• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #8 - Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Here's another giant I made at school.
IMG_20160515_222551.jpg
I may change my entry if I have time.

[entry]

Lore

Entry Image

The Avenging Soul of Nerr' Lixith

Chapter 1: The Request
Roihclem was once a generic local resident in the East Village of Nerr' Lixith. East Village was the main target for random bandits and brigands. Nerr' Lixith at the time was ruled by the king goes by the name "Balthazarr the Fourth". He was the heir to previous king,which just recently died, making Balthazarr the king of Roihclem's generation. Balthazarr was a very greedy man,and likes to pick people by their personality. East Village's guard captain, Parolza, requested that the king to send more guards to his village. Balthazarr himself promised to fulfill Parolza's request after 3 weeks.

Chapter 2: The Sacrifice
It has been a month since Parolza's request been sent,and still awaiting the king's actions. Parolza was very mad at the king. He visited the king,politely ask about his request. Balthazarr said he has never heard of Parolza's request. Enraged,Parolza swears the king and left Nerr' Lixith. He was never seen after the conflict. With Parolza gone,East Village was left vulnerable. There has been many raids against the village. One day,a massive band of brigands attacked East Village. The guards were outnumbered and were left dead. Roihclem's father,Rocim, commands Roihclem and her mother to run away from East Village. Roihclem's mother was killed during the escape. Roihclem then hides from the heartless bandits under the a tree hole. Tomorrow,Roihclem wake up too see Parolza in his eyes. Parolza carried Roihclem to his hut. He gave Roihclem supplies.

Chapter 3: The Tragic
Roihclem told Parolza how he wanted to get revenge to both the king and the bandits. Parolza instantly replied that it is wrong to take vengeance. Roihclem was unsatisfied to hear that. Parolza knew what is going to happen to Roihclem with his anger. He then took Roihclem for a walk,outside of his hut. They discussed about the darkside of one's heart.Roihclem doesn't seem to care much and angrily entered the hut while slamming the door. Parolza then came in and said that he has an important task to do and will return after a day. Roihclem was left alone in the hut. The next day,the sight of Parolza was never been found. Roihclem packs supplies to go search for him. In his travel,he found Parolza under the shade of a tree,terribly injured. Parolza claims that the bandits ambushed him and took all of his belongings. Parolza takes his last breath and gave Roihclem a goodbye before his death. Roihclem's tears fallen in Parolza's cheeks. Roihclem's blood began to rise and he knew what he wants to do next.

Chapter 3: The Dark Offering
Roihclem travels to the north to search for the Dark Temple. He managed to get there. He requested the guardian of the Dark Temple, Stelher the Merciless, to give him powers of the 'Dark Gift'. Stelher then shoots a dark arrow at Roihclem's forehead. Roihclem slowly transform into a gigantic soul with huge claws for a right hand. Stelher asked Roihclem the actions he will take with the Dark Gift. Roihclem replied "It's not of your business!" and left the temple,awaiting his sweet revenge. Stelher then replied "I will keep this gift if you kill a king.". Roihclem agreed with that and go too the West to search for Nerr' Lixith and bring chaos.

Chapter 4: The Revenge and the Loss
Roihclem then destroyed Nerr' Lixith's villages and nearby bandit camps. It then go searches for Balthazarr to complete his part of the bargain. Roihclem found Balthazarr in his throne. It quickly hurls a huge dark fiery ball at the greedy king. Balthazarr was known to have powers and blocks the attack. Balthazarr questions "Who are you?! And why did you cause chaos into my towns and tried to kill me?!". Roihclem didn't say anything and slams the ground with his huge claw hand. Balthazarr calls the guards to enchain Roihclem. Balthazarr notices his symbol of a key in his torso and quickly said "Ahh,you're the resident in the East Village which was destroyed recently,". Roihclem ragely tries to break the chains that surrounds him. Balthazarr the orders the guards to lock Roihclem in his cells.

