1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Arkain News Network

Discussion in 'The Legends of Arkain Series' started by Shar Dundred, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    22nd of September 2018
    The short story "Survival" has been added to the thread Tales of Arkain.
    This story includes some stuff I have been tinkering with for a longer period of time, I think it can be
    very interesting for you to read!

2. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    26th of September 2018
    After a long time, I have decided to fix a few issues and also fix a bug caused by 1.30.
    I have first uploaded a version 1.10 and just a few minutes ago 1.20 of the Second Human Book of Arkain.
    Enjoy!

3. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    28th of September 2018
    The short story "Cold War" has been added to the Tales of Arkain
    Also, I would like to repeat what I said in the Second Human Book of Arkain thread:
    I encourage you to report any bugs you have with the new version in the Bug Report thread.

4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    17th of October 2018
    The Second Human Book of Arkain has received some bug fixes - hopefully all of it has now been fixed.
    The AI of Chapter Eleven in the Legends of Arkain First Human Book has received a massive update that should fix most issues.
    Some units will still be running through the swamp to get to the other side, but it works well enough regardless.

The Legends of Arkain First Orc Book and the Legends of Arkain First Undead Book have received a minor update along with the others.
    Due to some of the balance changes made by Blizzard in their latest versions that affect Arkain because I was using the latest melee patches until now, I have decided to undo this.
    You will now see less similarities to the actual melee when it comes to unit stats or upgrade costs, but nothing too big.
    In addition, the First Books had an issue that made the Prologue crash, which has now been fixed. Also, the sea mission of the Undead now has a more fitting mission name.

Now that these issues have been dealt with - hopefully I will not have to fix anything else - I will completely focus on other things.
    Expect some material to be read shortly.

Enjoy!

6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    11th November 2018
    The short story "Espionage" has been added to the Tales of Arkain.

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    23rd December 2018
    Ladies and gentlemen,

Christmas is drawing close and I have decided to give you a small gift (yes, I know that it is a bit early, but I wanted to do it roday rather than tomorrow).
    Today I have released a new short story called "The Heirs of Zyainor" in the Tales of Arkain!
    This short story is actually a collection of five short stories describing, who would have thought, the heirs of Zyainor!

Have fun reading, happy holidays & celebrate in the knowledge that more is coming your way!

8. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    26th December 2018
    I hope you all had/have nice holidays!
    I also hope you enjoyed the short stories.
    In fact, I wanted to let you know that in the next 1 - 2 weeks we will have something new for you to enjoy!

Stay tuned, I am sure you will not regret it!

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    31st December 2018
    All of you ready for the new year? I surely am.
    Today, I have released the first demo of the Second Orc Book of Arkain!

It seems no matter how many times or for how long I quit (was quite a while this time), it
    keeps happening.
    I will stop claiming to quit the project, at least not until it is done - and we still have quite a
    while until that happens - even if I take a break.

The demo is avaiable in the Downloads thread.
    It currently consists of two chapters and two cinematics - and also the first map where you make
    your choices, of course.
    I had wanted to include the third chapter before release, but the mission is causing a bit of trouble
    at the moment, but I expect it to be released in January, I just wanted this release to still be this year.

I really hope you will enjoy the demo, even if it is not very long at this point, but there is much more to come!
    You are welcome to use the New Content Discussion [SPOILER] to discuss the new content!
    The Race Mechanic of the Orcs will also receive an overhaul as there have been a few changes. More news on that later.

Stay tuned!

10. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2nd January 2019
    Just a few minutes ago, I have uploaded version 0.11 of the Second Orc Book.
    You can, as always, find it in the Downloads thread.
    No changelog this time because it only consists of bug and other text-related fixes.

