Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Dont make mods, boycott Reforged [EULA Update]

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Nudl9, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Blarto

Blarto

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well we need an actual lawyer or judge here. Technically, Blizzard doesn't consciously choose what to distribute, its users do. And lets assume there's no proof the original author uploads the map to bnet, but its some random user instead. There's no staff at blizzard approving it what to publish on battle.net (yet), let alone a para-legal officer that knows the law, so I'm not sure what EU judge would say about this.

If you distribute via github under some license (GPL or otherwise), and never use new bnet/wc3 (in a capacity a legal-discovery-action or judge can't prove), then I'm pretty sure that license takes precedence 100% of the time. How much money will you win? who knows. Blizzard can just comply and delete the maps instead, and pay some minor Fine to the EU/USA or whatever country fined them for breach.

Chinese law is different. If you live in Asia, you can pretty much steal entire wc3 source code and no one would care (see Netease). I mean Activision-Blizzard can send ninjas to remove you I guess.

2. Drake53

Drake53

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agreed.

I think if Blizzard rejects the license, this should be treated similarly as a map that contains copyrighted 3rd party content. For this, their shiny new 'report map' button could be used.

For me it's not about the money, only for Blizzard it is, otherwise their EULA would've been similar to that of sites like youtube:

3. kovadarra

kovadarra

Resources:
    Resources:
    They couldn't take down policy-infringing maps in the past because they were peer-hosted, that is, the players downloaded the map off the hosting player, right? When they host the downloads on their servers, only then can they curate the maps.

I want to use copyrighted music or whatever content in my map, so I can't develop for Reforged. I can make single player maps and refer players to 1.31 installation (or do single-player maps in 1.32 bypass curation?). Then, if some community 1.31 server surfaces, I could even make multiplayer maps.

I've noticed people deplore waiving one's work to Blizzard. All my code is useless outside of WC3 any way so I don't care about Blizzard claiming my code, whatever that even means. I do acknowledge this is different for those making visual assets.

4. catlover47

catlover47

Resources:
    Resources:
    yo man i just like makin maps

5. Blarto

Blarto

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This is why ultimately this EULA doesn't matter. Sure copyright your music/art if you wanna feel safe. But its Blizzard effectively laying claim to a dumpster bin and telling everyone they own it now. They don't need to steal anything, as they easily just replicate your art/code with their own internal staff. I mean Warcraft/Starcraft is "stolen" from Warhammer/Warhammer40k. They can easily do the same for this "next DOTA" or w/e.

So yeah. GJ Blizzard you own it now. Enjoy evicting the "hobos".

Ironically enough, I'm pretty sure the Copyright-stealing Chinese Netease Wc3 has a better and safer modding scene now. People are even making money off it.

6. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    These arguments are complete ass because they all rely on Blizzard unintentionally agreeing to something through backwords wording in the contract you are writing. You cannot unintentionally agree to something. For a contract to exist there much be clear intentions to create a legal relationship between both parties.

7. Drake53

Drake53

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just like their EULA then.

8. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    When you use the term license, unless you want to contribute to the terminologic mess, always specify if you are refering to a the license of an intellectual property right (ie. copyright) or to information as a whole ("software license"). On this last case, maybe there is information that is protected by copyright or other IP. But maybe not. Or not all of it.
    When you use it to identify composite agreements like the Blizzard's EULA you are kissing corporations asses every time.

Speaking of copyright, don't fear the Custom Game Use policy so much but rather fear the fact that, as the WorldEditor is indeed a game editor and not a Game Engine, most of your works will be an enormous catalog of loose modifications (not even protected by copyright) and derivative works (protected if you have a copyright license to do derivative works).
    The status of derivative works, the gross of modding, got more precarious with the update of the Custom Game Use Policy on a clause that nobody speaked of yet. I wrote an enormous wall just here but erased it.
    There could be rare cases of original works. The line between a derivative work and an original work is perhaps one of the most debatable topics of copyright law ever and on the case of wc3 modding has some complex aspects. Here the hammer must fall. I also wrote a fucking wall just here but i erased it too. Who cares.
    If all of you really want to escape any power play of Blizzard then you must first purge all your assets and maps from their material (ie. custom models with custom textures). I saw on the map section a handful examples of entire maps with not a single asset of Blizzard (direct or indirectly) and with a game experience completely different, so maybe we actually have cases of complete original works. Some use copyrighted material from a third party which is even more dangerous though. Only these authors can reasonably worry about their copyrights. And on these cases, as i said, there are key aspects you could just know of your copyright law or consumer law so you don't worry too much about the EULA.

9. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It has been a couple of months. Are there any updates on Blizzard's policies?
    Specifically I'm interested if they enforce the part about all maps with 3rd party copyrighted content being banned. Has anyone's map got banned? Are 'copyrighted' games being hosted and played?

A bit of context:

10. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    The reddit post below sums it up, more or less:

[​IMG]

Blizzard makes various small changes, but nothing substantial. Not even basic functionality for either multiplayer (ladder, tournaments, chat), or singleplayer (custom games & campaigns). For two months now. Just as you pointed out. Just look at comments from new patch notes page.

Honestly, I am starting to feel bit sorry for blizz devs. The execs deserved this 100%, but the poor devs man...

Attached Files:

11. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    this one is intended to cover blizz on any kind of court, its not like they're haunting for those maps willingly. If somebody complains they will act, but otherwise - it's extra work with no money included, so they wont give a fuck

12. Selaya

Selaya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Their very own fucking damn fault for lacking the acumen to discern that this venture's doomed from the get-go.
    If you sign up for a cruise on a ship that's fucking leaking everywhere, don't complain about the inevitable, ensuing shipwreck.

13. InsaneMonster

InsaneMonster

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think most devs in AAA companies have less rights and freedom in their own creative work that we are lead to believe...

14. Blarto

Blarto

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That is correct. The video game industry as a whole has been on a steady decline (some might go as far as to say it's a crash) since the 2009-2012 period. Some critics even say Golden age of gaming was from the late 1990s to 2010.

As a result, there is less profit to go around, which means the devs will make concessions, as they gotta make money somehow. Those concessions include losing creative rights and flat out submission to more ruthless business practices and the people who promote them. I've seen many a-good-game ruined by trashy business practices such as ruthless monatization of base features. But that's life. We gotta wait for this garbage to blow over and the industry to start-a-new.

One can only hope AB leaves Wc3 alone and doesn't shove Microtransaction garbage down our throats, but it seems the intent to push "modern" monatization practices is there already.

15. Jahjahbinks

Jahjahbinks

Resources:
    Resources:
    Morally--this makes me want to not make maps.
    Logically--I realize it doesnt matter, I'm not going to make dota3, even so, who knows if the eula would stand
    Realistically--Reforged has demoralized me and near routed my love for Wc3. Love makes you see things that arent there yet. So I have lost fucks to give to creating maps.

16. Lothar1994

Lothar1994

Resources:
    Resources:
    i was going to make some lord of the rings style melee siges from the Shadow of War (Minas Ithil), Amol Sul, Fornost, Carn Dum Battle for Middle Earth II Rise of the Which King, Minas Tirith, Helms Deep, Edoras, and Dol Guldur. i guessing these would get demanded to be taken down or what not?

I feel like making a similar shirt like the gun owner shirt of "I will not comply" but for the Eula. having the Warcraft 3 Reforged logo in the back with the letters EULA in a Red circle with a line through it and the words the words " I Will not Comply". maybe i will now that i think about it.

Edit: just made a 1920x1080 wallpaper. I used to love making maps. i just tried to import and edit the texture paths and the import manager seems broken. so long as this game's EULA remains this way and the map editor remain broken like this (only from what i could find) i not playing or making anything. I probably go back to making SWTOR and Warcraft based Skyrim Followers. if anyone here plays Skyrim and would like some followers made from warcraft just look up Arturios on Nexusmods thats me. can't do anything too advanced just yet but i am getting there.

here my new wallpaper for my pc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Map Designer

Map Designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    isnt that self-contradictory statement? is it written by blizzard? how can someone else own MY map? ; nevermind that wasnt written by blizzard

so if @Ralle update his WC3, blizzard can shut down hive workshop? wtf

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where do you get such unthoughtful ideas from?

19. Map Designer

Map Designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    they can ask development of any map to cease!!!
    thats non-sense lol
    Edit: ah my bad,
    they cant shut down my maps becuz I still didnt update from 1.26

Edit: not that I think this should hold for those who updated. such conditions are non conditions in my eye. I guess the law is the same too, but I cant be 100% sure.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You're referring to maps now, before it was about the site...
    Make up your mind.