• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HERO CONTEST #7 - ALTAR/TAVERN Series

What kind of Hero Contest would YOU enjoy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you are using a custom criteria table. I was using labels from the previous Hero Contests. Why is it that you have changed them?
What does wc3c have to do with the criteria of Hive's Arena? We were using the old criteria table for the previous one and we had 28 entries (which I think was a record for this type of contest). Most of all, I fail to see how wc3c having had 3 hero contests overall would constitute the 'norm' - because they were infrequent, people were starving to participate.

I only used faction, because it was your latest description of what this contest is about. If you want to make a clear distinction between race and faction, then you should change the title (because a) it's unclear at the moment and b) WarCraft melee is not based on factions - it is based on races). Your description is contradicting; you say that neutral races are out of question, but a hybrid neutral one isn't. Don't you see that people will take advantage of this and ultimately include neutrals, which again allows any race, which by extension takes us back to what I was saying: At the moment, you take something regular/expected and you turn it into a theme. This contest lacks a definition, this was my point all the way.

Not that it matters, but yes, I have participated in two Hero Contests (#2 and #3, if I recall correctly, then I was managing the Arena and was hosting them instead).

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
WarCraft melee is not based on factions - it is based on races). Your description is contradicting; you say that neutral races are out of question, but a hybrid neutral one isn't. Don't you see that people will take advantage of this and ultimately include neutrals, which again allows any race, which by extension takes us back to what I was saying: At the moment, you take something regular/expected and you turn it into a theme. This contest lacks a definition, this was my point all the way.

I agree with you on a basis that the contest lacks a theme that defines the way the hero is played, but disagree with your explanation of why it's a poor contest theme.

Can people make essentially any hero into a hybrid-neutral/faction one? Of course they can. A dark troll can be made a horde hero just as well as dark ranger fits with horde.

This leaves lore design (and judgment criteria) to how well a contestant can define their character to a race/faction.

But you're thinking of things way too conceptually. The contest is intended to measure:

1: That you can make a hero that fits thematically and conceptually into a hero tavern. Obviously wc3's lore puts beastmaster in a neutral tavern instead of an orc altar for good reason.

2: That you can make a good hero design (in terms of gameplay) that also fits his lore and appearance.

Just chill out and start the contest. No one is going to start complaining that Kibri0 made A wolf hero in the horde altar, and it totally belongs in the neutral tavern! because no one gives a shit about such pedanticism in relation to lore (because who gives a shit about lore anyway?)

Kybri0's explanation that "Basically, a strong distinction between "Faction" and "Race" is important. Make a Hero that is of any Race in any (of the four) Faction(s)." isn't a great one, but it's good enough for me.

Actually I didn't say that hybrids should be disallowed, I only mentioned it so that I could get some explanation on what Kyrbi0 said. All that I see here is "Free-themed", which should eventually be the name of the contest.

I have no issues hosting a free-themed one, but then again, #1 and #2 were also free of theme. But if the majority is fine with it, just send me a pm with the layout and I'll post it or create a thread and ask for it to be moved.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Actually I didn't say that hybrids should be disallowed, I only mentioned it so that I could get some explanation on what Kyrbi0 said. All that I see here is "Free-themed", which should eventually be the name of the contest.

I have no issues hosting a free-themed one, but then again, #1 and #2 were also free of theme. But if the majority is fine with it, just send me a pm with the layout and I'll post it or create a thread and ask for it to be moved.

