• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Aeon of War

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
LATEST VERSION: 1.05

v1.03
- some minor fixes and balancing adjustments

v1.02
- significant improvements on hero balance
- big item re-design
- AI update: computer heroes now buy some basic equipment
- many cosmetic changes and terrain improvements
- heroes now have a fixed amount of mana since spells are not becoming more expensive at higher levels
- added minimap symbols for shops
- increased life regeneration speed at fountains
- tower strength slightly decreased
- various code tweaks
- various small adjustments
- added weather effects

v1.00
- some little adjustments and polish
v0.99
- it is no longer possible to build towers very near to strategic points
- some small adjustments (necromancer nerfed)
v0.98
- fixed a bug with the tauren druid bear form
- re-added fountains in bases
- decreased mage frost bolt damage
v0.97b
- fixed a critical bug that made it impossible for the light blue player to choose a hero in non-fullhouse games
v0.97
- Added a random score screen at game end
- added formulas to spell descriptions
- new model for horde rogue, new skin for human necro
- hitpoints of towers slightly increased
- various small fixes and adjustments
v0.96:
- significantly improved hero balance; heroes now scale 100% symmetrically
- capture points re-arranged (one at each lane)
- honor system improved: honor is now given to all nearby allies and for many events
- added new items
- all heroes are now able to attack creeps & air units
- Added a path that connects top and middle lane
- Added abilitiy preloading to improve performance/avoid first spell usage lag
- critters no longer block other units
- fixed a bug that leaving players were not been taken over by AI
- added standard of war
- various other small fixes and adjustments
v0.95: Many terrain improvements, a new Hero: Ancient protector, many new items, respawnable creeps, various changes/improvements on heroes and many other small adjustments.
v0.94: Various changes/improvements on terrain, balance, heroes, items and such.
v0.93: Another greater update. 2 new heroes: Paladin (exclusively available for alliance) and Shaman (Horde side only). The goblin mage has been exchanged by an Ogre mage. Some other small changes and updates.
v0.92: This is a huge update: new terrain and one new hero: the Necromancer
v0.91: Small huntress adjustments
v0.9: Huge Huntress update/finish: completed spells, 3 pets to choose from, pet behaviour feels more natural now
v0.87: fixed a crucial bug, that allowed players to get more than one hero, rogue: fixed a bug, that normal attacks out of stealth didn't always do critical damage
v0.86: just some little changes and bugfixes, some terrain changes

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map offers fast paced AoS gameplay on a high level of quality introducing many new features. The heroes are mostly inspired by WoW and are equipped with characteristic spells and abilities making each of them a unique playing experience. Due to a custom damage system, the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the hero's attributes and anything from normal attacks to spells may crit. Moreover, the map provides a honor system, a tactical capture point system, decent AI/bots, various items (some with special scripted effects), many new graphics and FX, no hidden imbanesses and carefully balanced heroes. Everything is fully written in vjass and works in a trim performance. The map is meant to provide a reasonable alternative to the usual dota styled AoS maps - give it a try!

SCREENSHOTS

119593-albums2839-picture67414.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67415.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67416.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67417.jpg

DAMAGE, SPELL AND ITEM SYSTEM
The power of spells and abilities scales with your hero's attributes and everything can crit: normal attacks, abilities and spells. Accordinlgy, items may increase attributes, but may also directly affect spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.

HEROES
The hero pool contains classic heroes inspired by WoW and some new ones. The choice of spells is meant to recreate the characteristic playing experience of these hero classes. Most of the heroes have at least 6 spells/abilities which increases tactical depth and options compared to the usual 4 spells. Most abilities and spells have small cooldowns so you are able to frequently use them. Therefore, most heroes require a considerable amount of micro management to be played efficiently. However, there are also some heroes requiring less micro which makes them a good choice for more relaxed casual players. Finally, the hero design enables a considerable focus on teamplay. Since the number of identical heroes is not restricted, there are countless different team-combinations.

The map features the following heroes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Druid, Rogue, Huntress, Necromancer, Paladin, Shaman, Ancient Protector.

CAPTURE POINT GAMEPLAY
The capture point system creates additional strategic depth in the game. Captured points give your team additional gold every few seconds. Gold is exclusively used as a pro-team resource that you can spend on base and troop upgrades or reinforcements.

