1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Arkain News Network

Discussion in 'The Legends of Arkain Series' started by Shar Dundred, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    30th May 2019
    Today, I will show you some of the changes I have made to the map for the first chapter of
    the Second Undead Book - and also a small teaser!

As you have already seen in the last newspost, the Undead have been doing some serious
    improving of the defenses of the Dead Mountain and built their fortresses on it.
    However, these fortresses are more than simple fortresses (if you can call a fortress filled
    with armies of living dead that attack anyone who gets close "simple"), they are the main
    bases of the different undead nexus!
    But enough talk, let's take a look, shall we?
    The Nexus
    [​IMG]
    The Ejara Nexus has been moved to the area formerly occupied by the Nerubian rebels - and they are also using the Nerubians for breeding to create more undead!
    You may remember the Ejara Nexus, though they have not appeared a lot so far, so you may not.
    [​IMG]
    The Zirr Nexus also didn't have a lot opportunities to shine so far, but as you can see here, its nexus (the one that gave you Banshees) is active and stronger than ever!
    The bookshelves are filled with knowledge that would never get into the hands of mortals, a forbidden library with knowledge forbidden to all who are not dead.
    [​IMG]
    The Rohir Nexus, the one that was probably the hardest to activate in the First Undead Book, guarded by Orc artillery and on the height of a mountain, the one that gave you Crypt Fiends back then, has appeared on several occasions in the other books.
    The Undead of the Rohir Nexus have now built the mountain into a fortress, making it even harder to take this place.
    [​IMG]
    The Ardoz Nexus has not yet made an appearance in the other books, but their nexus is the one that gave you access to Meat Wagons.
    As you may see here, unlike the other nexus, they not only have cages but also corpses lying around for reasons we will go into deeper later!
    [​IMG]
    The Scarec Nexus is another nexus that you have not encountered yet, however, it has changed its appearance a lot since it gave you access to Necromancers in the First Book.
    Unlike the aforementioned Ardoz Nexus, it has no cages but instead a lot of corpses and skeletons!
    [​IMG]
    Last but not least, your old base, the core of the Splecir Nexus. Probably the most famous of the nexus due to being the one with the most appearances.
    It is heavily guarded as it is not only the nexus mostly used by Aridon but also the one that guards the entrance into the depths below the Dead Mountain.

"Where are the Lenira Nexus and the Kezzar Nexus?"
    A good question, Gary the fictional user who still does not exist! They both do not exist at this story point, that is why they are not here yet!

In addition, I would like you to know that I am going to do something I have been asked a lot, especially when the different Undead Nexus first appeared:
    Explain the difference between the different nexus apart from color!

As a matter of fact, I plan to write a short story to further elaborate on that topic, giving
    the nexus a bit more personality.
    And no, don't worry, they are all loyal servants of Aridon!

On other news, I am still working on the factions of the Undead, the fact that I want six is still
    taking a lot of time and I will take all the time I need to make things right rather than fast!

For those of you, who enjoy everything Arkain related & like Let's Plays, I highly recommend the
    YouTube channel of @Jayborino!
    He has started his Let's Play of the Second Orc Book on Tuesday and will according to his schedule
    release the next episode tomorrow at 12:30 PM EST (Use Google to check the time of your time zone).
    You can watch his first episode of the Second Orc Book here.
    He has also played the other campaigns of Arkain that have been released so far, if you have not seen them & are interested, check his playlists!

If you are not into his content or YouTube or Let's Plays in general, worry not, I will give you new content
    in the form of news or even the short story soon!

Stay tuned!

2. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1st June 2019
    Only a small newspost today regarding The Official Arkain Timeline [SPOILER].
    As some of you know, the timeline had been written when I had decided the Second Human Book
    to be the last WC3 campaign that I created. As that is no longer the case, there are some things
    that need to be changed as the events of the Second Orc and Undead Books are hardly mentioned
    in it at the moment.
    I do not plan to make any major retcons or anything, I do however plan to fix some story events
    and add missing ones to the timeline.
    Some things, like me deciding to turn a certain mercenary into a bigger character than he was supposed to be
    during the planning stage, have had more impact than originally intended and therefore change
    some things - this is something I have grown to like when it comes to development, despite having
    written a script that has all what I want to happen in it, things like pretty much the entire character
    arc of that certain mercenary come during development instead of before it.
    "Does that mean that you had his family butchered for fun during the creation of a map?"
    ...Shut up Gary.

