1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Arkain News Network

Discussion in 'The Legends of Arkain Series' started by Shar Dundred, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    21st February 2019
    Work on Chapter Ten is going well, Chapter Nine is also receiving some small adjustments as time goes by.
    I expect the next release of the demo to add some very interesting parts to the story of the Second Books.
    Especially the Interlude "The Duke" - which, despite the name, may still tell you a thing or two
    about other major characters than "The Duke" - just who could that duke possibly be? ;)

Speaking of revelations, a very small WIP spoiler of Chapter Ten waits just ahead!
    What secrets lie behind? What horrors?
    [​IMG] Well, two towers, obviously, duh!

2. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    24th February 2019
    I am proud to announce that today is the day you have been waiting for:
    The release of Chapters Nine and Ten and the third Interlude of the Second Orc Book!
    You will fight them on the beaches, the mountains and the fortress!
    Will you succeed? Will you defeat them? What horrible dangers await you?
    Well, there is only one way to find out! Check the Downloads!

Version 0.50
    General:
    - Several grammar and other fixes
    - Mechanized Warfare will no longer cause your Peons/Clockworkers to stop harvesting resources
    - Removed Scout Zeppelins from the Orc roster
    - War Zeppelins are now directly built from the Barracks
    - Decreased the attack speed of War Zeppelins from 3 per second to 2 per second against air units
    - Decreased the damage of War Zeppelins against air units by 3
    - Increased the damage of War Zeppelins against ground units by 5
    - Changed the color of the Deathbreeze Clan in all chapters from Dark Green to Emerald
    - Replaced the model of the Outrunner with a new variant of the same model
    - Fixed the caster icon for Elders
    - Increased hit points of Sappers to 120

Chapter Five:
    - Instantly skipping the cinematic during the mission should no longer cause your units to turn invulnerable

Chapter Eight:
    - Gryphon Riders deal Magic damage now

Chapter Nine:
    - Released

Chapter Ten:
    - Released

Interlude Three:
    - Released

3. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    25th February 2019
    After some consideration, the Orc Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms has received some changes.
    The abilities that allowed units to turn into other, more powerful units, have been removed.
    The ability caused some annoying bugs and also the micromanagement it caused was rather unneeded.
    Units are still capable to turn into other units, like the Grunt into the Axethrower and the other way around,
    but units like the Overlord or Clan Brute are now directly trained from the training buildings.
    The new version also fixed some bugs, you can find it in Downloads!
    Enjoy!

By the way, the next chapter may throw your keyboard underwater and the one after that may

be your nightmare.
    Stay tuned!

Version 0.51

General:
    - The Race Mechanic: Brothers in Arms has been changed to fix all issues brought by it:
    * Units can no longer upgrade into more powerful units, those who were able to switch unit type for free still can however
    * Bloodhounds, Shieldbearers and Clan Brutes are now trained directly from the Barracks
    * Gladiators and Overlords are now trained directly from the Bestiary
    * Bearmen and Dragon Lancers are no longer available
    - Increased Shieldbearer food cost from 5 to 6
    - Lowered Overlord food cost from 10 to 8

Chapter Seven:
    - Replaced Bestiary with another Barracks
    - Bestiaries can no longer be built in this mission

Chapter Eight:
    - Flammedus no longer has access to War Zeppelins

Chapter Nine:
    - War Zeppelins are no longer trainable
    - Removed Liquid Fire upgrade

Chapter Ten:
    - All gates are invulnerable now

4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2nd of March 2019
    Ladies and gentlemen,
    progress on Chapter Eleven is doing very well, it is still in the testing phase since @Kasrkin,
    rightfully I must admit, pointed out that it is currently way too easy to be released - we already
    were going easy with the difficulty so far, we gotta stop that. ;)
    As you may remember, Chapter Eleven was the point when the Second Human Book back then
    got into its final development stages. It feels crazy to write this as the development of the Second
    Orc Book had started like what three to four months ago and we are at that point yet again!
    It seems that the current speed of progress is on fire - like the Orc Islands!
    As you may also remember, Chapter Eleven was the point when the Second Human Book split into
    two parts. This is not going to be the case with the Second Orc Book.
    The reason for that is not that I had no idea or anything, I had something written in the script actually,
    but I have decided to scrap it because... It would have involved a turn of events that was not only
    unrealistic but also involved certain conditions that I did not want to bring to the table in any way.
    That is not to say that there are no choices of effects of choices, hell no!
    As a matter of fact, I am proud to announce that there is also going to be a secret chapter that is
    available with a choice if certain conditions are met - the same conditions that also have impact on
    another major event. I am not going to spoil anything yet, I will wait until the release of the secret
    chapter - which is by the way VERY different from the one we had in the First Human Book, I can assure
    you, it is much longer, is very different from what I have created thus far and has an extremely huge effect
    on the storyline! - and also wait a bit more because I want to see if people can think of ways how to unlock it.

