• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bug Report

Level 2
Haven't seen a mention of this yet so posting (my version is 1.31.1 though so it may be the reason for this happening):
In mission Death's Approach Ejara nexus (red) attacks only on the first wave but the ai stays deactivated for the rest of the mission (also the segment that used to be happening in top left does not come but I don't know if that is rather because of the story reasons)
1661596830566.png

Level 28
Haven't seen a mention of this yet so posting (my version is 1.31.1 though so it may be the reason for this happening):
In mission Death's Approach Ejara nexus (red) attacks only on the first wave but the ai stays deactivated for the rest of the mission (also the segment that used to be happening in top left does not come but I don't know if that is rather because of the story reasons)
View attachment 405981
I think the problem you're encountered is most likely related to the unit-event trigger issue that was still present in 1.31.1, along with the other bugs.
As the author suggested, it is best to stay on 1.29.2 (my version that I used now) if you still want playing all Arkain campaigns.

Level 26
I think the problem you're encountered is most likely related to the unit-event trigger issue that was still present in 1.31.1, along with the other bugs.
As the author suggested, it is best to stay on 1.29.2 (my version that I used now) if you still want playing all Arkain campaigns.
There are big differences between WCIII versions on arkain? I mean, I read about that 1.29.2 is recommended/required, but there are seriously some differences, which are making the gameplay different from the Recommended version? Because I'm using the 1.31 version of the game to play Arkain, but I have 1.29.1.9160 version of the base game too. I don't know the last version what I writed down is better to play Arkain, or this is not the required/recommended version to play Arkain?

Level 27
1.29 is obviously the best bc LoA is made using the 1.29 Editor. But if you're lazy like me and don't want to boot up any version other than 1.31, there shouldn't be any issue aside from the occasional missing hotkeys and wrong unit/ability descriptions. At least that's my experience with 1.31.

There are very few crashes in 1.31 also, with the only significant one being End of Orckind in SOB, which crashes every time around 5-10 minute mark.

Level 26
1.29 is obviously the best bc LoA is made using the 1.29 Editor. But if you're lazy like me and don't want to boot up any version other than 1.31, there shouldn't be any issue aside from the occasional missing hotkeys and wrong unit/ability descriptions. At least that's my experience with 1.31.

There are very few crashes in 1.31 also, with the only significant one being End of Orckind in SOB, which crashes every time around 5-10 minute mark.
QWER hotkeys are changed in 1.31? If this is the case, I don't experienced this. QWER system is works fine in WC3 1.31 + LoA 0.68 combo. Descriptions are okay too so far.

Level 27
QWER hotkeys are changed in 1.31? If this is the case, I don't experienced this. QWER system is works fine in WC3 1.31 + LoA 0.68 combo. Descriptions are okay too so far.
Don't know if the hotkey bug also happened on other version or not, but for me, the last LoA update caused the Banishers' Healing Wave to lose its 'E' hotkey, but in the Editor, the hotkey is still there.
Description bug is also the same, but the only one I can remember is Orgen Bloodstone's Sniper Shot has its learn tooltip missing the LV3 stat.

Another plausible explanation is that my copy of WC3 is ass.

Level 26
Carnage

1. Screenshot: Gurraganosh inventory missing the runestone of resurrection from the beginning. (No, he doesn't have the ability either to resurrect).
WC3ScrnShot_083022_064818_01.png

The Exiles
2.Screenshot: "Aura" circles is above the heads, not in the ground.
2. & 3. Screenshot: Some friendly and enemy units are invisible, even their health & mana bar is not visible, and can't be selected to see their stats & details.

WC3ScrnShot_083022_205648_03.png
WC3ScrnShot_083022_205542_01.png

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
2.Screenshot: "Aura" circles is above the heads, not in the ground.
Known model issue, can't do anything about it unfortunately.
2. & 3. Screenshot: Some friendly and enemy units are invisible, even their health & mana bar is not visible, and can't be selected to see their stats & details.
Redownload the campaign, that will fix it. There was a hotfix for this particular issue.

Level 27
A few bugs in A Fresh Breeze, and other things that I don't know are intentional or not:
WC3ScrnShot_090222_114454_05.png

- Obsidian Statues have Morph into Destroyer, but Destroyer Form isn't available.
WC3ScrnShot_090222_114216_03.png

WC3ScrnShot_090222_114215_02.png

• Kodo Beast and Wind Rider have clashing hotkeys. And War Drum Upgrades has 'D' hotkey instead of 'X'.
    WC3ScrnShot_090222_113915_01.png
  • Thunderous Presence has hotkey 'X' instead of 'Z'
WC3ScrnShot_082322_093904_12.png

• Cheveran can be raised, and can also be built from the Altar while playing as Undead. (through Possession ofc)
  • Forgot to take screenshot, but if Nightmare is skipped, Largoth won't spawn with Dreadclaws.
  • Sea Drake's Toxic Breath only affect air units.
    WC3ScrnShot_082322_092645_07.png
  • Beastiary's tooltip has missing text.