Well, that's it for news for today, I will go back to the Undead Nexus and ask them if they want to torture Gary.

Stay tuned!

3. Kasrkin

Kasrkin

Resources:
    Resources:
    8th June 2019
    Ladies and gentlemen I'm bringing you a special news report curtsy of the main news thread.

I am stepping down as Arkain's lead tester and co-director, perhaps, this may be permanent but with these kinds of things you can never really tell. It could be a few months or never but I have enjoyed my time immensely with the project and I got a great friend out of it. Even though we argue sometimes but hey all friends do. My apologies that I didn't make it to the five year anniversary in August either, we've had a lot of people come and go over the years now but I thank you for all the support.

So let me say it simply, I'm going on hiatus to resolve some stuff. I'll still be around hither and thither but for now someone else has to handle the gameplay.

Thanks for putting up with me all these years.

4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    13th June 2019
    Short newspost today as I got much stuff to do.
    The dreadlord Maronogin has been added to the Character Sheet!
    News regarding the Second Undead Book & the short stories about the different Nexus will follow soon!

Stay tuned!

5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    15th June 2019
    The Lands of Arkain Update
    [​IMG]

Today the Second Human Book of Arkain has received another update.
    While there are no changes to the campaign and its maps themselves this time, there is a different
    change - a HUGE one.
    Thanks to the Hive user @Rhapsodie who took a lot of time to draw a TON of great maps of the
    Second Human Book - you can see one of them above! I liked them quite a lot so I asked if he could
    draw more so that I could edit them to use them as loading screens.
    The result of his work (I only cut and resized the pictures, and cropped them to be used as loading
    screens, he did literally everything here) is this update. Big shoutout once more to @Rhapsodie for
    the great effort he has put into this! In my opinion, the new loading screens are absolutely fantastic!

Note that "Choices of Humanity" and the Epilogues do not have any new loading screens.
    Choices of Humanity is only there for your choices so it does not need such a thing and the Epilogues
    simply take place in way too many different places to be put on a single loading screen.

You can view the unedited loading screens here!

Enjoy the update and stay tuned for news regarding the Second Undead Book - there will be some shortly!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    23th June 2019
    The new short story "Nexus of Old and New" has been added to the Tales of Arkain, explaining ow exactly
    the nexus differ from each other. I am sure you will find it rather interesting to read how
    the "mindsets" of the Undead are apart from Aridon being their one and only real ruler!

In addition, today the Undead Race Mechanic: Armies of the Dead has been changed.
    Its new name is now Undead Race Mechanic: Nexus of the Dead and you will soon see why.
    During the creation of the first chapter of the Second Undead Book, the work on the several
    undead factions and the progress of writing the "Nexus of Old and New" short story, I came
    to the conclusion that, rather than creating six full factions (which I am still going to add in
    a very very different way at some point in the future unrelated to the Second Undead Book
    ),
    it would be more interesting to flesh out the nexus not only by story but also by gameplay.
    Instead of choosing a faction at the beginning of the game, limiting you before you even know what
    you are up against, I have instead decided to create something of a hybrid of the Human Race Mechanic
    and the Orc Race Mechanic.
    Similar to the leadership boni, you will now be able to research upgrades, however they will not
    improve existing units, instead they will replace them with new units and/or also add new units
    to your tech tree.
    This research is not going to replace existing units. Else upgrades for these units would be
    a waste of resources & since some units are going to be replaced by more powerful units
    with higher cost, it would be a way to "cheese" your way through the unit costs, and after
    the issues in the Second Orc Book, I don't want to see that happen.

That's all for today, enjoy the short story, let me know what you think & stay tuned for more
    updates in the future!

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    25th June 2019
    After a long time of consideration, I have decided to do something I have not really done
    before.
    As you know, when I release a demo, it usually consists of the prologue and the first few chapters.
    That will still be the case, I intend the first demo release to be the Prologue and at least two chapters.
    However, within the next few days, I will release the Prologue as a teaser trailer for the Second
    Undead Book! It will be released as a single map so no use trying to browse the object data for campaign spoilers... :]
    I will not tell you too much about it apart from the fact that it will focus on everybody's favorite
    Watcher of Arkain and is called "The Eternal Watch"!

