• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Aeon of War

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
LATEST VERSION: 1.05

v1.03
- some minor fixes and balancing adjustments

v1.02
- significant improvements on hero balance
- big item re-design
- AI update: computer heroes now buy some basic equipment
- many cosmetic changes and terrain improvements
- heroes now have a fixed amount of mana since spells are not becoming more expensive at higher levels
- added minimap symbols for shops
- increased life regeneration speed at fountains
- tower strength slightly decreased
- various code tweaks
- various small adjustments
- added weather effects

v1.00
- some little adjustments and polish
v0.99
- it is no longer possible to build towers very near to strategic points
- some small adjustments (necromancer nerfed)
v0.98
- fixed a bug with the tauren druid bear form
- re-added fountains in bases
- decreased mage frost bolt damage
v0.97b
- fixed a critical bug that made it impossible for the light blue player to choose a hero in non-fullhouse games
v0.97
- Added a random score screen at game end
- added formulas to spell descriptions
- new model for horde rogue, new skin for human necro
- hitpoints of towers slightly increased
- various small fixes and adjustments
v0.96:
- significantly improved hero balance; heroes now scale 100% symmetrically
- capture points re-arranged (one at each lane)
- honor system improved: honor is now given to all nearby allies and for many events
- added new items
- all heroes are now able to attack creeps & air units
- Added a path that connects top and middle lane
- Added abilitiy preloading to improve performance/avoid first spell usage lag
- critters no longer block other units
- fixed a bug that leaving players were not been taken over by AI
- added standard of war
- various other small fixes and adjustments
v0.95: Many terrain improvements, a new Hero: Ancient protector, many new items, respawnable creeps, various changes/improvements on heroes and many other small adjustments.
v0.94: Various changes/improvements on terrain, balance, heroes, items and such.
v0.93: Another greater update. 2 new heroes: Paladin (exclusively available for alliance) and Shaman (Horde side only). The goblin mage has been exchanged by an Ogre mage. Some other small changes and updates.
v0.92: This is a huge update: new terrain and one new hero: the Necromancer
v0.91: Small huntress adjustments
v0.9: Huge Huntress update/finish: completed spells, 3 pets to choose from, pet behaviour feels more natural now
v0.87: fixed a crucial bug, that allowed players to get more than one hero, rogue: fixed a bug, that normal attacks out of stealth didn't always do critical damage
v0.86: just some little changes and bugfixes, some terrain changes

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map offers fast paced AoS gameplay on a high level of quality introducing many new features. The heroes are mostly inspired by WoW and are equipped with characteristic spells and abilities making each of them a unique playing experience. Due to a custom damage system, the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the hero's attributes and anything from normal attacks to spells may crit. Moreover, the map provides a honor system, a tactical capture point system, decent AI/bots, various items (some with special scripted effects), many new graphics and FX, no hidden imbanesses and carefully balanced heroes. Everything is fully written in vjass and works in a trim performance. The map is meant to provide a reasonable alternative to the usual dota styled AoS maps - give it a try!

SCREENSHOTS

119593-albums2839-picture67414.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67415.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67416.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67417.jpg

DAMAGE, SPELL AND ITEM SYSTEM
The power of spells and abilities scales with your hero's attributes and everything can crit: normal attacks, abilities and spells. Accordinlgy, items may increase attributes, but may also directly affect spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.

HEROES
The hero pool contains classic heroes inspired by WoW and some new ones. The choice of spells is meant to recreate the characteristic playing experience of these hero classes. Most of the heroes have at least 6 spells/abilities which increases tactical depth and options compared to the usual 4 spells. Most abilities and spells have small cooldowns so you are able to frequently use them. Therefore, most heroes require a considerable amount of micro management to be played efficiently. However, there are also some heroes requiring less micro which makes them a good choice for more relaxed casual players. Finally, the hero design enables a considerable focus on teamplay. Since the number of identical heroes is not restricted, there are countless different team-combinations.

The map features the following heroes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Druid, Rogue, Huntress, Necromancer, Paladin, Shaman, Ancient Protector.

CAPTURE POINT GAMEPLAY
The capture point system creates additional strategic depth in the game. Captured points give your team additional gold every few seconds. Gold is exclusively used as a pro-team resource that you can spend on base and troop upgrades or reinforcements.

HONOR SYSTEM
Your hero receives honor for many relevant actions like PvP, creeping, capturing strategic points, destroying enemy structures, killing enemies and heroes or healing/buffing your allies. Honor is your personal resource for hero powerup and you can spend it to buy powerful items.

