1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Aeon of War

Submitted by MoCo
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
LATEST VERSION: 1.03

Change log

v1.03
- some minor fixes and balancing adjustments

v1.02
- significant improvements on hero balance
- big item re-design
- AI update: computer heroes now buy some basic equipment
- many cosmetic changes and terrain improvements
- heroes now have a fixed amount of mana since spells are not becoming more expensive at higher levels
- added minimap symbols for shops
- increased life regeneration speed at fountains
- tower strength slightly decreased
- various code tweaks
- various small adjustments
- added weather effects

v1.00
- some little adjustments and polish
v0.99
- it is no longer possible to build towers very near to strategic points
- some small adjustments (necromancer nerfed)
v0.98
- fixed a bug with the tauren druid bear form
- re-added fountains in bases
- decreased mage frost bolt damage
v0.97b
- fixed a critical bug that made it impossible for the light blue player to choose a hero in non-fullhouse games
v0.97
- Added a random score screen at game end
- added formulas to spell descriptions
- new model for horde rogue, new skin for human necro
- hitpoints of towers slightly increased
- various small fixes and adjustments
v0.96:
- significantly improved hero balance; heroes now scale 100% symmetrically
- capture points re-arranged (one at each lane)
- honor system improved: honor is now given to all nearby allies and for many events
- added new items
- all heroes are now able to attack creeps & air units
- Added a path that connects top and middle lane
- Added abilitiy preloading to improve performance/avoid first spell usage lag
- critters no longer block other units
- fixed a bug that leaving players were not been taken over by AI
- added standard of war
- various other small fixes and adjustments
v0.95: Many terrain improvements, a new Hero: Ancient protector, many new items, respawnable creeps, various changes/improvements on heroes and many other small adjustments.
v0.94: Various changes/improvements on terrain, balance, heroes, items and such.
v0.93: Another greater update. 2 new heroes: Paladin (exclusively available for alliance) and Shaman (Horde side only). The goblin mage has been exchanged by an Ogre mage. Some other small changes and updates.
v0.92: This is a huge update: new terrain and one new hero: the Necromancer
v0.91: Small huntress adjustments
v0.9: Huge Huntress update/finish: completed spells, 3 pets to choose from, pet behaviour feels more natural now
v0.87: fixed a crucial bug, that allowed players to get more than one hero, rogue: fixed a bug, that normal attacks out of stealth didn't always do critical damage
v0.86: just some little changes and bugfixes, some terrain changes

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map offers fast paced AoS gameplay on a high level of quality introducing many new features. The heroes are mostly inspired by WoW and are equipped with characteristic spells and abilities making each of them a unique playing experience. Due to a custom damage system, the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the hero's attributes and anything from normal attacks to spells may crit. Moreover, the map provides a honor system, a tactical capture point system, decent AI/bots, various items (some with special scripted effects), many new graphics and FX, no hidden imbanesses and carefully balanced heroes. Everything is fully written in vjass and works in a trim performance. The map is meant to provide a reasonable alternative to the usual dota styled AoS maps - give it a try!

SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

DAMAGE, SPELL AND ITEM SYSTEM
The power of spells and abilities scales with your hero's attributes and everything can crit: normal attacks, abilities and spells. Accordinlgy, items may increase attributes, but may also directly affect spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.

HEROES
The hero pool contains classic heroes inspired by WoW and some new ones. The choice of spells is meant to recreate the characteristic playing experience of these hero classes. Most of the heroes have at least 6 spells/abilities which increases tactical depth and options compared to the usual 4 spells. Most abilities and spells have small cooldowns so you are able to frequently use them. Therefore, most heroes require a considerable amount of micro management to be played efficiently. However, there are also some heroes requiring less micro which makes them a good choice for more relaxed casual players. Finally, the hero design enables a considerable focus on teamplay. Since the number of identical heroes is not restricted, there are countless different team-combinations.

The map features the following heroes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Druid, Rogue, Huntress, Necromancer, Paladin, Shaman, Ancient Protector.

CAPTURE POINT GAMEPLAY
The capture point system creates additional strategic depth in the game. Captured points give your team additional gold every few seconds. Gold is exclusively used as a pro-team resource that you can spend on base and troop upgrades or reinforcements.

HONOR SYSTEM
Your hero receives honor for many relevant actions like PvP, creeping, capturing strategic points, destroying enemy structures, killing enemies and heroes or healing/buffing your allies. Honor is your personal resource for hero powerup and you can spend it to buy powerful items.

BOTS AND AI
The map features AI. Of course it won't compete with real human players but it still may provide a decent challenge. You can fill up player slots with computer players as you like to get a full house everytime you want. Personally, I love playing in LAN with friends and usually it's hard to get together 10 people. Therefore, it turned out to be a nice feature to add some computer buddies.

CREDITS (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfv (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils,IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Callahan (Angy Trunk model), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Nasrudin (tauren druid model), Red XIII (WCII orc tower model), shamanyouranus (fx art, totem models), sPy (fx art), Szythe (fx art), takakenji (Ogre mage model), Tarrasque (Pandaren ninja model), Uncle Fester (Troll hunter model), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art).[/hidden]

Last but not least, thanks to the Hive Workshop for being an awesome site!