Of course, that is not all I have to tell you. As I mentioned in the last news, the race mechanic of the
    Orcs has been changed a lot since the creation of that thread.
    I will go into detail when I update the thread, shouldn't be too long from now until I do that, but I will
    tell you that the update will allow even more customization of your armies than it originally did!
    (For those of you who do not know what this is all about, feel free to check out the thread

I still plan to release Chapter Three in January, but not only that, I will also see if I can get
    Chapter Four working this month as well! Chapter Five only if I am very lucky!
    Due to the nature of the race mechanic of the Orcs, lorewise, it will take a few chapters
    until it can get fully introduced.
    While I of course know which chapter it will be, I will not just tell you this now because I feel it
    should be more of a surprise. ;)

I have also updated the Current Project Showcase with the current progress of the campaign.

Stay tuned!

11. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    6th January 2019
    @Kasrkin has finished yet another short story (been a while since the last one, eh?) called "Burning Islands".
    It can be found in the Tales of Arkain.
    It tells you a bit more about what happened after Chapter Two from the human perspective of things.

12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    14th January 2019
    Progress on the next update is going very well. The next chapter(s) will be released next week.
    In addition to that, we have two more news: The Redfist faction overview & the overhaul of the
    race mechanic for the Orcs.

Let's start by talking about the race mechanic.
    The Orc Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms has been updated.
    Instead of you, the player, choosing what races you want to use per chapter, you will have access to an immense
    amount of units (more than 30!) once you have unlocked all units & races.
    In order to make such a massive selection usable, some of them are not trained directly but instead
    are treated as alternatives or upgrades for units you train normally (similar to the Destroyer & Obsidian Statue).
    It will require more micro management, but this is made up by the fact that a powerful unit has the
    training time of a weaker unit while the upgrade to the stronger unit is instant.

Now let's take a look at your newest best friends in the Second Orc Book: Duke Redfist and his legions!
    [​IMG]

The overall thematic of the Redfist is that they are elite soldiers who are fanatical enemies of
    the Orcs and, as you may already have experienced in Chapter Two, love to burn the entire
    race of the Orcs and their allies into the ground.
    They are led by Duke Volarian Redfist the Tyrant himself who hates the Orcs even more than his
    most fanatical followers.
    The main weakness of the Redfist is that they lack air units. However, they are well aware of that
    and may consider letting others deal with aerial fights...

The Crusader
    The butter and bread unit of the Redfist, the Crusader is strong enough to be an even match for
    the Grunt, unlike other ordinary human infantry units who are usually inferior to the Grunts.
    Having access to both Defend and Critical strike, the Crusader excels his counterparts both
    offensively and defensively.

The Hunter
    When the Redfist is lacking the mages to set villages on fire or if they just want a flying monster taken down,
    the Hunters are more than willing to fulfil their duty and do that with their Searing Arrows.
    They also take full advantage of a strong, improved armor when hunting down various beasts.

The Conqueror
    The Conqueror is the regular elite unit of the Redfist. Powerful and heavily armored, they use poweful flails
    to destroy their enemies while their mental training allows them to resist some spells partially or even completely.
    Special thanks again to @sagi5533, the creator of the Arthas Campaign series, for not only fixing the model, but
    also giving me the skin he used for his own series so that this unit could be added to the ranks of the Redfist in
    the first place.

The Red Priest
    Red Priests are more than just healers for the Redfist. They also provide additional offensive power to weaken any
    enemy forces. That being said, they are still very vulnerable and on their own hardly a threat, like all other priests.
    However, if they are part of a larger group of Redfist soldiers...

The Merciless
    While the Golden Guard has the Lieutenants, the Royal Army the Greywolf and the Ironfist the Overseer, the Redfist
    has the Merciless. Extremely powerful elite soldiers that buff their allies while also being the most powerful unit in the
    arsenal of Duke Redfist, those guys always mean trouble. And they REALLY hate the Orcs.

13. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    20th January 2019
    Progress on the next chapters has been going very well. Nothing stands in the way of releasing
    Chapters Three and Four in the demo update next week so far.
    Not entirely sure regarding Chapter Five yet. If I can add it too, I will, but I don't want to rush
    its release.
    We are also experimenting with some other stuff that I do not want to publish yet. If everything
    goes well, there will be something else updated next week. ;)

Stay tuned!

14. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    22nd January 2019
    Today is the day: Version 0.20 of the Second Orc Book has been released!
    In addition to the bug fixes and new additions, like Okri's item now granting her the ability to
    use mana burn, three new playable chapters have been added!
    Furthermore, the Upkeep system has received a little overhaul.
    While I considered removing the system entirely, I decided not to do that just yet.
    However, as Arkain requires you to build up huge armies, the upkeep penalties are just too huge.
    Therefore, the penalties have been reduced from 30% on Low Upkeep and 60% on High Upkeep
    to 20% and 40% respectively.
    All campaigns have received an update including this change.
    Enjoy them and the new chapters of the Second Orc Book of course!
    The new demo of the Second Orc Book can be found in Downloads

Version 0.20
    General:
    - Upkeep reworked: Low Upkeep now gives you 8 instead of 7 gold and High Upkeep now gives you 6 instead of 4 gold
    - Increased the hit points of Merciless
    - Decreased attack rate of Merciless
    - Merciless gained Command Aura
    - Merciless no longer has Defend
    - Fixed Okri from being an Agility-based hero into being a Strength-based hero
    - Grammar fixes
    - Tooltip fixes
    - Zarok now allows Okri to use Mana Burn (item ability)

Chapter One:
    - Fixed the handicaps for easy difficulty

Chapter Two:
    - Replaced two Merciless with Conquerors
    - Added three more Grunts to the first Orc group
    - Added two Crusaders to the side quest
    - Slightly moved one of the first Redfist groups

Interlude One:
    - Replaced the models of the two unnamed heroes

Chapter Three:
    - Released

Chapter Four:
    - Released

Chapter Five:
    - Released

Edit: Thanks to the people giving feedback, I was able to find & fix a few more bugs with a hotfix!
    Version 0.21
    Chapter Three:
    - Fixed hotkeys for several units

Chapter Four:
    - Fixed Demolisher hotkey
    - Fixed wrong text message when completing a side quest

Chapter Five:
    - Added new dialogue line
    - Fixed the bearmen choice

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  15. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    25th January 2019
    I hope you have enjoyed Chapters Three, Four and Five.
    Today another new update is released, it has no chapter this time, but it has added an
    important interlude called "Lost Daughters" - a very important interlude that will launch
    the REAL plot of this campaign!
    Take a look at the new version of the Second Orc Book in Downloads.
    I am sure you will not be disappointed!
    Enjoy!

Also, here you may find a small hint regarding Chapter Six:
    [​IMG]

Version 0.22
    Chapter Two:
    - Replaced Wound Healers with Red Priests

Chapter Three:
    - Fixed Demolisher hotkey

Chapter Four:
    - You can no longer upgrade the Stronghold to a Fortress

Interlude Two:
    - Released

16. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    29th January 2019
    Another week, another chapter - don't ask me to keep up with that speed, I can make no such promise. ;)
    Chapter Six has been released! The great battle between General Blen Greymoore and Rath Wolfscar!
    You can find the new version in Downloads.
    Who will win? There is only one way finding out!

Version 0.30
    Chapter Six:
    - Released

17. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    5th February 2019
    As some of you may already know, Chapter Seven of the Second Orc Book was finished yesterday.
    There is no new demo yet as I intend to release Chapter Seven & Chapter Eight together.
    Chapter Seven is going to finally introduce the Orc Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms!
    It will also be the point from which on the Humans will start using their own - Human Race Mechanic: Leadership Boni.

Be prepared, the invasion of Salria is at head! And I can see red dawn on the horizon...

18. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    10th February 2019
    Today's release is something very special.
    Not only are Chapters Seven and Eight being released, they both also are the first chapters to
    feature the Orc Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms!
    I am looking forward to read what you think about it!
    But of course we shall not forget the story either! The two new chapters feature the first REAL
    steps of the invasion of Salria! The first steps to create a new home for the Orcs and their newfound
    allies!
    Try out the new version in Downloads!
    Are you ready for this massive invasion? You better be!

