• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Event]: Elysium

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture85330.png

Learn to conquer your goals.

Project teams will gather to compete with other project teams, in order to receive the following awards:

• A Hosted Project forum specifically targeted to the winning team.
  • An automatic placement in the poll for the upcoming Project of the Month.
  • A "Latest Updates and News" thread to promote the project.

Your task is to gather most or all of your project's members, in order to create three (3) different maps. The event will be divided in three (3) different phases and be comprised of the following tasks:

• A 32x32 map.
  • A 64x64 map.
  • A 128x128 map.

The difficulty escalates, as the maps' dimensions increase. The point is to create something as unique as possible; it cannot rely on a feature that you already have in your project, but it has to be something new.

We are looking for something innovative and refreshing, which you can ultimately utilize for your very own project, along with the chance to claim the aforementioned prizes!
This is a map-making event and we want to see how you are working as a team and how your composition will allow you to come up with something unique.

The first batch of entries will be judged on the 32x32 map, the reviews will be delivered for feedback and the cycle will be repeated for the rest of the tasks (namely, 64x64 and 128x128).

160036-albums4747-picture59725.png

Read carefully

• One member cannot occupy the space of more than one team simultaneously.
  • You cannot appoint members specifically for this event. The members will have to belong to the team.
  • There will be a strict observation of edits of posts & topics, to ensure that you are not modifying information particularly for the event.
  • The teams are expected to select a leading member, who will be delivering the map file and its updates (if any). You are not forced to post Work in Progress, but it is advisable, given that there will be a public poll contributing to the result. However, it is mandatory that you describe the feature to the judges before handing out your entry (something that you must do within the timeframe provided below (see Contest Deadline)).
  • You are allowed to use snippets and systems from our Spells and/or Jass section(s).
  • You are allowed to create models or textures specifically for the demands of the event.
  • You are allowed to upload your entry on the Maps section, even before the event's termination.
  • Asking questions in help zones, such as Triggers & Scripts or World Editor Help Zone is allowed.
  • Requests are not allowed - you must make use of your team's skills. General public is advised to report suspicious acts through the Report system or Staff Contact.
  • Low-populated projects can still compete, it is not anyone's responsibility if you find it unfair after you have signed up or after the initiation of the event.
  • Your entries must be working. Bugs, lack of coding or non-working resources will heavily affect your score.
  • Your entries and your team's behavior are subject to Site Rules.
  • You are allowed to use resources that you have been using for your project, but the gameplay should feature something new.
  • The setting and gameplay is up to your team's decision. It does not necessarily have to follow the gameplay or aesthetics of your current project, but it is not forbidden either.
  • An already hosted project cannot participate in the event.
  • You can use a feature that you have created for a previous task in your next one. For instance, you create a feature in the 64x64 map; you are able to use the same feature in the 128x128 map, but you are required to either enhance it or add (an) additional one(s). In this sense, the tasks are independent from each other and they will be judged separately, but if you put minimal effort to the next maps, it will violate the whole concept of being creative.
  • Your map must be playable. There is no limit to how many features you can implement and there is also no file size limit. A map that is rich of features does not guarantee quality: pick wisely and communicate with your team to carefully determine what is going to be added.
  • The public poll will weigh 25% and the judges' reviews 75%.
  • Judges, who have been previously approved under Can I be a judge?, who are comfortable with reviewing maps and are able to stick to the deadlines, can contact me. People wanting to review, but have not undertaken the tasks I assign, are not eligible to join. However, feel free to contact me for general approval.
  • A judge cannot be a contestant at the same time.
  • In case the rules are broken, you are automatically disqualified with a private message.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

• You are given 7 days to decide which members are going to participate and to elect a leader (if there isn't any).
  • Members that are working in more than one projects should consider right away which team they are going to compete for.
  • Once you have confirmed your teams and the leading member, post here with the following format:
    TeamName
    Team Members: (Specify names, separated by comma)
    Original Project: (Link to your project (Map Section or Map Development))
    Rough concept: (Give a brief description of what you are going to do)
    This has to be done within the given 7 days.
  • You will have 15 days to work on each task with a break of 7 days in-between.
<TeamName> represents your team. Pick your very own name (which is also subject to Site Rules)!
[box=NameOfTeam]Team Members:
Original Project:
Rough concept: [/box]

If we are a team of one may we still enter?

