1. Join Texturing Contest #30 now in a legendary battle of mythological creatures!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkain News Network

Discussion in 'The Legends of Arkain Series' started by Shar Dundred, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    21st February 2019
    Work on Chapter Ten is going well, Chapter Nine is also receiving some small adjustments as time goes by.
    I expect the next release of the demo to add some very interesting parts to the story of the Second Books.
    Especially the Interlude "The Duke" - which, despite the name, may still tell you a thing or two
    about other major characters than "The Duke" - just who could that duke possibly be? ;)

Speaking of revelations, a very small WIP spoiler of Chapter Ten waits just ahead!
    What secrets lie behind? What horrors?
    [​IMG] Well, two towers, obviously, duh!

2. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    24th February 2019
    I am proud to announce that today is the day you have been waiting for:
    The release of Chapters Nine and Ten and the third Interlude of the Second Orc Book!
    You will fight them on the beaches, the mountains and the fortress!
    Will you succeed? Will you defeat them? What horrible dangers await you?
    Well, there is only one way to find out! Check the Downloads!

Version 0.50
    General:
    - Several grammar and other fixes
    - Mechanized Warfare will no longer cause your Peons/Clockworkers to stop harvesting resources
    - Removed Scout Zeppelins from the Orc roster
    - War Zeppelins are now directly built from the Barracks
    - Decreased the attack speed of War Zeppelins from 3 per second to 2 per second against air units
    - Decreased the damage of War Zeppelins against air units by 3
    - Increased the damage of War Zeppelins against ground units by 5
    - Changed the color of the Deathbreeze Clan in all chapters from Dark Green to Emerald
    - Replaced the model of the Outrunner with a new variant of the same model
    - Fixed the caster icon for Elders
    - Increased hit points of Sappers to 120

Chapter Five:
    - Instantly skipping the cinematic during the mission should no longer cause your units to turn invulnerable

Chapter Eight:
    - Gryphon Riders deal Magic damage now

Chapter Nine:
    - Released

Chapter Ten:
    - Released

Interlude Three:
    - Released

3. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    25th February 2019
    After some consideration, the Orc Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms has received some changes.
    The abilities that allowed units to turn into other, more powerful units, have been removed.
    The ability caused some annoying bugs and also the micromanagement it caused was rather unneeded.
    Units are still capable to turn into other units, like the Grunt into the Axethrower and the other way around,
    but units like the Overlord or Clan Brute are now directly trained from the training buildings.
    The new version also fixed some bugs, you can find it in Downloads!
    Enjoy!

By the way, the next chapter may throw your keyboard underwater and the one after that may

be your nightmare.
    Stay tuned!

Version 0.51

General:
    - The Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms has been changed to fix all issues brought by it:
    * Units can no longer upgrade into more powerful units, those who were able to switch unit type for free still can however
    * Bloodhounds, Shieldbearers and Clan Brutes are now trained directly from the Barracks
    * Gladiators and Overlords are now trained directly from the Bestiary
    * Bearmen and Dragon Lancers are no longer available
    - Increased Shieldbearer food cost from 5 to 6
    - Lowered Overlord food cost from 10 to 8

Chapter Seven:
    - Replaced Bestiary with another Barracks
    - Bestiaries can no longer be built in this mission

Chapter Eight:
    - Flammedus no longer has access to War Zeppelins

Chapter Nine:
    - War Zeppelins are no longer trainable
    - Removed Liquid Fire upgrade

Chapter Ten:
    - All gates are invulnerable now

4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2nd of March 2019
    Ladies and gentlemen,
    progress on Chapter Eleven is doing very well, it is still in the testing phase since @Kasrkin,
    rightfully I must admit, pointed out that it is currently way too easy to be released - we already
    were going easy with the difficulty so far, we gotta stop that. ;)
    As you may remember, Chapter Eleven was the point when the Second Human Book back then
    got into its final development stages. It feels crazy to write this as the development of the Second
    Orc Book had started like what three to four months ago and we are at that point yet again!
    It seems that the current speed of progress is on fire - like the Orc Islands!
    As you may also remember, Chapter Eleven was the point when the Second Human Book split into
    two parts. This is not going to be the case with the Second Orc Book.
    The reason for that is not that I had no idea or anything, I had something written in the script actually,
    but I have decided to scrap it because... It would have involved a turn of events that was not only
    unrealistic but also involved certain conditions that I did not want to bring to the table in any way.
    That is not to say that there are no choices of effects of choices, hell no!
    As a matter of fact, I am proud to announce that there is also going to be a secret chapter that is
    available with a choice if certain conditions are met - the same conditions that also have impact on
    another major event. I am not going to spoil anything yet, I will wait until the release of the secret
    chapter - which is by the way VERY different from the one we had in the First Human Book, I can assure
    you, it is much longer, is very different from what I have created thus far and has an extremely huge effect
    on the storyline! - and also wait a bit more because I want to see if people can think of ways how to unlock it.