HONOR SYSTEM
Your hero receives honor for many relevant actions like PvP, creeping, capturing strategic points, destroying enemy structures, killing enemies and heroes or healing/buffing your allies. Honor is your personal resource for hero powerup and you can spend it to buy powerful items.

BOTS AND AI
The map features AI. Of course it won't compete with real human players but it still may provide a decent challenge. You can fill up player slots with computer players as you like to get a full house everytime you want. Personally, I love playing in LAN with friends and usually it's hard to get together 10 people. Therefore, it turned out to be a nice feature to add some computer buddies.

CREDITS (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfv (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils,IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Callahan (Angy Trunk model), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Nasrudin (tauren druid model), Red XIII (WCII orc tower model), shamanyouranus (fx art, totem models), sPy (fx art), Szythe (fx art), takakenji (Ogre mage model), Tarrasque (Pandaren ninja model), Uncle Fester (Troll hunter model), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art).[/hidden]

Last but not least, thanks to the Hive Workshop for being an awesome site!

HAVE FUN PLAYING AND FEEL FREE TO REPORT ANY FEEDBACK - IT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS! :)

Keywords:

AoS, WoW, war, epic, crit, capture, defense, offense, dota, AI, bots
Contents

Aeon of War (Map)

Aeon of War (Map)

Reviews
15:00, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended Rep Received: 5Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards...

M

15:00, 13th Aug 2010
ap0calypse: Approved

Update:
hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended
Rep Received: 5
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Review:

Gameplay:

The heroes are just so much fun to play. They are all unique, there's a fair amount of heroes to choose from, they all exciting and custom spells to use and they're all fun to play.
You've also kept the amount of heroes really low, to keep it simple and too complicated, making the map noob-friendly.
The AI is just such a huge plus and it's not some really quickly made AI, they're really advanced and can be really challenging to kill.
The items are just amazing, they are all custom and there are 2 resources, one for buying units and one for buying items for your hero.
The items themselves are very cool, however it's frustrating how you can't sell an item you can't use.
And the capture points are a really neat addition to the game.
And the special effects are really flashy and fit the spells.

Terrain:

The environment is really neat, the terrain isn't flat, a lot of environmental doodads, huge trees, fitting fog effects and it's pretty well filled up.

Other:

The presentation is also very well, from the quest log to the in-game messages and the hiveworkshop description.

Overall:

An amazing AOS, very fresh, although nothing too original, but there a lot of features all packed into one map making it really interesting to play.

Gonna test it as soon as I download it. Sounds awesome, though the preview is a bit blurry. Sorry, I just love good map previews.

Bad Sides:
Terrain setup, map gameplay very similar to DoTa. Be more original!
Heroes felt lacking. Maybe add level-up abilities.
The Huntress' bear was annoying, as he kept running to me. Use 'Attack-move' action instead of 'Move'.
Not much custom imports.
Maybe add more of your own heroes.

Good Sides:
Unoriginal, yet exceptional idea.
The towers here are much weaker thank god!
Added strategic point system.
Added a cool honour point system.
Lots of different spawned units with upgrades.
Terrain is above decent.

Overall:
Too DoTa like to be original, too fun to be boring. A nice map that still needs a bit of touch-ups. 4/5 and voted for approval.

Last edited:
Level 15
Aeon of War: A hero defence consisting of unique systems that make the gameplay unique and differing from dota. Players start by picking a hero each then proceeding to kill units/heroes, capture way points then eventually upgrading the troops and heroes to finally destroy the base to win.
Although the gameplay has certain resemblance to dota, but the idea make it very unique when playing.

Opinions: I think you need to add floating text to show the amount of gold earned by killing units units, on top of that please remove the exclaimation marks from the shops and provide players with base honor points. You can choose to implement other things, this just need more polishing to be so much better.

Level 11
Major bug: Druids in bear form cost no food, so you can get lots of druid units that way...

Also, when a hero is dead you can purchase new ones with your peasant - giving you unlimited amount of heroes. Maybe limit heroes to one per player? (; I'd also remove the power-up tomes - in my opinion they ruin games; items are nicer.

Other than that it's an awesome map, I like the atmosphere.

Yours,
Chizume

Level 13
Thanks for pointing out these issues!
I'll fix them for the next version.

I'm not quite sure about the point with the power ups. I get your point and it might be a good idea. One second view, the items are quite expensive. I added them with the thought in mind, that players who got all items still can spend honor points. But items definitely should be more attractive in the first place.