HAVE FUN PLAYING AND FEEL FREE TO REPORT ANY FEEDBACK - IT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS! :)

Keywords:
AoS, WoW, war, epic, crit, capture, defense, offense, dota, AI, bots
Contents

Aeon of War (Map)

Reviews
15:00, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: [img][c] Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended Rep Received: 5[c]Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions...
  1. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    not roar, sry i made a mistake, i mean taunt

2. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Oh.. yepp, I've removed this ability from the bears because I thought it might be just unnecessary. But I could add it again..

3. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    no its ok, i only wanted to know if its a bug

4. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    when the new version comes out? :D
    another question: if i import the tauren druid nodel, what i must change?

5. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Gimli, plz keep such questions that are not related to the map away from this thread and use PM instead. Do you want to know the texture paths or.. ?

New version - no idea. Most of the things are done. But I think for the next update, I'll take care of the AI and improve it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    y, i mean texture path

7. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Review:

Gameplay:

The heroes are just so much fun to play. They are all unique, there's a fair amount of heroes to choose from, they all exciting and custom spells to use and they're all fun to play.
    The AI is just such a huge plus and it's not some really quickly made AI, they're really advanced and can be really challenging to kill.
    The items are just amazing, they are all custom and there are 2 resources, one for buying units and one for buying items for your hero.
    The items themselves are very cool, however it's frustrating how you can't sell an item you can't use.
    And the capture points are a really neat addition to the game.
    And the special effects are really flashy and fit the spells.

Terrain:

The environment is really neat, the terrain isn't flat, a lot of environmental doodads, huge trees, fitting fog effects and it's pretty well filled up.

Other:

The presentation is also very well, from the quest log to the in-game messages and the hiveworkshop description.

Overall:

An amazing AOS, very fresh, although nothing too original, but there a lot of features all packed into one map making it really interesting to play.

Rating: 5/5

8. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The map prewiew is not the coolest i have seen. It is just a pic of gameplay?

9. Chucky

Chucky

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Your map is awesome but what I don't like is the fact that the camera si so far high from the world view and please add more heroes :D...and this is only optional, find someone to improve the AI a bit. Other than that it's Great !

10. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Vengeancekael, thanks a lot for the kind words and the pos. review! You really made my day, thanks. :)

@Rufus: There are many maps around with epic previews and just no map behind it. However, I agree that the preview could be improved. Any ideas? At least, gameplay pic shows a bit of the map.. ;)

@Chucky: I could easily add a command to change the camera height; maybe by just using 2 or 3 presets so players can choose what they like. This is going on the todo-list for the new version.
    And you are right: AI should be further improved and this will be the main issue I'll adress when releasing a new version. For example, AI heroes buy no items yet. I'm definitely gonna work on this.
    New heroes would be fine too.. However, I must admit I'm running out of ideas a bit. Especially when concerning that new heroes should also feature unique and new abilities without being copies of the existing ones. Suggestions are very welcome! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

11. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    wait... WHAT NO ITS PERFECT

12. Chucky

Chucky

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It's not that hard to think of a hero :)...Let's see for an example I used the Demon Hunter's alternate animation and named him Horned Demon (of course it could be better) and he represents the Demon Hunters that were drawn to the use of demon energies so much that their very souls got corrupted. Like Illidan after he consumed the skull of gul'dan...Now abilities you could try asking someone to do it. I think there's a spell workshop on the Hive. :) Lot's of luck and one thing I liked is that your gameplay seems normal combat type...I mean no stupid overpowered heroes that kill 7 units in one ability or attack with 10000 miles per hour you know what I'm saying ? keep up the good work ;)...as for the map aesthetics it could use some refining too :)

13. BlackArmsShadow

BlackArmsShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map very nice - fun heroes, the A.I is somewhat functional, the terrain is well-crafted. But, I also have a minor issue with it - for one, it's far too easy to push into bases during assaults even at low levels due to the low amount of damage towers recieve before falling and the relative fraility of units compared to the heroes. Also, a range reduction of the mage and hunter's attacks might help with balance issues.

Also, I would like it if you added a mid range Strength-based Marine hero that has area of effect nuke spells with secondary effects, like a shotgun blast that affects a single target and knocks them back while dealing reduced damage to surrounding units or a grenade that deals damage and dazes enemies.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  14. iAye

iAye

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    so coool!

15. crehym

crehym

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    From your description and from other people's comments I can say that this map is sweeeeet. Gonna play this when I have my computer back to normal.

16. Kl3sk

Kl3sk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't you DARE touch this map! Other than maybe a few balance tweaks and aesthetics, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game-play. Now, if you'd remember me, I was one of the first people to review this AoS masterpiece. I'm very curious of what you have planned next. Now then...to the Test-Cave!

17. RakEnRoL

RakEnRoL

Resources:
    Resources:
    Based on the screenshots, it looks really fun! I`ll test it now!

18. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hey there, thanks for the feedback and checking it out. And Kl3sk, of course I remember you! :)

Thanks to christmas vacations, I got some free time to spend on mapping again. Let me know, if you have some new suggestions for this map.

Besides, I'm currently working on a new project: It will be a 3 player coop/defense game that involves three dwarfs that are the last ones alive to defend the halls of their ancestors from an evil threat.

19. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you ever find yourself in a bind concerning concept/ideas, or just want to do some brainstorming give me a PM and I'll gladly help you out.

20. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    gonna play it :D