Stay tuned!

5. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3rd of March 2019
    Today we are releasing Chapter Eleven of the Second Orc Book: Dark Sea!
    In this chapter you are going to face the combined forces of the pirates and the mercenaries,
    meeting two new characters: Pirate Queen Zora and Taray the Guardian of Lightning!
    These two will fight you on the island, fight you on the open sea, fight you on the beaches and
    finally fight you inside their bases, using scoundrels and the power of lightning against you!
    Prove that the Orcs are the rulers of the sea! Sink their ships and raze their bases to the ground!
    But stay on your guard: sea ships are not going to be your only concern here!
    Download the new version in Downloads and look to the skies!

In addition to the new chapter, various improvements and adjustments have been made for
    older chapters. Here is the changelog:
    Version 0.60
    General:
    - Increased food cost of Axethrowers to 3
    - Increased cooldown for Zarok's Mana Burn ability from 9 to 15

Chapter Two:
    - Added a new dialogue

Chapter Three:
    - Cannon Towers are no longer displayed as an option for your Watch Towers to be upgraded into
    - Added and expanded some dialogues
    - Added a new enemy AI

Chapter Four:
    - The Royal Army in the north and the south now has Barracks to replace lost units
    - The Demon waves have been buffed and are slightly more randomized, offering a larger variety of Demon units
    - Several unit & destructible placement adjustments
    - Added some dialogues

Chapter Five:

Interlude Two:
    - Thanok no longer appears in the interlude

Chapter Seven:
    - Added two big attack waves from the Golden Guard

Chapter Eight:
    - Added a few units defending the enemy bases
    - Cassius' Forces now use Ares Knights
    - Rebalanced Flammedus' stats to give him less mana but more hit points in exchange

Chapter Nine:
    - Fixed Brockta's casting animations
    - You now get notifications telling you how many roosts are left and the quest log also updates upon them being destroyed
    - Increased Moghtar defenses

Chapter Ten:
    - You now get notifications telling you how many of your side objective targets are left and the quest log also updates upon them being destroyed
    - The Goblin Shipyard is now owned by the player and has an ability to exchange lumber for gold so you no longer have to move a hero close to it
    - Windwitches no longer switch to Harpies
    - Zelech now returns to his starting position from time to time if he has moved too far away
    - Queens now deal Chaos damage
    - The first wave of Fire Golems is now delayed and causes a message warning you about them - only the first one will warn you of the unwanted guests though!
    - Later attacks of the AI are now stronger than before

Interlude Three:
    - Added new dialogue options for those who completely destroyed their relationship with the Humans

Chapter Eleven:
    - Released

Now looking towards the events that still await us, I see great armies of Humans. And a crown.... A crown made of bone.
    Or... is it more than one?

6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    16th of March 2019
    "Hey it has been like two weeks now and Shar still hasn't released anything! Is he finally
    running out of his speed energy, I got other things to do than get brutally butchered in Arkain,
    you know!"
    Answer: Nope!
    Chapter Twelve has been completed and added to the demo along with the hidden Secret Chapter!
    The question is how you can unlock the secret chapter! Well, it is rather different from the other secret
    chapter Arkain had so far. I will not spoil you too much as I also want to see if you are able to find it
    on your own!
    The only hint I will give you is that it is nothing for diplomatic Orcs!
    Download the new version here: Downloads

Now, here's the changelog:
    Version 0.70
    General:
    - Several tooltip and bug fixes
    - Conquerors are now affected by the Animal War Training upgrade
    - The unit & item version of Command Aura now also only affects melee units
    - Summoned Granite Golems are no longer affected by Orc upgrades
    - Replaced the icon of Reincarnation
    - Reduced food cost of Assassins from 3 to 2
    - Decreased training time of Marauders from 40 to 35
    - Decreased damage dealt by Gladiators
    - Increased damage dealt by Maulers
    - Replaced Warden's Bloodlust with Inner Fire
    - Removed Mana Burn from Zarok
    - New ability for Okri: Mana Burn
    - New ability for Amari: Shadowbound
    - New ability for Zairmak: Teleportation
    - New ability for Sasrogarn: Lightning Shield
    - Changed Grella's stat gain per level so that she gains less strength and more agility instead