WC3ScrnShot_082322_092238_06.png

- Tamed Lizard's tooltip has a typo: 'Rranged' instead of 'ranged'.

Edit: Also, the Banisher's Healing Wave bug is partially my fault, because of my CustomKeys.txt changing the hotkey of Healing Wave (Neutral Hostile) that shares the same base ID with Banisher's HW. That txt file had been sitting there for like a year, and only just recently did it decide to bug out on me. Weird.

Quoting Morris from the New Content Discussion Thread referring to the most recent chapter of the True Story of Arkain as of posting (Act 7, Chapter 1; spoiler tag added for courtesy measures):
[...]
Only leadership boni available in the leaders hall is Maya's, after I finished researching it, the building didn't self-destroy as it is intended. Also, as soon as the mission started (sic) I went straight to possess the Angelic. After the deed is done, a series of altercations between the undead heroes and dwarven\human heroes started though I'm not sure that this was intended also since I didn't bring any of my units to them or having the possessed Angelic counts as losing cover to them?
Last but not least, Morph into Destroyer is shown for the Obsidian Statue but its associated upgrade isn't available for research.
The link to the quote: New Content Discussion [SPOILER]

Level 19
Bug Report: Act 6, Chapter: A Matter of Faith (That Black lotus mission). Yeah... The Cutscene after finishing the main quest takes too long to load, just like what happened in the Lord of Shadows, after killing Mayor Kent.

Level 7
last mission: I don't know if that's a bug, but the units from the golden guard outpust sometimes were stuck within the base, moving and trying to go out, but failing. Sometimes, it became even more problematic if golden guard units from the main base tried to go through the already stuck exit. Only solution: sending my units to aggro enemy units out of the stuck exit.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I'll fix that with the next update, don't worry, already found the issue, just didn't update the map.

in Hunter and Prey, Kazardius' boni only work on Korzar, but not the Frost Wyrms.
They definitely are affected by the bonus though.

Last edited:
Level 20
Just replayed Death's approach (chapter 5 act 3) : 2 bugs
  • Once Vanessa's Forked lightning gets maxed out, Fan of knives seems to take its place on the upgrade menu.
  • The Splecir Nexus managed to block all its attack waves with a misplaced slaughterhouse.
  • 1664196329634.png

Level 20
On Lord of shadows, once the traitors' base was destroyed, Thanok's boys started ignoring the Rohir nexus and staring at a wall to reach the Mages' guild's base. (Edit : it's not just the current wave, Thanok keeps sending soldiers to stare at the wall)

1665246559438.png

Level 7
Typos and other text issues I found in acts 1 to 6

I will post my list of bugs/exploits later. All these text issues have been observed in 0.69a, and I assume most if not all still exist in the development version. Text displaying with inaccurate triggers mid-mission (such as an invisible unit triggering direct dialogue towards it) isn't included.

Chapter 1

In Geographical Knowledge, there is a missing coma before the "for" here : "its human nations feed us for our islands are not enough to keep us satisfied"

Chapter 4

In the ending cutscene, there is a typo : "unwinable" instead of "unwinnable".

Chapter 2

In the opening cutscene and in the NEW LORE AVAILABLE message, there is a naming inconsistency : the cutscene has "Mina Trueshot", the hint has "Mira Trueshot".

Chapter 4 (Deathbreeze)

In the quest log, there is a naming error and inconsistency. The quest to get the help from the Goldaxe clan is incorrectly titled "Greed is Good". The completion message calls it "Power of Riches", which I assume is the correct name.

Chapter 4 (Darkmind)

In the task list of the main quest, there is a typo : "Stronghols" instead of "Strongholds"

Chapter 5

In the opening cutscene and in the NEW LORE AVAILABLE message, there is a naming inconsistency, the same one as in Act II, chapter 2 : "Mina" and "Mira".

In Character Knowledge, in the section for Lieutenant Tormin, there is a missing word : "he" should be added in "I also have no idea why seems to be so close"

In the mid-mission cutscene, there is a typo, it should be "on the race" in "simple mistrust of human influence of the race as a whole"

In the mid-mission cutscene, there is an extra word "What difference does it make if I give the our lands and my people to the Souleater Legion or to you instead?"