Stay tuned!

5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3rd of March 2019
    Today we are releasing Chapter Eleven of the Second Orc Book: Dark Sea!
    In this chapter you are going to face the combined forces of the pirates and the mercenaries,
    meeting two new characters: Pirate Queen Zora and Taray the Guardian of Lightning!
    These two will fight you on the island, fight you on the open sea, fight you on the beaches and
    finally fight you inside their bases, using scoundrels and the power of lightning against you!
    Prove that the Orcs are the rulers of the sea! Sink their ships and raze their bases to the ground!
    But stay on your guard: sea ships are not going to be your only concern here!
    Download the new version in Downloads and look to the skies!

In addition to the new chapter, various improvements and adjustments have been made for
    older chapters. Here is the changelog:
    Version 0.60
    General:
    - Increased food cost of Axethrowers to 3
    - Increased cooldown for Zarok's Mana Burn ability from 9 to 15

Chapter Two:
    - Added a new dialogue

Chapter Three:
    - Cannon Towers are no longer displayed as an option for your Watch Towers to be upgraded into
    - Added and expanded some dialogues
    - Added a new enemy AI

Chapter Four:
    - The Royal Army in the north and the south now has Barracks to replace lost units
    - The Demon waves have been buffed and are slightly more randomized, offering a larger variety of Demon units
    - Several unit & destructible placement adjustments
    - Added some dialogues

Chapter Five:

Interlude Two:
    - Thanok no longer appears in the interlude

Chapter Seven:
    - Added two big attack waves from the Golden Guard

Chapter Eight:
    - Added a few units defending the enemy bases
    - Cassius' Forces now use Ares Knights
    - Rebalanced Flammedus' stats to give him less mana but more hit points in exchange

Chapter Nine:
    - Fixed Brockta's casting animations
    - You now get notifications telling you how many roosts are left and the quest log also updates upon them being destroyed
    - Increased Moghtar defenses

Chapter Ten:
    - You now get notifications telling you how many of your side objective targets are left and the quest log also updates upon them being destroyed
    - The Goblin Shipyard is now owned by the player and has an ability to exchange lumber for gold so you no longer have to move a hero close to it
    - Windwitches no longer switch to Harpies
    - Zelech now returns to his starting position from time to time if he has moved too far away
    - Queens now deal Chaos damage
    - The first wave of Fire Golems is now delayed and causes a message warning you about them - only the first one will warn you of the unwanted guests though!
    - Later attacks of the AI are now stronger than before

Interlude Three:
    - Added new dialogue options for those who completely destroyed their relationship with the Humans

Chapter Eleven:
    - Released

Now looking towards the events that still await us, I see great armies of Humans. And a crown.... A crown made of bone.
    Or... is it more than one?

6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    16th of March 2019
    "Hey it has been like two weeks now and Shar still hasn't released anything! Is he finally
    running out of his speed energy, I got other things to do than get brutally butchered in Arkain,
    you know!"
    Answer: Nope!
    Chapter Twelve has been completed and added to the demo along with the hidden Secret Chapter!
    The question is how you can unlock the secret chapter! Well, it is rather different from the other secret
    chapter Arkain had so far. I will not spoil you too much as I also want to see if you are able to find it
    on your own!
    The only hint I will give you is that it is nothing for diplomatic Orcs!
    Download the new version here: Downloads

Now, here's the changelog:
    Version 0.70
    General:
    - Several tooltip and bug fixes
    - Conquerors are now affected by the Animal War Training upgrade
    - The unit & item version of Command Aura now also only affects melee units
    - Summoned Granite Golems are no longer affected by Orc upgrades
    - Replaced the icon of Reincarnation
    - Reduced food cost of Assassins from 3 to 2
    - Decreased training time of Marauders from 40 to 35
    - Decreased damage dealt by Gladiators
    - Increased damage dealt by Maulers
    - Replaced Warden's Bloodlust with Inner Fire
    - Removed Mana Burn from Zarok
    - New ability for Okri: Mana Burn
    - New ability for Amari: Shadowbound
    - New ability for Zairmak: Teleportation
    - New ability for Sasrogarn: Lightning Shield
    - Changed Grella's stat gain per level so that she gains less strength and more agility instead