Chapter 5: The Guardian's Aid
Roihclem's plans was a complete failure.Stelher suddenly showed up behind it and charges its powers onto Roihclem. He noticed that Roihclem has been fully corrupted with the darkside of revenge. Stelher and Roihclem joins forces to slaughter every resident in every village and town in Nerr' Lixith. They both tortured Balthazarr to death.Once the job is done,Stelher returned to the Dark Temple to guard the temple again. Roihclem was left with unsatisfying feeling inside. When the people from the south searches the city of Nerr' Lixith for Roihclem,it was no where to be found. Some says Roihclem still roams around Nerr' Lixith but cannot be seen with naked eyes.

250158-albums8697-picture108559.png

conceptexploration3.jpg building it up! this is not even the lineart, it'S just a ''shape study'' as in = I drew lines to break down the flow and volume and overall silhouette of the armour.

Inspiration = Aztec, egyptian, greek mythology, Hindu..... Minotaur, Sauron, Dark Soul! hehe

Overal = giant boss fight.... God of war style :D

More to come, working on it all day.

Level 14
Added infos and stuffs. Dunno, figured it would help visualize. I'll probably remove them on the final entry, just in case it's not allowed.

Lore
I'll just take notes again instead. No time to write.
- The story began with a BANG! A meteor strike to be precise.
- It was middle of the night, as far as cliche goes.
- A giant blob monster crawled/slides(?) outside of the meteorite and for the first time see the outside world
- He began searching for some place to rest, cuz ya know, jet-lag
- Sooner found a shallow crater, his body fits perfectly by coincedence (spelt wrong but meh)
- Morning came, and it turned out the crater was actually a small dry lake. Not that it has to do with anything, just for size assurance
- The blob woke up and noticed 3 humans observing him. A man, woman, and a child
- It was a family of 3 people. Living in a small house near the lake
- That family was friendly enough to befriend a gigantic blob, and so goes
- Blob grew to love humans observing the family
- Mr.blob was happy
- 3 and a half months later
- The family and their house was crushed by large rocks from a landslide
- Mr.blob saw their corpses, I mean, their mincemeat *insert extremely brutal massacre pic here*
- The blob being innocent to feelings such as sadness, he didn't understand the pain left in him
- He sooner longed and longed for company
- Mr.Blob decided to travel and befriend the villagers living in the village nearby
- He realized that his appearance doesn't make befriending anyone any easier
- And then decided to transform into a human to blend-in
- The transformation was a "success" on his mind, but in reality, he became 10x scarier than before
- The ability was "close to perfect" he thought, but there's one problem, his "face" was distorting when he gets careless
- He soon came up with an idea on how to prevent that. It was to tilt his "head" up high so the gravity uh... whatever
- His now "head" was always tilted-up wherever he goes. Creepy
- He visited villages with his new appearance in order to fulfill his goal, to make friends
- The villagers were scared just as expected
- He gain bad reputations, and soon became infamous of bringing disasters due to rumors
- He ended up being hunted and attacked by his beloved humans.
Grammar mistakes
- In Additional, I meant "decrease", not "increase"
- Also on the middle, "harden" must be "hardened"
222615-albums7875-picture108561.png
Oh and I realized, I entered a blob something, there's no anatomy or body proportion at all, I instead "disregarded entirely" the functionality. Welp, expecting to get zero in Realism now.

Last edited:
it's sunday and I'm busy during the week.... so yay WIP TIME! :D

Still very sketchy, exploring the armour design and colour + the atmosphere... don't think I'll draw the epic temple background... because it's not required nor needed... I mean it's a concept-art, not an illustration. :goblin_good_job:

New WIP to come, either today or sometimes this week.... or next weekend... eh.

Attachments

• conceptexploration4.jpg
    conceptexploration4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 208
Level 28
Oh and I realized, I entered a blob something, there's no anatomy or body proportion at all, I instead "disregarded entirely" the functionality. Welp, expecting to get zero in Realism now.