Secret Chapter:
    - Released

Chapter Six:
    - Greymoore and his units are no longer handicapped on Easy

Chapter Eight:
    - Changed the model of General Torash

Interlude Three:
    - Duke Redfist now has a new model in the flashbacks

Chapter Eleven:
    - Decreased the gold in the two mines on the starting island
    - Fixed hotkey for the Orc Shipyard

Chapter Twelve:
    - Released

I would also like to let you know that besides working on the final chapters of the Second Orc Book,
    I am also writing a new series of entries for the "Heirs of Zyainor" in the Tales of Arkain!
    Can't say for sure when I will be done, one short story has been finished so far, but like with the original
    five entries for Heirs of Zyainor, I want to release five at once.
    Stay tuned for both more stories to read and chapters to play! And don't be spooked out by the next
    mission, you may meet some old friends!

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    20th of March 2019
    Enjoyed the latest update? Hope you did for things are about to get harder from now on!
    After consulting with @Kasrkin, I have decided to buff the enemy AI with the next update which will also bring you a very important Interlude!
    Chapter Thirteen is also on its way. It is going to feature nothing less than the ultimate showdown with Duke Volarian Redfist the Tyrant!
    He is bringing his elite forces and Bloodstone allies to wipe out the entire race of Orckind! And Commander Daric has run out of underlings so he will have to attack you himself this time!
    Can you withstand the combined forces of your enemies who have hunted you for the entirety of the Second Orc Book? Do you have what it takes to lead the Tribal Dominion to victory?
    You will know soon. The long chase is almost over and only one side can survive the onslaught!

Also, another series of short stories has been released in Tales of Arkain, "The Heirs of Zyainor Vol. II"!
    If you liked the first five, I am sure you will like these too!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    22nd of March 2019
    Today I am bringing you the last Interlude (apart from the Epilogue) for the Second Orc Book,
    called the "Birth of the Dominion"! I don't think the name leaves much to the imagination,
    so I will not say too much about it!
    I will say, however, that this is the point where many of your choices come to bear.
    Like with the last Interlude, your past actions will have an impact here.
    It is about time I explain this:
    Several choices you have made in the First and Second Orc Books have affected your relationship
    with the Humans. Causing them trouble, makes you gather so-called "Negativity Points".
    If you have too many of these points, the Humans (and Vanessa too) will have no love for your kind
    (or rather even less!) and consider you a threat. At the same time, if you want to play the Secret
    Chapter you HAVE TO collect the points - those of you who already played it, know why!
    In the spoiler tag down below you can find all variables that have an impact on your relationship
    with the Humans!
    Also, along with the update come a few fixes and changes, especially for Chapter Twelve, I highly
    recommend giving it another shot!
    You can download the new version in Downloads
    Stay tuned, more is yet to come! Chapter Thirteen and the Redfist is drawing closer...

Version 0.72
    General:
    - Fixed a bug with Amari's Shadowbound ability

Chapter One:
    - Removed the choice from the ending cinematic

Chapter Four:
    - The blue base now rebuilds lost buildings even on easy difficulty so that they will not be overrun by the Demons

Secret Chapter:
    - Added a few military buildings for the enemies
    - Increased the hit points of enemy heroes (yes, even Sasrogarn)

Chapter Twelve:
    - Fixed Brockta belonging to the player if he cannot be loaded from game cache
    - Your allied heroes all start at either lvl 9 or 10
    - Added a few military buildings to the human bases
    - Increased the strength of some undead units
    - Replaced some enemy units with new ones
    - The Bonelords have finally found their lost sacred calcium supply and now have re-gained their lost powers (that means that some of their abilities have been replaced with more powerful ones and their stats have been boosted!)
    - Increased hit points and damage of Undead buildings
    - Replaced and added a few enemy heroes

Deeds that make you collect Negativity Points
    - Attacking the Kasrkin in Ch. 3 FOB
    - Attacking the Ironfist instead of the Moghtar in Ch. 4 FOB
    - Disagreeing with Vanessa in Ch. 7 FOB (Killing all Humans)
    - Killing the Humans instead of the Undead in Ch. 8 FOB
    - Killing Salomar in Ch. 9 FOB
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    - Destroying the Imperial Army bases in Ch. 3 SOB
    - Destroying the bases of the Bull and Phoenix Regiments in Ch. 4 SOB
    - Destroying the base of the Royal Army in Ch. 4 SOB
    - Killing Logan in Ch. 12 SOB

Effects of Negativity Points (mild spoilers)
    Having 6 or more after Chapter Ten unlocks the Secret Chapter!
    Having 6 or less after Chapter Twelve unlocks a special dialogue in the interlude!