Secret Chapter:
    - Released

Chapter Six:
    - Greymoore and his units are no longer handicapped on Easy

Chapter Eight:
    - Changed the model of General Torash

Interlude Three:
    - Duke Redfist now has a new model in the flashbacks

Chapter Eleven:
    - Decreased the gold in the two mines on the starting island
    - Fixed hotkey for the Orc Shipyard

Chapter Twelve:
    - Released

I would also like to let you know that besides working on the final chapters of the Second Orc Book,
    I am also writing a new series of entries for the "Heirs of Zyainor" in the Tales of Arkain!
    Can't say for sure when I will be done, one short story has been finished so far, but like with the original
    five entries for Heirs of Zyainor, I want to release five at once.
    Stay tuned for both more stories to read and chapters to play! And don't be spooked out by the next
    mission, you may meet some old friends!

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    20th of March 2019
    Enjoyed the latest update? Hope you did for things are about to get harder from now on!
    After consulting with @Kasrkin, I have decided to buff the enemy AI with the next update which will also bring you a very important Interlude!
    Chapter Thirteen is also on its way. It is going to feature nothing less than the ultimate showdown with Duke Volarian Redfist the Tyrant!
    He is bringing his elite forces and Bloodstone allies to wipe out the entire race of Orckind! And Commander Daric has run out of underlings so he will have to attack you himself this time!
    Can you withstand the combined forces of your enemies who have hunted you for the entirety of the Second Orc Book? Do you have what it takes to lead the Tribal Dominion to victory?
    You will know soon. The long chase is almost over and only one side can survive the onslaught!

Also, another series of short stories has been released in Tales of Arkain, "The Heirs of Zyainor Vol. II"!
    If you liked the first five, I am sure you will like these too!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    22nd of March 2019
    Today I am bringing you the last Interlude (apart from the Epilogue) for the Second Orc Book,
    called the "Birth of the Dominion"! I don't think the name leaves much to the imagination,
    so I will not say too much about it!
    I will say, however, that this is the point where many of your choices come to bear.
    Like with the last Interlude, your past actions will have an impact here.
    It is about time I explain this:
    Several choices you have made in the First and Second Orc Books have affected your relationship
    with the Humans. Causing them trouble, makes you gather so-called "Negativity Points".
    If you have too many of these points, the Humans (and Vanessa too) will have no love for your kind
    (or rather even less!) and consider you a threat. At the same time, if you want to play the Secret
    Chapter you HAVE TO collect the points - those of you who already played it, know why!
    In the spoiler tag down below you can find all variables that have an impact on your relationship
    with the Humans!
    Also, along with the update come a few fixes and changes, especially for Chapter Twelve, I highly
    recommend giving it another shot!
    You can download the new version in Downloads
    Stay tuned, more is yet to come! Chapter Thirteen and the Redfist is drawing closer...

Version 0.72
    General:
    - Fixed a bug with Amari's Shadowbound ability

Chapter One:
    - Removed the choice from the ending cinematic

Chapter Four:
    - The blue base now rebuilds lost buildings even on easy difficulty so that they will not be overrun by the Demons

Secret Chapter:
    - Added a few military buildings for the enemies
    - Increased the hit points of enemy heroes (yes, even Sasrogarn)

Chapter Twelve:
    - Fixed Brockta belonging to the player if he cannot be loaded from game cache
    - Your allied heroes all start at either lvl 9 or 10
    - Added a few military buildings to the human bases
    - Increased the strength of some undead units
    - Replaced some enemy units with new ones
    - The Bonelords have finally found their lost sacred calcium supply and now have re-gained their lost powers (that means that some of their abilities have been replaced with more powerful ones and their stats have been boosted!)
    - Increased hit points and damage of Undead buildings
    - Replaced and added a few enemy heroes

Deeds that make you collect Negativity Points
    - Attacking the Kasrkin in Ch. 3 FOB
    - Attacking the Ironfist instead of the Moghtar in Ch. 4 FOB
    - Disagreeing with Vanessa in Ch. 7 FOB (Killing all Humans)
    - Killing the Humans instead of the Undead in Ch. 8 FOB
    - Killing Salomar in Ch. 9 FOB
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    - Destroying the Imperial Army bases in Ch. 3 SOB
    - Destroying the bases of the Bull and Phoenix Regiments in Ch. 4 SOB
    - Destroying the base of the Royal Army in Ch. 4 SOB
    - Killing Logan in Ch. 12 SOB

Effects of Negativity Points (mild spoilers)
    Having 6 or more after Chapter Ten unlocks the Secret Chapter!
    Having 6 or less after Chapter Twelve unlocks a special dialogue in the interlude!