Interlude

There is a typo : "eligable" should instead be "eligible"

There is a typo : "rendevous" should instead be "rendezvous"

There is a double space : "Be prepared for anything". The forum software collapses the double space into one, but it's between the two red words, and is visible in the game.

Chapter 6

In the mid-mission cutscene with Largoth, there is an extra word or an inconsistent wording. "But we let's save this for another day" needs either the "we" removed or the "let's" replaced by "shall".

Chapter 1

In the intro cutscene, there is a typo : "Î can feel a dark presence in these tunnels."

In one of the mid-mission texts that appears in the logs, there is an incorrect word : "The conductions of the Bloodstone" should instead be "The concoctions of the Bloodstone".

Chapter 2

In the NEW LORE AVAILABLE message, there is a potential inconsistency with chapter 2 and 5 of Act II, depending on which of "Mina" and "Mira" is the correct name.

Chapter 4

In the intro cutscene
, there is a double space : "She's probably telling him what I just told you".

Chapter 5

In the intro cutscene, there is an extra coma : "The Undead think, they stand a chance".

Chapter 6 (End of Act IV)

In one of the mid-mission texts that appears in the logs, there is a typo : "I WILL NOT GET KILLED A FORTH TIME" should instead be "I WILL NOT GET KILLED A FOURTH TIME".

First interlude

There is a typo : "intriuged" should instead be "intrigued"

Chapter 1

In the closing cutscene, there is an extra word : "why I like prefer to be open-minded". Either "like" or "prefer" should be removed.

Chapter 4

In the description of Rath's leadership bonus, there is an old unit name : "Outriders" should instead be "Outrunners"

Chapter 5

In the description of Ornasion's orb, there is a missing space : "deal 2times"

The map's name displayed in the save selection and loading screen is incorrect : "Rise of the Dead" instead of "Siege of Dead Mountain"

Chapter 6

The description of blacksmith upgrades use an old unit name : "Greywolves" should instead be "Sergeants".

Chapter 1

In the intro cutscene, there is a typo : "othe" should instead be "other"

In the description of the side quest "Playing with the Devil", there is two sentence ideas mixed in one : "Two regiments of the Imperial Army have sent two regiments to support the Royal Army against the Demons." Correct would be "Two regiments of the Imperial Army have been sent to support the Royal Army against the Demons." or "The Imperial Army has sent two regiments to support the Royal Army against the Demons."

Chapter 2

In the loading screen, the intro text is too long and not fully displayed.

In the ending cutscene, there is a missing coma : "You have considered it for years many years."

Chapter 3

In the intro cutscene
, there is a missing space : "So far, everything hasgone"

In Geographical Knowledge, there is two sentence ideas mixed in one : "While their Kingdom is safer from Demon invasions than compared to others". Correct would be "While their Kingdom is safer from Demon invasions than others" or "While their Kingdom is safer from Demon invasions compared to others".

Chapter 5

In the ending cutscene, there is duplicated text : "He wanted to know if you served Retkaif you served Retka out of free will."

Chapter 6

In the intro cutscene, there is a missing word : "is" should be added in "our damaged trebuchets should only take a few weeks until everything fully repaired".

In the intro cutscene, there is a missing word : "General Gardon Bloodclaw, you harm any of these soldiers here. You will be questioned." Edoarus is telling Bloodclaw to not harm any of Kent's men. The correct formulation really depends on how you want it to come across, but the current one feels wrong. It's strange too that Gardon is told he is going to be questioned just after he is told to not harm the soldiers. He will be questioned no matter what, so this can't be a threat, but it is placed almost as if it was one.

In the intro cutscene
, there is a typo : "explan" should instead be "explain".

In the intro cutscene, there is an incorrect word : "I guess we've reached the point when you reveal". "Point" is a spatial metaphor, therefore the correct word is "where" (spatial) instead of "when" (temporal).

In the mid-mission cutscene, there is a typo : "Conider" should instead be "Consider".

Chapter 8

In the ending cutscene, there is a missing coma before the "for" : "I blame van Durce for his death for the Empire started this whole mess".

In the ending cutscene, there is a missing coma : "Sure I would join you"

In the ending cutscene, there is an incorrect plural : "it is just a means to an end". It should be "it is just a mean to an end".

In the ending cutscene, there is a poorly formulated sentence : "My methods may have their fair share of criticism". The criticism isn't part of the methods themselves. "My methods may attract their fair share of criticism" or something similar would be better.