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    24th of March 2019
    Boom! Guess you didn't expect another news this soon, eh?
    Or maybe you did, the current speed of the project is pretty impressive indeed!
    For the record, I have NOT gone insane yet, I promise.
    Anyway, today is a day many of you have been waiting for: A Red Day!
    The final showdown with Duke Redfist and Commander Daric!
    We are EXTREMELY close to the full release of the Second Orc Book, ladies and gentlemen.
    You can find the new version in Downloads, as per usual.
    What could possibly come after this final showdown? Maybe you will find out, the only way
    of knowing is playing the game!
    Enjoy!

Version 0.80
    General:
    - Several tweaks and fixes

Chapter Twelve:
    - Fixed the allied AI not rebuilding lost buildings
    - Changed the weather
    - Allied AIs will now rebuild part of their towers if they lose too many of them

Interlude Four:
    - Fixed some grammar
    - Fixed some portrait colors

Chapter Thirteen:
    - Released!

10. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    29th of March 2019
    Today is a special day: The release of the last demo of the Second Orc Book!
    In addition to the usual fixes and tweaks, it includes the Chapters Fourteen and Fifteen - yes,
    the final chapters of the Second Orc Book!
    You will stand before High Lord Renald van Durce, facing the Lord Inquisitor and his entire army
    in battle.
    It is not the first time you have to fight against the Lord Consultant and his allies, but this time,
    it is the Dominion's turn!
    Once you have defated the General of the Golden Guard and decimated his forces, you will have
    to face Kersidar and his Souleater Legion to put an end to their machinations.
    Are you up for the challenge? Time to prove it! Download the new version in Downloads.

The Epilogue, along with additional improvements, will be released in the full version of the Second
    Orc Book.
    Also, Pechan has received some changes to his abilities which will probably result in you losing
    skill points. In order to fix this, you merely have to play Chapter Seven of the Second Orc Book
    again and then launch Chapter Fourteen - or if you don't mind the points, just launch Fourteen
    right away!

Stay tuned for the release of the full version!

Version 0.90
    General:
    - Several tweaks and fixes
    - Replaced Pechan's Engineering Upgrade with Industrialism
    - Pechan now stars with upgraded abilities to make up for the loss of Engineering Upgrade

Chapter Four:
    - Added a Fountain of Healing

Interlude Four:
    - Added a slight dialogue difference regarding Rangul's choice in Chapter Four of the First Orc Book

Chapter Twelve:
    - You no longer start with all upgrades researched

Chapter Thirteen:
    - Added a slight difference in dialogue regarding the events in Interlude Four
    - You no longer start with all upgrades researched

Chapter Fourteen:
    - Released

Chapter Fifteen:
    - Released

11. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  12. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    3rd April 2019
    A character you might already have met in the First Undead Book and the Second Orc Book
    has been added to to the Character Sheet: Haran'tel-kazor, the Nerubian Overlord!
    In addition, I'd like you to know that I intend to upload a small update for the Second Orc Book
    at the end of the week, fixing all bugs that have been found until then. After that, I am going to
    take a little break from mapping. I will, however continue writing scripts for the next campaign & also
    try to focus a bit more on the Character Sheet and the currently not available Faction Sheet.
    MAYBE short stories too.

Stay tuned for future updates! And watch your graveyards...

13. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    10th April 2019
    The following characters have been added to the Character Sheet:
    Humans & Allies:
    - Lord Marin
    - Sir Praxeus "The Holy Bastion" Braelon
    - General Salana Woodhunter
    - General Selior Cleavehand

Orcs & Allies:
    - Vanessa

I currently have 10 characters left that I want to add to the Character Sheet.
    After that, I will see if I can finally get to the never released Faction Sheet.
    Enjoy the new entries & stay tuned!

14. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    12th April 2019
    The following characters have been added to the Character Sheet:
    Humans & Allies:
    - Horgar Whitebeard
    - Lord Korras Retka
    - Queen Renova
    - Salomar the Healer
    - Scarlett Retka
    - Prince Toraes of Kerrel
    - Vail
    - High King Zarin Hammerfall

Orcs & Allies:
    - Lokar the Crusher
    - Oneeye

Demons:
    - Urshan

As you can see, I have added 11 instead of 10.
    The list I had so far for unfinished characters had not included characters that would appear
    in the Second Undead Book - now you also got Urshan, a demon you will meet in the Second Undead Book!
    As time goes by, I am going to add more characters to the sheet, but I wanted to finish the ones
    that were already "known" characters first. Expect more Undead but also Dark Elves and other races!
    Stay tuned & enjoy!

15. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    23rd April 2019
    Today we have quite some stuff to talk about!
    I am currently tinkering on the factions for the Undead Race Mechanic: Armies of the Dead.
    I have completed the script unit rosters and currently tinker around with the rest of their techtree.
    At this particular moment, I have rosters for 6 (!) factions to pick from in the Second Undead Book.
    Do not worry being overwhelmed by thiss massive amount of factions, they will be introduced to you
    in chapters dedicated to them. No exact details on the tech trees yet because we are still in early
    planning phase and things are bound to change.
    I am also thinking up ideas for the Undead Race Mechanic: Undying Craft, but not too much progress here yet.
    In addition, there has been some work done by me on the Faction Sheet, but it will take some time before
    I can present the results - I would prefer writing a bit more beforehand.
    Last but not least, I'd like you all to know that I am currently writing on a short story dedicated to a
    beloved (and by now dead) character that is being missed dearly. I cannot tell you when I will release
    it, but I am sure it may draw a tear to some eyes. Or skulls, if you are undead.

So, yeah, this is the kind of stuff I am doing while I am still on my break.
    I will soon return my full attention to Arkain, don't you worry. ;)

To finish this news post off, I'd like you to participate in the thread I am linking here, telling me about
    your favorite books/campaigns so far - and why you chose them!
    Name your book!

Now I'll go to rattle me bones.
    Have a nice day!

16. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    24th April 2019
    Well, it went faster than I expected. The short story "Seabright" has been released in the Tales of Arkain!
    Give it a read, I am quite sure you will find it interesting, it made even @Kasrkin shed a tear or two!

17. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1st May 2019
    Undying Craft
    Today we are going to take a closer look at the Undead Race Mechanic: Undying Craft for the Second Undead Book.
    Recently I found myself looking a lot at this mechanic and after putting much thought into it
    (and creating over 30 items) I have decided to change the concept of it to make it more appealing.
    Originally, Undying Craft was supposed to allow you the creation of items that were (mostly) not
    connected to any of your characters and either simply nice items or even artifacts, with the faction
    you choose also affecting what kind of items you had available.
    While I really liked the idea behind this, it turned out to be less appealing than I originally thought.

So, I decided to change it a bit, making it less tedious while also giving it a deeper meaning.
    Instead of items that may have no connection to anyting, I have decided to instead make all
    items introduced by this new system connected to the playable characters in one way or another.

Let me explain what I mean by this.

As in the other Second Books, all of your characters still have specific items that they start with,
    however some of those can be upgraded and new ones can be added!

I will give you a few examples so that you may understand what I mean - and also show you
    a few characters you are going to control, but I am sure you already knew that for at least some!
    I will of course not show you EVERYTHING yet, that would take away the surprise.

Let us start with our favorite sarcastic lich, Rahandir Drakeskull!
    Rahandir starts with an item that contains his very Spirit Essence!
    [​IMG]
    This item GREATLY reduces the time it takes to revive Rahandir if he falls in battle (by about 2/3).
    Sounds neat? Well, it is upgradeable!
    If you play your cards right, Rahandir can create a Phylactery to contain his spirit essence.
    [​IMG]
    In addition to greatly reducing his revival time, this item is also giving Rahandir the ability
    of directly deny death by coming right back after his death.
    This makes it extremely hard for your enemies to get rid of Rahandir and allows you to call
    for more Fists of Ice if necessary!