BOTS AND AI
The map features AI. Of course it won't compete with real human players but it still may provide a decent challenge. You can fill up player slots with computer players as you like to get a full house everytime you want. Personally, I love playing in LAN with friends and usually it's hard to get together 10 people. Therefore, it turned out to be a nice feature to add some computer buddies.

CREDITS (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfv (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils,IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Callahan (Angy Trunk model), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Nasrudin (tauren druid model), Red XIII (WCII orc tower model), shamanyouranus (fx art, totem models), sPy (fx art), Szythe (fx art), takakenji (Ogre mage model), Tarrasque (Pandaren ninja model), Uncle Fester (Troll hunter model), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art).[/hidden]

Last but not least, thanks to the Hive Workshop for being an awesome site!

HAVE FUN PLAYING AND FEEL FREE TO REPORT ANY FEEDBACK - IT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS! :)

Keywords:

AoS, WoW, war, epic, crit, capture, defense, offense, dota, AI, bots
Contents

Aeon of War (Map)

Aeon of War (Map)

Reviews
15:00, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended Rep Received: 5Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards...
Level 1
Hi Kl3sk, thanks for the kind words. Let me know if you have any suggestions in mind for further improvements.
I'm looking forward your review.

I'm scared MoCo, scared that this map will haunt me for an endless amount of time after playing it a second time. Why ? My first time I played Necromancer and I fell in love with the landscapes, full-skill-sets, glory / honor points, basically everything that made this beta what it is right now. If I want to review it that means I have to play it again, which by terms of awesomeness this map will tempt me to divide by 0 *gasp*.

Level 1
Hehe.. you made my day ;) Thanks.
Concerning the review, you may want to wait a few days longer (let's say 2 or 3 days) because I'm currently working on a large update. Especially in terms of terrain and layout.

You mean...there's a step beyond perfection ?!

Joke aside, I think it really is wise to tweak the terrain and paths a bit. As far as I'm concerned, the 3 lanes were too straightforward when trying to "juke". In similar AoS' like Tides of Blood and later on DotA, you'd have your 3 lanes, river, "secret" shops, and many different ways of getting to these desired locations, whilst here it's either up or down. The environment however is impeccable and I have no objections here. I can't wait to see what you have in store 8D !

Level 11
My favorite used to be Huntress but I played some Druid and realized the utility he brings to the table and he has now taken a clear first place in my heart, so to speak.

I'm happily waiting for that large update of yours.

Also it would be cool if we could play this full house, beta test or whatever you'd call it. I could probably gather 2-6 devoted players including myself.

Level 1
My favorite used to be Huntress but I played some Druid and realized the utility he brings to the table and he has now taken a clear first place in my heart, so to speak.

I'm happily waiting for that large update of yours.

Also it would be cool if we could play this full house, beta test or whatever you'd call it. I could probably gather 2-6 devoted players including myself.

NO U! Imma Beta test this baby, got dat ?!

th_Davi.png

Level 13
Hey Chizume, a full house playtest sounds like a very good idea. Especially, with some chosen players who take time to carefully play through. Since I'm on holidays now I got enough time. Gonna work on the update tomorrow! Thanks again for your support.

Level 11
Hey again, just dropped by to say two things.

1. When abilities such as Rejuvenation and Fan of Knives (multi target damage) critically hits they deal the same critical damage to all targets. This makes Rejuvenation more of a gambling tool (if it crits I can tank all things, if not; its meh) and it makes Fan of Knives look a bit odd. This is more of personal preference than actual bug report I guess.

2. The Mage's Frost Bolt can target buildings, at least the standard towers and final boss building. Not sure if intentional but if it is its op to Q crit a building ever 2 sec or so!

Happy map-making!

Level 5
Okey i played it.I played with 3 heroes, aaaaand i like the map idea.

I mean i dont like that i can upgrade unit -.-' its a waste of money since you overkill creeps anyway ..

There is only 2 capture points on a tri lane map? i vote for one more..

Terrain is kinda good, i mean it is good, and i wouldnt mind if it stays that way. ^^

I like Mage alot,

it has nice blink spell,

it has one fire one frost dmg spell,

1 protective spell [ i dont like the model of it, i vote for puting the old Lich model]
Also the spells works like this .. You take dmg.. 0.01 sec passes and you reg that dmg .. i dont know i might get killed with overkill like that..also i dont like that it blocks any dmg.. dmg block limit would be really nice..

Elemetal is melee witch suxx

And sheep is standard..