In the ending cutscene, there is an extra coma : "What are you going to do now, that your Emperor has openly turned his forces against you?" The coma would be acceptable in a different sentence such as "What are you going to do now, with your Emperor having openly turned his forces against you?"

End of Act VI

In the loading screen
, there is a double space : "The Demons have proven to be more powerful"

There is a typo : "whenver" should instead be "whenever"

There is a typo : "treahcerous" should instead be "treacherous"

I took time to note down all the issues I saw and to make this report as clear as possible. Please confirm when you'll have had the time to fix those, Shar, as I'd rather not check myself if they are still there in the upcoming updates. :gg:

Level 7
Bug report for acts 1 to 6

Here is my bug report for the bugs, severe exploits and serious plot holes I found during my playthrough in 0.69a, grouped by bug type.

Act 1, Chapter 3

It is not required to activate all 4 nexuses to complete the mission. Although only the Nexus activation main quest is revealed at the start, destroying the base of the Icewind orcs will not only complete the second (unrevealed) main quest, but also end the mission right there. Expected behaviour: the second main quest is revealed upon completion, but the player still has to activate the remaining nexuses.

Act 2, Chapter 6

During the fight against Rahandir, the mission doesn't end in a defeat if a hero dies, or even if all units die. It becomes impossible to successfully complete the chapter (killing Rahandir after a hero is lost doesn't do anything), but the expected behaviour is to have an immediate defeat screen if we lose a hero, like in missions 1 and 3 of act 3.

Act 1, Chapter 7

The gold mines of our allies are not used. It is therefore possible to exploit them ourselves, making the mission much easier.

Act 6, Chapter 3

The gold mine of the pink village (Essix) is not used, so it is possible to get it for ourselves while still having the village sending attack waves to support us.

I haven't tested all the spells and units, and I haven't been diligent at recording all the instances where a keyboard shortcut didn't work, so those are only the most notables.

My keyboard is not QWERTY, but most heroes and spellcaster follow the QWER spells nonetheless, so I can only assume that there is a bug when the keyboard shortcut doesn't work.

Aedale

Her "W" didn't work for me in all the missions I recall trying to use it. It was particularly bad when trying to fight Rahandir, as I had to waste precious time to click the summon instead of having the keybind do it quicker.

Blen Greymoore

His "W" didn't work for me either.

Banishers

Their "E" (the bounce heal spell) doesn't work for me. This can be very aggravating.

Larine

Her "W" didn't work.

Act 3, Chapter 1

Gardon can proclaim "Demon scum. Kill them all!" when we don't view any demons, simply having a unit north of their position, one level below them in altitude.

Act 5, Chapter 2

Redfist units start dialogues even if we are just passing with an invisible One-Eye, so they can't know we have a unit there.

Act 6, Chapter 5

Larine's Hawk can trigger dialogues with the nobles when exploring their bases. It should be ignored.

Act 1, Chapter 7

In the starting units, the two catapults and some of the chaplains are considered different units by the game from the catapults and chaplains we can train (they behave like different units if put in the same control group).

Act 2, Chapter 7

It's possible to see attack effects between different enemies even if they are in the fog of war.

FogOfWarBug.png

Act 4, Interlude

This interlude is not skippable. This has already been reported a few times before, but was still present in 0.69a.

Act 5, Chapter 5

This bug is also already known, but it's not possible to build buildings in many places even if the terrain is properly blighted. That's a very obvious and annoying bug. I've read that this is related to the terrain's altitude, but somehow it works in some part of the base of the demon slaves. I'd rather have slightly lower peaks in the almost useless southern part of the map than this bug, if this was a choice.

Act 5, Chapter 7

Very minor, but the minimap doesn't properly display the "hey man" when it's revealed.

Act 6, Chapter 4

A hint that Claire can be revived at the Altar, as usually happens with demi-heroes in other missions, would be useful.

Act 4, Chapter 3

Orc heroes killed in Greenwave still appear here. If they are not supposed to really die there, then the sidequest should be about defeating them, not killing them.

Act 4, Chapter 4

Although Gardon keeps Aedale to fight for him despite sensing something off, Aedale shouldn't be able to get away with morphing into an actual demon in the middle of battle. The realistic outcome would be Blen, Harmos and Zarin turning on her immediately, and many allied soldiers defecting after seeing this as a proof that Gardon is the real traitor serving the demons.

While it could be fun to leave the ability as something that would trigger very unpleasant effects into mission failure, the most sensible choice is probably just removing access to it.