However, in addition to this item, Rahandir can also gain two NEW items!
    [​IMG]
    Let us start with the Gauntlets of Mastery.
    Being a magician of supreme power and possessing a clear mind, Rahandir is capable of crafting
    an item that not only further improves his skills as a caster by increasing his Intelligence while
    also enabling him to take control of summoned units.
    [​IMG]
    The second item Rahandir can create from scratch is the Book of the Undying.
    This book allows the lich to call upon the champions of the balance of Arkain - the powerful
    Spirit Legionnaires -to serve him in battle while also increasing his maximum amount of mana.
    This additional mana can be used to call upon even more Fists of Ice!

Next, let us move on to the sinister undead dreadlord Ornasion the Destroyer (if you didn't
    know yet that he was going to be undead, you skipped the other Second Books so shush,
    stop reading and play them!)
    Ornasion starts the campaign with his Damaged Orb.
    [​IMG]
    Having been damaged in the previous fight, this orb has lost most of its power, in this state
    it only allows Ornasion to attack Demons.
    Therefore, it is highly recommened to repair it so it can be Ornasion's functioning Orb again!
    [​IMG]
    Repairing the Orb has quite its benefits! Not only does it increase the damage dealt by Ornasion,
    it also gives him a chance of 20% to deal double damage. This greatly improves Ornasion's power
    in a 1v1, especially if combined with his other items!

Like Rahandir, Ornasion also can create two new items.
    [​IMG]
    Given his new status as an undead, Ornasion's old armor no longer fit him and therefore Ornasion can
    have the Armor of the Destroyer forged anew.
    This armor not only gives Ornasion a great boost to his armor, it also grants him Immolation, making it
    not only hard to hit him but also very painful to stand next to him!
    [​IMG]
    The other item Ornasion can obtain is the Soulkeeper.
    This item contains the soul of an enemy of the Destroyer (hence the name) who can use this item
    to not only increase his hit points but also to heal himself! This in combination with an armor that makes
    it hard to hit him and an orb that makes him a terrifying duelist, turns the already powerful Ornasion
    into a foe to be reckoned with!

Finishing off the examples here will be Queen Keera, the undead elven queen!

She does not have as many items at her disposal as Ornasion or Rahandir but these two simply are characters
    with quite a few items to choose from (not all characters will have as many), so I think it is a good choice for the end.
    Keera starts the campaign with her Crown of Agony.
    [​IMG]

This is the very crown Keera was buried with. Before her death, Keera was haunted by the many mistakes
    she had made both as queen and as person. This agony has been channelled into her crown and now increases
    her mana while also giving her access to the Finger of Death, turning her enemies from the inside out.
    [​IMG]
    In addition to her crown, Keera was also buried with her weapon which can be turned into the Harvester of Souls.
    Harvesting the souls of her fallen victims with this weapon, the Harvester increases Keera's hit points and also
    gives her a powerful life stealing attack, making her incredibly tough for an Agility based hero.

So, that was it for today. I could of course list more items like the swords of the ruthless Sir Edoarus or the armors
    of the vain Lady Meya or items for other characters, but that will all come in time.
    I am currently working on finishing the two race mechanics for the Undead (most of the items are done, finishing
    the different undead factions will be more work). Once that is done, I will get to the creation of the maps themselves
    so that we can finally start the beginning of the the end of the Second Book era.
    Stay tuned!

18. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2nd May 2019
    While working on the Undead Race Mechanic: Armies of the Dead, I have come to realize
    it will probably take a while until I have any more interesting news for you as the creation
    of the six factions will take some time, especially since I want to thoroughly plan them all
    first before actually creating them.

Therefore I have decided to tease the Undead Race Mechanic: Undying Craft a bit more.
    In the hidden tag below you can see all icons & names for the (current) character-related
    items that have been created by me for the Second Undead Book.
    Their lore and stats are missing purposefully here because I want them to be left to your
    imagination for the time being. All shall be revealed in time.
    Note that most but not all of the listed items are part of the race mechanic. Why I share
    them then? To tease you! :p

Stay tuned for further updates!

Also, the Current Project Showcase has been updated!
    Be sure to check it out!