This is a bit risky, since, in the case you go inactive, there won't be anyone else to back you up with the project and push the updates.

However, yes, you're still allowed, just keep in mind
• Low-populated projects can still compete, it is not anyone's responsibility if you find it unfair after you have signed up or after the initiation of the event.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Kam said:
If we are a team of one may we still enter?
KAM! Don't go alone; take this! :D

I think this will barely have any participants (that manage to finish their entry/ies). Asking them to create 3 maps is too much considering there aren't that many active modders.
^

I too am very concerned about the sheer breadth & depth that is apparently being expected of in this contest. While I'm all for sites pursuing big "event-type" competitions to bring out a variety of talents, I worry that, like the ill-fated Hive Olympics of 2008* (of similar bent & of which I was an avid contestant), this is simply too much work in such a short time for a busy community.

I think the community is better served by more frequent contests that are a tad smaller in scope. Notice I'm not having an issue with any contest that dabbles in more than one discipline; my Hero Contest submission has clear guidelines & provisions for a Team-based version. However, it keeps the team-size appropriately low (2) and the nature of the contest is that only a certain amount of effort is expected (1-2 resources (model, texture, etc; matching icons, maybe SFX, whatnot) // 1 complete hero (skillset & attribute balancing; Theme & Role considerations)).

Perhaps things like this have worked here, but in my experience they have not. I understand the desire to "contest"; it is summer and people are (slightly) more free. So definitely, let's get more contests (plural) up in here! : )

Thoughts?

*Now granted, that same Olympics resulted in the creation of some pretty schweet model resources (Hook Horror, Undead Stableyard, Wraith Lord, Silver Hand Knight, etc...), but still. :p

Level 31
This is a really big event, I thought of participating, yet due to so short time given I may not. Some things are not clear for me, so 3 maps are to be made, is there a rule what kind of maps should be made, genres? And winners gets hosted project forum, so all 3 maps are considered as one project? And within completion of the maps, winners gets an opportunity to develope map(s) further in size and content even though entries seem to be complete? I respect it all, yet to my mind the amount of maps should be narrowed to 1 and the pool of time increased drasticly, just a suggestion of my own.

The point of the event is for teams to cope with intense map-making for three tasks and encourage the contemplation of strategies that will make it feasible within the given timeframe. This will eventually allow you to apply such strategies in your very own project as well, where, the case of you not having the project finished is purported to be a result of inefficient teamwork.

At the same time, it gives you the opportunity to make a stable identity with your team and have a recognizable name. Usually, we tend to remember a project by the name of the author, but we forget the behind-the-scenes valuable work of other members.

As per the genre, it is explicitly stated that you are free to create any kind of genre and gameplay.

The reason why the tasks are 3 and not 1 is because it is far more interesting than having to review one map, which would then require the following:
  • Increase the map's dimensions requirement; if not, then it's basically what the current Mini-Mapping contest stands for.
  • In the case of bigger dimensions, you will feel compelled to create a piece of similar complexity to your main project, which is not the point of the event.

Regarding the difficulty, this is why you are allowed to use features from previous tasks to your following ones; this is also why the maps' dimensions range from the very lowest to the moderate.

Level 23
This is a really big event, I thought of participating, yet due to so short time given I may not. Some things are not clear for me, so 3 maps are to be made, is there a rule what kind of maps should be made, genres? And winners gets hosted project forum, so all 3 maps are considered as one project? And within completion of the maps, winners gets an opportunity to develope map(s) further in size and content even though entries seem to be complete? I respect it all, yet to my mind the amount of maps should be narrowed to 1 and the pool of time increased drasticly, just a suggestion of my own.