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    24th of March 2019
    Boom! Guess you didn't expect another news this soon, eh?
    Or maybe you did, the current speed of the project is pretty impressive indeed!
    For the record, I have NOT gone insane yet, I promise.
    Anyway, today is a day many of you have been waiting for: A Red Day!
    The final showdown with Duke Redfist and Commander Daric!
    We are EXTREMELY close to the full release of the Second Orc Book, ladies and gentlemen.
    You can find the new version in Downloads, as per usual.
    What could possibly come after this final showdown? Maybe you will find out, the only way
    of knowing is playing the game!
    Enjoy!

Version 0.80
    General:
    - Several tweaks and fixes

Chapter Twelve:
    - Fixed the allied AI not rebuilding lost buildings
    - Changed the weather
    - Allied AIs will now rebuild part of their towers if they lose too many of them

Interlude Four:
    - Fixed some grammar
    - Fixed some portrait colors

Chapter Thirteen:
    - Released!

10. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    29th of March 2019
    Today is a special day: The release of the last demo of the Second Orc Book!
    In addition to the usual fixes and tweaks, it includes the Chapters Fourteen and Fifteen - yes,
    the final chapters of the Second Orc Book!
    You will stand before High Lord Renald van Durce, facing the Lord Inquisitor and his entire army
    in battle.
    It is not the first time you have to fight against the Lord Consultant and his allies, but this time,
    it is the Dominion's turn!
    Once you have defated the General of the Golden Guard and decimated his forces, you will have
    to face Kersidar and his Souleater Legion to put an end to their machinations.
    Are you up for the challenge? Time to prove it! Download the new version in Downloads.

The Epilogue, along with additional improvements, will be released in the full version of the Second
    Orc Book.
    Also, Pechan has received some changes to his abilities which will probably result in you losing
    skill points. In order to fix this, you merely have to play Chapter Seven of the Second Orc Book
    again and then launch Chapter Fourteen - or if you don't mind the points, just launch Fourteen
    right away!

Stay tuned for the release of the full version!

Version 0.90
    General:
    - Several tweaks and fixes
    - Replaced Pechan's Engineering Upgrade with Industrialism
    - Pechan now stars with upgraded abilities to make up for the loss of Engineering Upgrade

Chapter Four:
    - Added a Fountain of Healing

Interlude Four:
    - Added a slight dialogue difference regarding Rangul's choice in Chapter Four of the First Orc Book

Chapter Twelve:
    - You no longer start with all upgrades researched

Chapter Thirteen:
    - Added a slight difference in dialogue regarding the events in Interlude Four
    - You no longer start with all upgrades researched

Chapter Fourteen:
    - Released

Chapter Fifteen:
    - Released

11. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3rd April 2019
    A character you might already have met in the First Undead Book and the Second Orc Book
    has been added to to the Character Sheet: Haran'tel-kazor, the Nerubian Overlord!
    In addition, I'd like you to know that I intend to upload a small update for the Second Orc Book
    at the end of the week, fixing all bugs that have been found until then. After that, I am going to
    take a little break from mapping. I will, however continue writing scripts for the next campaign & also
    try to focus a bit more on the Character Sheet and the currently not available Faction Sheet.
    MAYBE short stories too.

Stay tuned for future updates! And watch your graveyards...

13. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    10th April 2019
    The following characters have been added to the Character Sheet:
    Humans & Allies:
    - Lord Marin
    - Sir Praxeus "The Holy Bastion" Braelon
    - General Salana Woodhunter
    - General Selior Cleavehand

Orcs & Allies:
    - Vanessa

I currently have 10 characters left that I want to add to the Character Sheet.
    After that, I will see if I can finally get to the never released Faction Sheet.
    Enjoy the new entries & stay tuned!

14. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    12th April 2019
    The following characters have been added to the Character Sheet:
    Humans & Allies:
    - Horgar Whitebeard
    - Lord Korras Retka
    - Queen Renova
    - Salomar the Healer
    - Scarlett Retka
    - Prince Toraes of Kerrel
    - Vail
    - High King Zarin Hammerfall

Orcs & Allies:
    - Lokar the Crusher
    - Oneeye

Demons:
    - Urshan

As you can see, I have added 11 instead of 10.
    The list I had so far for unfinished characters had not included characters that would appear
    in the Second Undead Book - now you also got Urshan, a demon you will meet in the Second Undead Book!
    As time goes by, I am going to add more characters to the sheet, but I wanted to finish the ones
    that were already "known" characters first. Expect more Undead but also Dark Elves and other races!
    Stay tuned & enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.