• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

action/hack and slash mods, is that possible?

Level 4

Guys, I'm completely new to programming and game engines and so I don't know if it's possible, but can you make mods for Warcraft 3 in an action/hack and slash gameplay?? I don't know if you know a game called Spartan Total Warrior, on PS2 and nowadays on cell phones, it seems perfect for Warcraft mods in an action/hack and slash gameplay... is that possible?

About Spartan Total Warrior:

Guys, I'm completely new to programming and game engines and so I don't know if it's possible, but can you make mods for Warcraft 3 in an action/hack and slash gameplay?? I don't know if you know a game called Spartan Total Warrior, on PS2 and nowadays on cell phones, it seems perfect for Warcraft mods in an action/hack and slash gameplay... is that possible?​

About Spartan Total Warrior:​

Yes, you'll be surprised what wc3 even reforged can do.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It's an RTS engine, and a 20 year old one at that, it's not designed for anything other than RTS games. A game that's meant to be played with a controller that relies on fast input and chained together combos will feel fairly unresponsive on this engine. That being said, it's definitely still possible and if done right you could make something fun.

Here's a great example:
I remember playing this a while back and thinking how impressive everything was - minus the controls, but that was due to the engine's limitations and not a fault of the mapmaker.

But if you're serious about making games and ready to leap into the world of game development then I would suggest learning a free game engine like Unity, Godot, or Unreal. The online multiplayer stuff, particularly for Unity (the one I have experience with) is extremely easy to use. Plus you'll be creating something that exists outside of a 20 year old game with "dead" or even worse "destructive" support. Yes, you lose out on the awesome art/audio assets that Warcraft 3 provides, and the free server hosting with 24 player multiplayer is amazing, but in return you gain complete control over your vision. Of course, it all depends on how much time and energy you're willing to put into it. Warcraft 3 produces some damn good and fast results, nothing really compares to it in that regard.

Last edited:
Level 4
It's an RTS engine, and a 20 year old one at that, it's not designed for anything other than RTS games. A game that's meant to be played with a controller that relies on fast input and chained together combos will feel fairly unresponsive on this engine. That being said, it's definitely still possible and if done right you could make something fun.

Here's a great example:
I remember playing this a while back and thinking how impressive everything was - minus the controls, but that was due to the engine's limitations and not a fault of the mapmaker.

But if you're serious about making games and ready to leap into the world of game development then I would suggest learning a free game engine like Unity, Godot, or Unreal. The online multiplayer stuff, particularly for Unity (the one I have experience with) is extremely easy to use. Plus you'll be creating something that exists outside of a 20 year old game with "dead" or even worse "destructive" support. Yes, you lose out on the awesome art/audio assets that Warcraft 3 provides, and the free server hosting with 24 player multiplayer is amazing, but in return you gain complete control over your vision. Of course, it all depends on how much time and energy you're willing to put into it. Warcraft 3 produces some damn good and fast results, nothing really compares to it in that regard.
I really appreciated the explanation, but it's not working on my W3R... even though I switched to the classic graphics.