• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create Models only with free tools

Level 3
I got it to work with Kyrbi0s DLL but i still need dll to everyother tools exept the MdlxConv, Kyrbi0 you got them 2?? :D

Level 26
Roguo, there are several tragic bugs with Oinker's. For example, when switching geosets, you MUST select a geoset or it'll crash on you. If placing markers (them blue thingmos) via coordinates, you MUST enter coordinates EVERY time or again, it'll crash. So the best choice there is to place 'em graphically.

Baltross, War3FileConverter v2.1 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
Greatest converter ever! This is the only converter which lets you transfer single animations, as well as occasionally helping to fix odd .mdl occurences.

Level 1
Every time i open the MDL Vertex Modifier, and press: file-->open TheKnight.mdl
then i type geoset 1, and then it says Runtime Error '6': Overflow (and chrashes)
Anyone know what i should do ?

Level 1
hi, I just started this whole model-making business, and I found your guide to be helpful. however, right now I'm kinda stuck at the part where I'm trying to make the textures appear properly on the model. (reread how you did it many times and I still couldn't do mine).

I wanted to make a beardless paladin, using the standard paladin body and VillagerMale head. I was already able to merge the head and the hair onto the paladin's body but the textures are not showing properly (and the pally's cape is also not showing).

anyone know a step by step process I should do to overcome this problem?

much appreciated.

EDIT: after messing around a bit I was able to do it :grin:. unfortunately I have another problem, namely animating the portrait. anyone knows how to do this?

Last edited:
Level 1
I'm severely stuck at the part were you need to UV map the knight's head into a half. Even with the addition of pictures i can't seem to move the points around or delete them or anything (even using the 'move' button). Please help a noob in need?

Level 5
i wanted to get mago's model editor, but something went wrong. According to Magos' site, it was direct x, but I couldn't find version 9, and my card is a few numbers back, so it's not compatible with directX 10 :( guess I'll stick to making Gmax shtuff from scratch instead of moving weapons from one unit into a seperate model for my quazicampaignRPG thing.

I have an encounter an error today, I change an animation of a VillagerMan.mdl with animations of ForestTroll.mdl. I remove the pickaxe of the villager to became a boxer. And my plan now is to add texture of the Razormane Chieftain to make its body naked. So I right-click the RazormaneChief.blp and use textures. I control+right click the body but it turns black and normal again. No changes happen. Whats wrong? Sorry for my english:p im from philippines:D

Level 26
I have an encounter an error today, I change an animation of a VillagerMan.mdl with animations of ForestTroll.mdl. I remove the pickaxe of the villager to became a boxer. And my plan now is to add texture of the Razormane Chieftain to make its body naked. So I right-click the RazormaneChief.blp and use textures. I control+right click the body but it turns black and normal again. No changes happen. Whats wrong? Sorry for my english:p im from philippines:D

well...after clicking on it nothing happens because you just do this to select the geoset you want to edit. After ctrl + right-clicking the geoset you want to edit you will have to select: windows-> material manager.
You will see that 1 of those materials will have a blue background now.
That´s the one that you will have to edit.

I hope this made it more clear :)

Level 4
ok, when i open the mdl file in Vertex Modifer, my model doesnt look like the one you use?

Unavngivet-1.gif

Level 15
DonDustin said:
we right click the texture in the mpq browser now and selct: use as texture.
Then we will hold ctrl and left click the head.
We open the Material Editor now and select the blue marked Material.
Now we change the texture to the magnataur texture.
The head will look like this now:

Do you mean Material EDITOR, or Material MANAGER? Please reply, I don't know where the Material Editor is.

BTW For all who don't know any modeling terms, for example what a geoset is, read the following:

Vertex

A Vertex (plural: vertices) is a point in 3D space. It is used to keep track of the 'parts' of your model (roughly explained).

Face

A Face is what you actually 'see' when looking at a model. It is a triangle shaped object, where its corners are attached to 3 vertices. Why triangles? Well, a triangle is the smallest geometrical figure that can make up all other figures (like squares, cones, blocks and spheres). In the picture below, you can see how the faces makes up different figures.