[​IMG] Rahandir's Spirit Essence
    [​IMG] Rahandir's Phylactery
    [​IMG] Gauntlets of Mastery
    [​IMG] Book of the Undying
    [​IMG] Damaged Orb
    [​IMG] Ornasion's Orb
    [​IMG] Armor of the Destroyer
    [​IMG] Soulkeeper
    [​IMG] Crown of Agony
    [​IMG] Harvester of Souls
    [​IMG] Sign of Unlife
    [​IMG] Scepter of Death
    [​IMG] Mask of Illusions
    [​IMG] Ring of Damnation
    [​IMG] Cloak of the Avatar
    [​IMG] Heart of the Dead Mountain
    [​IMG] Blade of Kal'ragar
    [​IMG] Exectuioner's Greatsword
    [​IMG] Beheader
    [​IMG] Justice
    [​IMG] Plate of the Executioner
    [​IMG] Armor of the Executioner
    [​IMG] Edoarus' List
    [​IMG] Nightfall
    [​IMG] Nightsong
    [​IMG] Shield of Darkness
    [​IMG] Shield of Horrors
    [​IMG] Black Cuirass
    [​IMG] Tome of Arachnids
    [​IMG] Black Lotus Crystal
    [​IMG] Ancient Gem
    [​IMG] Rune of the Spider
    [​IMG] Ice Crown of Spider Kings
    [​IMG] Spider Ring
    [​IMG] Painbringer
    [​IMG] Harbinger of Ruin
    [​IMG] Crown of the Frost Mistress
    [​IMG] Deathbreeze Necklace
    [​IMG] Fury
    [​IMG] Vengeance
    [​IMG] Gift of the Warmonger

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  19. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    6th May 2019
    The Rise of the Shadow Update
    "I remember how they were all long gone when I returned to this realm.
    My shadows, my race... destroyed. I also remember the pain I felt when I learned of it...
    So many were lost." - The Master of Shadows

Today our friend known as "Lord Brian the Fallen" has decided to make his presence known to
    those few who were still unaware.
    Both the Second Human Book and the Second Orc Book have been updated to show the influence
    he has in both of them. The Second Human Book made some people hate him, the Second Orc Book
    on the other hand shows why he did what he did and that there is more to the mysterious mentor than
    meets the eye apart from being more shadow than man.
    For those of you who fear a massive amount of shadows running around the campaigns, you can relax,
    the changes are not THAT severe. They are quite minor and mostly visual for the final chapters.

In the hidden tag you can see what exactly the changes look like and in the changelogs below that you
    can see which chapters are actually affected, along with the other changes that have been made.
    Of course there are more changes than just that, for details look at the changelogs.
    The screenshots for the Second Books have been put in different spoiler tags for those of you who may
    not have played one or the other Second Book yet and/or want to be surprised in one but not both of them.

Screenshots:
    Second Human Book
    [​IMG]

Second Orc Book
    [​IMG]

Changelogs:
    Second Human Book
    Chapter Seven:
    - The items you get from Larine if you chose Salana are now the ones from Chapter Six instead of Chapter Five

Chapter Twelve:
    - Replaced the building models used by the Dominion to better showcase their new organisation
    - Changed the names of some edited buildings

Chapter Thirteen:
    - New model for Orie Redfist
    - New model for Red Mages

Chapter Fourteen A:
    - Replaced the building models used by the Ironfist to better showcase their new organisation
    - Replaced the models used by Peasants and Militia

Second Orc Book
    General:
    - War Mills now use the BETA model & icon of the Orc Lumbermill
    - Rock Golems now require a Spirit Lodge instead of War Mill

Chapter Six:
    - Replaced the building models used by the Darkmind Clan buildings to fit both the weather and their "renegade" status
    - Added slightly more snow terrain

Chapter Thirteen:
    - New model for Orie Redfist
    - Replaced the building models used by the Dominion to better showcase their new organisation
    - Cannon Towers are no longer available
    - Orc Watch Towers have been upgraded:
    * Higher gold cost
    * Weaker version of the Cannon Tower attack against ground units in addition to the attack against air units
    - Pig Farms have been replaced by Burrows for Clockworkers
    - Spirit Lounge is no longer available but also not needed as all caster upgrades are already researched

Chapter Fourteen:
    * Higher gold cost
    * Weaker version of the Cannon Tower attack against ground units in addition to the attack against air units
    - Spirit Lounge is no longer available but also not needed as all caster upgrades are already researched

Chapter Fifteen:
    * Higher gold cost

Epilogue:
    - Slight dialogue adjustments (including a scene at the end where Aridon uses the REAL name of the Master of Shadows)

20. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    26th May 2019
    "Hey Shar, you haven't been posting much for a while now, are you gone or just not doing anything?"
    Hell no, Gary the fictional user who does not exist, I have been active behind the scenes of Arkain!
    As mentioned in the earlier news posts, the Undead Race Mechanic: Armies of the Dead takes
    a lot more time to finish than you might think, given that I have to create several undead factions
    while also trying to make them NOT bare bones or copies of each other!
    However, I want to use this opportunity to show you some of the stuff I have been doing in the last few days!