On the other hand, removing the powerups might increase team play. So that players who got all items, would share their honor with players who got few honor... hmm dunno..

Level 4
Your towers at the bases do not have enough health or do enough damage, my game was almost over in like 5 mins...

Also, more enviromental doodads please

Level 13
I think games won't be over this fast with human players.
But yeah.. I guess towers really could use a little more health.

Anyway, they won't replace a good hero guided defense by real players.
And there are 3 possible upgrades to increase towers hitpoints by 20% for each upgrade.
But I'll change hitpoints from 500 to 750 for the next version.
So fully upgrades towers will have 1200 hitpoints.

BTW: STILL waiting for approval. Shouldn't be that hard.. ;)

Level 11
I think games won't be over this fast with human players.
But yeah.. I guess towers really could use a little more health.

Anyway, they won't replace a good hero guided defense by real players.
And there are 3 possible upgrades to increase towers hitpoints by 20% for each upgrade.
But I'll change hitpoints from 500 to 750 for the next version.
So fully upgrades towers will have 1200 hitpoints.

In my opinion they fire way too fast. I didn't have a chance to blink away with the Mage. Maybe more health, armor and attack damage - but decreased attack speed?

Sharing is caring!

Yours,
Chizume

Level 13
Jepp, sounds like a good idea!
I also just recognized, that the orcish guard towers fired much faster than alliance towers. :ain: Gonna fix this.

The next update will feature a small addition for the hunter: instead of the bear only, you may choose from 3 different pets: bear, wolf and falcon.

Level 11
I played the map again. Tried it with computer normals and they were real easy to kill, sometimes they even let the towers kill them. Also pet's brains could be improved. When I was attacking a Hero and was about to die I retreated slightly and instead of staying to take focus as I wanted it to my pet retreated as well. I don't know if it's much of a problem but my bear didn't get much candy that day :)

Anyhow, I have an idea to increase teamwork. When capturing strategic points it's only the capturer who gets an honor point, right? It gets on my nerves seeing some guy being one step ahead of me getting the point. What about giving 2 or 3 points to the main capturer and 1 point to the secondary ones? This will of course need an increase at the prices for items, but still.

Also, I played as the huntress, it was nice. I'm looking forward to the new pets. But also I kind of missed playing with her range. I have a suggestion of how it could changed to increase the use of her actual range. Her Critical Shot could do more damage the further away from her target she is. So 600 yards of range grants her maximal damage while any number below that would deal less.

And another thing. About the pets; when I use the Staff of Teleportation they are not teleported along, which causes them to walk through the whole map to get to the Hero.

Yours Truly,
Chizume

Level 13
Thank you for your detailled and constructive feedback! :)

I'm a bit unhappy with the pet control as well. I'm waiting for Vexorian to update his Indie-Summons system for the latest patches. It's a very cool system for pet handling and I've used it before. I hope he get's it done soon.

I really like the idea of using the range of the huntress. And at it's best, it's easy to do.. :) Also I'll try to make the staff of teleportation work with the pets. Expect a new version very soon!

Last edited:
Level 13
Ah ok.. I'll do so.

You may want to check out the new version. :)

The Hunter is fully implented und finished: 3 pets and the pet control/movement/behaviour now uses the IndieSummons system.

I guess the next thing I'll take care of will be overall terrain improvement.

Level 11
Greetings again,

I played as the Huntress once again, with the new pets and abilities. I have to say the longer range thingy definitely increases strategy and the fun! That pet system is also much nicer, my pets got lots of candy. The pet types are also good, perfect for their chosen jobs (tank/dps/support) - it's fun to vary them depending on what/who you are up against. And it's real hard to choose which one is my favorite, so far they are all balanced.

In terms of balance, I'd like to point out the mana cost to summon them is very low. Just a second after the pet dies I have a new one without any loss of mana as I use Strong Beer while I'm mostly undisturbed as a ranged Hero. Right now it's more efficient to let the the pet die and summon a new one instead of using the call back. I'd suggest giving the pet summon some increased mana cost to increase the importance of the pet's survival. I thought of a casting time but that would ruin the possibility to quickly adapt to new threats. A mana cost of maybe 25 ~ 75 would do good.

In terms of the visual part. The pets die when you summon a new one, looks brutal, maybe it's possible to "unsummon" it instead (same thing as now but looks more humane)? Also, about the portraits, I don't know if you like having them there for easy access to the pet itself, but with three pets it looks a little odd having two of them dead most of the time. I understand the pros and cons and am not sure myself - I'm leaving the question open for discussion.