Mesh

A mesh is a collection of vertices and faces, forming an object of some sort. This can be a box, a sphere or something very complex. Both objects in the picture above are meshes.

Bone

When animating the model, you use so called bones. A bone functions pretty much like bones in the 'real world'. The bones are attached to each other at specific spots, and can not be detached. When you move, the bones affect each others. If you raise your leg the foot follows and so on. It is the bones that you animate when doing an animation. Each bone have some vertices attached to them so the actual model is also animated. You could see this as the flesh and skin follows the bone when the bone moves on a human being.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Straight from Magos's Modelling Tutorial (Which I found very complicated to understand.)

I have one qustion:
How can I load the Image in the Vertex Modifier (UV Mapping)
The first problem is that i can only find jpeg pictures.
The second problem is that i converted the magnataur.blp.mdx (or .mdl) to a Jpeg but if i load This Image i get an Error.
Would be nice if ucould help me.

You have to export the image and save it in bmp format (it gives a huge line of format names in "save as") just put .bmp at the end of the name for example Knight.bmp, hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 15
Yes, I figured that out not too short after :D Your tutorial is really helpful and understandable (by some) ty for posting it, it helped me with vertex modify and mapping which I had no idea existed. BTW is this the same technique that is used to create most of the models here in THW?

Level 26
Yes, I figured that out not too short after :D Your tutorial is really helpful and understandable (by some) ty for posting it, it helped me with vertex modify and mapping which I had no idea existed. BTW is this the same technique that is used to create most of the models here in THW?
the content of this tu torial is just a part of creating a model.
But it is 1 of the most important parts because it leads you away from simple geoset merging.

Level 26
uhm ... i don't get a shit load of this :S with the magos model editor, you mean war3 model editor right? and what the hell is a geoset ???

magos model editor= war3 model editor

Geoset: an easy definition would be: every part of a model that uses the same texture is pu together into one geoset

in this tutorial you can find some more definitions of modeling terms: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/modeling-and-animation-101-a-41840/

and one more thing, when you write all that stuff in the beginning, what stuff you need, you either call them different names or use additional other stuff then the stuff in the beginningDX

huh?

Level 5
we right click the texture in the mpq browser now and selct: use as texture.
Then we will hold ctrl and left click the head.
We open the Material Editor now and select the blue marked Material.
Now we change the texture to the magnataur texture.
The head will look like this now:

How exactly do we "change the texture to the magnataur texture" from the point where you "select the blue marked Material" i see no option after selecting the blue marked material

EDIT: Never mind, i was opening the texture manager, thanks for the tutorial, great job, got it to work perfectly after that XD

Level 4
i cant use war3modeleditor beacause my computer says that the component d3dx9_35.dll couldn't be found. what do i do ?

please answer !!

i soo dearly wanna make models or at least skins, but i cant do that if all programs are , sorry, F#"!#d up. PLEASE ANSWER AND EXPLAIN !!!

Level 3
How About?

How About The Windows 7?

What Decimal That I Will Insert In Regional And Language Options In Windows 7?:con:

Please Tell Me Because When I Insert The Decimal From This Link:
http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/tutorialrunprogram.html

It Didn`t Work I Repeat It In Many Times:sad:

It Really Didn`t Work For Me And I Have The File Of The _______.OCX

It Really Didn`t Work.Why?Why?Why?:cry:

Please Help Me:cry:

Level 3
Very cool tutorial. I know I screwed up somewhere around the magnataur texture thing cause everything just stopped going well/working at the point. 5/5 +rep :D.

Level 4
yeahj i finally got all programs up and running. so anyway, i was thinking of might saying sorry for my recent posts, and to THANK YOU for helping me with this. jesus god, i can finally create my own custom models, first up is my demon version of druid of the claw. ill tell you more later. well anyway, thx alot, but i still need to ask a few questions. first, which is the file converter ?

nvm found it ^^

fuuck.jpg now that just pisses me of ...:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Attachments

• fuuck.jpg
    fuuck.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 121
Level 3
The guide is very nice and i'm using it - following all the steps. However, i'm stuck with Vertex Modifier! Namely, whenever i open it i encounter next message: Warning: you are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting. Go to oinkerwinkle tutorials to change that setting. I have Windows Vista, i have tried to open the program as administrator or as with Windows XP compatible and so on, but i can not get rid of that message. The problem is, that i can not open ANY .mdl. Can anybody help me out here?