It's not *really* free-themed. I could argue all day that "Jim raynor went back in time to join the aliance" but I'm pretty sure I'd get a fat zero on my score card for that.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Criminy, you guys are fast... I'm sorry, I am working on a response to your remarks Pharaoh, but I had to get my car towed. This evening (& weekend) is busy, but if worse comes to worse just copy/paste the appropriate sections ("Racial-Altar" Themed, "Solo (In-Game Resources)" Styled). I can come back after the weekend and fix the bits that were intentionally left out.

~~~

Not going to join the argument. I'm only a fetus. But anyways, please start a contest soon.
Oh nonsense; please do! I don't want to monopolize this thread with just the two of us, and I'd love to have some outside input. Am I crazy? What're the pros and cons, as you see them? I honestly feel I am doing this for the betterment of these contests & this site, but I've been wrong before. : )

Well, you are using a custom criteria table. I was using labels from the previous Hero Contests. Why is it that you have changed them?
That is true; I hope others (have) notice(d) as well. I have changed them because I feel that the Hero Contests in the past have been, well, lacking. Lacking in direction, lacking in clear & concise guidelines... Now I'm not saying they were 'failures' or 'lame overall' or anything. I mean, we're not talking about "no one joined" or "all the entries stunk"; that's obviously false. Plenty of people joined, had fun, made some cool stuff.

However, looking back at nearly every Contest that matters most to me (Hero, Zephyr, Techtree, etc), I have noticed a string of poor choices in terms of contest design & parameters. As I've said many times, look at the last Hero Contest; it left much to be desired in terms of such design parameters (what kind of hero, the map to build on, judging criteria, etc). I'm speaking both as an outside observer (watching the contest start & trying to help make it better) and as an insider, a contestant (trying to perform in the contest, doing 'ok' but totally being buried by the lack of certain standards).

I decided that instead of sitting around & griping pointlessly, annoying everyone each time a contest came around, I would take the initiative & take a positive approach; provide an alternative that (I feel) addresses the concerns I've been raising for years now.

Pharaoh said:
What does wc3c have to do with the criteria of Hive's Arena? We were using the old criteria table for the previous one and we had 28 entries (which I think was a record for this type of contest). Most of all, I fail to see how wc3c having had 3 hero contests overall would constitute the 'norm' - because they were infrequent, people were starving to participate.
I'm not sure where I talked about the "constituting the 'norm'"...

However, I suppose the point is, it shouldn't matter where an idea comes from, if it is good. If I was on a forum for a book series, or a popular hair-care product, and I saw them running a contest in a good way, it would make sense to, perhaps, 'take a leaf from their book'. How would I know it was good? Because I can see the fruits (whether that contest is successful).

And in my opinion, those three contests (which, yes, happen to be at Wc3C) are excellent examples of how a Hero Contest can be run, with some of the best & most creative work to come out of Wc3 Modding to date. It's not just about the number of entries, but the quality of the entries, as well as the ease, equity & excitement with which the judging/voting is done.

Pharaoh said:
I only used faction, because it was your latest description of what this contest is about. If you want to make a clear distinction between race and faction, then you should change the title (because a) it's unclear at the moment ...
A) That is a fair point. Unfortunately the terminology is so stuck for most people... Technically all this stuff should be a "Faction-Creation Contest", or perhaps a "Techtree Contest". Even (my vaunted) Wc3C gave it the silly title "Race-Building Contest" (some were building just one race (most even), but not all). (holy cow, I'm really getting myself into trouble, trying to start up 2 contests like this in such short order... I'm getting them all confused :p).

Technically it should be a "Make a Hero for this Faction" Contest, essentially; however, we are all so 'stuck' & used to using "Race" for the 4 Races (there we go again) Factions of regular melee/ladder/in-game/standard (<- there's another term we all use interchangeably, but isn't) Wc3, that I generally just stick with what people know & say "Racial".

Besides, you of all people should know the name isn't set in stone. : / Didn't you change the name of the Modeling Contest I hosted?

Pharaoh said:
...and b) WarCraft melee is not based on factions - it is based on races).
B) !!!
I'm sorry, what? I'm not sure that could be more incorrect. If you can name one of Warcraft's 'playable 4' that is made up of merely one 'race', I'll step down (and "Undead" doesn't count as a race : )...).

Warcraft 3 is based off the concept, idea, and paradigm of "Factions"; groups of individuals from different races banded together towards a common goal.
(I've done the whole "table-thing" so much lately, I'll refrain for the sake of time. But please, if you're interested, hit me up; I'd love to go into more detail & discussion about this topic).
Humans & Orcs are the most obvious in this, with an obvious "main race" and 2 obvious "sub-races" (2 heroes per main-race, 1 per sub-race). Undead are a little trickier, but they do have "Living/Cult-members/Lost Souls", "True Undead", "Demons" and "Nerubians", where the Night Elves have "Night Elves (Male & Female are almost different enough for races...)" and "Woodland Creatures/Spirits".

Pharaoh said:
Your description is contradicting; you say that neutral races are out of question, but a hybrid neutral one isn't. Don't you see that people will take advantage of this and ultimately include neutrals, which again allows any race, which by extension takes us back to what I was saying:...
I apologize if I contradicted or failed to make sense. I guess I am willing to admit that I would not be super-stringent about this issue; Blizzard could've added the Beastmaster to the Horde quite easily, in my opinion (however, it makes just as much sense to have him not be and be Neutral/Mercenary instead). So if someone wants to "bend" their submission a bit, eh... But I would try to discourage it. Stick to the primary 'Races' in the 4 main "Factions" (or, alternatively, stick to any other non-Faction Race for the Tavern-one).
**this gets tricky if you say "wait, I made a Human ___; can't a Human be in the Tavern as well as the Alliance? Yeeeeeeaaaaahhh....

Pharaoh said:
...At the moment, you take something regular/expected and you turn it into a theme. This contest lacks a definition, this was my point all the way.
Well, I guess I just disagree. Or at least, I'll accept that you feel this contest's theme is a little too simple, or staid, or boring... But we've had all these crazy contests recently (sci-fi, invasion of burning legion, avatar, etc), that I feel a return to the basics will provide lots of interesting fodder regardless. More importantly, it's not "Theme-less" as the first two Hero Contests were; it's very specifically "a hero made as an addition to the regular melee game of Warcraft 3 (either a Faction or the Tavern)". That cuts out a lot, but still leaves all of Azeroth. : )