Also i can frost bolt the tower and mini stun it for a HIGH really high amount of dmg..

yeah i checked i do die with frost shield on me -.-'

soon i will test all heroes and get you my oppinion. anyway till you fix some more thing and do some more work i will rep if i like it, and rate :) anyway i like it so far gl hf in future B|

Level 2
I played a game against the bots. The AI seems to be good for testing purposes.
The gameplay seems good, maybe a capture point at the top lane would make the map more symmetric.

Problems I have found:
I can't go from toplane to middle, but it'd be good to be able to go to another lane without needing to go to back to base.
Some spellcasts cause very heavy laggs at me, for example Shaman's Earth Shock (there is also another one which I couldn't identify).
Necro's and Mage's shield bar is visible through Fog of War, so they're almost always visible on the map.
Necro's pets seem to be too powerful, a pet killed me when I was with Rouge (and I was fed).
I can see through trees, (increase their height in Object Editor to prevent this).
The Hunter's Falcon doesn't disappear upon the death of the Hunter, and it's flying unit so not targetable by some heroes.
The priests (and probably troll witch doctors too) follow the hero when healing, so you can bait them from a lane to another, and they also help the enemy to detect you.
There are no assists, and also when a tower/guard/creep kills an enemy I've lost the Honor Points and gold for him.
There are critters on the map, which have collision, so they can block you.

Rouge problems:
They could see me while I was stealthed (maybe just Hunter's Falcon).
Sprint has a long cast animation for the 5s buff, so remove the animation.
Stealth does not give no collision, so I can still be blocked by creeps (I'd recommend removing collision while stealthed and while sprinting).
Fan of Knives' animation AoE is bigger than the damage AoE.
Rouge seems to be too powerful, as I could one-shot Druids and Necros.

Suggestions (not concerning the already mentioned things):
Add movespeed to stats.
Add the damage/heal/shield formulas to the tooltips, so we can predict how much damage a spell would do.
Give +1 Honor or bonus gold to all allies upon destroying a Tower/capturing a point. (As at the loading screen it's written teamplay increases the chance to win, it should be rewarded.)
In the top-left corner there is that creep-camp, but the dragon is flying, and it can't be killed by melee heroes, and the second level dragon is even magic immune, making it unkillable.

4/5 Approved.

Last edited:
Level 13
Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback!

I'm gonna go carefully through all of these points and try to solve them.

Concerning the lag: I will add ability preloading. Let's see, if this will fix the lag. If the lag remains, I'll have to change the spells. Performance definitely has priority above everything else.

Last edited:
Level 1
Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback!

I'm gonna go carefully through all of these points and try to solve them.

Concerning the lag: I will add ability preloading. Let's see, if this will fix the lag. If the lag remains, I'll have to change the spells. Performance definitely has priority above everything else.

I agree with most aspects mentioned, but to review the map at its finest, I need to you to fix the following :

*Note, I am terrible at names.

- The item that is supposed to spawn a zombie after killing any enemy creep ...does not do just that.

- The item that transforms your enemy into a demon : does not specify that you get killed in the process ; is permanent ; the summoned demon may gain numerous levels before dying, yet he will lose them at the next summoning.

- The positions of capture / strategic points are arbitrary or random.

- The utility of strategic points is not explained and this may lead to confusion over their role. (Hints as to what they do or why you need them are welcomed)

- Top lane seems to have no purpose in being the only one to have altered terrain and neutral creeps.

- There is no command to display current hero statistics , or an "-info" command to give any tips to the player over game-play elements that aren't mentioned or highly detailed.

- Etc.

In conclusion : even if obvious improvements were made, I can't review this map at this state since I'd have to point out temporary flaws, and I don't want that. Everything I've mentioned can be fixed / added. So get cracking.

Last edited:
Level 13
Again, thanks for the thorough feedback! :)
And I guess I have to agree with most of the points mentioned.

So.. I'm gonna take care of the feedback of course and further work on the map. Let's try to get it on a level of quality that we all can say: yepp, that's it!

Therefore, new version work in progress.

@Kl3sk: I guess we wait with the review until we got anything finished and polished up to the top.

(ps: next week means vacation in amsterdam! plz have some more patience ;))

Last edited:
Level 13
One note on the capture points:
In the earlier versions of this map, there was one point at each lane. In this setup, the points had a very big influence on the outcame of the game. One team could shortly dominate the other and the points where more important than anything else. The result was a very hectic game while always keeping an eye at each front.
The current setup still uses 3 points, but two of them are very near to the team bases. So these two points are easier to hold and can be considered more safe, while the middle point provides the advantage to the team that holds it and is more competitive. Still, the points have a significant influence on the game, but it's a bit more subtle now and not as dominating as before. I guess this is a matter of taste. My original intention in the capture points was an additional strategic component. But they are not meant to dominate the central gameplay.

However, again, I could add more points so there is a point at each lane. Hmm..

Another thing I would like to improve: the honor system. Giving honor for destroying towers might be a good addition. Right now, heroes that are good at PvP will receive more honor than for example good healers. So I guess the system needs further events that are rewarded with honor.. Any ideas concerning this aspect are very appreciated.

Level 13
I'm currently working on a new version and I'm facing a problem: I was told about a bug, that won't let players pick a hero at startup and I can't reproduce it in SP or LAN. Further, I can't host any B.NET games because of my crappy router/modem device (it's port forwarding function is heavily bugged). Therefore, I need someone to host a game.

@Chizume: Maybe we could start a testing session the next days?

Level 1
I've played this a lot the past couple of days with my brothers and AIs and I really enjoy it. Actually got me to register here to let you know :D

There are some things I would like to see, if I may:

The AI is OK but I noticed they don't buy items or pick items up that you drop for them. Also, a bit more ruthlessness would be nice. So far most of them fall hopelessly behind after a few minutes. Maybe boost their xp gain?

AIs don't use their peasants at all, For a fight of human vs AI to even resemble fair we have to ignore the tower building/repairing aspect of the game, which is a real shame.

I'm not 100% sure what prompts the AI to tier up their troops but I've noticed that the opposing team tends to do it very early and my team doesn't at all. Maybe something you've built in to make an AI fight a bit more interesting. This isn't necessarily bad, just an observation.

I would like to see the top and bottom extreme corners have a resource or something. The dungeon shop is cool but not enough to keep me fighting over the top lane, and the bottom lane seems to take bends that don't do anything but slow the game down.

I totally disagree about what folks are saying about the heroes. I've played about half of them in large scale battles and I find each one to be unique and demanding in their own way, so I really can't fault you there. I actually prefer just having my skills up front; maps like this that have skills build as you level tend to demand fairly specific builds and spells tend to go obsolete late game as items and stats make autoattacks much better. I love what you've done here, please don't change it :)

I would like to see more items, so far you've got chest, weapon and feet with a couple of trinkets on the side. To avoid bloat and inventory crunch, you could allow us to combine items into sets? To avoid craziness you could restrict it to a combine of 2, maybe 3 items per inventory slot as new items are added.

As it is now, you don't need to worry about inventory crunch but if you expand the items you can buy then it will be necessary to find a way to deal with it. I agree with what folks have said about power up books, add more items and ditch 'em.

I've not had this bug, we've played several games over the past three or four days with a lot of different people and the hero select bug simply isn't there for us. Not sure what that dude was doing but I'll post if I see it.

Anyway I hope this is helpful and I eagerly await the next version :D

Level 13
Hey kadim, thanks for your feedback! I will definitely take care of your points.

BTW: I had a large playtest on yesterday evening that helped me a lot. So the next version will be a very huge upgrade in many ways.

Improvements like better AI and more items have to go on the waiting list since there is a lot of other stuff to do first. Things you may expect in the upcoming version: more team-oriented honor system, new capture points, significant improvements on hero balance (right now, heroes don't scale up 100% symmeterically so in very long games some heroes might get op at high levels), and many other fixes and adjustments.

Thanks for the support + kind regards!

Level 1
Ran into a strange thing earlier today in a game vs the ai. We were messing around 2v4 and after a couple of kills, 2 of the AIs stopped respawning. Their info showed them as level 0 and we never saw them again.

This doesn't seem to happen when we have a full team of 5 but it seems to do strange things when you reduce the number.

Uh how come Mages can't use the item Thunderstorm? I first had another 'powerful' weapon which I had bought from the special shop in the center of the map and when I bought Thunderstorm, it said I already had the other one, so I sold it and tried picking up Thunderstorm, but it didn't let me.
edit: After some time my water elemental just won't move anymore, I can't make him move either, I resummoned him, still didn't do anything.
edit: A way to heal yourself in your base would be nice.
edit: Oh nvm int heroes can't use thunderstorm.
edit: Don't you think intelligence heroes get a bit op after some time? I was literally killing heroes with one frostbolt, dealing around 500 damage. Maybe add a limit to the spells.
edit: Maybe increase the Ancient Protector's selection size, really hard to target him. He also keeps disappearing behind very small doodads.
edit: Oh and how about a better ending, when a fortress is destroyed, pause the units, show the credits, the map author, ...

Last edited:
Level 13
Hey Vengeancekael, thanks for the feedback.