Act 5, Chapter 3

The Golden Guard units turn on us if we kill one of them with our heroes. However, they don't mind if we "only" bash them into having a few HP left. More than two or three direct hits should be enough to turn them against us.

Act 2, Chapter 4 (Darkmind)

The Goldaxe clan was attacking one of my allies, when I destroyed another minor clan stronghold, triggering Rangul to buy the help of the Goldaxe clan. They stopped attacking me and my allies, but their units remained stuck in the same spot for the rest of the game, never attacking the remaining enemies. They even received reinforcements once, but stayed there.

Act 2, Chapter 4 (Darkmind and Goldaxe)

This is already known, but the minor clan don't properly stop attacking us when destroying their great hall/stronghold, it's necessary to get out of view from the units attacking us for them to stop. Although the mission is touching limits on the numbers of factions that W3 can handle, this is a very annoying bug.

Act 6, Chapter 4

The hero guarding the captured elites of the side quest has an aggressive stance, and won't come back to defend the gate if we pull it away.

Elven Heritage

Elven Heritage's description indicates a 80% reduction in piercing damage. I did some tests, and the real number is definitely not 80%. It took 19 hits for a crossbowman to take 200HP off an Ironforged (net, with regen), while it took 13 hits for an Ironforged to deal it back. If the reduction was truly 80%, the difference would be much starker.

The effect doesn't have to be changed, but the description should then be updated to show the correct damage reduction.

Warlords and wolf-breeding

Warlords are not mounted on wolves, the wolf-breeding upgrades from the Darkmind applying to them is strange.

Level 27
My keyboard is not QWERTY, but most heroes and spellcaster follow the QWER spells nonetheless, so I can only assume that there is a bug when the keyboard shortcut doesn't work.
Don't know if this will be useful, but the last time I got this bug, it turns out to be because of my CustomKeys.txt.
Elven Heritage's description indicates a 80% reduction in piercing damage. I did some tests, and the real number is definitely not 80%. It took 19 hits for a crossbowman to take 200HP off an Ironforged (net, with regen), while it took 13 hits for an Ironforged to deal it back. If the reduction was truly 80%, the difference would be much starker.
Elven Heritage's description says "Reduces the damage taken from Piercing TO 80%", not "by 80%", so this behavior was to be expected.

Level 7
Elven Heritage's description says "Reduces the damage taken from Piercing TO 80%", not "by 80%", so this behavior was to be expected.
I checked in game, and you are right. Although 80% of reduction seems like a lot, this formulation is so atypical in english that my brain auto-corrected it without me noticing. Then, I strongly suggest that Shar changes the wording to "Reduces the damage taken from Piercing attacks by 20%" to avoid people being confused. Furthermore, this clears up that it's cumulative with armor (the "to" formulation is slightly ambiguous in this regard).
Don't know if this will be useful, but the last time I got this bug, it turns out to be because of my CustomKeys.txt.
I don't recall ever touching this file, but maybe I did long ago and forgot. I will check it out. Anything to look for in particular that might be causing the issue ?

Level 27
I don't recall ever touching this file, but maybe I did long ago and forgot. I will check it out. Anything to look for in particular that might be causing the issue ?
Just remove the file, or if you're using it for another campaign (like I did for Founding with Durotar, which makes Rokhan's Healing Wave's hotkey interferes with that of the Banisher's Healing Wave), simply renames it to something else for later use.

If you already moved/renamed your CustomKeys file but that still doesn't work, then it may be an actual bug.

Level 7
In the last mission, when you kill the demon base nearby our first base, Keera's vassals buildings did not appear at first.

However, after defeating the second demon base, Keera's vassals building appeared in the first demon base (and in the second one as well). Is that supposed to happen?

the last mission was great!

Level 10
Euh, I dunno if this will be a 'Me Only' problem, but the only thing I got after downloading the new campaign was a black screen with a 'just another Warcraft III campaign' title, and nothing else.

Level 7
Hi,

Had a lot of fun with both missions. I found a "problem" all across the campaign, but I am not sure it is a bug.

Often, when the enemy attacks, he retreats after destroying one or two buildings. It often happens when none of my units are there.

It happens on every mission if I'm not mistaken.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Often, when the enemy attacks, he retreats after destroying one or two buildings. It often happens when none of my units are there.

It happens on every mission if I'm not mistaken.
That's a WC3 bug unfortunately.
While Arkain AI is much less likely to fall prey to this bug due to being programmed via JASS,
it is still something that tends to happen.