~~~

Cokemonkey said:
I agree with you on a basis that the contest lacks a theme that defines the way the hero is played, but disagree with your explanation of why it's a poor contest theme.

Can people make essentially any hero into a hybrid-neutral/faction one? Of course they can. A dark troll can be made a horde hero just as well as dark ranger fits with horde.

This leaves lore design (and judgment criteria) to how well a contestant can define their character to a race/faction.

Just chill out and start the contest. No one is going to start complaining that Kibri0 made A wolf hero in the horde altar, and it totally belongs in the neutral tavern! because no one gives a shit about such pedanticism in relation to lore (because who gives a shit about lore anyway?)
Thanks for popping by. : )

I generally agree with what you're saying, except for the bit about the Lore; I'm actually quite interested in the Lore & invested in seeing it followed. Like I said to Pharaoh, some people may stretch, but I'd like to see people work within the boundaries that are set; true creativity requires parameters. Now, will they "lose the game" if they don't? Well, nope. But hopefully Judges will take that into account (since the Criteria definitely do, at least in some small part).

Cokemonkey said:
But you're thinking of things way too conceptually. The contest is intended to measure:

1: That you can make a hero that fits thematically and conceptually into a hero tavern. Obviously wc3's lore puts beastmaster in a neutral tavern instead of an orc altar for good reason.

2: That you can make a good hero design (in terms of gameplay) that also fits his lore and appearance.