I agree with AP with the work time increase. I mean the mini-mapping contestants were given 30 days to create a 32x32 minigame yet there are very few who were able to complete.

EDIT:
On second thought, I guess if these maps were to be hosted, it would be okay to leave them with low-decent quality during the contest proper and just improve them later. Hm..

Level 31
On second thought, I guess if these maps were to be hosted, it would be okay to leave them with low-decent quality during the contest proper and just improve them later. Hm..
This most likely would promote lots of criticism from jury towards projects being incomplete, and competitors might abuse it, making low quality content and presenting an excuse of short time given or being in an early beta/alpha stage.

Level 23
This most likely would promote lots of criticism from jury towards projects being incomplete, and competitors might abuse it, making low quality content and presenting an excuse of short time given or being in an early beta/alpha stage.

Hm. Yeah, that would probably (or most likely) be the case. But as long as it's playable right? Besides, it's the contestant's score that's going to suffer. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
The point of the event is for teams to cope with intense map-making for three tasks and encourage the contemplation of strategies that will make it feasible within the given timeframe. This will eventually allow you to apply such strategies in your very own project as well, where, the case of you not having the project finished is purported to be a result of inefficient teamwork.

At the same time, it gives you the opportunity to make a stable identity with your team and have a recognizable name. Usually, we tend to remember a project by the name of the author, but we forget the behind-the-scenes valuable work of other members.

As per the genre, it is explicitly stated that you are free to create any kind of genre and gameplay.

The reason why the tasks are 3 and not 1 is because it is far more interesting than having to review one map, which would then require the following:
  • Increase the map's dimensions requirement; if not, then it's basically what the current Mini-Mapping contest stands for.
  • In the case of bigger dimensions, you will feel compelled to create a piece of similar complexity to your main project, which is not the point of the event.

Regarding the difficulty, this is why you are allowed to use features from previous tasks to your following ones; this is also why the maps' dimensions range from the very lowest to the moderate.
Hm. Well, I understand your reasoning, but I'm just not sure something like that will be successful here, nor if it's all that well-received. Ah dannae, prove me wrong; are there a lot of people excited about this? Personally, I'd rather see Techtree, Story, Zephyr, Hero, & Terraining contests start.

This is an event guys, with the prizes being completely different from the traditional Arena's and is not bound or related to it (mainly why it is being posted within this forum). I honestly don't understand why those who are not interested are being demotivating and prescient of the outcome. If you want a contest, contact any moderator and we will approve it - it's just a contest; how often do you see events around? This is a chance for a team to be given a forum for their project. You have 4 days left!

Level 13
What a weird event.
What is the factor that should motivate project teams to leave their current work for working on this event?
I don't see any good sense in getting a Hosted Project place for a temporary occupation.
Why don't you let the winning team decide which project they want to become hosted?

You are setting the deadlines too short. I believe a great number of possible participants needs 7 days to read this thread. Extent it to a month and you have the chance of getting at least one project group.
Also I recommend you to add dates instead of the amount of days left.

Also you are posting this event public seeable for the whole community. Since you are referring to the spell and jass section it is clear to me that this will be a Warcraft 3 event. But why do you limit it like this. Why not Starcraft 2?

Edit: And why is this event not in the notices? I personally have seen this event because I am at work. At home I go to the forum site directly and skip the news page.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is an event guys, with the prizes being completely different from the traditional Arena's and is not bound or related to it (mainly why it is being posted within this forum).
What is an Event but a glorified Contest? It's a huge competition/occasion that pits users/teams of users against each other in a challenge with parameters, promising a prize for winning in a poll/judging. It's a big, giant, Contest.

That's not bad, per say, but why the distinction?

Pharaoh said:
I honestly don't understand why those who are not interested are being demotivating and prescient of the outcome.
It's not a matter of 'demotivating' and 'prescient'. It's fully within our rights to voice complaints, and I would argue that it is essential that the pros & cons of such endeavor be weighed.