I actually enjoyed your concept a lot! I hope they consider the skills involved in portraying the characteristics of the fluid as proportions. That isn't proportions as the classic human anatomy but in a less noble way, knowing how to properly scale the blobs and drops is the way to convey the behaviour of the liquid, which involves some skills (okay, less skills involved than a full body picture of Zeus standing epicly but I guess you got it). Plus you actually did make some posing, and succeeded in portraying him moving and all. So I wouldn't give you 0 in anatomy/proportions.

But all in all this is just my opinon so whatever, hahaha.

@Mr.Goblin: That's some amazing shit, loved how you blended the references in a very cool and solid way.

@Mr.Goblin: That's some amazing shit, loved how you blended the references in a very cool and solid way.

Oh thanks mate! :O

New wip!

Attachments

• conceptexploration5.jpg
    conceptexploration5.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 211
Tiny improvement! Getting there! You'll probably see the final version soonish, because it's still a concept-art competition, not an illustration contest... so I'm scared of pushing it too far.... :S

(on an other note, once my final entry posted, I'll probably render it out more! :D)

Attachments

• conceptexploration6.jpg
    conceptexploration6.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

204181-albums4594-picture108613.jpg

Sweeet! Hope you've saved a WIP somewhere :O. You need to post one!

Check the rules! = You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.

====

Edit = /sigh guess I'll have to push my rendering more to have a chance against you! haha

Sweeet! Hope you've saved a WIP somewhere :O. You need to post one!

Check the rules! = You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.

====

Edit = /sigh guess I'll have to push my rendering more to have a chance against you! haha

I posted a WIP but it has been deleted I don't know the reason.
However this WIP still saved on one of my albums

204181-albums4594-picture107853.jpg

There has actually been a wip, somewhere in the past.

tried to look for it, couldn't find it! Just want to make sure he doesn'T get disqualified for something as simple as that. His drawing is super kickass want him to make it till the end! :D

-------

Edit

I posted a WIP but it has been deleted I don't know the reason.
However this WIP still saved on one of my albums

204181-albums4594-picture107853.jpg

Very neat! Glad you had a backup!

Level 28
O. Wait, I fucked it up during the rendering phase xD (the old one had it right http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...74035-concept-art-contest-8-giants-update.png )

I actually intended to keep it away from the horn (behind) but it's a good way to add depth (and because the sword's orientation requires it to not be behind).
A side note, but an interesting fact I though I could share, the Renaissance artists used this technique quite often since they did not understand atmospheric fog well back then. So they had to use other methods to show depth, by stacking lots of objects at one place for example, which is why all the poses are so weird and hands and legs are flying all over the place (especially on ceiling paintings. It creates a good pattern and adds depth. Poses look weird though... but it's still a good technique, if used rightly ^^ A bit forgotten as well, with all the other means of depth we currently have (small sized birds, atmospheric fog, list goes on)).

Level 28
Final Entry (I'll update this post if I work more on it):

When we think of giant we think of something stupid, slow and gigantic but I wanted to give a twist to this. In the norse mythology giants were actually slightly smarter than the Norse gods (like Loki and Odin...) even though they were pretty dumb. What I wanted to create here is a giant hero, like the giant version of Hercules.

Ktordinn's two handed sword was forged by a god and his moose-ram-deer antlers he took from a mighty gigantic beast he slayed. Even though he looks intimidating, he is known for his patience and wisdom (well, for giants). Most giants rely solely on raw strength but Ktordinn uses both agility and strength to defeat mythical beasts.
He learned the ways of the sword and agility from his human friend Raktir. They met near the cave of a mythical bear which they both needed to slay and dueled to see who was to claim the bear. Using Ktordinn's strength against himself, Raktir defeated the giant, but while they were busy fighting, a third hero slayed the bear. Both had to leave empty handed and somehow this common misfortune bonded them. Ktordinn thought Raktir how to properly use his strength and Raktir taught him the ways of the sword.

