• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... do people really care about mods for Warcraft 3? and by mods I mean things with their own executables (Nirvana, Heaven's Fall, Warcraft 3 Reborn, etc) though I imagine altered melees like Beyond the Throne and Warhammer: Eternal Strife would qualify just as much.

I myself made a mod a while back called Four Empires, in the hopes that I could create new gameplay within Warcraft 3, but alas my skills then were rather limited and while I managed to achieve the wanted aesthetic (by using a stupid amount of dummy units), it does have some performance issues, and no AI. So now I want to do one last mod before I move on from WarCraft 3, but I want to make it right. So I posted up 'job openings', as it were, in the recruitment forum and it's been several days... with minimal replies. I'm unsure if it's because everyone is browsing The Hive Workshop on their phones and can't read the image posts, or that the recruitment post is just not getting enough exposure... or just that people don't care about mods :(

Care to share your thoughts on the issue?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Fancy project.

I think people care very much about those mods. However they are not at the hive (only Nirvana which is in Chinese..) which makes them harder to find.

The reason about the lack of replies is likely that not as many check out the Project Recruitment forum. Mostly newbies use that forum as they actually need help, and as such it will be hard to find experienced vJASSers through that subforum (for example).

I for one has not checked it out for.. ages..

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So... do people really care about mods for Warcraft 3?
I sure hope so, though it won't change my intent to finish my own doohickey's. To be honest, at over a decade in age, I wouldn't be surprised if interest in mods is declining. It'd be sad, but true.

Part of the issue is just how big they are; checking out a model or a spell or even a map isn't a big investment, but a mod/campaign/techtree can be a rather daunting deal.

Spellbound said:
...So now I want to do one last mod before I move on from WarCraft 3, but I want to make it right.
Say Whaaaat?
Seriously. though. Sad news. :<

Spellbound said:
...and it's been several days... with minimal replies. ... or that the recruitment post is just not getting enough exposure... or just that people don't care about mods :(

Care to share your thoughts on the issue?
Sure. I just did above. :p

To clarify/commiserate, though, I'll say that you are not alone. From my end of things, I post a lot on other people's stuff, try to show interest & offer advice... But my topics (almost any topic I make, honestly) are incredibly barren of responses, for great periods of time. Most of the time it's a select few that bothers to respond; many of my Requests and "notices" and "idea" threads are just arid wastelands. My "magnum opus" topic, the topic (on Wc3C) for all my 'custom race creation" is a good example; handful of "respondents", interspersed occasionally.

/selfobsessedgripe

Anyway, my point is; "yeah, seems about par for the course". I'm not really sure what gets people interested & posting on an idea (e.g. Tomoraider's series, etc).

:<

(for what it's worth, I posted on your topic to (hopefully) give it some more exposure)

Part of the issue is just how big they are; checking out a model or a spell or even a map isn't a big investment, but a mod/campaign/techtree can be a rather daunting deal.

Campaigns seem rather popular if I'm not mistaken, but I see what you mean. I tried making the information as easy to understand as possible, but I guess it still not enough.

Seriously. though. Sad news. :<

Sad because it's my last project?

To clarify/commiserate, though, I'll say that you are not alone. From my end of things, I post a lot on other people's stuff, try to show interest & offer advice... But my topics (almost any topic I make, honestly) are incredibly barren of responses, for great periods of time. Most of the time it's a select few that bothers to respond; many of my Requests and "notices" and "idea" threads are just arid wastelands. My "magnum opus" topic, the topic (on Wc3C) for all my 'custom race creation" is a good example; handful of "respondents", interspersed occasionally.

/selfobsessedgripe

Anyway, my point is; "yeah, seems about par for the course". I'm not really sure what gets people interested & posting on an idea (e.g. Tomoraider's series, etc).

:<

(for what it's worth, I posted on your topic to (hopefully) give it some more exposure)
I guess we all need to learn Russian (hurry up, Duolinguo!). Over on XGM, the modding community seems to be in full swing xD

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Campaigns seem rather popular if I'm not mistaken, but I see what you mean. I tried making the information as easy to understand as possible, but I guess it still not enough.[/quote[
I suppose that's true.

(Referring to the bolded section): See, that's the thing; you really can't internalize like that. I suppose it's better than 'externalizing' everything ("grr, no one looks at my stuff, they're all doing something wrong"), but 'internalizing' can be just as damaging ("grr, no one looks at my stuff, I must be doing something wrong").

Spellbound said:
Sad because it's my last project?
Uh, yeah. Are you, like, leaving the community as well? Or just giving up working on anything else?

I suppose that's true.

(Referring to the bolded section): See, that's the thing; you really can't internalize like that. I suppose it's better than 'externalizing' everything ("grr, no one looks at my stuff, they're all doing something wrong"), but 'internalizing' can be just as damaging ("grr, no one looks at my stuff, I must be doing something wrong").

I studied graphic design - the instinct to self-blame is there because any failure to get people interested is a failure at marketing your 'product'. That's the main reason for the fancy graphics. In retrospect, however, it might have been a problem with exposure rather than presentation.

Uh, yeah. Are you, like, leaving the community as well? Or just giving up working on anything else?

I miiiiiight have something else in mind, but essentially what I plan to do after DoL is transition on to Starcraft 2 (what with LotV coming out soon) and perhaps even try some Fallout 4 modding next year when the Creation Kit comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.