changes happen. Whats wrong? Sorry for my english:p im from philippines:D

15. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well...after clicking on it nothing happens because you just do this to select the geoset you want to edit. After ctrl + right-clicking the geoset you want to edit you will have to select: windows-> material manager.
    You will see that 1 of those materials will have a blue background now.
    That´s the one that you will have to edit.

I hope this made it more clear :)

16. YouCantSeeMe

YouCantSeeMe

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok, when i open the mdl file in Vertex Modifer, my model doesnt look like the one you use?

[​IMG]

17. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I learned quite a lot from the UV-mapping part, thanks for that! :)

18. Mulgrim

Mulgrim

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Do you mean Material EDITOR, or Material MANAGER? Please reply, I don't know where the Material Editor is.

BTW For all who don't know any modeling terms, for example what a geoset is, read the following:

Vertex

A Vertex (plural: vertices) is a point in 3D space. It is used to keep track of the 'parts' of your model (roughly explained).

Face

A Face is what you actually 'see' when looking at a model. It is a triangle shaped object, where its corners are attached to 3 vertices. Why triangles? Well, a triangle is the smallest geometrical figure that can make up all other figures (like squares, cones, blocks and spheres). In the picture below, you can see how the faces makes up different figures.

Mesh

A mesh is a collection of vertices and faces, forming an object of some sort. This can be a box, a sphere or something very complex. Both objects in the picture above are meshes.

Bone

When animating the model, you use so called bones. A bone functions pretty much like bones in the 'real world'. The bones are attached to each other at specific spots, and can not be detached. When you move, the bones affect each others. If you raise your leg the foot follows and so on. It is the bones that you animate when doing an animation. Each bone have some vertices attached to them so the actual model is also animated. You could see this as the flesh and skin follows the bone when the bone moves on a human being.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Straight from Magos's Modelling Tutorial (Which I found very complicated to understand.)

You have to export the image and save it in bmp format (it gives a huge line of format names in "save as") just put .bmp at the end of the name for example Knight.bmp, hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  19. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    there is just 1 option with "material" in it. please dont take every single word so serious. ;)

20. Mulgrim

Mulgrim

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I figured that out not too short after :D Your tutorial is really helpful and understandable (by some) ty for posting it, it helped me with vertex modify and mapping which I had no idea existed. BTW is this the same technique that is used to create most of the models here in THW?