Attachments

• Gigant.png
    Gigant.png
    863.3 KB · Views: 330
Last WIP... lots of cleaning needs to be done... but I don't know if I really want to do it really. Ya know, you get to a point if you push it to far, then everything else needs to be rendered out more... and then it's just an endless cycle till you get fed up.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love the render to shit out of it more. But probably not for this competition since it's not an illustration competition. Will see :D

Might work more on it tomorow. But this is close to the final rendering.:goblin_good_job:

Attachments

• conceptart_giant10.jpg
    conceptart_giant10.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 177
Level 4
I know it's maybe too late but i want to join this contest as well. This is my WIP:

attachment.php

Name: Hifey

Attachments

• WIP-01-Hifey.jpg
    WIP-01-Hifey.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 532

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Got some spare time and finishes this concept quickly as I can.

Serpent of the Void
So the concept was fairly simple. I wanted to make a piece that has a void feel unto it and with a dragonic feature but with a different theme. I made him more mage-like with those hand(s) emitting arcane energy (rather than void) and his tail with electric-void magic. He uses his arcane magic to esnared/paralyze prey and kill them with his tail by absorbing it until the target vanishes. He has no eyes but instead he uses his horns to track living entities by determining their temperature.

Attachments

• SerpentOfTheVoid.png
    SerpentOfTheVoid.png
    566.1 KB · Views: 263
And this concludes my entry.

GIEYAR

In an attempt to persue for transhuman revolution, scientists and researchers sought for several ways to achieve it, setting aside morality. They fused several species of creature with humans, hoping to be able to become faster, stronger, smarter generation of humanity. However, one of the executions went wrong when it was hijacked by the movement's opposer. In the end, they created an abomination; despite being very slow, it is larger than any creature seen, its skin are capable of emitting snake venom in cloud waves and its roar trembles the world.

223928-albums8136-picture108881.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• GieyarSteps.gif
    GieyarSteps.gif
    1 MB · Views: 617
Level 14
Hey there, this is my final entry I wanted to finish it, but turns out I didn't have the time. Anyways, i thought i would share the concept anyways:

The origin of the idea: When I first heard of the anime Attack on Titan, I imagined it would involve attacking some people who live on a titan, and the Titans -and the people on them- would somehow fight each other for the extremely defendable cities.

History: Noone knows how the city was created on the top of the colossal figure, people just live in it for as long human kind can remember. The walls are fixed on the titan by some ancient technology, and the hard skin on it's back enables streets and houses to be built. The titan is controlled by an outpost on the forehead so humankind can steer it in the right directions.

Living on the titan could seem hard at first, but there is plenty of protein rich food on the titan; the tick and fleas in the titan's hair grow as big as humans. They collect rainwater to dring, and go on hunts for everything else.

The fort city on the titan is invaluable defense for humans, as barbaric empires, and other titan-cities rule this world of war. The only way of surviving is if you are a great fighter, or if you are living in one of these cities.

This is my take on the subject, and here is the concept art:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Colossus.jpg
    Colossus.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 574
Level 4
Final Entry:
Name: Hifey
Description:
Long before human landed on Northern, Hifey the Frost Titan is one of the most dangerous beings in existence. Known as the brotherhood of Laufey, the lord of Jotunheim, spread the winter curse and icy vortex on both land and sky. The staff he uses contains one of the curse "Absolute Stone", freezing all the land and the earth into ice age. No one has know what background that made him hate any creature, bothering with him only make this land into empty space once more.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP-02-Hifey.jpg
    WIP-02-Hifey.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 959
Mr.Goblin's Final entry

final_presentation_by_mr_goblin-da3rfb7.png

concepte_by_mr_goblin-da3rfa0.jpg

Yess the face is hidden... because it destroyed the mysterie about this beast, so I blurred it out.

Click here! DO IT!
To see in High definition.

peace out! was a fun challenge :goblin_good_job:

Credits goes to Keiji (aka Mats Rafoss) for this amazing short text he created under 5 minutes.

Perhaps in some relatively close futur, I'll finish this concept-art piece and render it a 100% with textures and stuff and Keiji will craft an updated version of his text because he still concider it a draft :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.