Kybri0's explanation that "Basically, a strong distinction between "Faction" and "Race" is important. Make a Hero that is of any Race in any (of the four) Faction(s)." isn't a great one, but it's good enough for me.
Lol, not great enough? What can I do better? : )

~~~

Pharaoh, I see your point; Cokemonkey said one thing but couldn't/wouldn't explain. I would say that the Theme to a Hero is very important; it should dictate the kind of spells they can use & how they look & such (things like "how they are used in gameplay" or "how well it works with other units/heroes" falls more under Role/Style to me). However, the Theme of the Contest is a different beast; it should be a concept that acts as a springboard or fount of ideas; it should provide certain parameters about what is or isn't included. The Theme of the Hero (evil undead mage; loyal human commander; crafty werewolf hunter; etc) and the Theme of the Contest (Forest-dwellers; Alliance champions; science-fiction dudes; Twisting nether Denizens; etc) are similar & important, but not necessarily the same.

Oh nonsense; please do! I don't want to monopolize this thread with just the two of us, and I'd love to have some outside input. Am I crazy? What're the pros and cons, as you see them? I honestly feel I am doing this for the betterment of these contests & this site, but I've been wrong before. : )
Fetuses (fetii? fetuu?) don't have eyes but okay. As I see it, the contest theme might be a bit lacking, but is sufficient enough to be a Hero Contest.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Fetuses (fetii? fetuu?) don't have eyes but okay. As I see it, the contest theme might be a bit lacking, but is sufficient enough to be a Hero Contest.
Hm. Well if you think about it, technically this "Theme" has never been done before on this site (it was 'contained' within the first 2 (being un-Themed), but then technically all of them were, so I hardly think that counts :p)... So thinking about it that way, it's unique.

It's also kinda my personal 'cup 'o herbal teal'; seeing people make Heroes that could fit into either the Tavern or the 4 Factions is what I love doing, and the most "pure" and "useful" form of Hero design (<-- purely subjective opinion here, folks; AoS's could perhaps be designated even 'purer', I suppose, since it's all about Heroes) for Wc3 modding. In terms of Role, it restricts people down from big flashy AoS-y Heroes and super-powered Arena heroes, but leaves the whole world of strategy & tactics available to Blizzard in the first place. In terms of Theme it also restricts people away from sci-fi or real-life or lord of the rings, but leaves all of Azeroth at their disposal.

But that's just me. I'm sure we'll have an "AoS/Arena Hero Contest" before too long, and I support that (though I don't personally like those kind of Heroes/Contests).

So yeah. Something that's never been done (to this level of specificity), check; something that is a challenge to do right, check; something with very specific parameters but also very many choices, check.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~update~

Alright, so with things settling down & the Poll definitely strongly leaning towards Racial/Altar Heroes and Solo (In-Game Resources) (*sniff*, was hoping for Team-based, but oh well...), let's figure out when people are available. Post availability (as far as you know) here!

MOST AVAILABLE:
07.01.14 - 07.14.14 (next two weeks)

MIGHT KINDA BE AVAILABLE STILL:
07.14.14 - 08.18.14 (rest of Summer)

PROBABLY VERY BUSY:
08.18.14 - 12.14.14 (Fall term)

PROBABLY GOOD UNLESS I WORK LIKE A MADMAN DURING BREAK:
12.14.14 - 01.05.15 (Winter Break)

So yeah. The sooner the better.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thanks guys (though you're not making my job any easier, lol) for commenting.

And hey, a few more votes for "Team-Based" and we could get some SERIOUS BSNSS up in this contest; I'm dying to see how THW treats the super-awexome "Artists & Coders UNITE" theme. : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~Double Post~

Hey, I just realized I should probably be putting up the Pastebin with my proposed Contest write-up, so that people can critique it.

Here we go

I'm especially looking for thoughts on the Criteria & the Judging/Polling methods; one thing I hadn't considered was to have the Poll merely used to pick the "top 3" (or 5 or whatever) for the Judges to then grade (meaning the Poll would have nothing to do with the score, technically).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am almost entirely in agree-ance with this. My time is short (mortal), but I'll try.

However, do you all think the proposed Contest Thread I linked to is OK? (I know for a fact it needs at least 1 big change, in the voting/judging section... :p).

Level 18
Voted:
1) Racial/Altar Hero: cause for me creating things that work along with already stablish races is more difficult and rewarding.

2) Team-based: I am a rookie modeler, and my coding skills are too basic (only some GUI) to participate on a competitive level. Thus pairing with a coder would be way to enter a contest like this one, plus entries would be much more awesome (usufull) if you get both impresive mechanics (coded spells) paired with matching custom aesthetics (modelling).

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
How about we select a neutral hero then we remake their skills? Like for example, we remake Firelord with custom abilities?
That's...* Actually a really interesting idea (esp. if we do any hero & encourage people to change the Role of the hero while maintaining Theme: a vicious warrior-lord Paladin, a caster-like Brewmaster, a tank-y Blademaster, a caster-like Crypt Lord, etc).

However, that's probably better to go in a "next Hero Contest Idea Submission thread", since this thread is more about "Here's an Idea: Do you like it & what Form shall it take?", and enough people have posted/voted that it's pretty much a done-deal.

That being said, I'd love to see your idea become a Contest in the future.* Sounds neat. : )

Almia said:
If not, then I like Neutral(Reason : Not a racist)
Cool, thanks for voting.

Voted:
1) Racial/Altar Hero: cause for me creating things that work along with already stablish races is more difficult and rewarding.

2) Team-based: I am a rookie modeler, and my coding skills are too basic (only some GUI) to participate on a competitive level. Thus pairing with a coder would be way to enter a contest like this one, plus entries would be much more awesome (usufull) if you get both impresive mechanics (coded spells) paired with matching custom aesthetics (modelling).