Version 0.40
    General:
    - Fixed tooltip for Military Edict
    - Red Priests of Redfist now have a unique caster upgrade art icon
    - Edited several hero models to have hero glow by default, removing all kinds of bugs regarding wrong team colors for hero glows
    - Added the Demolish ability to Wallcrushers
    - Grammar fixes
    - Fixed the tooltip of Dripping Venom

Chapter Five:
    - The sludges by the fountain no longer belong to the Souleater Legion

Chapter Six:
    - Fixed Spider trigger
    - Fixed several messages
    - Aedale should now queue her spell animation in the ending cinematic as she was supposed to
    - Moved two of the Kasrkin Sergeants to more fitting positions
    - Fire Shield should no longer cause a spell book ability to appear

Chapter Seven:
    - Released

Chapter Eight:
    - Released

19. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    12th February 2019
    I want to thank everyone who helped reporting the bugs they've found in 0.40. This has helped
    me greatly to improve the quality of the new version.
    This has helped me to bring up two hotfixes on the day of 0.40's release and now I have updated
    yet another version: 0.43.
    This version should have fixed all issues reported - and a few more! You can find it in Downloads.
    Please continue reporting all bugs that you can find. :)

Here is the full changelog from 0.40 to 0.43:
    General:
    - Several grammar and other text- and tooltip-related fixes
    - Shredders are now trained in your Great Hall/Stronghold/Fortress instead of Barracks
    - Shredders no longer can transform into Warmechs
    - Warmechs are now trainable in the Barracks
    - Increased the food cost of Shieldbearers to 5
    - Mechanized Warfare and Aggressive Expansion now also require a Laboratory
    - Veteran Camps no longer claim to be Spirit Lodges
    - Warmechs now require the Air Form upgrade to switch to their aerial form
    - Fixed resource cost of Warmechs (no more cheap mechs for your war machines)
    - Berserk now requires Troll Berserk
    - Reduced Shielbearer base armor from 8 to 5
    - Fixed length of description for Hammer of Kome (damn you Blizzard, do not allow me to type in editor if it does not appear ingame)

Chapter Eight:
    - Flammedus' Centaurs no longer have any goblin units available (whom they cannot train due to the lack of Mechanized Warfare anyway)
    - Flammedus' Centaurs now starts with Burning Oil, Liquid Fire and Centaur Hooves already researched
    - Cliffhunter Clan now starts with Mechanized Warfare and Aggressive Expansion already researched
    - Cliffhunter Clan now has Cannon Towers instead of Watch Towers
    - Cliffhunter Clan now has Pig Farms instead of Burrows
    - Deathbreeze Clan now starts with Advanced Spiked Barricades (Sasrogarn could not come up with anything better to make up to the upgrades of his allies)
    - The Heavy Armor upgrade is no longer available if you have no access to Shieldbearers
    - Added a few units to the player base defenses
    - Redfist should now be able to properly recruit Conquerors
    - Fixed the lack of enemy leadership boni
    - Axethrowers, Dragon Lancers and Impalers are available again
    - Cliffhunter Clan now trains Clockworkers instead of Peons

The next version to be uploaded, 0.50, is going to add the following chapters:

Chapter Nine: The Legion
    Chapter Ten: Dogs of War
    Interlude Three: The Duke

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  20. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    18th February 2019
    Just a small progress report today to inform you about the development of the campaign.
    Chapter Nine "The Legion" has been finished and is currently being tested. It will be released when Chapter Ten and the next Interlude are finished.
    In addition to adding the next allies to your forces, the next release is also going to shed some light on events from not only the Orc Books - and it will answer some questions that the Second Human Book gave you.
    There are rumors that a redclad power might appear in the red dawn but only because the future lies in shadows, there is no proof for such claims!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.