You have pointed out the pros (or at least, it's assumed you believe in the event & will defend it), it should be expected that people are going to raise pertinent questions & issues. Let's all just talk about this.

Pharaoh said:
This is a chance for a team to be given a forum for their project. You have 4 days left!
Perhaps I read it wrong, but it seems like a thing where we are buliding building a team for this event. I don't have a Team currently, though if I did, I won't think we'd all be keen on working on this. Also, the winner gets all that stuff (hosted project page, front page article, etc)... But for a side-project being used for this Event, I'd rather my data not be taken or whatever (the less I have, the more we're set. But they get it for some side project used for an Event, not, like, their actual real project?? It all just seems rather... contrived, to me. Or perhaps 'artificial'. :< Though perhaps I don't understand what you meant.

//EDIT// It was totally ~2am when I was typing this; sorry for the typo, and the total NONSENSE in that last bit. xD

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is an event guys, with the prizes being completely different from the traditional Arena's and is not bound or related to it (mainly why it is being posted within this forum).
What is an Event but a glorified Contest? It's a huge competition/occasion that pits users/teams of users against each other in a challenge with parameters, promising a prize for winning in a poll/judging. It's a big, giant, Contest.

Pharaoh said:
I honestly don't understand why those who are not interested are being demotivating and prescient of the outcome.
It's not a matter of 'demotivating' and 'prescient'. It's fully within our rights to voice complaints, and I would argue that it is essential that the pros & cons of such endeavor be weighed.

You have pointed out the pros (or at least, it's assumed you believe in the event & will defend it), it should be expected that people are going to raise pertinent questions & issues. Let's all just talk about this.

Pharaoh said:
This is a chance for a team to be given a forum for their project. You have 4 days left!
Perhaps I read it wrong, but it seems like a thing where we are buliding building a team for this event. I don't have a Team currently, though if I did, I won't think we'd all be keen on working on this. Also, the winner gets all that stuff (hosted project page, front page article, etc)... But for a side-project being used for this Event, I'd rather my data not be taken or whatever (the less I have, the more we're set. But they get it for some side project used for an Event, not, like, their actual real project?? It all just seems rather... contrived, to me. Or perhaps 'artificial'. :< Though perhaps I don't understand what you meant.

//EDIT// It was totally ~2am when I was typing this; sorry for the typo, and the total NONSENSE in that last bit. xD

It's not a matter of having a right to voice your opinion (because I never denied that), I just saw you off-topically request Arena contests and this is why I said that this is an event and has nothing to do with the Arena. Since you need reasoning behind the labeling, Arena promises reputation, events encompass more complex awards and had/have/will have certain requirements (in this case, only projects can join).

In the end, since there's only a day left for sign-ups, if it doesn't work out, then well, it all comes down to "not every contest/event is destined to be successful". This particular event was designed like this; if people are not interested or out of time, then I may redesign it in the future.

Finally, I should mention that I have seen multiple projects to plan the implementation of certain features, but they are out of motivation. Given this event, they would finally get to do it with the prospect of a forum dedicated to their project. The event wasn't looking for completely new projects, this is why it didn't have conceptual and gameplay limitations, it was only looking for refreshing ideas, which could motivate the project's team to incorporate into their very own map.

Hey guys! Event sounds like fun!

Is the joining for this already closed, or would I be able to try to get the Heaven's Fall dev team to try to join? Where can I find the list of contestants?

Do I understand the idea correctly -- that the Heaven's Fall creators could make some Heaven's Fall maps as the entries, or something -- then enter those?

(Edit: Also what if the Heaven's Fall dev team gets super pumped, makes some stuff, then doesn't finish anything good in time? Is there any "cost" to attempting to enter and then failing? Seems like it could be worth it even if it didn't work out.)

(So... The Heaven's Fall Dev Team consists mostly of myself, I'm partly just trying to learn what's still open here after forgetting to post for a couple of days. I think I originally saw this one while at work. Anyway, if entries are still open, it seems like it might be nice to get some other one-man-team people like myself and have us work together? Just a thought.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.