Thanks for voting!

NO THANKS for evening up the score, lol :p.* We finally had a majority, and now it's tied.

Well...* I wouldn't mind a bit more discussion, but Keiji has already indicated a willingness to Host this, and with the greater majority having voted/posted for the other (Solo - In-Game Resources), I think we may just end up sticking with that.

That being said, stick around (& see below); I'd love to have a "Team-based Hero Contest" f'serious up in here.* Had a blast with those in the Wc3C Hero Contests. : )

II was kinda okay with the In Game Resources. :cry:
Lol, so was I...* Really I'm good for either (and technically would LOVE to get a Team-based version going), but a "Solo-In-Game-Resources" is a lot simpler (i.e. quicker for me to do) & will really "even the playing field".

Though if people like it enough, there's nothing that says we can't do something like this again; this type of "multifaceted" Contest idea is nice because it allows several permutations (Neutral - Solo - In-Game Resources // Racial - Team - Custom Resources // Neutral - Solo - Custom // Racial - Solo - Custom // Neutral - Team - Custom // etc...).

So, I'll host this whenever you chaps can decide on either solo or team-based.
- Doesn't the poll have a time limit? >.>
Yeah, lemme just see if anyone has any more thoughts.

Lol NAWP. I probably should've had a time-limit... But I didn't know when we'd be starting. As it was, it would've ended a loooong time ago.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Solo, In Game Resources.
(Even though you did vote on the 2nd part, for "Team-Based"...?)

Alright, well that's good enough for me; that would put us at "8 vs 11" for the 2nd part of the poll, with "Solo - InGame Resources" winning. If people are OK with this, I'll go ahead & PM Keiji to

START

THIS

THING

UP.

Astaroth Zion, GreeN!X, hiphop4eva, kari0003, Miss_Foxy, rulerofiron99, Vermillion Edict... Please stick around. I'd love to get a Team-based Contest going on after this one if people still like it. I voted for it, too, so you know I'll be there. : )

Awexome-sauce.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
By the way, everyone; Keiji requested I simply make a true "submission" thread & then he can move it: after a bit more discussion I think we'll be ready. : )

Question:
What is Solo - InGame resources ?
Should've been explained in the first (few) post(s)... But basically compare it to the other 2 Poll options it's associated with:

Team-Based - is an exciting new option to Hero Contests at the Hive, pioneered & perfected at Wc3C! An Artist & a Coder join forces to create amazing custom artwork for amazing custom spells in order to make the best hero design!

Solo - is the standard, awexome option of many Hero Contests here in the past; one person creates an entire hero themselves & puts it out there. "Solo" thus has two options:
- Custom Resources: Allows the entrant to use custom resources for their submission (the amount/type/etc would be determined pre-Contest via a Poll or Thread)
- In-Game Resources: Entrants are creatively constrained to the existing resources in Warcraft 3, and encouraged to utilize resourcefulness (much like the geomergers & in-game-texturers of the Hive do). Minor pragmatic/non-aesthetic custom stuff (i.e. a no-model Dummy Caster, Hero Glow to non-Hero models, Dummy Projectile model, etc) are allowed.

Hope that helps!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So...
no...

CODING??? T^T
I... Don't understand the question. Of course there's coding? That's kinda a big part (perhaps up to 50%) of the "judge-able" stuff... The rest is just design & aesthetics & balance and what-not. But Coding's there..

Actually if you check the "submission thread" I linked, I include a post asking for help determining what the "Coding Criteria" section should look like, and you're just the guy to help out... What are the important bits to that/What should be graded?

Racial/Altar means it must be one of the 4 races should be balanced with melee?
Umm... Yeah. Should be somewhere in the first post... But a big part of my attempt to structure & submit this Contest Idea was to also take a bit better control over the way the Contest was run & under what guidelines/parameters. One of those was to specify that Heroes should be made to "fit" into Warcraft 3 "standard/melee gameplay"; i.e. be compatible with (buff-stacking, no ability repeats), not be game-breaking (not just balance (numbers), but avoiding knockbacks & map-wide abilities & flashy cinematic abilities, etc), etc.

And then yes, overall Hero design was meant to be "balanced" vs. melee, so put them in-game & play a round or two, making sure your "Undead Archer" plays well with the Death Knight & Lich, or your "Dwarven Beardbreaker" meshes nicely with the Archmage & Mountain King, etc.

Ideally this Contest is saying "Take the existing (4) Factions (H/O/U/N) & come up with a balanced 5th Hero to bolster the ranks & "fill a gap" in the Faction... But it doesn't have to be (if you REALLY want to, make a (4th!) STR hero for the Undead...). But yeah, balanced, compatible, fun. : )

Does that help?

Level 18
Cool, thanks for voting.

Thanks for voting!

NO THANKS for evening up the score, lol :p.* We finally had a majority, and now it's tied.
:ogre_hurrhurr:

Astaroth Zion, GreeN!X, hiphop4eva, kari0003, Miss_Foxy, rulerofiron99, Vermillion Edict... Please stick around. I'd love to get a Team-based Contest going on after this one if people still like it. I voted for it, too, so you know I'll be there. : )
Sure I will stick around for newer contests. Though right now the contest I am eager to participate in is the Tech Tree.

Keep up, and thanks for working so hard on the arena section.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Keep up, and thanks for working so hard on the arena section.
Thanks!

So after the HC 7 thread closes we start HC 8 and 9, team based and hero reworks?
Well, while I'd love for all my ideas to unilaterally take over the (Hero) Contest section, that wouldn't be all that fair. :p Rather, when we're ready for the next one a Poll should go up with all the options people want to pursue (including Team-Based, Solo-InGame, Solo-Custom, Hero Rework, etc).

People's desires change over time, so let's not hastily lock ourselves in. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.