In the hidden tagbelow you can see the first WIPs of Chapter One of the Second Undead Book!
    It takes place on the Dead Mountain, however, not the Dead Mountain you may remember from
    the First Undead Book, no, the Undead have increased the defenses of that "cursed mountain"
    to make it an absolute PAIN to invade!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Man the Undead really are heavily guarding the Nerubians, aren't they?

"But Shar, I thought you didn't want to use old maps again!"
    I am not directly re-using an old map, Gary, I am re-purposing it as in heavily changing it, making
    it very different from the map used in the past.
    In fact, it would actually be easier for me to just create a new map instead but I wanted to use
    the same map because this IS pretty much the Dead Mountain we all know and love - though I
    think that several of the living characters of Arkain may disagree and would love to destroy the place
    instead but that's another topic!
    So, yeah, the map will be somehow familiar, but it will be heavily edited rather than simply re-used.

Also, I didn't want to do that, but I decided to show you one of the factions for the Undead today:
    The Skeleton Legion
    [​IMG]

Note that I may not show all the undead factions the way I am doing it here, I wanted to keep it a
    surprise but due to the fact that it takes so long to finish everything up for the first chapters to be

released, I thought wthis to be some kind of compensation. RATTLE ME BONES!

The Skeleton Legion starts out with weak units that are easily massed but then turns
    into a faction with access to some of the most horrifying skeleton monstrosities in existance.
    You can either drown your enemies in a sea of bones or smash them with giant monsters.
    Or even go a step further and infect them so that they will join your armies...

The Skirmisher
    The first skeleton you will send into battle. Weak but also very cheap and easily massed.
    It pretty much serves only to drown your enemies in sheer numbers but can also be
    upgraded to be a little less easily killed.

The Poacher
    Like the Skirmisher, this unit is rather cheap and weak and can be upgraded, but provides
    ranged support. The Poacher and the Skirmishers are the units you can go for when you
    lack resources and time - or when you want to field your army as quickly as possible.
    Like the Skirmisher, the Poacher can be upgraded to be slightly more useful.

The Shieldguard
    This is your first unit that does NOT die quickly. Your bread and butter (or bone and sinew?)
    infantry unit that can form a potent frontline to protect your other units. They can also be
    upgraded to receive less damage from both spells and magic and gain even more armor.

The Vulture Rider
    What's scarier than a skeleton on the ground? Right, a skeleton in the air! The Vulture Riders
    are your first flyer unit for the Skeleton Legion, excellent at providing ranged support for your
    ground forces or protecting the slower Frost Wyrms. They can be upgraded to gain an ability
    that allows them to deal more damage.

The Skullmancer
    The Skullmancer is your primary debuffer caster for the Skeleton Legion. While his starting
    abilitiy helps keep your units alive rather than harm enemies, he will later throw skulls at your
    enemies and disrupt their own spellcasters.

The Bonemender
    Your primary supportive caster, the Bonemender can be used to keep your skeletons much longer
    in the heat of battle. He is the kind of caster you want around when you want to both buff
    and heal your units.

The Skeletapult
    Your siege unit, the Skeletapult, starts throwing ordinary rocks at your enemies but an be upgraded
    to fire plague bombs instead to further weaken your enemies.

The Annihilator
    This terrifying monster created by necromancy, the Annihilator, is an absolute BEAST in battle.
    It can endure much damage and will go toe-to-toe with even the most powerful Demons and will
    not only cause much harm, it will also be capable to stun them when upgraded.

Frost Wyrm
    Frost Wyrms, we all know & love them (or hate them if you just played the final mission of
    the First Orc Book or had lots of bad luck in Chapter Twelve of the Second Orc Book).
    Your heavy assault flyer for the Skeleton Legion. Not much to say, they are still the same
    terror they were before.

The Plaguebringer
    While not as impressive looking as the Annihilator, the Plaguebringer is actually one of if
    not the most dangerous units of the Skeleton Legion. It exists for one purpose only: To spread
    plague and pestilence. It will also infect enemy units to even further increase the number of
    skeletons at your disposal. Their scythes bring both death and plague upon all who stand in their way.

This is it for today, stay tuned for future updates!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.