Level 26
The guide is very nice and i'm using it - following all the steps. However, i'm stuck with Vertex Modifier! Namely, whenever i open it i encounter next message: Warning: you are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting. Go to oinkerwinkle tutorials to change that setting. I have Windows Vista, i have tried to open the program as administrator or as with Windows XP compatible and so on, but i can not get rid of that message. The problem is, that i can not open ANY .mdl. Can anybody help me out here?

http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/tutorialrunprogram.html

here is written what you have to do with xp. I guess it is pretty much the same for vista.

Level 3
Thank for help DonDustin!
I have one more question about the this guide. DonDustin you say this: "That´s why we have to put 1 half of the face on the other half. We are mirroring the face that way. That way we will have the whole head covered with the texture and not only 1 half of it." But what i don't get is HOW exactly do you mirror this? There are following functions that can be executed by right-click: Select (selecting the dots), Add (i don't really understand the function of this), Deselect (deselecting the selected dots), Move (moving the model), Rotate (rotate the model), Scale (enabling to change the size of the model), X and Y buttons (here i don't really understand the function of these two too), Remap (to change the corner from where the viewer watches: Front, Top, Left) and Save Changes.
How do you mirror the way you have suggested it on your picture i can't figure out! However i thought of different way how to do it: marking the left side (w/o touching the mid dots) and scale it to dot (shrink thus), and then moving that scaled part to one of mid dots. But it doesn't look fitting to what you were explaining. Can you help out in that part?!

Level 26
Thank for help DonDustin!
I have one more question about the this guide. DonDustin you say this: "That´s why we have to put 1 half of the face on the other half. We are mirroring the face that way. That way we will have the whole head covered with the texture and not only 1 half of it." But what i don't get is HOW exactly do you mirror this? There are following functions that can be executed by right-click: Select (selecting the dots), Add (i don't really understand the function of this), Deselect (deselecting the selected dots), Move (moving the model), Rotate (rotate the model), Scale (enabling to change the size of the model), X and Y buttons (here i don't really understand the function of these two too), Remap (to change the corner from where the viewer watches: Front, Top, Left) and Save Changes.
How do you mirror the way you have suggested it on your picture i can't figure out! However i thought of different way how to do it: marking the left side (w/o touching the mid dots) and scale it to dot (shrink thus), and then moving that scaled part to one of mid dots. But it doesn't look fitting to what you were explaining. Can you help out in that part?!

ok first of all:
add: adds additional dots to your selection
x and y: if they are locked, the selected dots won´t move or scale into its direction.
And how you mirror:
there isn´t acutally a mirroring option, but we make a different thing that has the same effect.You simply select every dot of the face for example and select remap-front after that. You will see that a line of dots goes through the middle of the face. This is our border. After that you lock y and move every single dot individually from one site of the border to its counter-part on the other side. This will be our mirroring effect.

Level 3
ok first of all:
add: adds additional dots to your selection
x and y: if they are locked, the selected dots won´t move or scale into its direction.
And how you mirror:
there isn´t acutally a mirroring option, but we make a different thing that has the same effect.You simply select every dot of the face for example and select remap-front after that. You will see that a line of dots goes through the middle of the face. This is our border. After that you lock y and move every single dot individually from one site of the border to its counter-part on the other side. This will be our mirroring effect.

Once again thanks for help DonDustin. Must admit, it is a routine work to do that way, but it works.

Level 1
I have the same problem as the last reply, i dont know how i have to do to use
me:eekani:

This says something about i dont have war3modeleditor.exe, but it says that i have to reinstall and I dont know what I have to install,

PLEASE HELP

thanks

Last edited: