1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

Aeon of War

Submitted by MoCo
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
LATEST VERSION: 1.03

Change log

v1.03
- some minor fixes and balancing adjustments

v1.02
- significant improvements on hero balance
- big item re-design
- AI update: computer heroes now buy some basic equipment
- many cosmetic changes and terrain improvements
- heroes now have a fixed amount of mana since spells are not becoming more expensive at higher levels
- added minimap symbols for shops
- increased life regeneration speed at fountains
- tower strength slightly decreased
- various code tweaks
- various small adjustments
- added weather effects

v1.00
- some little adjustments and polish
v0.99
- it is no longer possible to build towers very near to strategic points
- some small adjustments (necromancer nerfed)
v0.98
- fixed a bug with the tauren druid bear form
- re-added fountains in bases
- decreased mage frost bolt damage
v0.97b
- fixed a critical bug that made it impossible for the light blue player to choose a hero in non-fullhouse games
v0.97
- Added a random score screen at game end
- added formulas to spell descriptions
- new model for horde rogue, new skin for human necro
- hitpoints of towers slightly increased
- various small fixes and adjustments
v0.96:
- significantly improved hero balance; heroes now scale 100% symmetrically
- capture points re-arranged (one at each lane)
- honor system improved: honor is now given to all nearby allies and for many events
- added new items
- all heroes are now able to attack creeps & air units
- Added a path that connects top and middle lane
- Added abilitiy preloading to improve performance/avoid first spell usage lag
- critters no longer block other units
- fixed a bug that leaving players were not been taken over by AI
- added standard of war
- various other small fixes and adjustments
v0.95: Many terrain improvements, a new Hero: Ancient protector, many new items, respawnable creeps, various changes/improvements on heroes and many other small adjustments.
v0.94: Various changes/improvements on terrain, balance, heroes, items and such.
v0.93: Another greater update. 2 new heroes: Paladin (exclusively available for alliance) and Shaman (Horde side only). The goblin mage has been exchanged by an Ogre mage. Some other small changes and updates.
v0.92: This is a huge update: new terrain and one new hero: the Necromancer
v0.91: Small huntress adjustments
v0.9: Huge Huntress update/finish: completed spells, 3 pets to choose from, pet behaviour feels more natural now
v0.87: fixed a crucial bug, that allowed players to get more than one hero, rogue: fixed a bug, that normal attacks out of stealth didn't always do critical damage
v0.86: just some little changes and bugfixes, some terrain changes

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map offers fast paced AoS gameplay on a high level of quality introducing many new features. The heroes are mostly inspired by WoW and are equipped with characteristic spells and abilities making each of them a unique playing experience. Due to a custom damage system, the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the hero's attributes and anything from normal attacks to spells may crit. Moreover, the map provides a honor system, a tactical capture point system, decent AI/bots, various items (some with special scripted effects), many new graphics and FX, no hidden imbanesses and carefully balanced heroes. Everything is fully written in vjass and works in a trim performance. The map is meant to provide a reasonable alternative to the usual dota styled AoS maps - give it a try!

SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

DAMAGE, SPELL AND ITEM SYSTEM
The power of spells and abilities scales with your hero's attributes and everything can crit: normal attacks, abilities and spells. Accordinlgy, items may increase attributes, but may also directly affect spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.

HEROES
The hero pool contains classic heroes inspired by WoW and some new ones. The choice of spells is meant to recreate the characteristic playing experience of these hero classes. Most of the heroes have at least 6 spells/abilities which increases tactical depth and options compared to the usual 4 spells. Most abilities and spells have small cooldowns so you are able to frequently use them. Therefore, most heroes require a considerable amount of micro management to be played efficiently. However, there are also some heroes requiring less micro which makes them a good choice for more relaxed casual players. Finally, the hero design enables a considerable focus on teamplay. Since the number of identical heroes is not restricted, there are countless different team-combinations.

The map features the following heroes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Druid, Rogue, Huntress, Necromancer, Paladin, Shaman, Ancient Protector.

CAPTURE POINT GAMEPLAY
The capture point system creates additional strategic depth in the game. Captured points give your team additional gold every few seconds. Gold is exclusively used as a pro-team resource that you can spend on base and troop upgrades or reinforcements.

HONOR SYSTEM
Your hero receives honor for many relevant actions like PvP, creeping, capturing strategic points, destroying enemy structures, killing enemies and heroes or healing/buffing your allies. Honor is your personal resource for hero powerup and you can spend it to buy powerful items.

BOTS AND AI
The map features AI. Of course it won't compete with real human players but it still may provide a decent challenge. You can fill up player slots with computer players as you like to get a full house everytime you want. Personally, I love playing in LAN with friends and usually it's hard to get together 10 people. Therefore, it turned out to be a nice feature to add some computer buddies.

CREDITS (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfv (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils,IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Callahan (Angy Trunk model), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Nasrudin (tauren druid model), Red XIII (WCII orc tower model), shamanyouranus (fx art, totem models), sPy (fx art), Szythe (fx art), takakenji (Ogre mage model), Tarrasque (Pandaren ninja model), Uncle Fester (Troll hunter model), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art).[/hidden]

Last but not least, thanks to the Hive Workshop for being an awesome site!

HAVE FUN PLAYING AND FEEL FREE TO REPORT ANY FEEDBACK - IT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS! :)

Keywords:
AoS, WoW, war, epic, crit, capture, defense, offense, dota, AI, bots
Contents

Aeon of War (Map)

Reviews
15:00, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: [img][c] Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended Rep Received: 5[c]Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions...
  1. 15:00, 13th Aug 2010
    ap0calypse: Approved

Update:
    [​IMG] Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43
    Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
    Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended
    Rep Received: 5
    Reasons:
    Other:
    If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
    If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
    Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Review:

Gameplay:

The heroes are just so much fun to play. They are all unique, there's a fair amount of heroes to choose from, they all exciting and custom spells to use and they're all fun to play.
    You've also kept the amount of heroes really low, to keep it simple and too complicated, making the map noob-friendly.
    The AI is just such a huge plus and it's not some really quickly made AI, they're really advanced and can be really challenging to kill.
    The items are just amazing, they are all custom and there are 2 resources, one for buying units and one for buying items for your hero.
    The items themselves are very cool, however it's frustrating how you can't sell an item you can't use.
    And the capture points are a really neat addition to the game.
    And the special effects are really flashy and fit the spells.

Terrain:

The environment is really neat, the terrain isn't flat, a lot of environmental doodads, huge trees, fitting fog effects and it's pretty well filled up.

Other:

The presentation is also very well, from the quest log to the in-game messages and the hiveworkshop description.

Overall:

An amazing AOS, very fresh, although nothing too original, but there a lot of features all packed into one map making it really interesting to play.

2. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bob: Look it's a map with a decent description!

Me: No way!

Ahem, anyways I may or may not test this later on. :)

~Pending

3. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think you should! :)

4. Freeze87

Freeze87

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesome map..,i like Terrain very much....Only bad thing is fact that map is not original but nwm i give map 5/5 And you get REP

5. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd still want other people to get in here and show me this is worth testing. :p

6. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Gonna test it as soon as I download it. Sounds awesome, though the preview is a bit blurry. Sorry, I just love good map previews.

Bad Sides:
    Terrain setup, map gameplay very similar to DoTa. Be more original!
    Heroes felt lacking. Maybe add level-up abilities.
    The Huntress' bear was annoying, as he kept running to me. Use 'Attack-move' action instead of 'Move'.
    Not much custom imports.
    Maybe add more of your own heroes.

Good Sides:
    Unoriginal, yet exceptional idea.
    The towers here are much weaker thank god!
    Added strategic point system.
    Added a cool honour point system.
    Lots of different spawned units with upgrades.
    Terrain is above decent.

Overall:
    Too DoTa like to be original, too fun to be boring. A nice map that still needs a bit of touch-ups. 4/5 and voted for approval.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dont have time 2 test map.But I ll test later.^^

8. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Aeon of War: A hero defence consisting of unique systems that make the gameplay unique and differing from dota. Players start by picking a hero each then proceeding to kill units/heroes, capture way points then eventually upgrading the troops and heroes to finally destroy the base to win.
    Although the gameplay has certain resemblance to dota, but the idea make it very unique when playing.

Opinions: I think you need to add floating text to show the amount of gold earned by killing units units, on top of that please remove the exclaimation marks from the shops and provide players with base honor points. You can choose to implement other things, this just need more polishing to be so much better.

9. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the testing and feedback! :)

I'll take care of it when I find time for a larger update.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. shadonavan

shadonavan

Resources:
    Resources:
    towers are REALLY weak. you could beef them up a bit without making them to strong. i completly dominated the towers!!!

11. Cyper95

Cyper95

Resources:
    Resources:
    HOLY CRAP AN AOS WITH AI!!!
    So gonna test this.. :p
    Expect a review in a couple of hours or something like that (Damn friends wanna play CSS 24/7 :p)

12. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Now the map has a truly beautiful map preview! And please don't strengthen the towers! I hate over-powered towers!

13. Ultimate_MapCreator

Ultimate_MapCreator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Major bug: Druids in bear form cost no food, so you can get lots of druid units that way...

14. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Also, when a hero is dead you can purchase new ones with your peasant - giving you unlimited amount of heroes. Maybe limit heroes to one per player? (; I'd also remove the power-up tomes - in my opinion they ruin games; items are nicer.

Other than that it's an awesome map, I like the atmosphere.

Yours,
    Chizume

15. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for pointing out these issues!
    I'll fix them for the next version.

I'm not quite sure about the point with the power ups. I get your point and it might be a good idea. One second view, the items are quite expensive. I added them with the thought in mind, that players who got all items still can spend honor points. But items definitely should be more attractive in the first place.

On the other hand, removing the powerups might increase team play. So that players who got all items, would share their honor with players who got few honor... hmm dunno..

16. The_Key

The_Key

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your towers at the bases do not have enough health or do enough damage, my game was almost over in like 5 mins...

Also, more enviromental doodads please

17. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think games won't be over this fast with human players.
    But yeah.. I guess towers really could use a little more health.

Anyway, they won't replace a good hero guided defense by real players.
    And there are 3 possible upgrades to increase towers hitpoints by 20% for each upgrade.
    But I'll change hitpoints from 500 to 750 for the next version.
    So fully upgrades towers will have 1200 hitpoints.

BTW: STILL waiting for approval. Shouldn't be that hard.. ;)

18. Chizume

Chizume

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my opinion they fire way too fast. I didn't have a chance to blink away with the Mage. Maybe more health, armor and attack damage - but decreased attack speed?

Sharing is caring!

Yours,
    Chizume

19. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Jepp, sounds like a good idea!
    I also just recognized, that the orcish guard towers fired much faster than alliance towers. :ain: Gonna fix this.

The next update will feature a small addition for the hunter: instead of the bear only, you may choose from 3 different pets: bear, wolf and falcon.