Critical Shot can't target buildings, while Multi Shot does. I don't know if it's supposed to be, but I point it out anyway.

Sharing is caring.

Yours Truly,
Chizume

Level 15
For me 1 thing is very bad for this map.I dont like same spells for Alliance and Horde heroes.Change spells from horde heroes.Only druid can keep bear form(but change other abilities).And pls change goblin model with some other model(undead,orc,tauren,blood elf,troll) or add worgens to the alliance.

Level 35
Dude... I hate AoSes, but this one presents so many new features as well as a sexy look that I just have to say well done! Really awesome looking map, but from the sounds of it there's sill a fair few bugs to iron out. You really should have tested for all those bugs before submitting, or at least recruit testers to find them, but nonetheless, I congratulate you on your map =D

As said before, I hate AoSes, especially considering the majority of released AoSes present nothing new in their gameplay. You, however, have presented many awesome gameplay features.

5/5 (and I never give a 5/5 :p)

Level 13
Hey MogulKahn. I know what you mean, but same spell are quite esseential for the map to be really balanced and let's say good fit for clean competition. But I have in mind, to add individual heroes that are only available for one side (paladin, shaman, etc.). This would be some kind of compromise. Actually, the aim of this map is not to invent the most unique and individual heroes of wc3 map history, but to focus on competitive and team-orientated play.. or something like that.. ^^

Hi Wazzz.. thanks for the nice feedback and rating (have u rated yet? :p).
Can you give me some spot about the sound bugs?
One bug I already know so far is, that some pet sounds of the hunters can be heared all over the map.. global.. that'll be fixed.
Are there any other things (sound bugs?) to fix for the next version?
(keep in mind that this is still beta.. ;))

Last edited:
Level 13
Here comes another update that introduces two new heroes: the paladin for the alliance and the shaman for the horde.
Both characters could ech use one more characteristic spell ability. Any suggestions are welcome.

The golbin mage model has been exchanged by an ogre mage. For my tastes, it has a lot more style than the goblin.

The next update will probably focus on more and new items.

Level 6
Towers are far too weak. Makes the game end too fast. Make them very tough to destory, and strong.

Level 3
I quite liked your campaing, but I think there is one thing that really doesn't work in the solo mode. You AI-controlled allies don't buy any resource although they have a lot of money. The result is that you need to "claim gold" all time to actually do something, upgrading the tier, troops' equipment and so on. Maybe it's be easier to simply give you the income automatically.
There is another thing I didn't really understand. Why do your allies get THAT much money compared to you? I must be missing something.
I'll wait until I get a reply before rating the map because I liked it.

Level 1
I noticed the horde Advanced Death Tower and Advanced Boulder Tower both cost 60 honor, which looks to me like a bug.

Overall an excellent map, I love how the spells and abilities scale.

Level 13
New version coming soon

Hello everyone. Took me some time but I've got back to further work on this project and finish it. I hope in times of SC2 there are still some people around who care about WC3..

@Kiamati: You are right. The AI could use further work so that they buy items and such. This is on my list.

@Dresira: The honor/lumber cost of towers a bug. Thanks for pointing out; will be fixed.

@spasorc: The druid model was made by Nasrudin. Don't know wheather it is still available anywhere.

Right now I'm currently working on a large upgrade containing completely improved terrain, new items, some changes on the heores and many other improvements. I hope there are still some people here that might want to playtest soon.

Level 13
Hey... I've just put up a new version with some changes and improvements. However, the map still neds further polish. Any feedback is very appreciated and I'm still looking for good ideas. :)

I've thought about adding a third, neutral creep party to the game. Maybe a demonic gate at the top left corner of the map that spawns demonic troops. Therefore, both teams have to increase their defense at this front. They may destroy the demonic gate or not. This would enrich the gameplay depth with a front with 3 parties fighting each other.

Further, I would like to increase tactical depth in general. Right now, PvP has a very strong impact on the outcame of the game. However, I would like to add more strategics. There is some strategy already in choosing the upgrades to buy first. But I think there should be something more.. Maybe a possibility to build special buildings, that spawn particular troops or something.. Maybe someone has another idea?!

Best regards

Level 1
Oh my sweet monkey-fucking GOD! I think this is the type of map that deserves 5 stars all-around. I'll make sure to review this soon!