Stay tuned!

8. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2nd of July 2019
    Today I have released the cinematic "The Eternal Watch" of the Second Undead Book!
    You can find it in Downloads.
    Enjoy a little history lesson!
    There not being any text in the loading screen is on purpose. ;]

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    20th July 2019
    A new version of the Second Orc Book has been released!
    Check out this post to see the changes - I am sure some will not be happy with some changes
    but several had to be made for torture I mean balance!

I have been rather inactive lately due to being occupied otherwise and I still am,
    but work on the Second Undead Book will continue as soon as it is possible & I will keep you updated!

Stay tuned!

10. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    26th July 2019
    Today, the long and eagerly awaited Faction Sheet has been added to the forum!
    Currently, you can learn a bit more about eight factions of Arkain but many more are going
    to be added in the future, including factions that have not appeared in any of the campaigns
    but have been mentioned in the short stories of the Tales of Arkain!
    Take a look at the Faction Sheet and feel free to share your thoughts in the Round Table of Arkain!

11. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3rd August 2019
    The factions "Tribal Dominion" and "The Blackthorn" have been added to the Faction Sheet.

12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    27th August 2019
    Alright, it has been quite a while since the last time I have given any "meaningful" report on
    the progress of the Second Undead Books and I understand that some are starting to wonder
    about it.
    Apart from the fact that I an very occupied with other more important things than video games,
    However, the Second Undead Book will be finished in its WarCraft 3 form.
    I am still optimistic that it will be releaed long before the release of Reforged.

However, before I can fully concentrate on the next new chapter of Arkain from the perspective
    of everyone's favorite Watcher and his beloved henchmen, there are things I need to take care of.
    I intend to release an update for the Second Human Book and the Second Orc Book within the
    next few weeks.
    This update will try to fix most if not all issues brought to us by the bugs in Blizzards' 1.31.1 patch.
    In addition, it will bring more bug fixes, and both gameplay and visual improvements.
    Whatever chapter could this hail from?
    [​IMG]

As soon as this update drops, you can be sure that news regarding the Second Undead Book
    are not far.

Stay tuned, the battle for the Dead Mountain is not far!

13. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    25th September 2019
    Once again, some time has passed since the last newspost. I will try and make these
    more frequent again but I will not make a newspost when there is nothing to report.
    Today, there is quite a few things I want to bring to your attention - and some things
    that I want you to give your opinion on.

Update for the Second Human Book and the Second Orc Book
    In the last newspost, I have shown you plans for an update of the Second Human Book
    and the Second Orc Book.
    After spending quite some time with the update, I have decided that I should delay its release.
    The reason is, among other things, that there are things planned for the time after the Second
    Undead Book (more on that later) and I intend to combine one of these with this update.
    Also, I believe that people are more interested in (finally) seeing something of the Second Undead Book
    than "yet another update for a campaign they have already played a few times". ;)
    Therefore, the update teasered in the last newspost will be delayed.

The update itself will contain new AI units and buildings, all possible thanks to the great work
    of @Ujimasa Hojo.
    His work has been a great support for the creation of Arkain so far and will even play a bigger
    role in the future. While he is not a member of the Arkain project, I owe him and his models my
    greatest respects for making so many things possible, like the unique look of the Ironfist
    and the Tribal Dominion in later chapters. His work will also heavily shape the planned update.

Another thing that I would like to bring back after having abandoned it after the First Books is
    boss fights for characters like Renald van Durce, Gardon, Duke Redfist or Kersidar.