Theoretically, the frostbolt scales like all other abilities and spells. However, the FB is currently one of the most powerful spells. So it may need a small damage reduction.
I'll take care of the other points you've mentioned for the next release. Showing some scores and credits at game end would be fine. Right now the ending is pretty.. lame I guess.

@cleavinghammer: I've removed the fountain in 0.96. I think I'll add some healers in base that can be killed.
Concerning the mages ice barrier: I've already nerved it a bit in 0.96.

I think I will add info about the damage formulas of the spells so people can understand how damage is calculated. This could get useful for map testers to spot balance issues. I guess finding the perfect balance in the hero abilities is quite a tough job.

Level 11
About the frost shield, have you tried something different than giving back the health?

1. If you do not differentiate damage types you could use that basic spell shield (don't remember if you do).
2. You can also use that hardened skin ability which reduces damage by a flat amount but maybe that then annihilates the ability to count damage taken while shielded.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

Level 1
Awesome game except for one major issue, when Horde spawns a dragon it is spawned on top of the Alliance castle, but when the Alliance makes dragons they spawn normally. The Horde catapults appear to be completely unaffected though.

Level 8
It feels pretty solid AoS map and nice terrain but I think you should make towers a bit stronger. Also capturing control points is pain in the ass since attack acquistion range is so high please make it a bit lower.

Level 3
Well i couldn't test yet due to crashed game, but Discription looks very very awesome. i have seen on screenshots, you must update Hero names and some units sizes, example
Wood Gnome near to a shop, hm little large to be gnome... :ogre_hurrhurr:
Ancient Protectors are Nightelven, you could put some Elven names instead of Dwarven names like Huggin Ironcliff
:fp:Ghost Thurst said that map is far too much alike DotA, man that sucks, make it more original :wink:

Good Job on discription :thumbs_up:

Level 13
Hey Warchief_Aeon, thanks for the feedback.

Raj_3 also mentioned crashes in some b.net games. Really an ugly issue because I have no idea what could be causing them. Further, the map uses a hell of jass systems, scripts etc. that are all linked in some way so it's nearly impossible to look through everything and find out what's wrong.. :( I wish I could reproduce the crashes. Any help on this bug or hints on what may be causing the crashes are extremly appreciated.

I have to disagree with your friend in thinking this map is too much like DotA. It's an AoS as well for sure, but besides, there are really many different/new gameplay aspects. You should test this for yourself for sure. Names for the ancient are already fixed for the next release btw. ;)

Level 3
heh...

Actually i din't mean Crash by crashing when i go play the map, my Entire game has crashed and has a virus inside th CD that crashed by computer for a dew months... I yet don't have the Frozen Throne Version only the Reign of Chaos...

Ghost Thurst is actually not my friend, i just read his comment to inspire what i would say. And is hard to define if a map is alike the other on AOS types, because the style is too simple and all maps got nearly the same looks, triggers and those things besides, i don't like DotA kinds and AOS i think them boring i prefer campaings and Melee (melee and Alrtered Melee) and Hero Arenas like Fortress Siege also rocks a lot...

:fp:But Nice Work :ogre_haosis:

Level 13
Here's a new version.

@NightElf125: Thanks. Well, I'm running out of ideas concerning items. And new spells will require new heroes. Mhh.. there is still space for some more heroes. Any suggestions on items and heroes? :)

I would also love to add a lot more custom models, skins and stuff. But I want to keep the map size as small as possible for battle.net. I think the current size of 2.5mb is MAX.

Level 17
BAD:

rlly good map, but why no well of life near base, like in the old versios

the tauren druid have a bug, when u want to change to bear form, u transform into a hero that has abilities of the normal and the bear form

the ancient protectors second ability is too boring and the animation is a little bit too big, maybe u can remake this ability, the hero has only 4 abilities and 2 are passive, boring to play

u wrote "abilities" with 2 "L" ("abillities") in the hero selection, and the horde archer u wrote sth like "ablities", but i shouldnt complain, it isnt important and my english isnt better

GOOD:

Shaman-Remake! now much better
Honor now given to nearby allies
panda rouge!

hurry up with the new version, i want to play it on the next LAN-party :D

i like this map 5/5

Last edited:
Level 13
Hey GIMLI_2! Thanks for the feedback. I'll take care of your points for the next release. When I designed the ancient, I had a hero in mind that should be easy to play for casual gamers that don't know what's micro management (some of my friends I guess). However, you're right. I'll think about making him a bit more interesting to play.

Level 17
nice! the 2 points that are better in the old versions are the fountain in base and the non-bugged druid, i understand that u need to make easy hero, i have my own map.

i have a question... can i have the link to the nice tauren druid model? :D i like it so much