1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Event]: Elysium

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Pharaoh_, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo_sluf

neo_sluf

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is a good idea.. but i hope i can see at least 3 teams.. we should encourage new members and modders since they have more motivation to explore modding...

2. aaron

aaron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    oo this will be interesting.

3. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What a weird event.
    What is the factor that should motivate project teams to leave their current work for working on this event?
    I don't see any good sense in getting a Hosted Project place for a temporary occupation.
    Why don't you let the winning team decide which project they want to become hosted?

You are setting the deadlines too short. I believe a great number of possible participants needs 7 days to read this thread. Extent it to a month and you have the chance of getting at least one project group.
    Also I recommend you to add dates instead of the amount of days left.

Also you are posting this event public seeable for the whole community. Since you are referring to the spell and jass section it is clear to me that this will be a Warcraft 3 event. But why do you limit it like this. Why not Starcraft 2?

Edit: And why is this event not in the notices? I personally have seen this event because I am at work. At home I go to the forum site directly and skip the news page.

4. jxtranghero

jxtranghero

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wish I could join but I am too busy @work right now :goblin_cry::goblin_cry:

5. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    More projects today are composed of a single person. Should this include new teams?

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What is an Event but a glorified Contest? It's a huge competition/occasion that pits users/teams of users against each other in a challenge with parameters, promising a prize for winning in a poll/judging. It's a big, giant, Contest.

That's not bad, per say, but why the distinction?

It's not a matter of 'demotivating' and 'prescient'. It's fully within our rights to voice complaints, and I would argue that it is essential that the pros & cons of such endeavor be weighed.

You have pointed out the pros (or at least, it's assumed you believe in the event & will defend it), it should be expected that people are going to raise pertinent questions & issues. Let's all just talk about this.

Perhaps I read it wrong, but it seems like a thing where we are buliding building a team for this event. I don't have a Team currently, though if I did, I won't think we'd all be keen on working on this. Also, the winner gets all that stuff (hosted project page, front page article, etc)... But for a side-project being used for this Event, I'd rather my data not be taken or whatever (the less I have, the more we're set. But they get it for some side project used for an Event, not, like, their actual real project?? It all just seems rather... contrived, to me. Or perhaps 'artificial'. :< Though perhaps I don't understand what you meant.

//EDIT// It was totally ~2am when I was typing this; sorry for the typo, and the total NONSENSE in that last bit. xD

7. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not a matter of having a right to voice your opinion (because I never denied that), I just saw you off-topically request Arena contests and this is why I said that this is an event and has nothing to do with the Arena. Since you need reasoning behind the labeling, Arena promises reputation, events encompass more complex awards and had/have/will have certain requirements (in this case, only projects can join).

In the end, since there's only a day left for sign-ups, if it doesn't work out, then well, it all comes down to "not every contest/event is destined to be successful". This particular event was designed like this; if people are not interested or out of time, then I may redesign it in the future.

Finally, I should mention that I have seen multiple projects to plan the implementation of certain features, but they are out of motivation. Given this event, they would finally get to do it with the prospect of a forum dedicated to their project. The event wasn't looking for completely new projects, this is why it didn't have conceptual and gameplay limitations, it was only looking for refreshing ideas, which could motivate the project's team to incorporate into their very own map.

8. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys! Event sounds like fun!

Is the joining for this already closed, or would I be able to try to get the Heaven's Fall dev team to try to join? Where can I find the list of contestants?

Do I understand the idea correctly -- that the Heaven's Fall creators could make some Heaven's Fall maps as the entries, or something -- then enter those?

(Edit: Also what if the Heaven's Fall dev team gets super pumped, makes some stuff, then doesn't finish anything good in time? Is there any "cost" to attempting to enter and then failing? Seems like it could be worth it even if it didn't work out.)

(So... The Heaven's Fall Dev Team consists mostly of myself, I'm partly just trying to learn what's still open here after forgetting to post for a couple of days. I think I originally saw this one while at work. Anyway, if entries are still open, it seems like it might be nice to get some other one-man-team people like myself and have us work together? Just a thought.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.