The Second Undead Book
    Full production of the Second Undead Book is continuing, but its release will be different from the other campaigns.
    While I have released the other campaigns step by step, adding new chapters as time goes by,
    I will make it a little different for the Undead Book. I will release a demo with a few maps and then
    heavily focus on the campaign in its final form rather than releasing many more demos.
    This serves to make the full release feel more meaningful, as in you have not already played
    most of it prior to release.
    I may change my mind during the creation process, but I would prefer trying it this way first.
    Also it gives you people even more reason to anticipate the full release. ;)

The Race Mechanics
    One of the reasons you have not heard too much from me is not that I had any problems with the
    Second Undead Book but the race mechanics were giving me headaches - which is why I have edited
    my plans regarding them in the last newsposts a few times now.
    I will continue with them for now just the way they were supposed to be included, but in the distant
    future I may decide to change my plans regarding them. Especially the Orc Race Mechnic is something
    I am not very satisfied with in its current form and the Undead Race Mechanics already have been
    heavily changed from what they had been supposed to be in the beginning to avoid overcomplicating
    things. I have found myself considering to simply give all races the current Human Race Mechanic to
    give the different heroes more meaning and character while also doing something for replayability.
    I dare say that, at least for the two existing race mechanics, the Leadership Boni is the more
    interesting one. This is why I want to wait with the final decision until more of the Second Undead Book
    has been done.
    Considering the number of endings I have planned for the Second Undead Book, I am sure it will have
    some playability either way. :)

The Future of Arkain
    I know that many have been wondering for a while now what is coming after the Second Undead Book:
    Third Books, timeskips, a single story continuing afterwards, events hinted at in the short stories, another Behind the Scenes...
    I will just say that there are currently no plans for "Third Books". I have quite some nice ideas for the
    future and many prototype scripts lying around.
    Before moving onward to the future, however, I will make sure to wrap up the series that we had so far
    in the best way possible after the Second Undead Book is done.
    The heroes of the Arkain Books are not done with you yet. :]
    Gardon has a necklace with your name on it, Amari has a message for you and Aridon has some secrets to share!
    Stay tuned!

Feel free to use the Round Table of Arkain to share your thoughts regarding this post & tell me what you think! I am all for an open discussion as long as everyone stays polite!

14. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    9th November 2019
    The short story "The Fall of Kerrel" has been added to the Tales of Arkain.

15. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    10th December 2019
    The short story "Troubles of the High King" has been added to the Tales of Arkain.
    Feel free to share your thoughts in the Round Table of Arkain!

There are several other short stories in progress but they are not yet fit to be released - I will release
    them soon, I just wanted to give you this one now as a little "foretaste" if you will. ;)

16. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    30th December 2019
    Happy Redfistday!
    Today is the day of the release of the "Father Redfist Update" for the Second Human Book and the Second Orc Book,
    the day when Redfist goes from house to house and brings his gifts to everyone!
    Apart from fixes that should cover several issues caused by Blizzard's bugs and other fixes and
    tweaks, this update adjusts several models for the different factions presented in Arkain.

This includes but is not limited to:
    The Pyrrean Army
    [​IMG]

Given Pyrru's status as a peninsula, many of the people of Pyrru are born sailors and either part of its great fleet or at the very least used to serve in it.
    Many soldiers of Pyrru, loyalists and rebels alike, once were part of its navy and their armor design is often identical to the armors used by the Pyrrean Marine.

Mayor Kent and his elite guards

[​IMG]
    With Toran being the kingdom where the original Zyainor originally started its conquest, a few Toranites still use the old armors of their Zyaise ancestors - or armors forged to look like the armors of old.
    Mayor Kent, being a distant descendant of a family of loyal servants of the old rulers of Zyainor who only changed sides at the very end of the war, still wears his armor with pride despite (officially) holding
    no loyalty to the fallen dragon worshipping nation.

The Noble Knights of Salria and their Pikemen
    [​IMG]
    Being a nation with powerful and noble but also proud and arrogant knights, Salria is a master of breeding. Both its armies and its wizards ride into battle on horseback - the war against the Centaurs has
    further increased the need of a powerful cavalry. The Knights of Salria call themselves the best knights of Arkain even though some would say that the Knights of Kome are superior to them - which is
    considered an outrageous insult by Salrian Knights.
    The war against the Centaurs has also made several leaders of the Salrian Royal Army rely on pikemen and spearmen rather than regular infantry to stop any cavalry charge as effectively as possible.

17. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    13th January 2020
    The new short story "Awakening the Dragon" has been added to the Tales of Arkain!
    Ever wondered how Gardon and the Black Dragons met? Read this to learn more!

18. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    21st January 2020
    The new short story "Drums in the South" has been added to the Tales of Arkain!
    This is the first short story dedicated to our friends of the Tribal Dominion! Make sure to check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.